[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bendis' Scarlet Witch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 22
File: bendis scarlet witch.jpg (218 KB, 1078x780) Image search: [Google]
bendis scarlet witch.jpg
218 KB, 1078x780
What are your thoughts on the matter? Does he really hate her?
>>
>he answered my question
Sweet, I thought for sure he'd ignore it.
>>
>>82812490
Kudos, it's not easy to get a non-gif response from Bendis.
>>
A professional writer can't capitalize his sentences properly or spell the word "wringer."
>>
>>82812490
He answered a couple of my questions too. Kinda proud considering I'm one of the few actual fans of his in this board.
>>
>>82812458
Does he really hate the Scarlet Witch?
>>
>>82812490
Well I take that back now that I read it. He didn't really answer shit.
>I don't know one person that writes a character they hate
I gave you an example of one, you fat fuck.

To answer the question of the thread, I don't think Bendis hates Wanda, I think he wanted to make her 'bigger' than the sum of whatever Avenger she was fucking that arc so that something like what Byrne did couldn't happen again.
Bendis has always killed his darlings, Jessica Jones, Peter Parker, Jessica Drew, all went through some real bullshit under his pen and they were his favorite characters.

I do think SOMEONE in editorial hated Wanda though, there's no other way to explain how she disappeared for 7 years.
>>
>>82812458
>putting myself aside, I have never met a creator that worked on a character they hated.. or was trying to quote unquote destroy the character.
>putting myself aside

Is that a hidden yes?
>>
>>82812725
The problem is that I never felt like his writing about Wanda was ever actually about her--she was more of a means to an end (his new Avengers lineup, the mutant status quo) because he did all the tearing down but he never did any building back up, never really did any exploration of what she felt about this shit or her motivations for doing it (other than "oh shit my kids are gone/my daddy is evil"). She didn't gain anything from his wringer, she only lost.
>>
>he never denied it
It's true
>>
>>82812458
>Does he really hate her?
No. He's just a shit writer.
>>
I would say he doesn't hate characters or if he does he hides it but he does have huge fucking biases and tries to get some character out of the way.

Take Age of Ultron, a Avengers story about Wolverine at the expense of Hank Pym. He tries to focus on A-list characters at the expense of c-list because I feel he thinks c-list characters can never mater like the a-list or his pet characters. If he has to use a c-list than he tries to make them work how he wants them too. Like Hawkeye killing, Blackheart jobbing to Miles. If you don't matter to him than he will ruin you.
>>
>>82812794
That's BS. Plenty of writers destroy characters out of spite, or sabotage the character so they can't be used again.
>>
>>82812836
This. House of M only has Wanda in the beginning and end; it's 90% Wolverine. She's a plot device.

There is almost no exploration of Wanda's psyche other than "muh babies" and "muh daddy".

He removes Chaos Magic, the most logical cause of Wanda's problems, just so he can pin the blame firmly on her.
>>
Bendis receives a well written, thought out question, and he replies with a grade school quality answer. Seriously, he writes like he's still he's a teen.

What a fucking hack.
>>
Who cares who Bendis hates, it doesn't change the fact that his writing is garbage these days. He can't even do Spider-Man right anymore.
>>
Based Russos have undone his evil machinations. Praise be.

7 Years in the wilderness, Fox rights issues...yet somehow, somehow, Wanda is back.

Truly the work of Chaos Magic.

You just look at how the comics division shit the bed on Wanda, then the MCU schools them on how to do Wanda right.

Bendis nearly destroyed her...she's back, you failed, Bendis.
>>
>>82812458
Bendis blocked me for asking Slott a question on twitter
he's a nutso
>>
>>82817306
But why though? I just don't get the mentality of character assassination out of spite. I understand putting them on a bus so that you don't have to deal with their character, that's fair. But straight up ruining characters?
>>
Even if you accept this argument there as being entirely in good faith, the conclusion is still that his "unique perspective" was to utterly fuck the character. Whether that's through incompetence or malice is irrelevant IMO.
>>
>>82817775
This.
The fact that she went from mildly evil in AoU to a good person in CW looks like it was made to spite on him.
>>
>>82812458
This is even worse then.
He unironically thinks Scarlet Witch would do what she did in his stories.
>>
>>82812458
I mean, he's not wrong. God knows Remender's entire shtick is to make whichever character he's writing at the time suffering incarnate. Same with whoever's writing Spidey or DD at any given time. Or the X-Men. Or IM. Or Sniktbub.

Frankly everyone
>>
>>82812458
way to dodge the question Bowel Movement Bendis.
>>
>>82817775
Weren't the Maximoffs introduced because Wanda is Whedon's waifu so he pushed really hard for them?
>>
>>82819468
He wanted to have both Vision and Wanda.
McFeely and Marcus are the ones who waifu her.
They said that Bucky should be punished for what he did, but they said punishing Wanda would be cruel and that she didn't do anything wrong.
>>
>>82812458
I've said it before, and looks like I was proven right.
Bendis GENUINELY BELIEVES that Disassembled and House of M are good stories for Wanda Maximoff. He genuinely thinks he's doing more interesting things with the character that other writers before him.
It' just that the way he wrote her unintentionally made the character completely toxic for years. Bendis doesn't have any malice towards the characters he writes, just indifference and ignorance towards how it affects future use of the character.
>>
>>82819519
Hi Bendis.
>>
>>82819529
How did you take that as a defense of Bendis?
I'm still saying he wrote a terrible story and ruined the character, all I'm saying is that he doesn't see it that way.
>>
>>82819519
To be fair, Marvel editorial cocked up badly by not giving her a book where she tried to redeem her fuck ups early on. House of M did work in the X-Men's favour since they managed to step up their game story wise.
>>
>>82812836
>>82817565
this is pretty much what bendis does with any character that's not his pet. I don't think he hates Wanda. I mean say what you want about Byrne's bitter manchild rampage but at least he came to the table with an interest in the characters.

No Bendis wanted to shake things up and change the status quo which is a laughable goal in big two comics. The status quo always goes back to where it came from. So he goes in, as per usual, clumsily wrecks the house of cards and is surprised when people are actually interested in characters he left as a pile of emotional wreckage and tangled storylines.

What do you mean you cared about those characters?

What do you mean you liked the old status quo of a burgeoning mutant population turning into it's own culture?
>>
>>82819100
because spite
imagine if someone like pat mills were hired to write cap or supes
>>
>>82819100
Usually the character represents something they dislike.

For example, with Byrne, he just hated the idea of a human and android being happy together. It was like what you'd get if you put your average /tg/ HFY shitter on a comic about elves, or if you had a huge racist write X-Men. They'd sabotage as much as they could out of pure REEEEEEEE.
>>
>>82812458
The Wanda fandom is even worse than the weird tumblr Damian one.
>>
>>82812458
I'm not hearing a "no".
>>
>>82820256
Why?
>>
>>82820416
Because she's idolized as a waifu or feminist icon, but in either case the fan don't accept any possible flaws in a character. They praise shit writers as long as they celebrate Wanda as a perfect human being and diss good writers for any notion that the character isn't perfect, even if her mistakes help her grow. And, of course, if you don't like Wanda, you're either sexist or racist, or both.
>>
>>82820256
Bendis is a hack tho.
>>
>>82819553
>House of M did work in the X-Men's favour since they managed to step up their game story wise.

The fuck are you smoking? X-men went to shit for years due to M-Day and we're already back rehashing it. Couple of books that used M-Day well do not make up for the shitty direction the X-Men have been walking along for a decade now.
>>
>>82821786
>X-Factor
>New X-Men
>Messiah Complex
>Supernovas
House of M got them from the funk they had been in since the 90s, which only Morrison seemed to completely avoid. Fuck, they had Uncanny and Adjectiveless written by fucking Austen at the time man
>>
Bendis only hates the X-Men. His recent X-Men run just destroyed the franchise. It's far worse off than what fallout he caused after what he did with Wanda.
>>
>>82821964
New X-Men predates House of M and it quickly turned to shit right after when Kyle and Yost turned it into a kid meat grinder.
>>
>>82822068
Pre-HoM New X-Men was shit. It picked up after HoM when they scaled the team back and actually started doing shit
>>
>>82821964
>Fuck, they had Uncanny and Adjectiveless written by fucking Austen at the time man

And after he left, the books started get better again. Only for HoM to fuck everything up. HoM got Cable & Deadpool cancelled. It forced a terrible editorial direction that all but basically X-Factor spent an entire year ignoring to the best of their abilities. The flagships have been almost entirely unreadable since then, at any given time you have had maybe two readable satellite books that were okay.
>>
>>82822081
>Pre-HoM New X-Men was shit.
No it wasn't.
>It picked up after HoM when they scaled the team back and actually started doing shit
By "doing shit" you mean "systematically torturing and murdering all the kids" because Marvel decided it'd be fun to follow DC's lead.
>>
>>82819237
Holy fuck, this delusion.
>>
>Comic book writers never work with characters they dislike

This is blatantly bullshit.

If you're working within a larger world that you didn't yourself create then it is pretty much inevitable that you're gonna have to write about aspects of that world you don't personally like, this is especially true if you're working on a team book.
>>
>>82812458
What happened to Wanda didn't feel like putting her through the ringer, it felt like character assassination. She didn't grow as a character as a result, it didn't really lead to any good stories, she was used poorly as a plot device with the subtlety of a sledgehammer and it caused such a mess it took nearly a decade, an entire mini event built around the concept of "we need to redeem Wanda" plus a several months long filler event that derailed the entire MCU to get people to not shit on her on-sight.
>>
>>82812648
Bendis also doesn't know what contractions are.
>>
>>82819100
Some writers aren't driven by arcs or development.

Some writers just want to watch things they don't like burn.
>>
>>82812458
Didn't Bendis once say that he didn't like Jack of Hearts, and then lo and behold first thing he did when he was given the reins to Avengers was blow him up and kill Ant-Man off too while he was at it?
>>
>>82822812
He hates tigra, hank pym, wasp, wonder man, she hulk, iron machine, scarlet witch, vision, Scott lang, warpath, magma, jubilee, multiple man, colossus and storm
>>
>>82823003
>she hulk, iron machine
I assume you mean War Machine. Just because they're dying in Civil War II doesn't mean he hates them.
He's using Rhodey extensively in Invincible Iron Man and there's no sign of disrespect or dislike there, he's treated with as much dignity as someone like Bendis is capable of.
>>
>>82823147
> he's treated with as much dignity as someone like Bendis is capable of.

None, then.
>>
>>82820471
As a Wandafag I can safely say I don't care if she's portrayed as imperfect, I just want her to be usable.

The one-two punch of Avengers Disassembled and House of M made her completely unusable in the comics for years. That's the problem. A story about Wanda turning evil? Fine, at least it's a story.

But Bendis didn't write that story. The thing Wandafags don't like about Disassembled/HoM is that she is barely in the stories at all. Most issues of HoM are about Wolverine. We've never had that story from her point of view. Which is why fans of the character think of her as a plot device in those stories, because Bendis never tried to get inside her head.

Also I'm pretty sure she's not considered a feminist icon... maybe things are changing due to the MCU, but because Wanda is a Silver Age character with passive powers and little physical strength, my experience is guy superhero fans like her better than girl superhero fans. She's definitely a pre-feminist character, anyway.
>>
While Bendis' methods of storytelling are questionable, I think he's right about fans assuming he hates the characters when he writes drama about them and comicbook fans are a bunch of babbys who misinterpret that.
He was asked the same around the time he was making Daredevil's life a living hell, but at the time he was competently writing his story, unlike Wanda's case.
>>
>>82823632
That said, I think the editor (Tom Brevoort) has to be blamed more than Bendis. He's a writer, he pitches stuff that he thinks will be cool. It's the editor's job to protect the characters for the long term.

So when Bendis or someone got the idea of having Scarlet Witch wipe out all but the most popular mutants, someone should have said: "But if she does that, she can never be used again except as a villain." They could have found a way to do that ending without making it an act of malice on her part.

They didn't, because this was a period when Marvel simply wasn't thinking about the long-term implications for its characters. The following year they did Civil War, where they didn't seem to care about how unsympathetic and horrible the characters were made to act. (The big difference with the movie is that all the characters are kept within the bounds of audience sympathy, because these characters are much more valuable to the MCU than they were to the comics in 2006.)

But no, the basic idea of Wanda going mad is not out of bounds. Hell Geoff Johns was dropping some "something's wrong with Wanda" hints in his run. She, Vision, Hawkeye and other characters who had been in the book too long were probably due to be retired for a while anyway. I don't think Bendis hates her, I just don't think he cared if she was usable again.
>>
>>82823765
Really, I think they should have just explained it all as being Immortus fucking with Wanda again, and using her as a tool to get rid of the mutants.
Makes more sense than the explanation Heinberg gave.
>>
>>82823632
You're lucky you don visit tumblr then, she's become a feminist icon since her new solo, I think. That's her only book they'll accept too, all her other appearances have been criticized.
>>
>>82823632
My experience is gay guys tend to like her (Allan Heinberg made his self-insert a gay kid who idolizes Wanda and gets to be her sort-of-son). The Scarlet Witch/Vision romance was kind of embraced as a metaphor for "unconventional" relationships, relationships where people don't know how they can have sex, etc.
>>
>>82819237
There is no way on earth Bendis loses sleep at Wanda, Vision, Ant-Man being popular. He just doesn't care that much.

Wanda semi-accidentally stumbled into an important role in the MCU because Joss Whedon wanted her and they've been late in introducing other superpowered women. I imagine even if she starts to go OP in future movies the filmmakers will want to protect her more than she was protected in the comics. But that's because she was not a very important character in the comics world of 2004-5.
>>
>>82823804
"The Life Force" could not possibly have been Heinberg's first choice. It's the most hilariously lame name for an all-powerful entity ever.
>>
>>82825184
Rumor is that originally it was going to be the Phoenix Force.
>>
I'm sure it's also just a coincidence how any character a different writer hooks up with Kitty Pryde has their lives/characters destroyed once Bendis starts writing them.
>>
>>82812458
>>
>>82812458
Lol, he fucking typed "quote unquote" insted of just using the fucking quotes like I just did.
That's a pro writer right there.
>>
>>82825247
I would have loved to read that just for the implication that Wanda with her knowledge of magic did a better job than Jean Gray at bending it to her will.
>>
File: bendis.gif (1 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
bendis.gif
1 MB, 355x200
>>82827183
classic benis
>>
>>82827183
God, he's so shit.
>>
>>82819555
>No Bendis wanted to shake things up and change the status quo
So he's an force for chaos using wanda agenst her will?
>>
>>82812458
>>82812707
Honestly, no.
I don't believe he actively hated her, but I don't think he really wanted to write about her. I mean if he did, he kind of did a piss poor job of it.
The whole point of Disassembled seemed to be house cleaning to make room for his own hand-selected New Avengers several months later. It used a facet of the Scarlet Witch's continuity which hadn't been focused on in such a way, but it only used it to push her out of the limelight.
As for House of M, there was certainly an interesting story there, but it barely focused on Scarlet Witch. It was more about Magneto's lust for power and Quicksilver's desire for acceptance, and they both ended up using Wanda as a tool for that.
Which is kind of how Bendis used Wanda. He didn't bother to show her overcoming her problems, he just kinda used her freaking out to further the plot. I dunno, maybe he had bigger plans for her, but seeing how he handles "bigger plans" for characters, I don't relish seeing what those plans were.
I'm just glad Wanda is an MCU related character now so Bendis can't just push her out of the plot unceremoniously.
>>
>>82831238
I wonder how Bendis will treat Wanda in Civil War II
>>
>>82831381
Here's hoping she doesn't even show up. It's bad enough he's writing members from Ultimates and A-Force.
>>
>>82831381
She'll get tired of everything, she'll think that a good way to stop a war is to get rid of both sides, start killing everyone, and it'll end with everyone teaming up to beat her.
>>
>>82832257
Nope. Nope. Go to jail. Go to jail now!
>>
>>82825184
Chthon would make the most sense.

So of course Marvel did'nt use him.
>>
>>82819468
>>82819493
They both waifu her.

Whedon waifus her by showing her as a dangerous player that can solo a whole superteam, and has a bit of chaos to her, but showing her turn away from that side when faced with the world's annihilation, and is quickly forgiven and accepted by the team

The Russos and Markus and McFeely waifu her by making her a woobie good witch who dindu nuffin wrong, and was just trying to save Cap from the bomb, but everyone's mean to her :,( but having her get broken out in the end
>>
>>82823632
Wanda's arc is very feminist, though.

> Girl who lacks self-belief.
> Struggles to master her powers.
> Battles against an Elder God who wants to possess her.
> Masters the most powerful magic in the universe.
>>
>>82833228
At least they'll treat her well.
>>
>if you're writing a character, you're spending a great deal of your brain power getting inside their head.
I think you might just be bad at it Bendis.
>>
>>82833228
>Wanda who regreted her actions but still wanted to hurt people is less blameworthy than a guy who was literally tortured/mindcontrolled into doing all of the actual bad shit he did, who is actually described in the story as a good man by nature, and the worst thing he ever did otherwise was be a little jealous of his brother for getting the girl before quickly getting over it
I don't get it.
>>
>>82819555
wait what did byrne do?
>>
File: Fucking Bendis.jpg (775 KB, 2048x1581) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Bendis.jpg
775 KB, 2048x1581
>>82833454
They're both interested in her trying to be a hero, and redeem herself. Bendis was interested in how curaaaazy she was.

Just look at this page. Study the level of analysis Strange gives. It comes down to "Well this isn't a surprise. That Wanda's just kooky (please ignore that she's literally possessed by an evil primordial god in one of these images). All those things that you like about her that made her your friend? Just forget all that and remember that she's loOoOooOpy!"
>>
>>82833734
They don't have an instinctual need to protect Bucky's smile as much.
>>
>>82833784
Is Strange forgetting the fact that VISION was the one who insisted on creating children thorugh magic instead of adopting like Wanda wanted? And that Dr Stange himself said it was OK?
Also, Wanda never had reality altering powers, Bendis made them up for this story and then had the gall to claim chaos magic didn't exist.
>>
>>82812458
But that would presuppose he had something to say about her or that the endpoint of his aims were to bring her back stronger and more interesting.

Neither happened and it was solely the work of others that did anything to attempt to undo the character damage.
>>
File: 1364103557905.jpg (805 KB, 1280x1974) Image search: [Google]
1364103557905.jpg
805 KB, 1280x1974
>>82833951
>had the gall to claim chaos magic didn't exist.
And they retconned that shit out of existence as quickly as they could.
Thank you based Slott.
>>
>>82834098
Boom! He is a dick!
Long Live Wanda Maximoff!
>>
File: Fucking Bendis 2.jpg (480 KB, 1024x1589) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Bendis 2.jpg
480 KB, 1024x1589
>>82833951
>Is Strange forgetting the fact that VISION was the one who insisted on creating children thorugh magic instead of adopting like Wanda wanted?
The worst part is? No. Bendis is playing on an earlier story where Wanda's children were revealed to be pieces of demon, and Strange finds out pages before this to his dismay. They explain it as she "willed them into existence" because apparently she's just a reality manipulator? This is also where Strange said "there's no such thing as Chaos Magic" even though I'm pretty sure he's gone up against the master of chaos magic, and even mentioned it before. And then he ends up going into the spiel you see above where he criticizes Wanda for things he participated in.
>>
>>82834246
Then it's settled. I decree we shall file all Bendis related Scarlet Witch writings as apocryphal and never mention them again.
Under penalty of Torture!
>>
>>82834347
Seconding this motion.
>>
>>82833734
It's pretty simple, Bucky did his bad things in their movie, while Wanda did her bad things in someone else's movie.

The Russos/Markus & McFeely inherited Wanda from Joss Whedon, and did surprisingly well by her, but they clearly do not care about the events of AoU. Even her powers are different and her brother is never mentioned.
>>
>>82833739
John Byrne took over WEST COAST AVENGERS after Steve Englehart left, and Englehart had spent years turning Vision and Scarlet Witch into a happy domestic couple, complete with magically-conceived twin boys.

Byrne didn't like this so he did a story where Vision was disassembled and reassembled with a different personality, effectively ending the marriage, and then he revealed that the twins were pieces of the devil or something and wiped *them* from existence.

A lot of this story is recapped in the current issue of the Vision comic.

Bendis used this story as the basis for Avengers Disassembled, and it doesn't really fit with the continuity but that doesn't bother me much. Again, the problem is making the character toxic and unfixable, not making her crazy.
>>
>>82834196
Poor Tigra, Wonderman, and Beast though.

Why does he need to shit on perfectly good characters so his favorites can look good? I don't even know who benefitted from any of those.
>>
>>82834946
True, for all the shit we give Bendis, Byrne actively hates the Vision and wrote whole story arcs about how his humanity wasn't real and he was just a toaster.
>>
>>82834246
fucking Falcon ever asking Spiderman why he's around. This piece of shit.
>>
>>82835147

Which is why King turning Toaster into a term of endearment is so fucking good

>>82835091

Funny enough another 2/3 of West Coast Avengers!
>>
>>82835201
Word.
>>
>>82835091
that fucking Wonder Man story takes up two Annuals and reads like an incomplete first draft.
>>
>>82835242

I'm so mad about that because the idea of Wonder Man and other classic Avengers getting mad at BendisAvengers is a great idea for a story but you can't have Bendis write it...
>>
File: 1396644998583.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1396644998583.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
So Bendis is trying to pretend he gives a shit about Wanda now that she's popular like he didn't throw a shitfit over Heinberg trying to bring her out of comic limbo?
>>
>>82835414
Did he throw a shitfit? I thought that was U.R. (Unconfirmed Rumor)

All I really know about Children's Crusade is that it was planned as the third arc of Young Avengers, with Billy searching for Wanda and bringing Scott Lang back through time-travel shenanigans. Then the "no more mutants" thing hit and Wanda could not come back until they were ready to reverse it. Which is why Children's Crusade is an unholy combination of a Young Avengers story with irrelevant X-stuff.

By the way, the chick who plays Wanda has said several times she read HoM and liked it, so it's probably never going away completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z7bZOJV3v8
>>
File: benis.gif (1 MB, 419x237) Image search: [Google]
benis.gif
1 MB, 419x237
>>82835414
Classic Benis.
>>
File: Letha and Lascivious.jpg (307 KB, 550x834) Image search: [Google]
Letha and Lascivious.jpg
307 KB, 550x834
>>82835510
>the chick who plays Wanda has said several times she read HoM and liked it

No Shit.
>>
>>82812681
Fuck off Benis :DDD
>>
>>82835169
>Be Falcon
>Been an Avenger since forever
>Just learned terrifying revelation about teammate the Scarlet Witch
>Soul breaking inside
>Arachnid-Boy makes light of it by pointing out "Hey she married a robot too"
>That Robot was your beloved teammate the Vision, who died a few hours ago
>Resist urge to tear fucking Arachnid-Boy's head off
>What is he even DOING here?
>>
>>82835584
Well that's unfortunate, but at least she doesn't play the character as if written by Bendis since she seems to have a level of respect for Wanda
>>
File: Avengers 181.jpg (715 KB, 1761x1809) Image search: [Google]
Avengers 181.jpg
715 KB, 1761x1809
>>82835790
But Falcon has barely been an Avenger. The only time he served on the team he was literally just there as an Affirmative Action hire.

I'd say he doesn't have a lot of cause to sass Spidey about not being a real Avenger.
>>
>>82835091
At least Tigra got to be in Academy. And Wonderman was rehabilitated after Bendis shit by Remender. At least until he wrote him out and left forever.
That sucked.
Could be worse though. Could be Beast. Bendis fucked him over and now he's stuck with bloody Inhumans. Being Best is suffering.
>>
>>82835893
Still enough to sass him about making light of one friend going crazy and another one being dead.
>>
>>82835893
> Hawkeye criticizing someone else for lacking powers
>>
>>82835893
>Equal opportunity for minorities
>Team has two mutants and a one-of-a-kind android

Ok, even allowing that I'm straw grasping by assuming that the US government in the MU has a policy about android, are you gonna tell me that Beast and Scarlet Witch don't count as a minority (in universe)?
>>
File: Avengers 181-10.jpg (388 KB, 1753x865) Image search: [Google]
Avengers 181-10.jpg
388 KB, 1753x865
>>82836097
Mutants are over-represented on superhero teams so they don't get Affirmative Action. They're the Asians of the superhero world.
>>
>>82835790
one guy is Spiderman the other is the Falcon.

that's like a Apostle's stable boy asking Jesus why he's even on Earth.
>>
>>82836202
>my complaint was actually addressed in the comic

well, I'll be,,,
>>
>>82812458
Just to be contrarian, I'm pretty sure there are examples of creators working on characters they hate. Byrne wrote Vision if nothing else.
>>
File: Fantastic Four 304.jpg (1 MB, 961x1500) Image search: [Google]
Fantastic Four 304.jpg
1 MB, 961x1500
>>82837332
And Steve Englehart with Quicksilver.

I don't know if Bendis hates Scarlet Witch but Englehart hates, hates, HATES Quicksilver.

In a lot of these cases you have someone taking over a team book and clearing out the characters he inherited. I don't know if Bendis hates Wanda, Clint, Vision, but he inherited them and got rid of them the first thing he did. (I know he hates Jack of Hearts though.)
>>
>>82836224
Well yes, in the context of our world. Of course Spider-Man has more name recognition to us.
But we're talking about the world of Marvel comics, where one of the key points is "Spider-Man is a loner and an outcast". I mean isn't that the point of Spider-Man? He's hated and feared because of dick bags like J Jonah Jameson, but he still does what he has to because he's a hero.

>>82837332
I'm not sure if comparing Bendis' Scarlet Witch to Byrne's Vision is contrarian or analogical.
>>
>>82835510
>By the way, the chick who plays Wanda has said several times she read HoM and liked it, so it's probably never going away completely.
Well as long as we can finally get past it and have stories about Wanda that don't revolve around "Muh Mutant Genocide" it'll be fine.
Besides, at this point in comics history Cyclops is the one I feel worse about. He basically has become the new pariah of the Marvel Universe and we never even saw what he did to finally get on everyone's shit list. I mean if the end of AvsX (going all Dark Phoenix) was his Disassembled moment, then whatever he did with the Terrigen Mist was his HoM moment, and that happened off screen.
I suppose nobody in power at Marvel gives a crap about anything characters they still have the movie rights to did wrong.
>>
>>82839130
>I suppose nobody in power at Marvel gives a crap about anything characters they still have the movie rights to did wrong.
Hence why the X-Men haven't put a Fatwa on Black Bolt's head.
>>
>>82812458
Now someone ask him if he would put Luke Cage "through the ringer".
>>
>>82839381
C'mon man, the guy's got a family.
I hate Bendis too, but let's not take it out on Cage.

Let's take it out on Starlord. Bendis already destroyed any interesting elements about him.
>>
>>82833784
> I like how a pic of Chthon-Wanda in one of those panels is just page(s)after the infamous "there's no such thing as Chaos Magic").
>>
>>82833824
I want to protect Bucky and Wanda's smile in a joint smile-keeping operation.
>>
>>82843195
Hear hear!
>>
Bendis hates anything hetrosexual
>>
>>82843134
It really has to be one of the clumsiest retcons I've ever seen.
>>
>>82834161
> Slott literally shits on Bendis here and it's beautiful.
>>
>>82843134
>>82843326
Say what you want about his love of Dr. Octopus but at least Slott understands basic continuity.
>>82834161
>>
>>82843299
Except for Luke Cages BBC
>>
>>82843432
Slott has good ideas. He just can't execute them for shit.
>>
>>82843326
I don't really care if chaos magic exists or not, what I find funny about that moment is that Dr. Strange says first that there is no such thing as chaos magic, and then in the very next panel says that Scarlet Witch's mutant power is to control magic.

"Chaos magic" was Kurt Busiek's retcon of whether her powers were mutant or magic (it kept going back and forth), he declared that she had the mutant power to control chaos magic. Writers can accept or reject that, but Bendis literally did both at the same time.

It's not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but it's just part of how little that particular story makes sense.
>>
File: 1462986143118.png (881 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462986143118.png
881 KB, 1920x1080
>>82843195
Team Cap, a compilation of those who we failed to protect.
>>
>>82835510
From an actor's standpoint it's appealing, I suppose. That said I am pretty sure Russo's would take HoM, change it radically, and make it far more interesting character-wise.
>>
>>82819468
Whedon's waifu is Kitty Pryde to the point where Buffy was modelled after her (or his idealized version of her).
>>
>>82843797
Given Chaos Magic is only used by two other beings (both gods)
Chaos Magic is hard to control so the very implication that she can control it makes her look skilled and Bendis can't have that.
Of course, various writers had shown Wanda struggling with and overcoming the problem of controlling her powers. Bendis undid all that character development and destroyed almost all her friendships, putting her in a position where she is now isolated and has little authority.
>>
>>82845458
Meant to say given Chaos Magic is wielded by two gods, so it makes more sense for it to be implanted than learnt.
>>
>>82817775
If anyone cares the Robinson book is pretty good. I know that page from the first issue triggered a lot of Anons but if you buy into the thematic angle he's working it makes for a good story.
>>
File: 1463454477074.jpg (26 KB, 479x260) Image search: [Google]
1463454477074.jpg
26 KB, 479x260
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z7bZOJV3v8

Olsen talking about SW.
>>
>>82845759
>If anyone cares the Robinson book is pretty good.

Ehhh, it's kinda dull. The best thing about it is the shifting artist gimmick. The villain is entirely boring and the story itself is only okay.
>>
File: 1462382849834.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1462382849834.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>82845759
>>82846076
It's okay.
Granted I'm a serious Wanda fan and maybe even a bigger Robinson fan (Never Forget Earth 2), but the book has it's flaws. I like the tone and a lot of the details (Especially Ghost Agatha Harkness, and the idea of the Scarlet Witch being a legacy hero) but I feel the book lacks a cohesive narrative. I know we've got the Emerald Warlock set up as the big bad, but I feel he needs a deeper connection to Wanda. I kinda thought he had some petty revenge thing going on, and maybe he does, maybe the previous Scarlet Witch fucked his shit up and that's why he's such a dick right now. So far all we've got is that he's an immortal Irish Wizard who's always been a prick. Still gonna keep picking it up. I wanna see where it's going, and I do love Wanda and ghost Agatha shenanigans. Also the art in the last issue was gorgeous.
His Squadron Supreme is really good though.
>>
>>82817306
Examples?
>>
>>82846151
>His Squadron Supreme is really good though.

Just like everything Robinson has written for Marvel, it's only readable kind of decent, unless you're an uberfan of the specific characters. I like the characterizations but the stories are entirely lukewarm. I tells a lot that the only time in years that Robinson has done something remotely memorable was Airboy.
>>
>>82846076
I disagree that it's dull, but admit that I'm sold mostly on the artist showcase.
>>
>>82846246
Earth 2 was glorious.
DC must have their goddamn heads up their asses to blow it up and make it all about Batmen.
Robinson: I wanna make a new version of Earth 2 that's all about magic. Give more mystical origins to Alan Scott and Jay Garrick, introduce magic elements of Earth 0 but with a twist on it.
DC: Great we'll shove some Batman and Superman in there and blow it up!
Robinson: That's really not what I wanted...
DC: You're fired!
>>
>>82846405
>DC: You're fired!

It was Robinson who ragequit and shat the bed when he left mid-storyline, only sharing one dangling plot thread with Taylor: the identity of who RedBatman was.
>>
>>82843432
You mean outside of the times Slott completely botches continuity because it gets in the way of his garbage.
>>
>>82846508
Hey, he didn't tell them Blow up the Planet and make new Batman and new Superman the focal points. They fucked that up all on their own.
>>
>>82846611

World's End felt very much like something they came up with impromptu after Taylor's filler tenure was up and they figured might as well try to tie the book up with Convergence in attempt to boost sales, not something they were pushing from day one on Robinson. After all, there was plenty of talk initially about eventual Robinson/Johns crossover between E2 and the main Earth.
>>
File: 1407300636932.jpg (1 MB, 1516x2502) Image search: [Google]
1407300636932.jpg
1 MB, 1516x2502
>>82846700
I know this is a Bendis hate Thread and I don't wanna get off topic, but I really wish they had just decided to undo World's End like they did with Future's End. It's not like it would have been that hard.
For a brief moment at the end of Taylor's run it felt like the book might be salvageable. (see pic)
Now after they blew up the damn place, not even Abnett can return it to it's former glory. And he's Abnett. You put a Lanning in there and you got Annihilation-tier stuff, so you know the book is unsalvageable.
>>
>>82846151
I mostly like his characterization of Wanda, and Agatha Harkness is great. The rotating artist roster is an attraction for me not a detraction. I grew up with UK Transformers comics and that had a rotating set of artists whose work I grew to value (even the ones I initially hated).

But what is lacking is a sense of direction and the feeling that Emerald Warlock is a generic villain, when Wanda has some pretty great antagonists, notably Chthon.
>>
File: 1447929877655.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1447929877655.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>82846863
Still nice to know they care enough to give her an ongoing.
Lord knows you couldn't get that while Bendis was in charge of Avengers.
Plus I really enjoyed Robinson's Uncanny Avengers Annual. It was basically a combination of a prequel for his Scarlet Witch (establishing the Emerald Warlock as a character) and something of a wrap up for his delightful All New Invaders run (doing a story about a team WWII era Wizards, much like how his Invaders' run focused on older super hero team exploits, fighting a Nazi sorceress whose name was, I shit you not, Hilda von Hate, She-Witch of the SS). I highly recommend it.
>>
>>82843697
I hate this meme, his ideas are deviantart tier
>>
>>82847186
Sometimes deviantart-tier ideas work, but only if you have the artistic skill to pull them off.
>>
>>82847022
I like Robinson's book, and the fact Wanda is actually being used in interesting ways. In both the MCU and comics, Wanda is being handled better than many of us would ever dare imagine just a few years ago.

Her comeback is a miracle.
>>
File: ANCAPASP2015001-int2-3-40272.jpg (310 KB, 900x1366) Image search: [Google]
ANCAPASP2015001-int2-3-40272.jpg
310 KB, 900x1366
>>82835790
>>82835169
And Sam Wilson still doesn't like him to this very day
>>
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. "
>>
>>82847976
That's a good way of looking at the world, anon.
>>
File: 19200.png (465 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
19200.png
465 KB, 1920x1080
>>82833784
Thanks for the pic.
>>
File: 1394218745683.jpg (2 MB, 2280x2853) Image search: [Google]
1394218745683.jpg
2 MB, 2280x2853
>>82812458
>>
>>82846027
Nice. She's a cute. So, what happens if Lizzie Olsen asks The Bendis about how poorly he treated her character? Will he dismiss her as a dumb Tumblrina SJW?
>>
>>82851240
Will never happen.
Bendis will not be allowed to be less than 5 miles away from Elizabeth Olsen.
>>
File: 1439081596756.jpg (37 KB, 640x290) Image search: [Google]
1439081596756.jpg
37 KB, 640x290
>>82832257
I can actually see this happening.
>>
File: Catania-69a.jpg (280 KB, 1280x899) Image search: [Google]
Catania-69a.jpg
280 KB, 1280x899
>>82827183
He typed it the way he, and probably many of us would say it out loud and I think that's completely fine. His whole answer is just him speaking his mind. Fucking hell, man, Bendis can be shit, but this isn't one of those times.
>>
>>82851808
t. Bendis
>>
>>82851240
She liked House of M.
>>
>>82833951
> Vision wants to make kids.
> Wanda wants to adopt.

> Wanda is concerned about the dangers of using magic to produce kids.
> Doctor Strange tells her there's nothing to worry about it's all above board and totally fine.

It's all Wanda's fault even though if she had done things her way none of the clusterfuck would have happened.
>>
>>82812458
>putting characters through the ringer is pretty much the backbone of a writer's job.
Shit writers, maybe.
>>
>>82852764
Good writers do it too, but they also make it have a point. Plot, character, whatever-wise, even just for comedy.

Look at stuff like Spectacular Foes. The Shocker is shit on the entire run, which makes the final issue incredibly satisfying for it. The shitting on leading up to that was also amusing on it's own, but it built up to this great moment. Fucking Lord of the Rings is all about this too: people persevering through suffering.

But with Wanda, it was a shit show from beginning to end, and then Bendis walked away leaving here in the shit heap. There was no point, no satisfying conclusion. Nothing that her character assassination accomplished plot setting-wise couldn't have been accomplished without trashing a character for years. As other people have said, Bendis is trying to play it off as him totally just being a good writer who's writing a low moment for a character, but those require balance.

Bendis just tosses out all of her character and history and literally just makes stuff up to accomplish nothing but making a character radioactive for years. I'm not even a Wanda fag, but reading Disassembled was an exercise in trying to understand what the hell the point was.
>>
>>82848750
> Bendis: "Put that pic of crazy Wanda in."
> Staff: "Er...Brian, that's not Wanda, that's Chthon."
> Bendis: "Cough on? Coat thong? Who the fuck's that?! Who gives a fuck, just pretend that's her. Now, where's my Luke Cage BBC dildo?"
>>
>>82852194
If its the first story you read (as Olsen did because that was the first story Marvel gave her) it seems great, because you would not be aware of how it undermined her, but if you read SW in order you can see how it undermined her development.
Olsen seems to play Wanda as more normal in CW perhaps as a result of the Russos and also reading more material.

Its like if you watched the Star Wars prequels first you would probably not realize why people took a dislike to them.

The Russos and the writers have her on a growth arc, which in Infinity War is going to be awesome.
>>
>>82851808
If you don't know the difference between "speaking out loud" and typing, you're not a writer. He wasn't writing dialogue, he was typing an answer to a fucking written question.
He's supposed to be a pro-writer, not just some random fuck chatting on the internet. But I guess I'm at fault for asking somebody who writes for a living to actually write well instead of just being happy that he just types like you and me, man!
>>
>>82853581
A good writer would be embarassed about typos and shitty grammar.
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.