[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cartoon Network's "golden age"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: x240-Aao.jpg (15 KB, 352x240) Image search: [Google]
x240-Aao.jpg
15 KB, 352x240
What was considered the "golden age" of Cartoon Network?

The first era was 95% airing old or syndicated cartoons, nice but not exactly going anywhere.

The late 90s, the era of Cartoon Cartoons, Toonami movies that weren't crap, and guaranteed new cartoons every Friday night. Felt pretty great.

the Early 00s, the live crap started seeping through and they started borrowing a lot of cartoons from other networks, but they started introducing original serial cartoons like Ben10 and Teen Titans.

Then the dark ages came, I don't see much point in talking about those. We're not quite out of them though.
>>
File: 1411157008499.gif (1 MB, 264x264) Image search: [Google]
1411157008499.gif
1 MB, 264x264
>we're not quite out of them though
>>
File: fjMkFls.png (100 KB, 528x262) Image search: [Google]
fjMkFls.png
100 KB, 528x262
>>82763717
>The late 90s, the era of Cartoon Cartoons, Toonami movies that weren't crap, and guaranteed new cartoons every Friday night. Felt pretty great.
the later 90s half was what converted me from Nickelodeon. Nick had these shitty live-action shows i gave no shit about, while CN was all cartoons. It just popped up in a channel surf and i rarely went back to Nick.

Also I still think 2011-12? was a golden age for a while. The only canada cartoon was Johnny Test, and whatever came along with Adventure Time and Regular Show. I consider it golden when you never have to change the channel
>>
>>82763946
This era would be golden if it wasn't for TTG, Supernoobs and Nu PPG.
>>
File: chef2.png (88 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
chef2.png
88 KB, 960x540
>>82763946
>The only canada cartoon was Johnny Test

That's hilariously wrong.
>>
>>82764182
Total Drama Island and its spawn
6Teen
George of the Jungle
Sidekick
Scaredy Squirrel
Almost Naked Animals
>>
>>82764301
George of the Jungle is the least terrible of those.
>>
the "golden age" was whenever you were a kid and were watching it/enjoying most, Grandpa.
>>
>>82765190
George of the Jungle was the worst piece of shit I've ever seen.
>>
>>82763946
>I consider it golden when you never have to change the channel

It's been over for awhile then since [as] went to shit a long time ago.
>>
>The late 90s, the era of Cartoon Cartoons, Toonami movies that weren't crap, and guaranteed new cartoons every Friday night. Felt pretty great.

I can't be objective since I have a shit ton of nostalgia with this stuff, but it strikes me as the golden age. They also did marathons really well, making little mini events around them.
>>
>>82763717
>the Early 00s, the live crap started seeping through and they started borrowing a lot of cartoons from other networks, but they started introducing original serial cartoons like Ben10 and Teen Titans.
Ben 10 didn't air until TT had ended (or close to it).

Anyway, golden age is late 90s-about 2005. Naruto's premiere marks the moment that it jumped the shark. Not that there weren't good years after, but overall it was downhill from there.
>>
>>82769558
George of the Jungle has been tried multiple times and it's terrible every one of them. I don't know why they keep pushing the concept.
>>
1997-2008.

Their golden years lasted just over a decade before they threw it all away.

Everything started getting better around 2010-2012 but they seem to be running out of steam again with crap like bears and nuPPG.
>>
>>82763717
Batman Animated Series
Superman Animated Series
Batman Beyond
Justice League
Justice League Unlimited

good times...
>>
>>82771938
The song's very catchy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrSUZPek-to
>>
When they aired yu-yu hakusho
>>
File: Cartoon network summer.jpg (39 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Cartoon network summer.jpg
39 KB, 320x240
I made a timeline breaking up CN into eras a while ago, that a lot of people seemed to agree with when I posted it;

>WB era 1992-1995.
>Early Cartoon Cartoons era 1995-1998 (Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, What a Cartoon with some WB mix).
>Middle Cartoon Cartoons era 1998-2003 (EEnE, PPG, Courage).
>Late Cartoon Cartoons era 2003-2007 (Billy and Mandy, KND, Lazlo).
>Dark Ages 2007-2010 (CN Real, Squirrel Boy, Johnny Test, Flapjack+Chowder holding things out).
>Rebirth 2010-2013 (Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, holdovers from the Dark Ages).
>Modern 2013- (UG, SU, WBB, Clarence, TTG).

I'd say '98 to '07 for the golden age. The early Cartoon Cartoons era was alright, but the channel didn't really seem to get an identity and completely solid lineup of its own until around the time that PPG started to air.

I think the late Cartoon Cartoons era was the absolute peak though. With all of the new content, Toonami and Adult Swim in their prime, and the old original shows still circulating, you could stay up for 24 hours watching Cartoon Network and be entertained.
>>
>>82773429
I say this is very accurate.
>>
>>82773429
i agree
>>
>>82773429
>Dark Ages 2007-2010 (CN Real, Squirrel Boy, Johnny Test, Flapjack+Chowder holding things out).
Oh those were a rough couple of years. I'm still angry.
>>
>>82773686
Note that they cancelled Toonami right in the middle of that, and while Comedy Swim was still doing okay, Action Swim was pretty much just Bleach and the Vic Mignola Power Hour.
>>
>>82773429
JLA is coming.....can we see a resurgence....or is it going to be appropriated by the modern faggy era of CN and SJWs?
>>
>>82773256
This guy has it right.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.