[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Original Rat Queens artist returning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11
Thought some of you might be interested in hearing this.
>>
Forgot the link
https://web.archive.org/web/20160515192723/http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/15/artist-pushed-out-for-roc-upchurch-to-return-to-rat-queens/
>>
The wife beater?
>>
>>82796520
how is this not cancelled yet?
>>
>>82796520
Writer denies it.
Says it's "utterly false".
>>
More updates: http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/135337-fowler-speaks-on-rat-queens-depature-upchurchs-return-wiebe-denies.html
>>
Tess Fowler did what she always does, bailed on a project and lied about the reason why. She's a consistently fraudulent individual.
>>
>>82797621
I can't imagine anyone is going to hire her after this.

She could be 100% correct in everything she is saying, but she's ridiculously unprofessional putting it out on twitter ahead of any official statement by the actual owner/creator of the book.
>>
>>82796520
>So long as media doesnt spin a vendetta we're good
And then BC only posts her side of the story. You can't make this shit up.
>>
>I was asked via Twitter pointed questions after folks saw Upchurch art being promoted by Kurtis on social media. I answered with what I knew via my experience. I'm fine. This happened weeks ago. It's a creator owned book and therefore I respect the rights of the creators. It's not my book. What happens with it is their right and their business. It would have been nice not to be left holding the bag. It would also have been nice not to be lied to. But hey, this is comics kids. You take it on the chin and you move on.

this fucking industry
>>
So what happened with the original artist? I picked up the first issue and I'm considering getting the hardcover.
>>
>>82797791
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/roc-upchurch-opens-up-about-ramifications-recovery-after-domestic-violence-arrest

>Last October, artist Roc Upchurch was arrested under the charge of "Battery-Family Violence, First Offense Misdemeanor" following a fight with his ex-wife on Halloween. In the wake of this personal incident, Upchurch spoke with Bleeding Cool, confirming the arrest and sharing that his relationship had faced turmoil for quite some time. In the weeks that followed, Upchurch left "Rat Queens" and pulled away from comics in general. While speculations were made about the incident, no one but those involved will ever know the true story.

>Recently, Upchurch reached out to CBR News, expressing interest in speaking publicly about where his life, career and legal issues now stand. Over the course of an hour-long conversation, we discussed details from the domestic violence charge, his subsequent therapy and his plans to steer his life in a more positive direction.
>>
>>82797791
He smacked around his wife. Setting aside the matter of his crimes, having a convicted wife beater on a book that claims to promote female empowerment looks pretty bad.
>>
>>82797885
>The status of the domestic violence is that it's being wiped off my record. I've been in this counseling program for the past six months. I don't want to downplay this -- the court looked at it as a minor thing, but I see it as a major thing. It was horrible. It was the worst thing. In actuality, it was a symptom of a much bigger thing going on with me. It was never jail time, other than my initial holding. It was a minor offense to the courts. It'll be expunged. But that downplays the ramifications on everything else.

He wasn't even charged with anything, let alone convicted.
>>
>>82797862
>>82797885
Oh...
>>
>>82797885

i think his kids too
>>
>>82797924
It sounds like he's saying he didn't but he just didn't go to jail for it.
>>
>>82797885
Oh, so he's being tapped for an upcoming Hank Pym ongoing?
>>
>>82797974
No one is questioning that an altercation took place, he fully admitted it and turned himself in.

What is pretty telling is that he wasn't charged with anything at all.

It's a divorce case, and from what's been said his ex-wife did her fair share of violence as well.

But you really can't trust either side to be 100% honest in these cases. Divorces are bitter as fuck.
>>
File: drago.jpg (5 KB, 302x167) Image search: [Google]
drago.jpg
5 KB, 302x167
>>82798041
Pathetic.
>>
>>82797942

No, the man didn't beat his kids.
>>
File: laughing tiny head man.jpg (52 KB, 418x480) Image search: [Google]
laughing tiny head man.jpg
52 KB, 418x480
>>82797974
*did it

>>82798041
>Oh, so he's being tapped for an upcoming Hank Pym ongoing?
>>
>>82798183
Yes he did.
>>
>>82798111
Go to bed Weibe.
>>
>>82798247

Got a source?
>>
File: upchurch.jpg (476 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
upchurch.jpg
476 KB, 960x1280
>>82798269
Not that guy, but he has hit them before.
>>
Having met Roc multiple times, I can tell you that there is way more to the story than what his ex-wife let out. He did NOT hit his kids, his ex-wife is actually keeping his kids away from him, refusing to let him see them and then saying on social media that he's not returning home to see them. She's batshit crazy.

Overall, I don't think it's a good idea for him to come to the book even though this has been proved false, he should come back to the comic industry, but not to Rat Queens.
>>
>>82798465
>He did NOT hit his kids
Except he has.
>>
>>82798269
>>82798449
Wow, that was a pretty intense case of getting served.
>>
>>82798449
Of course he did. Wifebeaters, if they have kids, never stop with just their girl.
>>
File: att_1462553235459102.jpg (64 KB, 443x788) Image search: [Google]
att_1462553235459102.jpg
64 KB, 443x788
Was expecting this to have more replys. As an artist, i would always want to come back to simething i created.

However no matter how little or insignificant this altercation with his wife was social media bkew it way out if proportion and now him on the book is a bad look. It should probably just be cancelled at this point.
>>
>>82799100
The twitter hysteria over it is astounding to say the least.
>>
>>82799100
It's probably gonna get canned at this point
>>
>>82799259
Looking through responses to fowlers tweets is sickening.

People are acting like she was the one that was "abused." She got lied to, big deal, people get lied to all the time. She isnt some strong sensitive snowflake.

Anyways people also saying upchurch isnt trying to get help or improving seem out of touch as well. I wonder if they know that most of the people who run the companies they buy their food, clothing, cars etc have assholes in their midst as well.
>>
I hope they hire someone new and make Fowler look like a crazy cunt.
>>
>>82799100
This entire drama overshadows the comic itself.
>>
>>82799100
He's co-creator right? Wouldn't he be still getting paid for it anyway?

It just seems like such a bad move marketing wise. If he wasn't getting paid for it, that makes sense though.
>>
>>82799793
then it's going to get twisted as being forced to hire someone else after the backlash
>>
>>82799890
He gets money from the issues he drew.
He doesn't get anything from the rest.

The better question is: Why do people not want him to make money from his work? Do they not consider that he has child support payments to make and without an income, his family suffers far more than he does?
>>
File: RatQueens_01_04_FINAL-Copy.jpg (134 KB, 506x768) Image search: [Google]
RatQueens_01_04_FINAL-Copy.jpg
134 KB, 506x768
Fowler sucks as a sequential artist. Pin-up artist? Gold. Art on an actual comic? She's terrible. Her characters are all stiff and at awkward angles. (Not uncommon these days, sadly . . . there are a few other books I would like to read more of, if the artist actually had decent experience.)

>>82799259
>twitter hysteria
I think we have our answer here, folks.

>>82797924
>He wasn't even charged with anything, let alone convicted.
This. Upchurch may not be a perfectly upstanding citizen, but he was canned from the book before anything was settled.

I know "it looks bad" for him to be on the book, nobody who has worked on art duties since he left has even done the characters remotely their due justice. Time for comics fans to get real: either let the book die because it's writing is subpar and it's art is weak, or let it live with the knowledge that one of it's most vital components grays your morality line.
>>
Yeah, this series is fucked...
>>
>>82796520
Who even cares? This book is such trash.
>>
File: CiiAw7pWUAE3HJK.jpg (32 KB, 599x136) Image search: [Google]
CiiAw7pWUAE3HJK.jpg
32 KB, 599x136
>Kurtis Weibe creator of Rat Queens has issued a statement regarding Tess Fowler's departure.
>>
File: 1437753483723.gif (600 KB, 245x159) Image search: [Google]
1437753483723.gif
600 KB, 245x159
>>82798041
>>
>>82797410
I have no idea. I bought the first five issues to give it a chance and it was awful. Art was the only good part but judging from this thread the original artist left after a while?
>>
File: LilMissCalamity.jpg (132 KB, 609x617) Image search: [Google]
LilMissCalamity.jpg
132 KB, 609x617
>>82802344
"time to find its voice" is code for "I know it sucks"
>>
>>82804505
You don't understand, though.

She's so brave and professional...airing all this shit out on twitter before ever even actually talking to the guy...
>>
I just want more rat queens with the original team. I loved the comic And the art and the comedy and the characters. Thought it was a good fantasy book. I mean sucks that he slapped his wife around but...fuck it bring him back and get this shit back on track
>>
Wow, I thought this was dead as hell.
>>
>>82797885
It was always insane to me that Rat Queens was touted as promoting female empowerment, even prior to this.
>>
There was at least rumor floating around that this book was gone from a few months ago around about when the hiatus was announced.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.