[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Killian was originally a woman.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 18
File: aldrich killian.jpg (7 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
aldrich killian.jpg
7 KB, 284x177
http://uproxx.com/movies/shane-black-the-nice-guys-iron-man-3/

Holy Hell.
>>
>We all thought they’d eat it up because it never occurred to us the Mandarin is as iconic to people as, say, the Joker in Batman.
lol
>>
>>82822942
Are they not right?
>>
>>82822843
Im more surprised the change was so they could sell more toys. Or that was the excuse.
Because they didn't really made many/any Killian toys.
>>
>>82822942
>MUH MANDARIN

do people actually give a shit? it was a nice little twist on the classic superhero villain. comic sources arent sacred. he's a c-tier villain, who cares?
>>
>Was that a hard shoot? I’ve seen Downey say it was a great experience, but I’ve asked Kevin Feige about “hardest Marvel movies to make” and he said Iron Man 3.

We had troubles. Memories are short. You can go through hell together, then six months later go, “That was kind of fun, wasn’t it, John?” The good news is, Downey and I seem to get on pretty well. We’ll bicker now and again, but to me just having him on board elevates the material. So, the toughness was in the logistics instead of the relationships. That’s the good news. We replaced a lot of things. The plot went this way and that way. Stéphanie Szostak’s character was bigger at one point and we reduced it. Rebecca Hall’s character was bigger at one point and we reduced it.

>Why? Rebecca Hall’s character does have an abrupt ending.

All I’ll say is this, on the record: There was an early draft of Iron Man 3 where we had an inkling of a problem. Which is that we had a female character who was the villain in the draft. We had finished the script and we were given a no-holds-barred memo saying that cannot stand and we’ve changed our minds because, after consulting, we’ve decided that toy won’t sell as well if it’s a female.

>What?

So, we had to change the entire script because of toy making. Now, that’s not Feige. That’s Marvel corporate, but now you don’t have that problem anymore.

>Ike Perlmutter is gone.

Yeah, Ike’s gone. But New York called and said, “That’s money out of our bank.” In the earlier draft, the woman was essentially Killian – and they didn’t want a female Killian, they wanted a male Killian. I liked the idea, like Remington Steele, you think it’s the man but at the end, the woman has been running the whole show. They just said, “no way.”

Damn, this is the second time in a couple of weeks that some director is saying how difficult Ike was. Russos also said that the atmosphere is better now that Perlmutter is no longer there.
>>
>>82823129
Just because people in general don't care about the Mandarin doesn't mean no one does. It's like watching a Batman movie and Joker turns out to be Crispus Allen. Sure, it's a big twist, but you just wasted the Joker.
>>
>The gender of the character was changed solely because a female action figure wouldn't sell.

Holy shit.

Wait, were there ever action figures of Killian at all?
>>
>>82823000
>>82823129
That's stupid reasoning though. I love Zemo but the writers and directors could have said the same things about him. Except they did a good job with his characterization even if they did change things. They had the chance to redeem Mandarin and make him cool and they instead decided to write off the character altogether as racist.
>>
>>82823136
>Perlmutter is no longer there
You just had a guy who was around, who wanted to save as much money as you could.
In his mind, on most ethical aspects, you weren't there to live like a king, you were there to survive.
>reading that one article where Perlmutter fishes a paper clip outta the garbage cause he knew it was useful for another stack of papers
>>
>>82823129
I don't really care about the character so much as the trailer made him look so badass that it was a huge let down.
>>
>>82822843
I do appreciate how Shane sincerely thinks he screwed up and wishes he did better.
>>
So what I gather is that Kevin Feige is a total bro and Ike is an absolute nightmare to work with. Is that true?
>>
>>82822942
they're right
>>
>>82822843
I don't know who that is or why I should care
>>
>>82823129
I said the same thing about cloud Galactus but everybody shit on me for it
>>
>>82823224
Pretty much what's been alluded to increasingly for the past 5 or so years,
>>
>>82823187
Not that I can see. Killian got some dumb Minimates figure.
>>
Literally no one gives a shit about the Mandarin.

He is not a great villain, he's only remembered as Iron Man's archnemesis.

Anyone claiming otherwise is a liar.
>>
>>82823255
Galactus is iconic as fuck, anon. Yeah you deserved to be shit on.
>>
>>82823187
There were many rumors that Perlmutter didn't want to make a Black Widow and Captain Marvel movie because he thinks they won't sell. He let Feige do Captain Marvel and Black Panther on the condition that he'll make Inhumans (since he's the one that keeps pushing them in the comics and wants to replace the X-Men).

Now that Perlmutter is no longer there, Feige just announced that he's commited to doing a Black Widow movie and also delayed Inhumans. Makes me think there's some truth to all these rumors.
>>
>>82823129
I remember when the Mandarin was announced as the villain and how everyone on /co/ were “literally who?” The vast majority of this board didn't knew shit about this character before the movie came out.
>>
>>82823187
no I wager that was more of a larger excuse to hide one of two truths:
1. They didn't think Audiences would warm up to the idea of a major female Villain. In fairness it holds wait short of Disney Princess films you will find very few movies where the bad guy being a woman work that didn't boil down to "she was a whore"
2. They didn't want Robert and company beating the shit out of a woman. Stupid as it sounds there are still hang ups of a good guy beating up a bad girl because it could be seen as encouraging spousal abuse.
>>
File: st vincent.gif (386 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
st vincent.gif
386 KB, 500x281
>>82823136
>We had finished the script and we were given a no-holds-barred memo saying that cannot stand and we’ve changed our minds because, after consulting, we’ve decided that toy won’t sell as well if it’s a female.

God damn Ike really is a fucking stereotype.
>>
>>82823294
Seeing how the Inhumans are in the dreaded "In the works" phase. It's likely going to be stuck in development hell because no one apart from Perlmutter wants to make it.
>>
>>82823281
This

The only people that actually got mad were movie fans who claim lifelong comic readership when instead they go to wikipedia before every midnight showing to get their info.
>>
More Perlmutter talk, Russo bros edition.

Even Dupree is on cable television on a never-ending loop.

>Anthony Russo: To be honest with you, before we did Winter Soldier, Dupree was by far the most commercially successful thing we’ve ever done. Almost the only commercially successful thing we’ve ever done.

>Joe Russo: Also, it’s the thing we’ve felt we had the least amount of control over, with that movie than anything we’d ever done in our career. So, if we were going to go back to movies, we were going to do it in a way where we had great creative control.

It is surprising Marvel qualifies as that.

>Joe Russo: There’s this misperception about the way that Marvel works. You have to remember, too, it’s a very different place than it was two years ago.

Right. Someone [CEO of Marvel entertainment Isaac Pearlmutter] who used to be there isn’t there anymore.

>Joe Russo: He’s not there anymore.

So even to you, you can tell that big of a difference?

>Joe Russo: Oh my God.

>Anthony Russo: It is different. We obviously have to see our vision of the movie to Kevin Feige. Our job is to go, here’s the movie we want to make, and sell it to him.

And he’s a fan.

>Joe Russo: But it’s no different than the process at any other studio where you’re dealing with a studio head who is writing a check for hundreds of millions of dollars.

>Anthony Russo: Kevin would then have to then sell that vision to “someone else.” Now he doesn’t have to.
>>
>>82823294
>Feige just announced that he's commited to doing a Black Widow movie and also delayed Inhumans

I will put money on a Black Widow movie coming out on the date Inhumans was supposed to come out.
>>
>>82823343
I'm starting to wonder if the toy excuse is just an excuse.

Just a reason the executives give when they don't want to reveal a delicate truth.
>>
>>82823179
>doesn't mean no one does
no im pretty sure no one fucking does
>>
>>82823309
"No one knows this character, so let's just do whatever with it" is kind of a lame reasoning. No one knew Iron Man before 2008, but then he was introduced to a larger audience and is now a household name, no reason they couldn't have done that with the Mandarin, hell, according to Jon Favreau, that's what they WERE going to do with the Mandarin, hence the Ten Rings in IM1.
>>
>>82822942
It's true, Muh Mandarin fags were just an extremely vocal minority who shit up message boards around the web
>>
>>82823129
I have only literally ever seen two Mandarin stories recommended in the forty plus years he's been around. One was an annual in Fraction's run where he's basically Kim Jong Il, the other was a mini-series set in Tony's early days where the story was okay but the artwork was better. Maybe three if you can't the Armored Adventures version where he's basically a completely different character who actually has a personal connection to Tony.

People may rag on movie Tony for only fighting evil businessmen but there's a very good reason for that. Before he fought evil businessmen he only fought Communist saboteurs and industrial knock-offs of his own tech, neither made for compelling enemies.
>>
what annoys me most about mandarin is that marvel is too pussy to have a major villain that isnt white/american/european. it triggers my autism that every villain is an obsessed, rich, white, american or german male. its literally racism. and here they have a chance to make a badass middle eastern villain and they shit on our chests.
>>
>>82823377
>>82823281
to be fair they were setting up mandarin since iron man 1
>>
>>82822843
So what I'm getting is that Killian would've probably been Maya Hansen, like in the original story, but Ike the Kike shut it down for toy sales, when the only figure of Killian was in a lego set. What a disaster this movie was.
>>
>>82823224
Yeah pretty much. Favreau just came back to the MCU as an executive producer just as Perlmutter was sacked too.

>I’m going to be executive producing the Avengers films with the Russo brothers, which I’m very excited about,” Favreau told Digital Spy. “I talk to them about it all the time. I’ve worked both in front of and behind the camera with Marvel and I really love what they’re doing right now. It’s a really exciting time to be over there. I’ve seen a rough cut of Civil War and it’s fantastic.
>It’s a really exciting time to be over there.

Ding dong the witch is dead and all that.
>>
>>82823129
I was expecting a combination of M. Bison from SF and Kane from C&C, and all I got was a Seltzer and Friedberg version of the Batman Begins' twist.
>>
>>82822843
well that explains why he kicks Tony's ass and is defeated by Pepper
>>
>>82823507

That's not how racism works.
>>
>>82823261
I thought people hated fergie
"muh quips" or something like that

I'm not a casual, just a DCfag changing ships
>>
>>82823541
Gril power, amirrite?
>>
>>82823136
>Stéphanie Szostak’s character was bigger at one point and we reduced it

>we could have had more crazy firebug cutie amputee waifu and we didn't

THANKS FEIGE
>>
File: 00001007.jpg (70 KB, 230x242) Image search: [Google]
00001007.jpg
70 KB, 230x242
>>82823539
>I was expecting a combination of M. Bison from SF and Kane from C&C, and all I got was a Seltzer and Friedberg version of the Batman Begins' twist.

The only part of this sentence I understand is the Batman Begins twist.
>>
>>82823408
>What delicate truth?
What how bad a truth is that saying "we don't like a female character because it doesn't sell toy" would be a softer delivery than the actual truth?

I mean, it's not like there hasn't been Female villain before? And in the original comic, the villain with the Extremis arc was for all intent and purpose Maya.

So what kind of turth would prevent Maya to be the villain in the movie?
>>
>>82823592
Read the interview, it wasn't Feige. Perlmutter was the one who didn't want those things and made Shane Black change the plot.
>>
>>82822843
>Female character won't sell toys
>Non-description man in leisure suit will
All the kids love them business men, I guess?
>>
File: EllenBrandt4-IM3.png (2 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
EllenBrandt4-IM3.png
2 MB, 1920x800
>>82823592
>tfw no extremis gf
>>
File: w.png (21 KB, 261x200) Image search: [Google]
w.png
21 KB, 261x200
I loved Iron Man 3.
>>
>>82823734
I don't think it's bad, but can't see why you would LOVE it, to me it's just a bunch of wasted potential.
>>
>>82823281
It's true, I don't care about him, but I thought they fucked up the movie with that reveal. There were basically 3 interesting characters in the movie:
>Stark
>(Fake) Mandarin
>Maya Hansen

Killian is fucking boring, as Justin Hammer had already had that part.

So, they kill Maya, and they reveal Mandarin is not the villain, they diffuse any sort of tension in the movie and it becomes a dumb "rescue muh gf plot", with a side of "look at all my armors".
>>
>>82823585
People hate Whedon for muh quips.

Feige is pretty much the one that keeps this whole ship going. Now I'm not saying he doesn't do stupid shit, but from what other people say about him and reading some of the Sony emails, he seems like the one dude that has his shit together and knows what he's doing.

>Shane Black: But just so you know, too, I’m a Kevin Feige fan. If you ever say anything about decisions made at Marvel, I hope you’ll qualify it by saying that Kevin Feige is the guy who gets it right. And I don’t know if it was Ike, I don’t know who it was. They never told me who made the decision, we just got that memo one day and it was about toy sales. That’s all I know.
>>
>>82823698
more than a chick in a pantsuit. This is why the Hilary Clinton Action playset failed.
>>
>>82823761
I am willing to admit the shit-load of flaws and plot holes it has, but I'll be damned if it wasn't fun and much different from standard MCU fare - it has such a different vibe than most superhero movies, I can't put my finger on it, but something about it is highly appealing to me.

I also thought the Mandarin twist was great solely because of how unexpected and risky it was. Most superhero movies never have the balls to do something like that.
>>
>>82823564
Technically, there is some institutionalized racism/sexism in MCU works. There is a predisposition to villains being male and eurocentric / Caucasian in demeanor. Which movies, outside of the one that is in space, is the villain not a white male?
>>
>>82823761
It's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with power armor.
>>
>>82822843
Huh. That actually makes a lot of sense. If you merged Killian and Hansen it would've made for a much better developed antagonist.
>>
>>82823129
>villain looks great in the trailers
>possibility of better exploration an getting more focus on Ten Rings, a group that was teased since the first movie
>get the lamest villain imaginable instead
Fuck off if you're too stupid to see why people are not satisfied. Batman Begins already did that twist, and did it good unlike IM3.
>>
>>82823734
It's not bad, but it's interesting to see that it could've been a lot better were it not for Ike the Kike Pike.

Heck, that and Thor 2 were shafted because of directors not wanting to deal with him. Even AoU would've probably been better without him. Only the franchises nobody cared about suceeded creatively: Cap 2, GotG and Ant-Man.

Looks like phase 3 might have a bunch more heavy hitters, and the directors hiring choices certainly indicate more towards the Gunn/Russo side of things, approach-wise.
>>
>>82823820
In first avenger, the villain is a red male. He does masquerade for a while as a white person, but when he gives up on working with the nazis he takes off the mask, which was surely the movie exploring the idea of minorities trying to make themselves more "white" to fit in and gain social standing. Also, the villain of Age of Ultron is a robot.
>>
>>82822942
>>82822843
fucking cucks, IM3 is trash
>>
>>82823820
>Which movies, outside of the one that is in space, is the villain not a white male?

You've made a logical error, which is that how many Marvel villains are not white males to begin with?

Stane, Kingpin, Loki, Cross, Red Skull, etc are classically depicted as white guys.

Raja in Iron Man 1 was a middle eastern terrorist. He was originally Vietnamese in the comics.
>>
>>82823734
It's one of my favorite MCU flicks too

I think the hate comes from expectations. I remember watching the trailers for IM3 and being like "fuck this looks gay they're just trying to make their own TDKR" (they both came out around the same time)

But then the movie was totally different from what the trailer sold it as, and I loved it. I could see how someone who was hyped off the trailer would be disappointed, but IMO we got the better of two story options
>>
>>82823820

That still doesn't make it racist.
>>
>>82822843

>people wnated magic laserbeams

NO

PEOPLE WANTED THE GUY YOU COCK TEASED US WITH
>>
Shane black is a cunt and I hope this piece of shit movie he's doing bombs hard
>>
I want AIM to come back. Where the fuck is MODOK.

You could make a really creepy/awesome live action MODOK.
>>
i didn't get mad at the Mandarin twist, but having him using his rings on screen would have made for a great action scene, which the Iron Man series was lacking in, especially against the main villain. Looking back, the only action stuff I remember from IM3 is that great airplane rescue scene, and then a part where a big suit runs though a storage container or something.
>>
File: fake tears.gif (1 MB, 245x220) Image search: [Google]
fake tears.gif
1 MB, 245x220
>>82824040
>Shane black is a cunt and I hope this piece of shit movie he's doing bombs hard
>>
>>82824098

His new movie looks like my kind of movie.
>>
>>82824040
it's going up agains Angry Birds, Neighbors 2, and Civil War it's probably going to
>>
>>82823634
It's better than saying "she wouldn't put out. So we won't put her out."
>>
>>82823734
I thought it was entertaining and Mandarin twist actually had me giggling.

I only wish they were couple of more Iron Man scenes, Shane is pretty gud at making those. When I saw army of Iron Man suits I immediately thought "I want Tony to change from one costume to another mid-air" and Shane actually delivered.
>>
>>82823634
the truth is that disney and marvel are both a bunch of cucks and they are terrified of being called racist or sexist or whatever by critics. they wont have a female villain unless she is in a female hero's movie. they wont have an arab villain either. all villains must be the same rich, obsessive, white males.

its all coming down from higher-ups who deal with company image and pr and stuff to dilute the universe and trash can the real movies we were meant to see.
>>
File: 1463100537273.gif (986 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
1463100537273.gif
986 KB, 500x270
>start of Iron Man 3
>AIM
>Killian showing Pepper his giant brain
>oh shit, Mandarin is a sham and he will turn into MODOK
>house attack scene happens
>movie goes to shit
>predictable Mandarin twist
>Killian is just a regular flamming faggot
>wasted AIM for this
>>
>>82822843
SJW outrage when?
>>
>>82824245
My biggest problem with the movie is that Rhodes didn't do anything as Iron Patriot. He was just a dude in distress for most of the movie and then when it came to the big free-for-all Iron Man suit battle, Tony just went "lol sorry no suit for you." It was a bummer because I really wanted to see him kick some ass in a suit.
>>
>>82823848
Basically why I love it too. I can understand why it disappointed people and it has its flaws, but I went in expecting Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Don Cheadle instead of Val Kilmer and that was what I got.
>>
>Would you do another Iron Man? Downey seems to have changed his position and is open to another.

>I think he wants Mel Gibson to direct it.

Well /co/, would you mind another one?
>>
>>82824402
i was also waiting for tony to give rhodes a kick ass new war machine suit and he got nothing.

this movie had such potential in so many areas and managed to deliver nothing.
>>
>Mel Gibson potentially directing Iron Man 4

fuck, I'm hyped
>>
>>82823129
>get awesome looking villain teased
>twist is funny
>the villain he's replaced with is laughably bland at best
Its not about people liking the mandarin, but why ruin a good thing for the sake of a cheap joke?
>>
File: 54e646b307a43.jpg (55 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
54e646b307a43.jpg
55 KB, 850x850
>>82824447
I'd love more Iron Man

IRON MAN4: FIN FANG FOOM or GREY GARGOYLE
>>
>>82824545
Ghost
>>
>>82822942
That's absolutely correct.
>>
>>82823197
Comics Zemo is actually a good villain, though.

The Mandarin is generic at best.
>>
File: SilverSurferGrabsJohnny-FF2.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1554) Image search: [Google]
SilverSurferGrabsJohnny-FF2.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1554
>>82823255
Are you still here, famm? Rise of the Silver Surfer was kino tier.
>>
>>82824401
Never, they won't care about this because women are perfect and can't be supervillains
>>
>>82823294
>Perlmutter tried to stop a Black Widow movie
My hero.
>>
>>82823634
That hollywood is sexist as fuck
See: Black widow is the blandest character in the avengers and a glorified love interest passed around from guy to guy
>>
>>82823734
I liked the whole movie until tony blowed his robots on the ending just for... a woman. BRAVO MARVEL
>>
>>82823290
No, man, just look!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cYCnxSzwNI
>>
What could have been...

FUCKING HACK REEEE
>>
>>82822843
who?
>>
>>82824686
You know what makes it worse? The one shot they made that confirms the legit Mandarin is out there in the MCU and we will never ever fucking see him because the fake Mandarin was the gimmick of Iron Man 3.
>>
>>82823129
>>82822942
They wasted the Mandarin in a twist that only brought out an even lamer villain. So they wasted AIM as well.

Granted the movie sucked for more reasons than that
>>
File: The-Mandarin-Ben-Kingsley-1.jpg (26 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
The-Mandarin-Ben-Kingsley-1.jpg
26 KB, 600x360
I'm not really bothered with the twist, but more dissapointed that they waste Ben Kingsley on such a shitty role.
That's worse than wasting him on a generic villain.
>>
>>82824598

are we gonna call all the bad capeshit movies kino now?
>>
>>82824745
Trevor IS Mandarin, it was a prank bro XD
>>
>>82824755
>They wasted the Mandarin in a twist that only brought out an even lamer villain.
You can't "waste" something that's worthless to begin with.
>>
>>82824803
more memes, keep it up kid
>>
File: spider-man villains and others.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1537) Image search: [Google]
spider-man villains and others.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1537
>>82824365
>they wont have an arab villain either

Raja was the villain of Iron Man 1, working for Stane.

Also, most Marvel villains are white men to begin with.
>>
>>82824803
Yeah so fuck it lets not try. AIM could have carried a movie by themselves. Build of the themes of Iron Man 2.

Hell as an Anon mentioned they could have brought in a AI/HAL version of Modok
>>
>>82825030
They did try.

>Build of the themes of Iron Man 2.
What themes? IM2 was a disorganized mess.
>>
>>82825075
Maybe not themes but ideas. The central problem in Iron Man 2 was the threat of people replicating the Iron Man tech and mass producing it.

Whiplash showed it was possible. AIM could easily have been the legit company reproducing it.

MODOK being an evil Jarvis also works
>>
Maya Hansen was fucking hot as fuck.
>>
>>82823819
TIH, TWS, GotG, and CW all fit the bill of having a different vibe than most superhero movies in addition to being better constructed films than IM3.

Mandarin twist was the best part of IM3, I'll agree.
>>
>>82823784
Pretty much this.
The reveal would have been amazing if they had anything to fill the hole it left.
>>
Was she going to bang Pepper on the intercom of a home depot?
>>
>>82823625
Basically he was expecting a charismatic and powerful world conquerer type character, and we got a poor man's variant on the "lolnope, the real villain is THIS GUY."

I'm curious if there would've been nearly as much dislike towards the IM3 twist if Killian was actually good.
>>
There were never, ever any "Mandarin fans".

He was an outdated villain from the 60s, only noteworthy because historically in the comics Iron Man has never had good villains.

Spergs just get triggered any time an adaptation isn't 100% faithful to the source material.
>>
I'm a Shane Black turbofan and loved Iron Man 3, but even I could see Maya Hanson as a character was the victim of re-writes. Her character arc made literally no sense and they wouldn't get a decent name like Rebecca Hall for a character who has something like four scenes.

And I'm glad he finally confirmed Hail To The King was made as some kind of scared corporate response instead of artistic decisions.
>>
>>82825633
I've always been a huge Mandarin fan, actually. I love the idea of his magic rings.
>>
File: 1460429506868.png (140 KB, 349x388) Image search: [Google]
1460429506868.png
140 KB, 349x388
>we will never have a hot female villain
>>
Who would they even use for IM4? They could turn back the scales and use Ghost, which would be cool.
>>
>>82823129
What we saw in the trailer didn't look anything like the source material, but still looked really cool.
What we got in the movie was fucking pathetic
>>
>>82825801
Or they could just not make an Iron Man 4. 3 solo movies and major roles in 6 others is plenty.
>>
File: 3074845-iron+man+#128+-+page+1.jpg (381 KB, 969x1500) Image search: [Google]
3074845-iron+man+#128+-+page+1.jpg
381 KB, 969x1500
>>82825801
>>
>>82825801

>Armor Wars
>Fin Fang Foom
>Mask In The Iron Man/Evil AI Suits
>Ezekiel Stane

They have some options.
>>
>>82825739
>huge Mandarin fan
>magic rings
>>
>>82825839
They already sabotaged that one by half-assing it in 2.
>>
>>82825851
They're not real magic, but they may as well be.
>>
>>82825839
already done in based IM2
>>
>>82825427
>I'm curious if there would've been nearly as much dislike towards the IM3 twist if Killian was actually good.

No. The biggest problem with the twist is that the movie fails to provide an actual villain anywhere close to the threat and presence it built for the fake villain. Killian is basically the same as any of the other Extremis goons we saw in the film, except he tries to be intimidating in chinos and loafers.
>>
>>82825874
By that reasoning Tony might as well fly around in a magic suit of armor.
>>
>>82823294
>Commited to do a Black Widow movie

was actually

>Out of these characters, the one we'd like to make a solo movie about the most is Black Widow.

There's no commitment, and there will likely never be a Black Widow movie.
>>
>>82825761
>>
>>82825907
Tony's armor is at least scientifically feasible (it's a suit of armor with jet packs and guns). The Mandarin's rings are super alien science that couldn't be replicated on Earth in a billion years.
>>
>>82823129
>nice little twist
And that's all it was. We had a perfect on screen villain that was actually threatening throughout the film who didn't even go face to face with Stark once with what could have been scary fucking powers.

And then White Business Man No. 3 comes in.
>>
>>82825997
>Tony's armor is at least scientifically feasible

It's really not. Hell, in the movies it actually runs on space magic.
>>
>>82826031

>who didn't even go face to face with Stark once with what could have been scary fucking powers.

Kingsley is 400 years old, any action scenes with hi would have looked like complete shit. It would have been the Revenge of the Sith Palpatine fights all over again.
>>
>>82822843
Couldn't they have just tied the rings with Asgard or use it as a backdoor way to introduce Iron Fist/Dr. Strange?
>>
>>82826076
Dude. Its 10 rings doing the powers for him. He can just stand there and wave his arms and let the CGI gods do the work.
>>
File: 1462630421685.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1462630421685.gif
2 MB, 300x300
>>82822843
>Which is that we had a female character who was the villain in the draft. We had finished the script and we were given a no-holds-barred memo saying that cannot stand and we’ve changed our minds because, after consulting, we’ve decided that toy won’t sell as well if it’s a female.
>>
>>82826117
This. Also it would've been fantastic if he was actually 400 years old and kept alive by alien tech or some shit.
>>
>>82823343

Dammit if I don't think that's from Utopia every time I see it.
>>
>>82824777

Only the old ones
>>
>>82823734
I don't think it was remotely inspired enough to be worth the divisive discussion it conjures.
>>
>>82825836
thisthisthisthisthisthis
Save it for the reboot in 2029.
>>
>>82825160
I'm now imagining Paul Bettany's disembodied and enlarged floating head as an MCU villain
>>
>>82825836
That'd be the best option, but I'm operating under the assumption that they're making one.
>>
>>82823115
Mandarin
>>
>>82823396
Why even bother after Infinity Wars?
>>
>>82824755
I wouldn't call the Mandarin twist a waste at all. It did what it set out to do, and it did it very well. But yes, Killian was pretty bad.
>>
>>82822843
well, Killian being butthurt for being stood up makes a whole lot of sense now
>>
>we will never have a hot FemMandarin
>>
>>82822843
I STILL WANT TO BUST SHANE BLACKS HACK TEETH PUT FOR CHEATING ME OUT OF A MANDARIN FIGHT I HATE HIM SO FUCKING MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>82824365
>hey wont have a female villain unless she is in a female hero's movie

That's not why they wouldn't let him do it.

They were told no because kids don't buy female toys. Which is funny when you realize that they didn't make any toys of the villains anyway.
>>
>>82823129
The hints in Iron Man 1 (I just re-watched all three last week) really were very sexy and teasing for an Iron Man fan. Iron Man 3 killed it all, and brought up some potential issues that weren't explained, so yeah I was kind of disappointed.

That said, the Mandarin switch was actually cool and well done which helped.
>>
>>82825905
And think that's exactly what he meant. Had Killian or anyone else been able to make up for the Mandarin twist, people wouldn't have felt cheated.
>>
>>82825905
Also the white guy is the real villain was done twice already in the previous 2 films
>>
>>82825975
>hot
...eh
>>
>>82824402
>My biggest problem with the movie is that Rhodes didn't do anything as Iron Patriot.
Yeah, that was probably one of the more hamfisted "Hey, you remember this thing? From the comics?" moments in the MCU, with no real payoff.

If it had been an easter egg, like one of the background suits was Iron Patriot, that would have been fine, but they set it up like it was going to be a big deal, and it just wasn't.
>>
Gentlemen, how do you fix the Mandarin in the comics?
>>
This is some dumb logic, even for a grubber like Ike.

Imagine being a kid in a toy store; you're walking down the aisle with all the Iron Man 3 toys. Your mom tells you that you can only get one toy, so you give a look at all the figures dangling there on the hooks. The movie features a shit ton of armor - there's your traditional red and gold Iron Man, stealth Iron Man, green Iron Man, Iron Patriot, battle-damaged Iron Man, a Trevor-Mandarin figure thrown in for good measure.

And then there's Killian.

Who in the fuck would buy a generic looking dude over a shiny new Iron Man variant? Why would that have any significant bearing on toy sales in any way?

The kids are going to buy IRON MAN toys and, if they did want a villain toy, they'd go for the cool looking dude in a robe who has ten rings - not the yuppie looking white guy/girl with a dragon tattoo. The sales for that character would have been lackluster whether it was a girl or not.
>>
>>82835173
You shouldn't try to fix something that isn't broken.
>>
>>82823129
For the people whose only exposure to Iron Man was the 90's cartoon, the Mandarin was Tony's primary antagonist.

Also, I don't know why people hate 3 so much. It wasn't great, but it was alright, and WAY better then the second film.
>>
>>82823734
It scratched my Shane Black itch so I'm fine with it.
>>
>>82823129
He's as A-list as it goes for Iron Man villains.
And I've seen retards say that they wasted Whiplash, so, you know.
>>
>>82822843
"You said you wanted the Mandarin? You're looking right at him! It was always me, Tony, right from the start. I AM THE MANDARIN!"

I thought he was badass to be truthful familia. Glad they didn't go with a female.
>>
>>82823940
>You've made a logical error, which is that how many Marvel villains are not white males to begin with?
>implying race swapping doesn't regularly take place in the movies
They could easily have villains who aren't white males, they just don't want to because the SJW faggots will cry racism.
>>
So is Perlmutter's fault that Edgar Wright left or is it still Feige's fault?
>>
>>82835512
Its a shame he jobbed to Super Pepper. He really could've been a good Mandarin. When he revealed his tats and started doing martial arts I was like this guy is legit.
>>
>>82825967
Not even tumblr wants a BW movie, they got (rightlfully) mad that she's gonna fuck up ghost in the shell, and some other shit.
>>
>>82823129
>>82823197

It was because "Oh NOES, we cant make him a chinese wizard warlock WITHOUT make him Fu-man-chu-like, that is just so unpossible for realsies gais and we are afraid we are offending our chinese sponsors"

Wait, We got it, lets make him a white guy and add a "LOL Mandarin is just a name twist" because we got offended on behalf of our chinese sponsors!
>>
All these complaints about the mandarin, and I continue to seem to be the only one who wants an apology for what was done to Extremis
>>
>>82835593
>They could easily have villains who aren't white males, they just don't want to because the SJW faggots will cry racism.

You're eating your own tail.

oh and btw, Chiwetel Ejiofer is playing Mordo in Doctor Strange.
>>
>>82837328
>and I continue to seem to be the only one who wants an apology for what was done to Extremis
I'm still mad.
>>
>>82837542
Hello Friend.
Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.