[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When I was as kid my friends all swore that just by opening a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1462239779584.jpg (161 KB, 600x918) Image search: [Google]
1462239779584.jpg
161 KB, 600x918
When I was as kid my friends all swore that just by opening a comic's original packaging you cut the value of it by half. Is there any truth to this or is it just some shit kids passed around?
>>
>>82695864

Comics don't have packaging
>>
>>82695864
No, but that is what happens the moment you drive a new car out of the dealership's parking lot.
>>
>>82696750
So what you're telling me is that I should only drive a little within the dealer parking lot and then park it again when I'm done for maximum value.
>>
Comic books depreciates in value as soon as a person handles it after it's been printed.

It's impossible to score a perfect graded comic book since they have literally all been handled by someone
>>
>>82696835
...So we give them to people without hands?
>>
>>82695864
unless its an old as fuck comic from back when they were made to be read once and thrown out, you're reducing the value from 60c to 15c. it doesn't mater.
>>
>>82696750
>make home in dealership
>keep car on lot
>"test drive " it wherever I go
>years later resell my 200k mile car for new price
Why has no one thought of this before?
>>
The vast majority of comics are worthless and if you are concerned about this when reading you are delusional.

New comics only cost $3.99 because they're new. If you go to BookOff or a similar store a few months later you will find them for a dollar. It's only comic shops and some misguided fans that are trapped in the past enough to perceive old comics as being of any value.

I've purchased massive amounts of 70s and 80s comics in the last few years and never spent more than $5 on an issue (ex: New Mutants # 21 was five bucks but the rest of the run was about $1.50 an issue). Most were $2. Jacked up prices for old comics are a thing of the past. The back issue market is dead which is great for someone like me who loves cheap comics.
>>
>>82697101
I'm not concerned with the value of comics I buy, I was just curious if that thing I heard as a kid was true.
>>
>>82696750
Same with video games
>>
>>82697258
You drive your video games out of the parking lot?
>>
>>82697362
Only if it's a racing game.
>>
>>82697479
>he doesn't noclip out of the store
>>
>>82695864
Pure bullshit.

The only reason that old comics are (or were) valuable is because they are so rare. There are very, very few issues of the original #1 Captain America lying around, and so whenever Captain America becomes popular, it's value goes up. It is purely supply-and-demand, much the same reason that old baseball cards are worth so much.

The comics market actually had a crash thanks to people not understanding this, speculating that #1 issues were inherently worth something, and wasting tons of money when distributors kept putting them out.

Anything reasonably new (meaning anything you likely would've bought in your lifetime) is unlikely to be rare, and so worth the same in packaging as out. If it IS actually that rare, then it would be worth as much out of the package... although most of what you ran across probably has a million copies floating around, making it practically worthless. Seriously, I can't even give my old comics away.

As >>82696750 notes, this rule does apply to some products. Cars are the most noteworthy example, although anything that immediately gets put to use (like a water heater) probably has the same apply to it. For comics, books, DVDs, and similar entertainment media, it depreciates quickly within the first few months after the newness wears off and doesn't matter much after that.
>>
>>82695864
If your comic actually had a package to open it's virtually worthless already.
>>
>>82698623
>(like a water heater)

Who the fuck resells their water heater?
>>
>>82700157
>Who the fuck resells their water heater?
People who are remodeling, tearing down a house, or moving (and want to be a dick about it).
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.