[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me /co/, are capes the best example of modern US culture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Tell me /co/, are capes the best example of modern US culture? That is to say, a cultural item that didn't exist before the American continent was colonized, or that was brought here by Europeans or Asians (such as the ingredients of hamburgers). If they are, I can understand all this attention they're getting nowadays.
>>
>are capes the best example of modern US culture?
why would you think that.
>>
Pretty sure Coca Cola makes more money than capeshit
>>
>>82721461
>American
>Most of best writers are from the UK
>>
This is a stupid thread. Can we make it a Black Ring thread instead?
>>
>>82721493
probably because OP failed social studies as a child, seems to lack understanding of what encompasses a culture and only thought of entertainment for some reason

>>82721580
I actually never got around to reading it. Got burnt out on the Superbooks and the ending of New Krypton seemed like a decent resting point. I should get to it eventually.
>>
>>82721461
Scarlet Pimpernel was British. And ancient Greek heroes were, well, Greek and ancient.
>>
>>82721707
>And ancient Greek heroes were, well, Greek and ancient.
And not superheroes, in the sense we use the term.
>>
>>82721755
Superpowered, fighting evil. No secret ID, sure, but that's the Scarlet Pimpernel part.

Sorry, capes are just synthesis of long traditions in western culture.
>>
>>82721529
the UK is an American colony
>>
>>82721778
>Sorry, capes are just synthesis of long traditions in western culture.
You said it yourself. It's the synthesis that gave birth to the superhero. The Synthesis of Greek and Hebrew myths, vigilante fiction like The Scarlet Pimpernel and Zorro, and pulp science fiction. Before all those things had been established, there was no superhero fiction, because all the elements that gave rise to superheroes weren't there.
>>
File: 1423467993188.gif (196 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1423467993188.gif
196 KB, 500x491
>>82721461
>capes
>best at anything
>>
>>82721461
>such as the ingredients of hamburgers

You do know those are named after the German city Hamburg, right?
>>
>>82721839
What he's saying is, the concept isn't new. It's something that's consistent throughout human civilization poured into a new mould. The secret identity is the result of modern society, not so much American society.

The most American thing about capes is that they're a supergenre that has a virtual monopoly on comics in America, and is the playground of two massive corporations that somehow get people to bicker over which one of them is better while they're both equally shit.

That's America for you: The name becoming more important than the product.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.