[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this show so anime-ish?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
Why is this show so anime-ish?
>>
File: end me.png (1 MB, 691x1082) Image search: [Google]
end me.png
1 MB, 691x1082
>>82793926
What about that picture in particular is anime to you? They're teleporting. How else do you want it to look?
>>
>>82793994
should've said "picture unrelated"
I just googled steven universe and found that pic
>>
>>82793926
That's a Star Wars reference I think
>>
>>82793994
I didn't get that issue. So he became an asshole because on the planet, because reasons?
>>
Everything anyone will ever do will be a reference to something whether intended or not.
>>
>>82793926
Glucose likes anime
>>
>>82793926
Because it's supposed to be anime-ish
>>
Created by a weeaboo with a staff of weeaboos.
>>
>>82793926
What parts do you consider to be anime like? I can't think of too many elements of the show that would otherwise be unique to anime, though undoubtedly it has strong influences from it largely because of what >>82794862
points out.
>>
>>82793926
I have a love/hate relationship with anime. I love how (in my opinion) the show borrows the good stuff from anime, without having any of the shit I hate about it.
>>
>>82795134
>the show borrows the good stuff from anime, without having any of the shit I hate about it.

It still has the shitty fucking filler episodes.
>>
it's literally a magical girl anime

where have you been
>>
Because the entire group of people making the show are all gigantic nerds and weebs.
>>
>>82795176
Filler is what happens when the anime catches up to the manga its adapting - Steven Universe isn't an adapation. So the "filler" episodes are just as deliberate and important as the action-packed ones. There has to be something to juxtapose with the high energy so the viewer isn't exhausted and/or doesn't acclimate to the fast pace, softening its impact.
>>
Referencing anime doesn't make it anime-ish.
>>
>>82795176
filler is good.

Yes, it's slightly somewhat annoying when you're hanging onto a plot or story arc and they're releasing episodes irregularly and one of them doesn't advance that story you're into at all; it feels like a huge void of wasted time, but that's not because it's a bad episode or that it doesn't add anything to the atmosphere of the show as a whole - it's purely you being desperate for more of the plot and impatient.
It's a symptom of the present and will utterly disappear for someone who is just watching the completed works of a series start to finish.
>>
>>82793926
sugar wanted to make tributes to the shows she grew up watching, which is mostly 90s anime
>>
>>82795821
How have people not learned their fucking lesson since the two newest episodes? STEVEN UNIVERSE IS NOT ABOUT THE PLOT. Its a SoL show about growing up.
>>
>>82795176
>filler
oh boy here we go
>>
>>82795868
I dunno man it has been kinda about the plot lately
>>
>>82795868
That 70's show was more of a Slice of Life about growing up than this.

It's about growing up (in the small font)
... With 3 alien sisters when you're the human-alien hybrid of your human father an alien mother fighting to defend the earth against a colourful but mysterious ancient empire of those same aliens. (In the main large font.)
>>
>>82795868
Every story is about the plot you imbecile.
EVERY story.

The plot IS the story.
>>
>>82795903
>I dunno man it has been kinda about the plot lately

Oh like how "dealing with the cluster" pretty much boiled down to one episode while the episodes leading up to it really didn't have anything to do with actually dealing with it? Or like how the Malachite thing was only two episodes in total?
>>
>>82795960
>He doesn't know the difference between a plot driven story and a character driven story

Read a book goddamn
>>
>>82796011
the characters and their interactions would simply -be- the plot in that case.

It seems pedantic to me to try and split hairs about that.
>>
It's funny knowing these cartoons from /co/ cause you expect plot and DEEPEST LORE and shit but the show generally turns out to be a goofy slice of life.
>>
>>82795960
Plot and story are not synonymous.
>>
>>82796063
That's one of the reasons why I really like SU, it's just a SoL that happens to involve space lesbian rock amazons
>>
File: 1460502542866.png (95 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1460502542866.png
95 KB, 292x257
>>82793926
Because its trash.
>>
>>82795196
It's basically Dune
>>
>>82795134
>decent writing
>expressive, well-written characters
>clean and dynamic animation
>no forced moe kyun fanservice
>fight scenes that aren't drawn out through dialogue and exposition evey 5 seconds
>characters aren't braindead
>>
>>82796184
This
>>
>>82797582
>If I don't like it, it's forced
Also SU has lousy animation.
>>
A generation of people who grew up watching and being influenced by the aesthetics and themes of anime are creating cartoons now.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.