[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JSA Storytime: Captain Atom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 106
Good evening owls of /co/,

It's Invasion time!
>>
>>82770580
Pour one out for Darwyn Cooke; I'd love to see a floppy collecting all those covers he did last year, proceeds to charity.

Bareback, again?
>>
>>82770637
I'm so fucking heartbroken about Cooke. I never even met the guy but his work meant the world to me.
>>
>>82770637
awwwww yes

I would read so many comics involving Waller trolling Eiling
>>
>>82770758
I feel for his family, and the loss of the art he wanted to make, because he felt typecast as a retro guy and he had skills far beyond that

>Waller's popping the popcorn
>>
>>82770826
hey Dave, look who's being roped into things
>>
His Selina redesign has become so iconic
>>
>>82770580
I haven't really been keeping up with this over the past week or so but today, this morning, I went and tracked through what I'd missed.

Before reading any of this I knew little and cares less about Captain Atom and I have to say I'm so, so impressed. This comic is so good. There's such a layered approach to it, you can read so much of what is happening from multiple angles. And the whole thing works as a broader political statement. It very casually gives distinctive personalities and histories to even minor background characters, which is something I love in any fiction. It's totally fascinating to me that this started around the same time as Watchmen was running with its Dr. Manhattan, and I actually hugely prefer this comic's take on the 'what is human' point with a character very strongly implied to have similar powers.

Also, OTP is definitely Plastique. The interactions of Captain Atom and Plastique are great and you really see how they view the other and define themselves differently with and without their human identities, their powers.

This is why I come to these threads. I would never have read this if not for them, and this comic has really been a great and pleasant surprise.
>>
>>82770882
>>82770918
It's a complete bummer that there was a New 52 Captain Atom series and it seems (from what I looked at last night, the #0 and a few other issues) to ditch everything I like about this and just go full Manhattan.
>>
>>82770826
Feels weird to think he'll be remembered for what he was typecast into. If not for his exclusive I imagine he would have struck out at another label.
>>
>>82770637
>Pour one out for Darwyn Cooke; I'd love to see a floppy collecting all those covers he did last year, proceeds to charity.
His Graphic Ink artbook has nice two page spreads of all those covers!
>>
>>82770903
It's so clean and it's sexy without being boobsocks; you can see the animator's bones in it but I like his still art quite a bit more than Timm's

>>82771034
I wonder how much if any of his Image book he got drawn?

I also had not heard the "threw a beer in Axel Alonso's face" story
>>
>>82770826
>I feel for his family, and the loss of the art he wanted to make, because he felt typecast as a retro guy and he had skills far beyond that
Those all bum me out too

This has to be so difficult for his family, and it's a shame there's so many things he could have worked on and now he'll never get to

I do recall that he was upset about being typecast as the "retro" guy, I would have loved to see him on more things that would break that mold
>>
>>82770992
Yeah, if you make a definite you lose a lot of nuance that this displays. So many lies or questionable truths in this and they're constantly being evaluated. You could probably pinion this whole run with some Henry Kissinger soundbite.
>>
>>82771062
5. Don’t expect Darwyn Cooke to be getting work at Marvel any time soon. He threw a pint of beer over Axel at a comics convention, in the belief that Axel had announced a line of comics identical to the one Darwyn and friends had presented a full pitch for months previously. At the time one Marvel wag told me it was the first DC exclusive he’d seen signed in beer.
>>
>>82770580
Hello Storyteller.

>Invasion.
Oh. Okay then.

>>82770637
>Pour one out for Darwyn Cooke
In the words of Mrs. Cooke, fuck cancer.
>>
I think it feels worse than some of the other deaths for me because he was a guy whose work I was still looking forward to in solicits and shit.
>>
>>82770637
>legs wrapped around a silver naked man, riding him like a horse

GAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>82771060
Oh does it? Okay, that's a buy for sure. I was thinking along the lines of how Marvel said they were doing a floppy of the hip-hop covers, you know?

>>82771099
It's that it ditches the Man Out of Time stuff, and how he gets into the experiment is totally different, and it also seems to ditch the "can turn the shell off". I keep thinking about that aspect in parallel to Ultra Boy stories.

>>82771112
Can you imagine what Cooke's Marvel Adventures would have looked like?
>>
>>82771175
If that's gay then I don't want to be straight.
>>
>>82771176
>Oh does it? Okay, that's a buy for sure. I was thinking along the lines of how Marvel said they were doing a floppy of the hip-hop covers, you know?
It would be really nice if they put out a floppy with his variants, but in lieu of that the artbook is very well done (and has huge page trim, it's got bigger dimensions than an omni)
>>
>>82771176
BTW, kind anon of gifts, I finally listened to the arias CD you sent me because the material I wanted it for is material I could not emotionally cope with until now, and had a good cry with it--thanks again.
>>
>>82770992
Speaking of Steve, Darkseid War kinda went off the rails with making him into Grail's ultimate trump card. Seriously, what?
>>
>>82771260
is any superhero made for ass shots quite like the good Captain?

>>82771338
I am 100% not caught up on that

last I read, Fucking Kanto was drinking someone's wine
>>
>>82771338
Darkseid War went completely off the rails

It's disappointing, I'd been pretty hype at the beginning but it hasn't held together well at all

it was all worth it for the GL one shot though
>>
>>82771338
How many issues of that are left anyway?

I know #52 is completely unrelated to that and probably more related to Titans than JL.
>>
>>82771385
Oh man, you are behiiiiiiiiind
It's not worth catching up IMO
>>
>>82771338
Darkseid War turned out to be a year of disappointment given the premise.
>>
>>82771176
I think one of the reasons I find this comic so appealing is because it deals with fractured identities with a lot of its characters. There are a lot of fracture points for Nate's character. Any superhero with a secret identity has that conflict but Nate's in particular is so complex and convoluted and yet it really works in this.
>>
>>82771417
I think 50 is the end
>>
>>82771385
I think that's about where I left off too. It feels like Darkseid War has been going on forever...
>>
>>82771385
Honestly I can't even remember what's happened since everybody became gods and the oneshots

It probably reads better all together given out decompressed it is but meh
>>
>>82771470
Yep, 51 is a Jurgens fill-in, 52 is an Abnett.
>>
>>82771385
this is fucking great

>>82771420
I know! I just have felt no impetus, no WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN??? drive to go catch up
>>
>>82771486
It honestly wouldn't. For this one story arc, that one troll was right, Johns became DC Bendis.
>>
>>82771453
There's a lot of play with the human/More Than Human stuff in the N52 series, but I think it's too abstract and it's trying very, very hard to be deep. Whereas this is getting its depth through intensive character work on a seemingly mundane level.
>>
>>82771622
>>
>>82771385
>I am 100% not caught up on that
You don't really need to be.

Basically, Grail has kidnapped Steve, and gives him this magic kiss that turns him into a super-powerful god-thing that one shot kills Anti-Moniter.

And no, it doesn't really make any more sense in context.
>>
>>82771662
At least it was kinda hot before it turned into bullshit
>>
>>82770580
>Hal wondering why he's next to Mr. Bones in the fifth row while Guy is right behind Batman
>>
>>82771175
It's still less gay than "No homo" or "Oh jeez".
>>
>>82771563
I think the problem is that Johns wanted his own COIE, a 12-issue part epic. But Darkseid War simply isn't big enough in scope for that.
>>
>>82771563
Nah, the characterization isn't mangled and lazy enough to be Bendis
>>
>>82771647
uhoh, Durlans
>>
>>82771786
>it's a trap
>>
>>82771260
It's no worries. I'm glad it was enjoyed or useful. You do seem more a bit more upbeat now, insofar as anyone can tell that from anonymous posting on low quality chinese cartoon imageboards.
>>
>>82771743
>I think the problem is that Johns wanted his own COIE

Well he failed spectacularly if that was the case.
>>
>>82771743
He has all these characters but the majority of them aren't doing anything

Like the first arc seemed to be more about the JL getting their god powers but I can't really tell what the focus on the second half is
I thought it was "bring down antimonitor" but then the last couple issues happened?? and something about the baby but I dunno
It's really jerky in what it wants to do
>>
>>82771771
honestly so excited for CIVIL WAR 2
>>
>>82771809
>>
>>82771892
missile

to the tits
>>
>>82771892
So am I, but for all the wrong reasons.
>>
>>82771892
it's going to be such a shitshow

I hope
>>
>>82771062
I think both Cooke and Timm do a great job of making sexy look fun, which really makes pin-up shit like 1000 times better. Contrast with Greg fucking Land.
>>
>>82771712
I guess. If you're into that sort of thing.

>>82771743
>X wanted their own COIE
The last time that happened, we got War of the Gods. Which had many of the same problems of being overblown and lasting way too long.

Though at least War of the Gods consistently remained a Diana-centric event. I feel like she's not nearly as important in Darkseid War as we were led to believe.
>>
>>82771954
fucked up by Durlan Mr. Bones
>>
>>82771961
the Gregs Land and Horn both make me shudder
>>
>>82771975
Christ I love Durlans. How do I convince DC to release an unsellable sci-fi comic on Durla?
>>
>>82771892
I'm excited for Civil War 2 Aftermath Scarred Battle Road To Prelude to Civil War 3
>>
Are we reading Breach and New 52 Captain Atom too?
>>
>>82772035
Bendis won't even be done with Road to CW2 when that starts happening.
>>
>>82772041
mmmmmaybe

it's kind of low on the priority scale compared to staying in the gloriously political 80s

>>82772030
needs Ciji
>>
>>82771961
I still say Land used to be tolerable when he at least tried to make his tracing fit in and look like normal art.
>>
>>82771961
agreed

the key to sexy pinups is making the characters look like they are also into it, not like they are being paid to be there
>>
>>82772089
/k/ would be proud of the Captain
>>
>>82771892
>Civil War 2: Minority Report
Phillip K Dick must be rolling in his grave.

>>82771931
How the hell did that even kill her? Jen has surely taken much worse damage than a missile.
>>
>>82772089
I don't know about Nu52 Atom but Breach has nice Marcos Martin art so it's got that going for it I guess.
Most pointless reboot ever tho
>>
>>82772128
Thanos-busting missile.
>>
>>82772128
What grave? PKD's spirit is living as a druggie space machine prophet in the historical Roman empire right now, we all know that.
>>
>>82772146
Huh. I didn't know about that comic at all.

>>82772222
I thought the article about Cho was ridiculous, but this at least starts to talk some about "why is what's hot to me hot" (NSFW):

http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2016/05/10/61354/
>>
>>82772089
>needs Ciji
Ciji is love, and has no fucks to give. Kind of a shame she ultimately didn't do much in REBELS vol2. She and Vril seemed to get along so well.

>>82772100
I remember when we read Dixon Birds of Prey, and Land's art didn't make me want to dry heave. Good times.
>>
>>82772027
>>82772112
There isn't a lot of intellectual discussion of sexy art, and in comics there probably won't ever be because even the idea of it is offensive to so many people - at least, the idea of sexy art in comics that aren't only sexy comics.

Everyone sexy Land draws lol, "draws" looks artificial or miserable or both. And good sexy art can be miserable - look at Hiroaki Samura's bondage pin-ups - but Land's sure as shit isn't. Unpopular opinion: I also really don't like that Sunstone shit apart from the occasionally clever paneling.
>>
>>82772089
>need Ciji
I've honestly plotted out an embarrassing amount of headcanon about Durla and a large number of Durlans.
>>
>>82772275
dat Hal
>>
>>82772352
Sorry, we're not reading the rest of Invasion!, although it'd probably make more sense now than it did when we read it
>>
>>82772352
Hal and Dinah lookin' good

Ted looks like he's wearing lipstick
>>
>>82772396
I guess Invasion! was Captain Atom's crossover.
>>
File: P00019.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
P00019.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>82772396
Ahem: before we get going, one delightful page because I love you all
>>
>>82772396
>Cap wondering if he should tell the President there's nothing to pin the medal onto
>>
>>82772396
who the fuck can actually sleep on flights
>>
>>82772569
I can, although I always end up regretting it.
>>
>>82772569
busting up at pancake Ronnie
>>
>>82770992

I actually really liked the New 52 Captain Atom series, but I was just starting to get into comics when I jumped into the New 52 series so I had no idea of the character's history like this.

I still think it's pretty good on its own merits. People call his portrayal in the book Dr. Manhattan, but there's a pretty huge difference in characterizations in that Dr. Manhattan was a scientist, and Captain Atom was NOT, so he approaches the "god-tier reality warping power" from a different angle consistently.
>>
>>82772352
>Find out how Captain Atom helps Wonder Woman find the real Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman #26, on sale now!
We read that one. I think that was when Dr. Minerva first showed up in Perez's run.

>>82772396
Invasion was pretty meh, honestly. The tie-ins were better than the main book.
>>
>>82772607
>Eiling will never harass you again

lol
>>
>>82772275
It's kind of insane to me that the same person who sourced that article wrote the Frank Cho one.

That is a conversation more people to have and be open about. If I'm being honest and jaded that article reads as quite controlled and careful in what its contributors have put down. But absolutely, it is a start.
>>
>>82772569

I can doze for maybe an hour or so but I can never get a good restful sleep on one.

I can't sleep comfortably on any sort of moving vehicle, whether it's cars, buses, trains or airplanes.
>>
>>82772569
I can sleep anywhere.
>>
>>82772569
I could when I was younger but it's been like 10 years since I've flown so I don't know if I still could. Probably?
>>
>>82772569
I can although not for long periods (less than an hour, usually)

I TRY to sleep when travelling as much as I can though, passes the time faster than anything
>>
>>82772639
>If I'm being honest and jaded that article reads as quite controlled and careful in what its contributors have put down.

It all felt very expected.
>>
>>82772625
I can see that, and I haven't read it all so I'm probably being ungenerous, but I'm also loving this and I didn't have any high expectations so I'm ;___; at knowing it doesn't carry through.

>>82772639
the Cho one was written from a theory standpoint I just can't get behind at all, but I appreciate the impetus to source what she did, you know?

>>82772676
I wish I could absorb your power, it takes me 3+ hours to get to sleep at night
>>
>>82772808
oh Major Force, in a few scant years you'll become comics infamous forever
>>
>>82772834
all good things...
>>
>>82772870
all of a sudden Major Major Major Major comes to mind
>>
>>82772771
I don't dispute the choices. I like Coover, whose erotic stuff I think works as a comic in a way a lot of erotic stuff doesn't, and I like Cloonan - perfect Belit - and Lafrenais. I think there's genuine feeling there but I am pretty distrustful of any opinion where someone can wrap what the hottest sexy art means to them and why they like it in a neat approved and socially conscious bow. The last submission maybe feels the most honest.
>>
>>82772808
>but I'm also loving this and I didn't have any high expectations so I'm ;___; at knowing it doesn't carry through.

It always hurts to find some little forgotten nugget of good story that gets completely ignored by everything that came after for whatever reason.

Reading through all the Dr. Fate stuff awhile back was full of bits like that.
>>
>>82772639
>That is a conversation more people to have and be open about.
I don't think people CAN be open about it. Think about the standard reactions to any discussion of sexuality. They range from "Hehe, boobes!" and "OH GOD GENITALS EXIST, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!", both of which have persisted essentially throughout all of human history. I don't think our species as a whole is physically capable of being frank about sex. If we were, it would've happened by now.
>>
>>82770580
Heyho Storyteller.
I bought comics today!

Superman's logo is off center, I laugh at Rocket Red being in that group shot despite the Justice League connection, and which Starman is that again?
>>
>>82772897
Inza's absence makes me very sad

>>82772903
Will Payton, I think
>>
>>82772808
>I wish I could absorb your power, it takes me 3+ hours to get to sleep at night
Keeping myself perennially tired probably helps. But yeah I've no issues drifting off on planes, trains, buses, public spaces, etc.
>>
>>82772954
dat trollface
>>
>>82770769
Man, Cloak Durlans show off just enough of themselves to be real unnerving.
>>
>>82772981

Trollface nothing, that borders on a rapeface.
>>
>>82772900
Honestly I don't agree but the stuff I'm going to argue or refer to has already been discussed by much more competent and educated people. I get the sense sex is a bigger taboo in America than where I am.
>>
>>82770826
>because he felt typecast as a retro guy and he had skills far beyond that

Well, at least he got to replace the Jim Balent Catwoman design, right?
>>
>>82772981
>>82772998
"I, Durlan" is still one of my favorite single issues ever

look at this god-tier trolling
>>
>>82772954
Wade didn't backhand him for that joke why?
>>
>>82772954
>Inza's absence makes me very sad
Delicious Inza.
>>
>>82773066
Major Force is great comic relief until you remember he's a murderous rapist
>>
>>82772893
>I think there's genuine feeling there but I am pretty distrustful of any opinion where someone can wrap what the hottest sexy art means to them and why they like it in a neat approved and socially conscious bow.

That's how the blurb about the Sakimi piece made me feel. "I like it because there's desire and consent in the eyes etc", and I look at it and it's the same typical "fuck me" doll eyes. I'll still fucking fap to it, no doubts there, but it's like c'mon. The Cloonen one was the only one I truly agreed with. The rest felt like the typical "They draw normal girls and that's sexy!", which, hey, to each their own, but I see normal every day. I don't mind my fictional women looking like models.
>>
>>82773137
if Levitz writes Kent and Inza back into continuity, I will be Pleased
>>
>>82773178
Curious to see how long Dr Fate actually survives. Like even if that rumor you've mentioned about Levitz being guaranteed a book is true they can't really keep a sub-10k book going that long.
>>
>>82773178
brb, gotta take the dog out
>>
>>82773309

Blue Beetle generating so little interest ahead of Rebirth has me really worried.
>>
>>82773388
Yeah I'm pretty sure it won't last too long but if it at least gets Jaime to a comfortable place after his last ongoing I won't mind.
>>
>>82773388
>Ted, Jaime, and Khalid triple suicide in final issue
>>
>>82773142
I think the body diversity point is a fair one to make. It just all feels a little neat and safe to be authentic to me, and in some instances not fully representative of the chosen artist.

AT THE SAME TIME, who can really dispute the genuine tastes of another? I'm unconventional when it comes to sex - everyone is unconventional when it comes to sex - it's not something you can sit in judgement of.
>>
>>82771743
>I think the problem is that Johns wanted his own COIE,

What, Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, ect. weren't enough?

He's been eventing the shit out of DC for over a decade! Being a 12 issue miniseries hardly seems necessary for a Magnum Opus.
>>
>>82773441
>Giffen has the blood splatter spell out FUCK YOU
>>
>>82773388
Super-Man is generating much more hatred and annoyance than I thought it would

And it's not even /co/ it's having either of those feelings for the most part, which is the most surprising
>>
>>82773476
Super-Man looks great. It's just a hook I'm interested in straight away.
>>
>>82773388
that is unfortunate, on that one LCS's survey it was one of the lowest ranked

then again it doesn't come out until fall so there's plenty of time to stir up interest! r-right?
>>
>>82773520
that's a pretty idiosyncratic LCS, tho
>>
>>82773518
>>82773476
Yang made the naming process an interesting read. That's gotta count for something.
>>
>>82773557
Simply because they put out the data and few others do, they become a touchstone
>>
>>82773557
yeah I know it's just one Irish LCS so they are hardly representative of comic consumers as a whole, but I still hear very little buzz about Blue Beetle
>>
>>82773557
>>
>>82773476
/co/ is too blinded by a potential husbando to hate
>>
>>82773518
I am interested in the premise and the fact that it's set in China, non-US cape comics are a nice treat

I also don't care about the Great Ten so it doesn't bother me that they're making new Chinese heroes instead of just using them
>>
>>82773615
True, /co/ only seems to like him so they can hold his hand
>>
>>82772116
/k/ would be mad at Eiling for not recognizing proper loadouts.
>>
>>82773599
they need to pitch that shit to everyone assmad YJ isn't getting another season
>>
File: Inza.png (62 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
Inza.png
62 KB, 333x250
By the way, Inza actually was in the DCAU a few times. A think she and Kent were race-lifted to be... I dunno, Egyptian?

>>82773142
>>82773446
I might be more on board with "sexy" art if comic artists learned to draw anything the hell else. Characters all too often make titilating poses in highly inappropriate places, and it takes you out of the story. I can't get into a story when it looks like the characters are prancing around like strippers who can't "turn it off" so to speak.
>>
>>82773623
There's a lot about the Great Ten that seems questionable.
>>
>>82773623
>I am interested in the premise and the fact that it's set in China, non-US cape comics are a nice treat

I was just talking about this the other day, I LOVE superhero stories that have an international focus. It's cool to see what superheroes are bouncing around in other countries rather than just everything happening in the US.
>>
>>82773646
It does seem in character for Eiling to recognize that.
>>
The only part of the New Super-Man hate that I kind of get is that you don't want just copies of other heroes in foreign places, but the idea of a Chinese knockoff JL is literally the plot and logically he's going to get his own code name eventually so I don't understand focusing on that to bitch.
>>
>>82773652
UMMM DON'T DO IT
>>
>>82773715
also, Chinese WW a cute
>>
>>82773715
>codename is 'Chinese Superman'
>>
>>82773730
why am I laughing so hard
>>
>>82773641
wow this is a blue board, let's keep it clean here
>>
>>82773138
Yeah, his whole thing where they made him "frenemies" with Cap Atom is a little weird when you recall that literally his FIRST act in his FIRST appearance was raping a woman to death as he killed her in front of her child.

I mean, what the fuck?
>>
>>82773623
>people actually want the Great Ten back
Look, I usually prefer using pre-existing elements instead of needlessly making up new stuff... But frankly, the Great Ten are a bunch of hideous stereotypes best left forgotten.

On the other hand, I will be greatly disappointed if Kenan doesn't team up with Diana at some point to fight Egg-Fu.
>>
>>82773737
It makes me think of Turkish Batman, which is delightfully off-brand

>>82773759
It's been played for laughs I think with a deliberately unsettling subtext kept intact
>>
>>82772352
Is this the first time Blue and Gold got a chance to see Black Canary Classic? Because they're practically going Tex Avery Wolf there.
>>
>>82773759
This comic has a lot of characters who act differently in different roles, or with different people, and in combinations of either of those things. It feels in bad taste but not out of line with the thing as a whole.
>>
>>82773735
I like how her hair reminds me of sailor moon and chun-li
>>
>>82773771
And it's not like they're being ignored. They're literally part of the story leading into his book.
>>
>>82773771
Make Egg Fu a literally egg monster, then make him hatch. No more of this mutant human shit. Eggs have been prejudiced against for too long!
>>
>>82773771
Morrison's gaudy stereotypes are great though because he stereotypes everyone, even his fellow countrymen.
>>
>>82773925
A stereotype of a Brit from a Brit is seen in a different light than a stereotype of a Chinese person from a Brit, especially when the former usually play on popular/urban stereotypes and the latter on cultural/mythological ones.
>>
>>82773882
Preach it.
>>
>>82772632
Shouldn't he be Major Atom from here on, then?
{He could have a sidekick too, named Minor Atom)
>>
>>82773882
>then make him hatch
wh-what would he hatch into
>>
>>82773975
Not from me it isn't.
>>
>>82774028
THAT IS THE FUN PART TO THINK ABOUT.
>>
>>82773735
>>82773819
>type in "Chinese Wonder Woman"
>fifth result is Egg-Fu
Pfft.

>>82773869
I will laugh my ass off if it's because the Chinese government realized they made the most ridiculous super team ever.
>>
>>82773805
>>
>>82774029
You are not everyone, anon. I'm sorry to have to break that to you.

>>82773989
Holding out for Bosun Higgs to join the Particle Squad.
>>
>>82772632
It's January '89.
Reagan is already done as President. He's boxing up his shit so Bush can move in.
He's also riddled with Alzheimer's and probably forgot to tell George to handle Eiling.
>>
>>82774075
>>
>>82774085
I wasn't aware everyone is represented by a minority of people who get offended on behalf of others.
>>
>>82773989
And a pet sidekick in the form of an ant.

And endorse his own brand of apples.
>>
>>82774124
It's not? I'm just pointing out that it WILL be seen in a different light.
>>
>>82774100
Oh, that's true, we're past even peak "I can't remember!" by then

raise your hand if you remember Dukakis in a tank
>>
>>82774116
Christ Major you are the worst fucking guy
>>
>>82773388
Man, DC will never be able to push their B and C listers

Speaking of which, is Ted Kord going to be Blue Beetle in this universe?
>>
>>82774164
now the shit truly begins to meet the fan
>>
>>82771260
Man. Let the Khunds have Russia. At least they won't deny it when they commit war crimes or steal entire regions of a nation.
>>
>>82773882
Trivia time: Egg-Fu has had three distinct incarnations. The Golden Age version was just a dude who happened to be a mutant egg. The second was a living supercomuter from Apokolips. And the third was Tzang Zu, a mutated scientist who was the secretly evil member of the Great Ten.

All three managed to be evil commies. Only two had the prehensile mustache. Morrison begged editorial to let him have the mustache, but was denied. Grant and I agree on very little, but that was some bullshit right there.
>>
>>82774226
ruh-roh
>>
>>82774151
The Great Ten have existed for ten years now, hardly anyone cares.
>>
>>82774251
BTFO by daddy Bush!

who of course, we had no reason to think of as daddy Bush at that point in time...
>>
>>82774214
>Speaking of which, is Ted Kord going to be Blue Beetle in this universe?
supposedly
>>
>>82774214
The book is about him and Jaime teamed up in some fashion. I think the Rebirth special has a story about them that leads into it so we'll probably learn about the setup there (like if it's Batman Beyond style or if they're both in costume).
>>
>>82774272
oh shit ninjas?

reminder that Yale/Ostrander Manhunter did a ton of stuff in Japan with a minimum of exoticism despite doing yakuza plots
>>
>>82773066
Man, Nate certainly seems to be a big fan of letting guys ride him.
>>
>>82774260
Don't worry, now people will!
>>
>>82774300
>>
>>82774312
See if you can convince Chuck Tingle to write a Captain Atom revival for Young Animal.
>>
File: 1460052540100.jpg (31 KB, 315x285) Image search: [Google]
1460052540100.jpg
31 KB, 315x285
>>82774124
>I wasn't aware everyone is represented by a minority of people who get offended on behalf of others.
Heh. Welcome to the Internet, pal.
>>
>>82774100
Bush was actually a pretty good POTUS when it came to foreign policy and such.
Reagan's era was kind of marked by a lot of subtle military proliferation and spending on shady as fuck black ops budgets so the CIA and whoever could do covert shit in Communist-leaning countries that would make things more expensive or worse for Russia which was experiencing internal economic problems, which is why "black ops badass" is such an 80's genre thing; during his administration that kinda thing DID happen a lot and it was messy and partially hidden and partially not hidden and who was in charge of what was confusing.
Bush Sr, who formerly worked in intelligence himself, understood what a giant clusterfuck this was and cut back or streamlined lots of these budgets and operations and gave them proper oversight because he understood that with the USSR gone half a dozen "hidden budget" groups working against a Communist bloc that didn't matter anymore was a bad fucking idea.

Of course Bush's domestic policy was lousy by his own admission, but that's another story entirely.
>>
>>82774333
>>82774300
We already had the hi-tech Cambodian samurai, this seems light in comparison. Besides I kind of love Miller-style ninjas = superpowers stuff in comics.
>>
>>82774364
>Of course Bush's domestic policy was lousy by his own admission, but that's another story entirely.

It's funny how much of that conservatives were willing to overlook at the time, but he's gotten reamed hard for it in retrospect posterity, especially since the GOP swerved hard right around 2010.
>>
>>82774364
Fair, we got no more of the bad Ollie-style bullshit

20th century Cambodian history is best read with a bottle of gin at your side because you will weep
>>
>>82774318
Eh, they're not going to complain about them in Yang's book.
>>
>>82774400
It turns out people give much less of a shit what happens in some country who's name most have trouble even spelling as long as they aren't bombing us directly and more about if they have any goddamn job prospects or if their kids leaving collage have ones either.

Go figure.
>>
>>82774443
okay, daddy IS a little bit racist, but I'm pretty sure the friend code also says "don't bang your friend's kids"
>>
File: SIXPDOGW_Cv1_var.jpg (429 KB, 950x1470) Image search: [Google]
SIXPDOGW_Cv1_var.jpg
429 KB, 950x1470
>>82774338
hey, if we can get a Six Pack/Dogwelder Hard Travelin' Heroes mini...

which is a real thing that is going to happen, by the way. I keep thinking I dreamed it
>>
>>82773652
>Keep your personal opinions about the psychotic rapist that murdered your mother right in front of you to yourself!
>>
>>82774483
shenanigans!
>>
>>82774443
It all fairness; the GOP then is not the GOP now by any means at all.
>>
>>82774495
i still can barely believe it's real

someone at DC loves us in a completely fucked-up awesome way
>>
>>82774443
>20th century Cambodian history is best read with a bottle of gin at your side because you will weep
The Khmer Rouge is easily up there on the list of the worst human atrocities. Fuck Pol Pot.
>>
>>82773658
>I dunno, Egyptian?
Generic Middle Eastern to fit with Tel Aviv born Oded Fehr voicing Fate?
>>
>>82774495

What the fuck kind of drunk sigil magic is Ennis getting into over there to get two Sixpack-related projects greenlit in two years.
>>
File: SIXPDOGW_Cv0.jpg (309 KB, 950x1464) Image search: [Google]
SIXPDOGW_Cv0.jpg
309 KB, 950x1464
>>82774544
I don't even know who to thank for this. Didio?

SOMEBODY has to be pushing for it since I don't think ASS8 sold that well
>>
>>82774544
vintage costume time~
>>
>>82773669
>>82773771
The Great Ten as a whole weren't too great, and their word salad names were something I read as vaguely racist, but I did genuinely like August General in Iron when he was in Checkmate.
>>
>>82774589
it didn't, it sold like 8k

i bought it

>>82774626
Checkmate reboot when

(ARGUS didn't sell, so probably never)
>>
>>82774562
>>82774589
It makes me wonder what the third Six Pack book is gonna be
>>
>>82774649
>>
>>82774649
>i bought it
I did too! And I was going to swear off floppies, but this may require them.
>>
>>82774589
>Bueno Frankface
Thank you based god
And fuck you for taking Darwyn Cooke
>>
>>82774667
Six Pack Gets Drunk With The DC Universe?

Seeing Scott out of costume is always weird

we should read JMD Mister Miracle
>>
>>82774702

I have the whole series signed by Ennis

I'm so goddamn happy it is a thing that exists.
>>
>>82774742
envy

oh, so I did the evening jogging thing, and it was good, and now I know where the good streetlights are
>>
>>82774783
>>
>>82774806
surely he's just enjoying the evening at an abandoned rock quarry
>>
>>82774783
That's cool. Still be careful though, I don't want storytime suddenly getting cut off.
>>
>>82774649
>Checkmate reboot when
>(ARGUS didn't sell, so probably never)
I'm starting to think that the reasons for that aren't entirely fair. DC has made several attempts to make their own "normals deal with meta-human shit" organization, and it's always failed. I think the problem is twofold:

1) They can't decide WHICH organization to fucking stick to (DEO, ARGUS, Checkmate, etc).
2) People unfairly see all of these as SHIELD knockoffs. Which, even if they are, who cares? Fiction as a whole is littered with such groups.
>>
>>82774783
evening jogs are pretty relaxing

I want my stupid foot to stop hurting all the time so I can get back to jogging
>>
>>82774164
Eiling is straight up delusional with this whole "Major Force is an asset" bs.

I mean, clearly he wants to keep him on hand for when he finally tries to kill Nate, but he seems to ignore how dangerously close MF has gotten to turning into the Fridge Stuffer he was destined to be.
>>
>>82774876
ARGUS was also an event-related mini which can be a challenge to sell
>>
>>82774876
I think you have to force people into it like when Mon-El was in the Science Police as the star of Superman. They're going to buy Superman regardless so they'll read it then.
>>
>>82774876
Nobody thought the DEO and Checkmate were SHIELD rip-offs, because they weren't. ARGUS, on the other hand...
>>
>>82774894
I hate jogging but it scratches such a unique itch...
>>
>>82774943
hey guys, he's stepping on the multiverse!
>>
>>82775023
>>
>>82774915
I dunno. Shoving a group you want to push into everything can backfire strongly. Take note of Marvel reeeeally wanting the Inhumans to be a thing, and readers rather disagreeing.

>>82774938
Well, yes, ARGUS is very SHIELD, but again, I don't see how that's necessarily a bad thing. Nobody calls Guy Gardener and Booster Gold knockoffs of each other despite similar personalities. Why should this be any different?
>>
>>82775070
you owls up for one more?
>>
>>82775188
yes
>>
>>82775188
no bareback riding with Scott
>>
>>82775182
>Nobody calls Guy Gardener and Booster Gold knockoffs of each other despite similar personalities
probably nobody calls them that because they're not that similar
>>
>>82775188
Mister Miracle is one of my favorites
>>
>>82775197
good, because I just poured myself another gin fizzy

those lats on Beetle are ridiculous
>>
>>82775182
What? How are Guy and Booster similar in any way? 80's Guy was a complete and utter jackass, a jerk with barely a drop of empathy in his soul. Booster is an oportunistic doofus, but he's hardly an asshole.
>>
>>82775023
>Hey guys, he's stepping on the multiverse!
Huh? ...Oh for fucks sake. Yeah, I know saying that something that happened in Earth-2 was stupid is redundant, but still. Goddamn.
>>
>>82775265
>>
>>82775298
I couldn't help myself

>strategically ripped uniform
>>
>>82775182
Yeah, but Booster and Guy's personalities were pretty much established at the same time, and often in the same book by writers capable of differentiating character voice.
>>
>>82775340
and now, a recap for new readers
>>
>>82775340
Those aren't happy faces in those seats...
>>
>>82775388
>>
>>82775265
I love how they're trying to give him shit and just cementing themselves as a goofy bro squad even harder.
>>
>>82775401
no, they mad
>>
Captain Atom is a fag
>>
>>82775188
Sure, why not?
>>
>>82775436
>>
>>82775436
To be fair you didn't save Eiling, you actually stopped him from killing Bolt.
>>
>>82775444
you're mixing it up tonight, I see

He comes across as pretty straight to me, NGL, notwithstanding preferred flying carrying pose
>>
>>82775517
>you're mixing it up tonight, I see
That wasn't me, faggot.
>>
>>82775210
Scott is not ambiguously gay. He is steadfastly straight for Barda.
>>
>>82775535
Aww, sorry, sweetie
>>
>>82775546
>implying your petty sexual mores apply to New Gods
>>
>>82775574
>>82775580
I think calling Scott Bardasexual is pretty fair
>>
>>82775602
They are my OTP couple for sure.
>>
>>82775618
they are a true OTP

time for bullshit with tech!
>>
File: 56746877.jpg (24 KB, 241x268) Image search: [Google]
56746877.jpg
24 KB, 241x268
>>82775546
>>82775602
>Bardasexual
>>
>>82775661
there are no mountains like that on the East Coast

maybe Katahdin or a Presidential
>>
>>82775602
Counterpoint: is there anyone who isn't Bardasexual?
>>
File: scott barda 01.jpg (729 KB, 1280x1317) Image search: [Google]
scott barda 01.jpg
729 KB, 1280x1317
>>82775618
>>82775661
best part of Darkseid War
>>
>>82775705
unf unf unf
>>
>>82775705
literally the best couple
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 106

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.