[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best comic ever written?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
Is this the best comic ever written?
>>
>>82818605
No. Not even Moore's best work.
>>
>>82818605
Its slightly above your average capecomic.
But comics in general? Not even close.
>>
There is no best comic.
>>
No, but I don't think anyone can deny that its genuinely brilliant.
>>
>>82818674
t. Indiean
>>
I would personally disagree with that statement, but can see why you may not.
>>
>>82818605
The whole point of it is to be a part of Moore's crusade against capeshit and the conventions surrounding it. Villains exposing their plan at the wrong moment, being comically evil, and heroes being the infallible paragon of good were all things from capeshit that Moore despised mocked in Watchmen. Once you take it out of the cultural setting it was made in, it loses its punch as satire and just becomes an alright comic with its own sort of idiotic problems once you look at it from the new angle.

The title of best comic written should go to something with a timeless quality to it. Like What's so Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way? by Joe Kelly
>>
marville is
>>
File: Preview-Miracleman-1.jpg (55 KB, 630x380) Image search: [Google]
Preview-Miracleman-1.jpg
55 KB, 630x380
>>82818605
No
>>
(Trigger warning: Rambly)

>>82819403
To me this seems like a unproductive and too redustionistic way to look at it. I mean, if you read kafka as an aesop fable, well, you won't get much. same with the point of view you endorse here

The problem lies in reading watchmen as related in any way to capes. it's related, of course, but thats only a small point on all that moore and gibbons put into play here.If one were to use a fixed point of view, the most useful would be the simple "fiction"

Now, what kind of fiction? we can begin with something obvious. Plot. It's plot driven. That, of course, doesn't tell us much about the book.
Most fiction has plot. In this case, the plot is interesting enough for a first read, so i'd say it acomplishes what a plot ougth to do.I too often see people complaining about "plot". kind of a narrow way of looking at things if you ask me. would you expect a mystery plot to hold it's mistery on a tenth read? of course not. So, what does plot acomplish here? Simple. It allowed moore and gibbons to unleash a barrage interesting concepts, complex characters, formal prowess and emotional storytelling.

Interesting (If not necessarely revolutionary) concepts such as: the problems inherent in power hierarchies necessary for things such as police or govnerment, the disillusionement with the narrative of great men, general cold war topics, end of the world, the moral conflicts presented by the many characters and their respective points of view clashing

formal prowess shown in the prescice use of visual motif and irony, the last one in many ways. the general use of comics medium and conventions to great effect (The classical example would be dr manhattan in mars)

i'll admit the characters may not be incredibly complex, but each one was completely different from another, while striking a good balance between ideological example and actual human simulacrum.(I wouldn't be too comfortable calling a fiction something else, thus simulacrum)
>>
>>82819825
i ran out of space, but hopefully you can see where i was going
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.