[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why the fuck did this cause so much controversy? you can name
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 35
why the fuck did this cause so much controversy?
you can name thousands examples of 'black' evil guys in pop culture, even in american media
so why the fuck was this a no-no?

'black' is associated with 'darkness', it's not always niggers for fuck's sake
>>
>>82785499
Maybe if they gave him fat red lips I would see a reason.And bust out laughing
>>
people are still butthurt about this
>>
>>82786339
That's a bit different, it portrayed literal black people as retards, not fantasy creatures that happened to have dark skin.
Even Hergé didn't feel good about it, as it was one of his early books for which he barely did any research.
>>
>>82786390
this
its one of the few such outrages that auctualy has some sense to it

i would like to read where herge dident like it either?
>>
>>82785499
>why the fuck did this cause so much controversy?

Because Conan was too hard for soccer moms to read

which I suppose is better. They would have had a field day with howard.
>>
>>82785499
Because it foresaw the downfall of europa
>>
>>82785499
isn't this a zombie apocalypse story?
>>
>>82786479
I can't really find shit right now, but I remember when Zhang Chongren died there was a lot of fuss made about how he's the one who inspired Hergé to do proper research for his work (starting with the Blue Lotus) and how Hergé was a bit ashamed of his earlier work, more for reasons of inaccuracy than cultural insensitvity though.
>>
>>82785499
You do realize the author of this was an assistant projectionist for a theater in Belgium under Nazi rule, right? It's wouldn't exactly be surprising if some propaganda accidentally rubbed off on his work.
>>
>>82786571
>literally anyone who lived under nazi rule was a racist
That's... racist.
>>
>>82786522
Yeah
Except instead of being turned into a zombie
You become Black
Sheeeeeeeeiiiiit
>>
>>82786585
It's not like the zombies were speaking pidgin smurf, they just said "GNAP!" a lot iirc.
>>
>>82786585
last I checked the average nignog could say more than 'gnap!'
>>
>>82786570
>more for reasons of inaccuracy than cultural insensitvity though.
thats an admirable stance
>>
>>82786578
Racism isn't always a conscious thing. Propaganda seeps into thoughts, affecting you in ways you don't always realize, subtly coloring your actions. Commercials often work the same way. The kid worked as a projectionist for several years. How many Nazi propaganda films do you think he came into contact with? And then later, after the war, he makes a comic where the bad guy is a big-nosed wizard who wants to exploit the good peace-loving beings to get gold.
>>
>>82786578
well its not that far fetched when his entire job was mostly looking at propaganda
>>
>>82786570
Maybe this is enough of an explanation actually
>Hergé's early albums of The Adventures of Tintin were highly dependent on stereotypes for comedic effect. These included evil Russian Bolsheviks, lazy and dumb black Africans, and an America of gangsters, cowboys, and Indians.

>At the close of the newspaper run of Cigars of the Pharaoh, Hergé had mentioned that Tintin's next adventure (The Blue Lotus) would bring him to China. Father Gosset, the chaplain to the Chinese students at the University of Leuven, wrote to Hergé urging him to be sensitive about what he wrote about China. Hergé agreed, and in the spring of 1934 Gosset introduced him to Zhang Chongren. The two young artists quickly became close friends, and Zhang introduced Hergé to Chinese history, culture, and the techniques of Chinese art. As a result of this experience Hergé would strive, in The Blue Lotus and subsequent Tintin adventures, to be meticulously accurate in depicting the places Tintin visited.

>For example, while Cigars of the Pharaoh takes place in an idealised India of Maharajas and British officials, The Blue Lotus has the look and feel of China of the 1930s torn apart by the occupying Japanese forces and the Western influence in Shanghai, including corrupt businessmen and police.

>As a token of appreciation, Hergé added the character "Chang Chong-Chen" (Tchang in original French-language version) to The Blue Lotus,[1] a young Chinese orphan boy who meets and befriends Tintin. Hergé mocks his own naïveté deep inside the album when he has Tintin explain to the fictional Chang that his view of the 'white devils' is based on prejudice. He makes it go both ways when Tintin recites a few Western stereotypes of the Chinese. Chang laughs this off as crazy. Chang would later return in Tintin in Tibet.
>>
>>82786628
>As another result of his friendship with Zhang, Hergé became increasingly aware of the problems of colonialism, in particular the Empire of Japan's advances into China, and the corrupt, exploitive International Settlement of Shanghai. The Blue Lotus carries a bold anti-imperialist message, contrary to the prevailing view in the West, which was sympathetic to Japan and the colonial enterprise[citation needed]. As a result, it drew sharp criticism from various parties, including a protest by Japanese diplomats to the Belgian Foreign Ministry.
>>
>>82786618
But the Smurfs are commies, anon. Nazis hate commies.
>>
>>82786628
interesting
>>
>>82786339

That's because it's not just racist, it is outrageously racist.

Especially given what the fucking Belgians DID in the Congo.

>>82786492

Why?
>>
WE WUZ PAPAS SMURFS
>>
>>82785499

Funny thing, I only began making the Black Smurf - Africans connotation once it was deemed 'offensive'. Before that I had no link to draw between the two nor any incentive to do that.

Ironically, ever since culture of the offended had cranked up the pace I started to become amused by racist jokes.
>>
File: 1444284968362Leo.jpg (136 KB, 695x1041) Image search: [Google]
1444284968362Leo.jpg
136 KB, 695x1041
>>82786339

G*d bless Leopold II. :D
>>
Yea, same thing with the Jinx and Mr. Popo thing. Black people don't actually look like that, and the Japs had been making characters in art that look like that since before they even knew niggers were a thing, but the media can't bother to google it 2 seconds before they get their panties in a twist.
>>
>>82787033

'N GNAAAAP
>>
>>82786479
>its one of the few such outrages that auctualy has some sense to it

Except that the artist corrected the mistake and died before people even became angry.
>>
>>82786628
>These included evil Russian Bolsheviks, lazy and dumb black Africans, and an America of gangsters, cowboys, and Indians.

None of this is far from the truth, though. Except that the gangsters are black too, these days.
>>
File: 1462301269454.jpg (318 KB, 720x732) Image search: [Google]
1462301269454.jpg
318 KB, 720x732
>>82787186
>Except that the artist corrected the mistake and died before people even became angry.

Bleeding hearts seldom take the passage of time into account.
>>
>>82787186
that is a good point.
>>
>>82786390
white people weren't especially smart there.
>>
>>82787038
Yeah, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. But that's exactly what the permanently offended want. It's their hobby, and in some cases even their profession. Being offended about things is what they DO. All the better when there's more things to be offended about.
>>
>>82786516
*EVROPA
>>
>>82785499
Meanwhile, in Holland...
>>
>>82787186
Wellll... it's more complicated than that.
See
http://dardel.info/tintin/variantes.html
Some corrections were just erasing the black guy and replacing him with another minority.
Worth noting
>De même, ces deux Noirs ont été remplacés par un Chinois et par un Turc respectivement pour faire plaisir aux Américains (déjà...) qui sans doute n'auraient pas autorisé la diffusion de la traduction anglaise. En ces temps de ségrégation, il était en effet malvenu de faire cohabiter Blancs et Noirs, même dans une BD.

On a side note you gotta love the minutia in drawing cars and planes he had.
>>
>>82787217
>>82787258
Have you actually read those Tintin albums or are you just shitposting?
>>
>>82787366
>/co/ is a hivemind

I've never seen a smart post from anyone who thinks this.

And yeah, I've read them. Just part of Tintin in Russia, though. But really, anyone who has an issue with the genocidal regime that sends people to freeze to death in Siberia getting sent up in a comic has real issues.
>>
>>82787366
what sort of defense is that? did you read them? tintin himself is super dumb in that book. The only "good guy" is the christian missionary which is hardly more than a plot device.
>>
>>82786479
>outrage
>has sense
>ever
>>
>>82787038
This.
>>
>>82787420
Brah, if you think anything that happens in Tintin in America is close from the truth you're ignorant as fuck.

>>82787440
Tintin is way smarter than the Africans, he teaches them basic maths and the little niggers can't stop calling him smart.
>>
>>82787506
>butthurt American

And now it all makes sense. Brah, if you seriously think ANY Tintin comic comes close to the truth, you are functionally retarded.

One's got a Yeti in it, for fuck's sake. In another one, they go to the moon. What the fuck are you smoking that you think this comic intends to portray reality? Because I want some of that shit.
>>
>>82787526
I'm French, retard.
Hergé did huge amounts of research to show the countries as accurately as he could, asomething he didn't do at the time of America, as you can obviously see by him having 19th century injuns right outside of Chicago and tons of things he obviously picked up from fiction more than research.
Portraying the countries and people realistically is independant of the sci-fi and fantasy aspects. Which really weren't thought as that far from reality back then, people genuinely thought we would use that kind of rocket to go to the Moon... and we did get to the Moon like only 20 years later.

You ignoring all the research the man did is kind of insulting to his memory tbqh.
>>
>>82787578
>I'm French, retard.

So go wave a white flag. Complaining that Tintin isn't realistic is retarded.
>>
>>82787628
But it is realistic in many aspects (portraying the countries Tintin visits semi-accurately), and those aspects aren't realistic in the first albums.
I'm not complaining about shit.

We're only having this argument because *you* claimed that the early albums' depiction wasn't far for the truth.
Jesus you're useless.
>>
>>82787657
They're comic book stereotypes of real life shit. This isn't a hard thing to understand, froggy. Realistic and non-realistic isn't a binary thing. It's a sliding scale.
>>
>>82787758
Yeah, and the early and later work of Hergé are on completely different places on that scale.
>>
>>82787796
That's true.
>>
>>82787796
>>82787823
Now kiss and make up.
>>
>>82787578
>>82787628
>>82787657
>>82787758
>>82787796

Lighten up, /polco/! :D

https://youtu.be/eyJFRTJgPbU
>>
>>82786339
It's naive as hell but it's not mean spirited.
I don't blame him for making it. 85 years ago a different time.
>>
>>82787838
>who care ok it only count if you agree with me
fuck off kid
>>
>>82787506
>Tintin is way smarter than the Africans
gazelle gag.
rhino gag.
leopard gag.
he's ignorant and do stupid shit all the time.
>teaching at school is racist
o nevermind, you are just an idiot.
>>
>>82787950
>>teaching at school is racist
That's a cute strawman.
>>
>>82788011
No, it's a strawman to pretend that a white person teaching Africans math is a racist representation. This is something that regularly happens, now more than ever.
>>
>>82787222
I fucking hate guilty white assholes.

Y'all need to get over yourselves. IT WONT MAKE US LIKE YOU MORE.
>>
>>82788011
>That's a cute strawman.
your argument of racism, yes.
>>
>>82786390
>it portrayed literal black people as retards
Africans are literally retarded.
>>
>>82787332

Fortunately it should be a few more months before this starts again...

>>82788061

What will?

That's not rhetorical. I am asking.
>>
>>82788061
So, which flavour are you? Chocolate? Chipotle? Balut?
>>
File: Tintin_congo.jpg (68 KB, 520x360) Image search: [Google]
Tintin_congo.jpg
68 KB, 520x360
>>82788038
That's not what a strawman is.
Tintin is smarter than the black men he encounters, who are portrayed as basically retards, that was my only claim. The black characters remark on how smart he is.
Whether it's accurate that whites are more educated than Africans is irrelevant, your claim was that the whites were portrayed as just as stupid.
>>
>>82788077
That's really not what a strawman is. Jesus get an education.
And I didn't call anyone racist btw.
>>
>>82788129
>your claim was that the whites were portrayed as just as stupid.
they were though. Tintin isn't the only white guy. And he does ton of stupid shit. The cultural shock is presented both ways.
>>
>>82788146
I guess we just have different criteria because I didn't see any of the white adults being portrayed as having the mind of a five year old.
>>
File: 2013-07-19.jpg (507 KB, 1561x1171) Image search: [Google]
2013-07-19.jpg
507 KB, 1561x1171
>>
>>82788129
That wasn't my claim.

But look, my mother has this African friend. His wife runs a shop. People tried to run her out of business by spreading the rumour that she was a witch.

Africa isn't the West with a black coat of paint. People in Africa can be, and often are, very, very stupid. So saying that it's a problem that a comic from the 19-fucking-30's portrays them as stupid strikes me as oversensitive, especially when you cite the classroom example.

Fuck me, white Americans of the day would probably object that they aren't being portrayed stupid enough.
>>
File: 1462463413635.png (2 MB, 697x8275) Image search: [Google]
1462463413635.png
2 MB, 697x8275
>>82788129

Except Africans had no use for maths or western concept of time, hence their befuddlement with someone being adequately skilled in either.

These claims aren't 'problematic' by themselves - not until someone arrives to a conclusion that such evidence makes Africans non-human. It is the latter drive which is the crux of the problem with racism and colonialism.
>>
File: Emergency exit.jpg (31 KB, 519x703) Image search: [Google]
Emergency exit.jpg
31 KB, 519x703
>>82788180

*GNAP!*
>>
>>82785499

I live in Germany and I can't remember that this ever caused any controversy except maybe some arcane media studies circles.

Watched this in cartoon form as a kid and I never associated black smurfs with black people.
>>
>>82788380
They might not have learnt hem but everybody has use for math
>>
>>82788227
I understand anon, I've been there and yeah, lots of them certainly are supersticious and often uneducated people.
>That wasn't my claim.
Fair enough, your claim was that the whites weren't portrayed as particularly smart, not that they were just as stupid as the blacks. My bad.
>So saying that it's a problem that a comic from the 19-fucking-30's portrays them as stupid
That's not exactly what I said, I originally pointed out the difference between a comic portraying existing people as retards in a somewhat stereotypical way, and another comic portraying zombie smurfs that happened to be black.
It's understandable that the former would elicit more claims of racist portrayals, it seems at least a bit more justified there.

I never said it was a problem, I'm just explaining why it can be seen as racist.
>>
>>82787332
Zwarte Piet is a pretty cool guy
>>
>>82788450
>They might not have learnt hem but everybody has use for math

The environment of Subsaharan Africa generally favored small, mobile communities. Such setup doesn't encourage growth on a scale where abstract thinking would trump the here-and-now. Africans are capable of making up for this deficiency, but it would be nothing short of insane to get worked up over someone not depicting them as star gate builders subdued by white devil.
>>
>>82788380
> the crux of the problem with racism
I'd say that's basic tribalism.
>>
File: 1349466625659.png (72 KB, 1279x920) Image search: [Google]
1349466625659.png
72 KB, 1279x920
>>82787838
>:D
>2. You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.
>>
>>82786821
>Especially given what the fucking Belgians DID in the Congo.

Would be hilarious to have a comic about Tintin kindapping kids, chopping off one of their hands and telling the parents that he's going to chop off their other hand if they don't deliver him a few tons of ivory within the next four weeks.
>>
File: tintininthecongo8.jpg (59 KB, 400x182) Image search: [Google]
tintininthecongo8.jpg
59 KB, 400x182
I happened to find entire comic divided into pngs:

http://www.blackkat.net/tintin/book/02%20-%20In%20The%20Congo/

Enjoy!
>>
>>82788380
>pic
Yeah there's a gap in his logic there. First he considers that African languages lack words because they have no need for them, but concludes that some particular words are lacking because they don't have the mental capacities for them, with very little evidence for that, since apparently a phone call with some guy at the Pretoria University was enough to teach that one guy.
Not having trained an ability and being unable to aquire it are different things.

Abstract concepts are very often based on literal and physical things in western languages aswell. For instance a contract isn't literally binding, but the figurative meaning comes from the literal sense.

These type of public service messages also exist in the West, and they're really not new.

Interesting read nonetheless, with some gaps in logic, and in need of better reasearch and input from proper linguists over a dictionnary.
>>
File: krampus.jpg (62 KB, 541x361) Image search: [Google]
krampus.jpg
62 KB, 541x361
>>82787332
The Germans got the right idea.
>>
>>82788486
I mean I'm not the same guy who made that claim. I was just jumping into the conversation.

Either way, I guess I see what you mean. But the reason that some people are so sensitive to perceived racism, is another kind of racism where they pretend everyone in the world is secretly Western under a thin coat of paint.
>>
>>82788749
>this guy
XDDD
>>
>>82786571
big, ugly noses have been a staple of villains for a long time, and has more to do with pointy features being interpreted as hostile than it does with jews.
>>
>>82788801
pete is a combination of saint nicholas's servant, assuming the duties Krampus was meant to carry out. The reformed church didnt like the idea of people dressing up pretending to be demons, so they assigned his duties to Pete instead.
>>
>>82788801

>Ficki, ficki!
>>
File: 12634545748.jpg (793 KB, 1658x2468) Image search: [Google]
12634545748.jpg
793 KB, 1658x2468
>>82785499
I really don't know who put americans in charge of deciding what is racist and how much you have to be angry at it.
>>
>>82788860
>Protestants fucking it up for everybody

I think we got an ongoing theme here.
>>
>>82788889
I wouldnt say leaving Krampus out of an otherwise unique celebration is fucking shit up for everyone though
>>
>>82788812
Yeah I see what you mean, but people are pretty ignorant about people who aren't themselves and ways of thinking that aren't theirs in general.
Wilfuly ignorant generally too, and it's sort of understandable. I mean it's much less of a hastle to pretend that my way of thinking is correct and anybody who disagrees is just being an asshole or an idiot than to actually try to figure out how every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks.
>>
File: TintinInCongo_023.png (323 KB, 990x1350) Image search: [Google]
TintinInCongo_023.png
323 KB, 990x1350
>>82786339

So far all of the evil deeds in this comic were commited by other whites whereas blacks are 'only' depicted as gullible, impressionable and careless.
>>
>>82789008
isnt that the whole White Man's Burden angle though? The other races can't plan or make decisions properly so we should do it for them?
>>
>>82788380
an interesting read but it fucks up on a basic level. For starters the issue isn't that blacks everywhere lack abstract thinking capabilities or mathematical concepts. Hell I'm white and I suck at math but that's my own failure. African cultures tended towards nomadic tribalism, a handful managed to make it to agrarian kingdoms but that was the exception not the rule.

never mind that abstract concepts being based on literal or physical metaphors is common pretty much across the board for various cultures.

real goddamn issue is africans just suck at governing first world nations and the handful who had nice infrastructure got saddled with incompetent assholes for leaders.
>>
>>82786339
That's partially due to the politics and history involved. The Belgians did some REALLY evil shit in the Congo. Like, competitive with the Holocaust and the Great Leap Foward. It's basically like a German dude making a comic depicting the Jews as bumbling criminals and the Nazis as patient caretakers who are only trying to help.
>>
>>82789008
>black kid born and raised in the Congo is hot after walking for a short distance

What the actual fuck? At least give them some credit for being athletic.
>>
>>82789050

Back when this comic was created colonialism was still going. We needed a better part of previous century to pursue different line of thinking and yet you are here, complaining that Herge wasn't capable of making the kind of leap that world at large required decades for.
>>
>>82789008
Yeah I'm pretty sure they aren't portrayed as evil, just extremely simple.
And I'm also pretty sure nobody claimed they were portrayed as evil.
>>
>>82789105
Also I think they were still doing that stuff at the time it was written, so it would be like a German dude writing that comic while the Holocaust was in full swing. Herge may have just meant to write a fun adventure with no malicious intent, but I can definitely see how people could interpret it as pro-atrocity propaganda.
>>
>>82789105
>the Great Leap Foward
Underrated blunder. Seriously how do you fuck up so bad people consider it a genocide.
>>
>>82789105
>Great Leap Foward

Haha, good luck trying to convince commies their ideology ever did anything bad. See: Commies being butthurt over Tintin in Russia.
>>
>>82789141
To Hergé's credit, he did make that leap only a few years later when he learned about colonialism in China. Although he never portrayed Africa proper ever again after Congo.
>>
File: TintinInCongo_032.png (346 KB, 990x1350) Image search: [Google]
TintinInCongo_032.png
346 KB, 990x1350
Land transportation disaster ahoy!
>>
>>82789214
I've voted commie, I made this post >>82789214 and I own Tintin in the land of Soviets. In fact it's the only Tintin I own.
Try harder.

I wouldn't respond to bait but bumping a Eurocomics thread is always nice.
>>
>>82789288
Woops, I meant I made this post >>82789187
>>
>>82788957
The way of least resistance. The brain is built to conserve energy, and thinking requires a lot of energy.
>>
>>82789141
im not complaining about anything, I was asking if that didnt fall in line with the White Man's Burden, which would make it perfectly logical he'd depict africans like that. That it wasnt bad intentions, more like a condescending attitude.
>>
>>82789081
but it was addressing all of those issues, asshole leaders excepted.
>>
File: TintinInCongo_061.png (263 KB, 990x1350) Image search: [Google]
TintinInCongo_061.png
263 KB, 990x1350
Herge prototyped so many fetishes!
>>
>>82789136
remember the mentality of the time was that all black people were lazy. possibly cause of the heat.
>>
>>82789288
>>82789304
I've known commies, and cries of "no true Scotsman!" were thick and thin. I'm sorry, but your ideological compatriots have left me with a poor imagine of you guys as a group.

My main complaint is that many commies are incapable of perceiving the flaws in the ideology. Or even unwilling to look at them, to the point of becoming aggressive assholes when you point out shit has just never worked.

So if you can own Tintin in the Land of the Soviets without foaming at the mouth 24/7, we don't have any problems.
>>
File: ideologies and so on.jpg (146 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
ideologies and so on.jpg
146 KB, 768x1024
>>82789489
>My main complaint is that many commies are incapable of perceiving the flaws in the ideology. Or even unwilling to look at them, to the point of becoming aggressive assholes when you point out shit has just never worked.
Isn't that a problem with most ideologists?
Most ideologies are flawed, but people who are vocally proselytizing them rarely tend to have a critical thinking over them.

Since there are a lot of 20-something self-righteous leftists and Che Guevarra t-shirts wearers, I can understand the wear and tear.
>>
File: TintinInCongo_110.png (302 KB, 990x1379) Image search: [Google]
TintinInCongo_110.png
302 KB, 990x1379
SHEEEIT
>>
>>82788380
This pic reminds me of Embassytown.
>>
>>82787366
Of course it's just shitposting.
>>
>>82790402
>tripfags thinking they're part of any solution and not of the problem
You don't seem any more useful or friendly than any nigger, why should I indulge you?

Remember who has a black president next time you make this post.
>>
>>82790925

>Remember who has a black president next time you make this post.

My condolences go out to you.
>>
>>82790954
But I'm not American, I was talking about his country which apparently doesn't allow negros to get all uppity like we do in our weak Europe.
>>
>>82787332
I'm mad that muricans think they can judge other cultures by their own history.
The Dutch didn't have blackface shows but some how they should share your guilt.
>>
>>82785499

Because they released it in America.
>>
File: 1458669906383.jpg (55 KB, 700x541) Image search: [Google]
1458669906383.jpg
55 KB, 700x541
>>82790402

There are stages between the absolutes, my tripfag friend. Obviously self-flagellation of western cuckolds only adds up to the flame, but going full Adolf on minorities is of no use.

Even /pol/ is aware that shitty parenting amongst blacks is what for the most part turns blacks into niggers - and this problem doesn't require genocide to be resolved.
>>
>>82786618
>who wants to exploit the good peace-loving beings to get gold.

I thought he just wanted to make soup out of them?
>>
>>82791148
It varies.
>>
>>82791102
>Because they released it in America.

This, so much.

Americans are too fond of trying to decide for others what could possibly make them upset - like how Fallout 3 in its Japanese release had taken out the ability to detonate a nuke in the middle of shanty town.

For all the talk about pansy, cuck-ified Europe, it is ultimately the US of A who unleashed political correctness upon western world.
>>
>>82786522
The first. Even older than I am Legend.
>>
HOL UP
>>
>>82791334

AYOO

SO YOU BE SAYIN'
>>
>>82791334
Don't you mean...
>SMURF UP
>*GNAP*
>>
File: Sassette_Smurfling_Comic2.jpg (77 KB, 290x400) Image search: [Google]
Sassette_Smurfling_Comic2.jpg
77 KB, 290x400
You guys can complain about black Smurfs all you want... but there's one thing we can all agree on.

Sassette a cute.

CUTE!
>>
File: obrazki_smerfy_3.gif (31 KB, 258x275) Image search: [Google]
obrazki_smerfy_3.gif
31 KB, 258x275
#NotAllSmurfs

#SmurfsAreAVillageOfPeace
>>
The problem with those Tintin comics is mostly that they don't bother to go beyond those stereotypes, and they're pretty weak. Possibly the weakest of them all.
You can forgive some racism or any other cultural difference that comes from a different context of production, as long as the work offers something else of value, which this comics do not. They even aren't as well drawn as the later Tintin comics.
I mean, you still get stereotypes in later Tintin albums but the comics themselves are much better and don't just rely on them as the main storytelling device, so it's much easier to give it a pass.
>>
>>82791679
>Hergé became better with time
Welle, yeah
>>
>>82788227
That sounds more superstitious than stupid. In some conservative places in the US people will gossip about people if they are liberals or gays.
>>
>>82791121
But how can you stll call yourself Americans if you go out on your way to safegurad black families?

The nation was founded on destroying them and on exploiting the floating workforce produced in that process after all.
>>
>>82791858
But that's the point. People are defending these earlier, weaker albums just to be politically incorrect, 'cause that's all the rage on the internet.
These books aren't good, and that's what makes the blatant racism even more noticeable and harder to let it pass by.
>>
File: Tintin not racist.jpg (169 KB, 940x880) Image search: [Google]
Tintin not racist.jpg
169 KB, 940x880
>>82786628
>>82786636
>>82789215
Yeah, Herge had clearly gotten a wider worldview and understanding by the Blue Lotus
>>
>>82792281
>The nation was founded on destroying them and on exploiting the floating workforce produced in that process after all.

So you suggest that any truly American future requires regular lynching of the blacks who, in turn, would be all reduced to pieces of obselete farming equipment?
>>
>>82792351
I defend them when fucking SJWs talk about banning or regulating them. Just because they're shitty and racist is no reason to open the door for censorship. I think that's distinct from defending their quality or artistic merit.
>>
File: Chinese_feet.jpg (102 KB, 425x400) Image search: [Google]
Chinese_feet.jpg
102 KB, 425x400
>>82792544

Is this sarcasm? He got it pretty much nailed down.
>>
>>82792627
SJWs think anti-female atrocities are cool when minorities commit them. See also: Islam.
>>
>>82792627
Yeah, I'm guessing Herge's friend Tchang kind of mislead Herge. Either that or Herge meant that not ALL girls have to suffer through that, which is what many Europeans thought at the time. Regardless, my point still stands, eventually Herge changed his views.
>>
>>82792584
Well, didn't Herge himself tried to stop them from being reprinted? I know he did with the Soviets one.
>>
>>82788086
This. Holy shit.

People can call him "insensitive" if that makes them feel better, but Africans NEEDED colonialism.
>>
>>82792944
Leopold 2 pls go and kill another ten million people.
>>
>>82792549
Nah man, you can also use them in manufacturing.
>>
>>82792544
I like the detail that the Chinese and the European have different names for the Boxer Rebellion.
And that the 2 characters are laughing at their own people having weird stereotypes about foreigners.
>>
>>82789458
asshole leaders, a significant portion of whom were remnants of colonial powers squeezing a few last ergs of profit out of africa are kind of an important part of that picture.

nevermind the significant population of blacks outside of africa who excell at abstract think because they don't have primitive tribal cultures to fuck them over.
>>
>>82792931
Yeah I remember Soviets being re-released was a big deal when I was a kid.
Don't know about the other ones.
>>
>>82792931
He did prevent the Soviet one from being redrawn in color like all the other black and white albums
>>
>>82786390
What you say is true, but, keep it in perspective. At the time of the writing, the author and book were considered progressive.

The author did a hell of a lot more research on his future books as anon notes, so the early stuff stands out more.
>>
File: feminists on islam.jpg (292 KB, 1280x812) Image search: [Google]
feminists on islam.jpg
292 KB, 1280x812
>>82792655
>SJWs think anti-female atrocities are cool when minorities commit them. See also: Islam.

Finally I can use this image.
>>
>>82789050
Yes. And the White Man's Burden was actually a progressive viewpoint at one point in history. As opposed to straight up murdering everyone.
>>
>>82792655
>>82793288
The face of a true feminist, right after he freed the shit outta females in some foreign countries.
>>
File: 1380224382595.png (151 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
1380224382595.png
151 KB, 450x300
>ITT
>>
File: AssyrianKing.png~original.png (1 MB, 517x734) Image search: [Google]
AssyrianKing.png~original.png
1 MB, 517x734
>>82793401
>Yes. And the White Man's Burden was actually a progressive viewpoint at one point in history. As opposed to straight up murdering everyone.

Remind me, was that before or after 2000 BC?
>>
File: 1453233519791.jpg (277 KB, 1152x815) Image search: [Google]
1453233519791.jpg
277 KB, 1152x815
>>82785499

Am I the only one who find these kind of "controversy'' incredibly hypocritical coming from the supposedly politically correct crowd? I mean, isn't this whole thing happening because they are judging the character upon its SKIN COLOR in the first place? Regardless of the context of the story? Isn't that the very kind of intolerance they claim to be opposed to?
>>
>>82789463
like your mom lmao
>>
File: 1458309671424.png (231 KB, 550x578) Image search: [Google]
1458309671424.png
231 KB, 550x578
>>82793685

Carl, pls.
>>
File: zing zing africa.png (172 KB, 791x702) Image search: [Google]
zing zing africa.png
172 KB, 791x702
>>82786390
>he thought africans were retarded because he didn't do any research
>>
>>82794988
what the fuck happened in Equatorial Guinea
>>
>>82794220
>I mean, isn't this whole thing happening because they are judging the character upon its SKIN COLOR in the first place? Regardless of the context of the story?

The context of the story is that smurfs were infected with a disease that both turns them black and into berzerkers who will try to infect other people.

That might just not be a thing you'd like to serve an audience that already has a lot of stories about black people going berzerk and a story about them infecting their communities, which according to those tales results in those communities falling appart into violence and mayhem rapidly. It's really not the context of the original story that matters here, but the context of the society in which the story is being consumed.

So this book is mostly okay to read for people who aren't from the US.
>>
>>82793718
Conquest was the way things worked say, back when you had Conquistadors.

The White Man's Burden was progressive when the poem was made in 1900, all the way up around Gandhi and WW2.

Political cartoon related. It's Teddy f'ing Roosevelt.

>>82795036
Brutal african dictatorship, in the class of the DPRK, and Zimbague. But since the leader plays well with business, nobody gives a fuck.
>>
>>82797288
Apparently the fact that the Euphrat-Tigris empires already framed their wars of conquest as spreading civilization to people living in ignorance is completely lost on you.

The White Man's Burden is nothing but new lyrics to a really old tune.
>>
>>82791098

Murrican culture is a cancer that ruin all good things.
>>
>>82797288
>Political cartoon related. It's Teddy f'ing Roosevelt.

Also the USA is a special case. Northern isolationists generally argued against colonization because their believe was that white majority didn't stand to profit from it, while nonwhites did. Accrording to them, the tropical climate was unfit for white colonists, so every penny spent on it would only benefit the nonwhites who'd come into work that way, and it would be white taxpayer's dollars paying them on top of that.
>>
File: White+mans+burden[1].png (1 MB, 942x661) Image search: [Google]
White+mans+burden[1].png
1 MB, 942x661
>>82797434
Don't work so hard at being patronizing where you feel the need to invent what I do and don't know. It was completely irrelevant to my point, that was perceived as a progressive position.

>>82797879
US was a leader in this area, absolutely. But America doesn't have a monopoly on the idea. It's not like Kipling was particularly unique or even American.
>>
>>82799621
>Don't work so hard at being patronizing where you feel the need to invent what I do and don't know. It was completely irrelevant to my point, that was perceived as a progressive position.

Your "progressive position" is simple imperialism, which has been around ever since the ancient city-states looked to expand their territories. Even the Romans argued that they gotta raze Carthage, salt the fields around it and force its population to live in a city well inlands so that they could eventually become tough like true Romans.

>>82799621
>But America doesn't have a monopoly on the idea.
The idea that the aquisition of colonies should be off the table because nonwhites could profit from it? That's uniquely US American. They even had a civil war over the fact that the expansion of slavery would cut into white people's potential gains in the westwards expansion.
>>
File: Star_Trel_stkiss.jpg (32 KB, 400x370) Image search: [Google]
Star_Trel_stkiss.jpg
32 KB, 400x370
>>82787222
Star trek was totally RACIS', man.
>>
>>82787222
Check mate
>>
>>82800982
You are truly my fucking nigga.
>>
>>82789136
living in the wild doesn't make you athletic
you're probably less healthy due to not having a balanced diet
every look at amazon tribes? they're short and skinny
>>
>>82801894
Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.