[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC Harassment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 4
File: FB-dc-comics-logo-cce82.jpg (20 KB, 900x470) Image search: [Google]
FB-dc-comics-logo-cce82.jpg
20 KB, 900x470
>DC Entertainment has addressed harassment issues at the company, following multiple incidents that have recently become public. In a statement released to CBR, the company expresses that it takes allegations of discrimination and harassment "very seriously," and that expanding employee training on the topics is planned, along with the review of existing policies. This follows an all-staff meeting on Friday afternoon led by DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson.

>DC Entertainment's statement follows in full:

>>DC Entertainment strives to foster a culture of inclusion, fairness and respect. While we cannot comment on specific personnel matters, DC takes allegations of discrimination and harassment very seriously, promptly investigates reports of misconduct and disciplines those who violate our standards and policies.

>>As part of our ongoing effort to provide an equitable working environment, we are reviewing our policies, expanding employee training on the topic and working with internal and external resources to ensure that these policies and procedures are respected and reinforced across the company.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-entertainment-addresses-harassment-issues-plans-to-review-and-expand-policies

Interested something will actually happen, berganza still works there...
>>
Nah, nothing will happen. It just an PR piece. It'd be cool if Berganza is gone
>>
>>82739801
never cared about the situation, but that is just a puff piece. They literally don't mention any changes happening, it's just PR to calm down tumblr.
>>
BErganza's already being taken off projects. Pic related
>>
Once you get past the PR speak this basically says that they're not doing anything but if something happens in the future maybe punishment will be harsher than it was before (which, if you believe the rumors, is private sensitivity training and internal demotions).
>>
>>82739947
More than likely Berganza and whoever the other dude was, will be demoted out of the way and possibly pressured into leaving with full severance packages.

It's not easy to fire someone who's been with a company for 20 years.
>>
>>82739944
Was Berganza previously the editor for Earth-2?
>>
What's the whole story with this?
>>
>>82739947
>>82740026
He's already gotten demoted once so that's not looking too good on DC's part.
>>
>>82740085

Eddie Berganza is known to harass female employees, got called on his shit multiple times.
DC is attempting to make it looks like they're doing something about it without actually firing him
>>
>>82740085
Eddie Berganza has a well known past of sexual harassment and has been disciplined and demoted for it in the past.

When Shelly Bond's position was eliminated, people started asking why it was fine for a veteran and well-respected member of the company to be canned, and not Berganza who in addition to being a creep, is also single-handedly responsible for some of the worst abortions DC has ever put out.

Whether or not you agree with the leap in logic, Berganza SHOULD be shit canned for the fact that he's a garbage editor and a reportedly shitty individual.
>>
>>82739944
That might just be general editorial juggling due to Rebirth coming up. Like we know WW is under Doyle. That's not necessarily him being removed from things immediately.

>>82740085
Noting really new. There's a lot of stories about Berganza in general and there was some public outcry about it recently after DC fired a good editor (one of the Vertigo people) and people pointed out that they're letting go of talent but Berganza is still around.
>>
>>82739801
"We're gonna do jack shit about Berganza, but there will be CLASSES please don't hate us"
>>
>>82740134
It is telling that the only noteworthy stories where Berganza is credited as any kind of editor are those written by creators that basically do not get edited like normal ones. And I guess Sinestro too but I consider that a cosmic fluke all around.
>>
>>82740136
>but Berganza is still around.
I wonder what kind of pulls and leverages does he have.
>>
>>82740070
He was, but he was off before Shelly Bond was fired (and thus, before the whole "Berganza is a creep" thing reignited).

E2 Society #10 was the last one he was the group editor for. #11 came out on April 13.

Bond wasn't fired (or, at least, it didn't become public) until April 20.
>>
Are there still zero formal accusations made?
>>
>>82740231
If Berganza is fired, they will probably do so quietly and leak it through like Rich Johnston.

It's worth noting that California is not a right to work state, so just rolling up to Berganza and saying "You're fired." is not that simple. He was disciplined in the past and went through the company's HR guidelines to retain his job, so he can't be fired for it at this stage.
>>
>>82740136

Seen rumors Rucka made a deal to not work with Berganza
>>
>>82740272
What do you consider formal? Supposedly DC has just been handling it privately and there has been legitimate paperwork done and some lawsuit stuff too. I would consider that formal even if it's not publicly accessible.
>>
>>82740272
The accusations were made in-company and handled by DC's human resources wing. There is literally zero doubt that he didn't do it, because he did and no one involved, including Berganza, is saying he didn't.
>>
>>82740313
I don't know how it works in murica, but I suppose formal is when you or a lawyers has actually talked to the authorities.
>>
>>82740134
His books make money so quality is irrelevant.
>>
>>82740368
But you don't have proof that he did anything only hearsay
>>
>>82740427
They really don't.

The Superman line has been under performing quite dramatically. Books like Cry for Justice COULD have been sales successes, they had tons of hype leading into it, but they ended up being pretty tepid. Not at all worth the internal embarrassment and stained reputation that came alongside it.
>>
Why don't they just fire him?
>>
>>82740385
It really depends. There are some employment contracts where you sign away the right to independently sue or seek true outside help beyond mediation. We don't know how DC's contracts work. And often in settlements there's NDAs and shit.

I think generally most people would only escalate to the public sphere if the company itself has done something illegal.
>>
>>82740472
He's innocent
>>
>>82740427
He's the guy in charge of the Superman line? In that case, that's false, for 4-5 months in a row, the first Superman title in the sales chart was at #47.

Batman makes money, Superman sort of coasts by.
>>
>>82740472
see >>82740302
>It's worth noting that California is not a right to work state, so just rolling up to Berganza and saying "You're fired." is not that simple. He was disciplined in the past and went through the company's HR guidelines to retain his job, so he can't be fired for it at this stage.

>>82740488
He should be fired based on output at this point.
>>
>>82740457
Everything's been underperforming.
>>
>>82740439
He did it, my dude.
>>
>>82740488
Get off /co/, Ed's mom.
>>
>>82740525
Thanks omnipresent god, you always have my back.
>>
>>82740511
Batman line does just fine.

Berganza hasn't overseen a sales success since Johns' Green Lantern, and it's pretty much the only reason he still has his career.
>>
>>82740525
>>82740537
No arguments and no proof
>>
We need to get Doyle to save the Superbooks like he's saving WW
>>
>>82740591
I bet you defend Woody Allen too.
>>
>>82740572
Because it's Batman. And if Berganza has to be fired for an underperforming Superman line, then everyone that's not Batman and Superman should also be cleared out.
>>
>>82740302
Could it also be because the allegations are a little older and they decided to handle them in-house back then, instead of letting him go? In the sense of, they should've fired him THEN, but since they didn't, they can't do it belatedly no matter how mad people get?
Though I suppose if they really wanted to, they could let him go for some other reason.
>>
>>82740624
>Doyle will never edit everything
;_;

Get rid of Harras too and make Doyle EIC
>>
>>82740651
I think the better question is what reason does DC have to keep Berganza? When was his last big sales success? Everything he's edited since Blackest Night has hugely under performed and has been hated by fans.
>>
Who did he rape?
>>
>>82740651
I'd be fine with that. Only Doyle and Khouri seem to have good books.
>>
>>82739801
>Interested something will actually happen, berganza still works there...
Berganza hasn't harassed anyone in years, he came out of the closet as a really troubled gay guy and apparently his harassing women was some overdrawn attempt to seem masculine
>>
>>82740746
I thought it was the Dark Horse rapist who was gay?

These rumors are hard to keep up with
>>
>>82740708
The vast majority of employees are mediocre and Berganza is one of these.
>>
>>82740774
Berganza isn't rumored to be gay

But yes the DArk Horse editor is the one who groped dudes
>>
>>82740800
The vast majority of employees aren't Group Editors that should have the most fingers pointed at them for why books aren't selling.
>>
Why did DC let Idelson go? Did he just not want to move to California?
>>
>>82740882
I liked Truth before it became a boring Superman vs Vandal Savage crossover and I imagine it ended that way because the fans were all "not muh Supes" so...
>>
>>82739801
Man I love many of their books, but DC's PR department is all sorts of terrible.
>>
>>82740843
>Berganza isn't rumored to be gay
He is gay.
>>
Why hasn't DC gotten rid of Berganza? Does he have something on them? Other companies have fired more important people for less serious transgressions.
>>
>>82740656
>Could it also be because the allegations are a little older and they decided to handle them in-house back then, instead of letting him go? In the sense of, they should've fired him THEN, but since they didn't, they can't do it belatedly no matter how mad people get?

DC's HR recommended he be demoted and retrained rather than fired, firing him after this for the same incident would be illegal in California. He has to be fired for something else. More than likely, DC will just pressure him into leaving, and Berganza will probably do so since he'll likely become a pariah in the industry and in the offices.
>>
>>82740026
>It's not easy to fire someone who's been with a company for 20 years.
But they got rid of Bond and she's been at DC for over 20 years
>>
>>82741092
No company wants to give in to every little bit of social media pressure, it might set a precedent.
>>
>>82741190
That was more of a layoff than a firing.
>>
>>82741190
They had to literally restructure the entire company and eliminate her position in order to fire her. That's not something you just do to get rid of one person.
>>
>>82741157
>he'll likely become a pariah in the industry and in the offices.

Not likely. Look at Scott Allie. Berganza'll be alright as long as he has his connections to people like Johns and Loeb.
>>
>>82739801
>>82739860
>>82739944

Who's Berganza and what the fuck happened?
>>
>>82739801
bob HARRassment
>>
>>82740670
Doyle is almost assuredly going to be EIC. DC had to have made him a sweet deal to convince him to move to Burbank after he had already said no.
>>
>>82741499
see
>>82740134

He's a group editor
>>
>>82741406
Berganza predates Johns though
>>
>>82740964
The latter
>>
>>82740486
Afaik, you literally cannot sign away your rights to report a FELONY.
>>
So is there any auctual evidence of any of these people auctualy doing anything
>>
>>82741673
Internally yes but it's all sealed
>>
Is he really gay? If that's true it's obvious why nothing's happening.
>>
Nothings going to come from this, the same way nothing came from Scott Allie's accusation. Until you start seeing creators showing solidarity towards one another publicly and making statements to that efect on this issue, its all just smoke.
>>
>>82741708
And then there was the Wondercon incident a few years ago which probably led to his demotion back then...
>>
I could at least partially understand keeping Berganza on a few books. But -- and this is especially true sales-wise -- there's no reason he should be a group or executive editor. It's honestly unclear why he's STILL so powerful in DC, where his name appears in such a large number of titles.

It seems obvious that DC is afraid of touching him. I imagine that his move from executive to group editor was the most they could do before he threatened to sue or drag the company through dirt.

I mean, sure, there's the fact that he went through HR. There's the fact that, just by how many books he edits, he's still about to have some of the best selling DC books (which doesn't mean much: the 10th best selling DC book on a given month might be 45th overall).

But DC is backed by WB, and even if DC is considered the annoying/ugly child company, they can still afford good attorneys to fuck Berganza in the ass if they want to.

He must have something BIG on some powerful players.
>>
>>82741708
How do you know they have evidence?
>>
>>82741759
There was at least one public incident as >>82741751 mentions with witnesses
>>
>>82739801
Boys will be boys.
>>
>>82741927
Can we send Scott Allie your way then?
>>
>>82741755
I'm really, really wondering about this at this point.
>>
>>82741861
Who are the witnesses? What did they see?
>>
>>82742070
Didn't a bunch of Dark Horse employees rally behind Scott? Sounds like he's a likeable guy who made some mistakes.
>>
>>82742117
Berganza kissed and groped a freelancer's girlfriend at Wondercon 2012
>>
>>82742117
Do you really need to be spoonfed this badly? He pushed himself up on some girl dating another DC person and there were a bunch of people there who saw him acting like a fool. This was the specific reason why he was demoted to group editor.
>>
>>82742156
No, quite the opposite. The editors banded together against Allie but upper management wouldn't fire him. All he got was a demotion and a bunch of the editors who forced him out of the e-i-c spot were forced to resign.
>>
>>82742117
Why do you want Berganza to be innocent so much?

He's a shitty person and a shitty editor.
>>
>>82742117
I know /co/ hates BC, but this is one of the most comprehensive pieces on the allegations.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/21/sexual-harassment-allegations-against-superman-editor-eddie-berganza-revived/
>>
>>82742246
I guess he's hoping this is just some kind of conspiracy and people blindly believing things without evidence despite the fact that it's not news and has been commonly known before this SJW stuff started in recent years.
>>
>>82742246
Mysogynist /tv/ poster probably
>>
>>82742246
You can't prove the most basic shit but you keep making these threads and attacking people with rumors this mattress girl type stuff just annoys me
>>
>>82742285
Seriously, Berganza being a total creep has been a poorly kept secret for like the better part of a decade.
>>
>>82742204
Some girl dating another DC person you don't even have names and you want to fire a guy
>>
>>82742416
Oh so you want every single woman he has harassed over the years to publicly identify themselves instead of letting them and the situation be handled privately by the company and HR. Even the freelancers who can get not hired by anyone else as a result.
>>
>>82742513
The name is probably ot there if you care enough to find it but I don't really.

I want him fired because he's a bad editor. I don't really care about the rest but I at least know the gist of rumors like that. You came in here with apparently zero knowledge at all but for some reason it seems like you have a strong opinion about his guilt and I'm not sure why.
>>
>>82742554
You keep saying he harassed people but you still have no proof
>>
>>82742435
Yeah he does give a creepy vibe
https://www.instagram.com/eddie.berganza/
>>
File: 14876687468432.png (16 KB, 512x468) Image search: [Google]
14876687468432.png
16 KB, 512x468
>>82739801
The harassers are reviewers.
>>
>>82742416
Who cares about Berganza though. It doesn't matter if he's an actual creeper or just some victim, I'd be happy to see him go anyway.
>>
>>82742297
Yeah probably.

>>82742594
DC demoting him and looking into it this time isn't enough proof that something is up?
>>
>>82742435
You keep saying this.

Show proof or it didn't happen.
>>
Isn't Berganza Mexican? Trump is proven right again.
>>
>>82742594
>>82742681
Fine he's innocent. Go away now.
>>
>>82742647
No one but the HR department actually knows what's going on you can only speculate
>>
>>82742681
see
>>82742285
>inb4 trusting BC. Here I'll post the tweet of a Ex-DC Editor

https://twitter.com/gimpnelly/status/723026643845976064
https://twitter.com/gimpnelly/status/723027328553512960
https://twitter.com/gimpnelly/status/723027449634680833
https://twitter.com/gimpnelly/status/723027633689100288

If you think AFTER that that he's clean, then my boy, you're an idiot
>>
>>82742755
And they're taking it more seriously than you are.
>>
>>82742755
Do you really need people to qualify every statement with "I believe this to be true but I have not read the legal documents because I don't work for WB"? We are adults having a conversation and no one has claimed to be in the industry. It's already implied.

What is wrong with you?
>>
>>82742794
>inb4 she's just salty she doesn't work there anymore
>>
>>82742799
They only said that because of busybodies like you
>>
>>82740746

that's a shitty excuse desu gay guys have no problem being misogynistic douches. milo wouldn't have a career otherwise.
>>
>>82742794
lol, why even bother.

Anything short of video proof of Berganza raping someone and he'd say it wasn't enough. And even then he'd question the authenticity and still would refuse to condemn him.
>>
>>82740591
He tounged raped an artists girlfriend in broad daylight at a con.
>>
>>82742876
>implying he believes rape is real
>>
>>82742876
He is probably Eddie himself at this point. No one else would care to defend him on this basis especially when it's not the main reason anyone even wants him fired. Most of /co/ hates him for shitting all over the Young Justice kids.
>>
>>82741575
Berganza is close friends with Johns. He was his editor on Green Lantern post-Tomasi and on TT and was the reason why Johns did the brief run on Superman.
>>
>>82742794
He's not clean but that kind of zero tolerance attitude is also pretty toxic. The guy hasn't done anything bad since 2012.
>>
>>82742918
Ah, yes, I remember when /co/ somewhat cared about those characters.
Now nobody bothers to lament them and instead says how they were always shit.
>>
>>82742993
Johns is kind of an interesting guy. I want to hear more stories about his workings with editorial and corporate eventually. We know up to like 2005 he was fighting for and against some things. Succeeded on Dick, lost on Bart. I can't imagine he was too happy with having Flashpoint turn into the reboot and derailing his Flash run (and honestly his output since then has also been bad compared to years before). There was also whatever it was that made him leave his recent Superman run when he supposedly had years of stuff planned. And he's the one who pitched Rebirth to Rucka but I guess outside of getting guys like Gates into stuff you don't hear as much about him doing that kind of talent stuff.
>>
So it's just the one guy
>>
File: wink wink.jpg (78 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
wink wink.jpg
78 KB, 500x375
>>
>>82743322
The post-Nu52 one I believe was just he didn't have time at least that was from people online who were predicting he'd leave after the Ulysseus story (and they were right on that).

As for New Krypton he and Busiek basically left to clear the way for Robinson. Johns left after his Brainiac story. But that was editorial induced.
>>
Hey, does DC still stand for detective comics?
>>
>>82742710
Italian
>>
Sure is /co/micsaliiance in here
>>
>>82740964
Idelson is now at Dynamite, but is its editorial as worse as Berganza's?
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.