[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Flash Rebirth #1 Unlettered Preview + CBR & Newsarama
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: FLASH REBIRTH #1.jpg (202 KB, 1200x1845) Image search: [Google]
FLASH REBIRTH #1.jpg
202 KB, 1200x1845
>>>>A long-time fan of the DC Universe, writer Joshua Williamson is finally getting the chance to make his mark on one of DC Comics' marquee characters as the new ongoing writer of "The Flash." Launching June 8 with "The Flash: Rebirth" #1, part of the publisher's line-wide Rebirth reset, Williamson and artist Carmine Di Giandomenico are looking to make life difficult for Barry Allen from the get-go with an opening arc that features a dozen new speedsters coming to Central City, the result of a Speed Force storm.

>>>Williamson told CBR News some of the new speedsters want to help Barry, some of them want to hurt him -- and some of them just want everything to go back to normal. But things are rarely normal for long in Central City, and assuming Barry can handle the threat of a new speedster by the name of Godspeed he'll have to content with classic Flash villains like the Rogues and Gorilla Grodd as the writer uses "every little piece of the mythology" as part of his run. Williamson also shared details about his new Vertigo series, "Frostbite" with artist Jason Shawn Alexander and explained how his new DC-exclusive deal will affect his creator-owned series "Nailbiter" and "Birthright" at Image Comics.

>>CBR News: The solicitation for "The Flash: Rebirth" #1 reads "Spinning directly out of the epic events of 'DC Universe: Rebirth' #1, the Fastest Man Alive finds himself at the center of a DC Universe at a crossroads." The Silver Age, "Crisis on Infinite Earths," "Final Crisis," "Flashpoint" -- what is it about Barry Allen that always lands him smack dab in "the center of a DC Universe at a crossroads?"
>>
>>82693176

>Joshua Williamson: I feel like the Speed Force is one of the many constants within the DC Universe and I think that grounds Flash to these big events. And because Barry has the ability to be in so many places at once, it's easy to tie him to everything. He has an ability to travel through time and different alternate realities but he also has so much heart, which gives him a really great perspective on a lot of things.

>And my opinion is, and I know not everyone agrees with me, that [Barry] enjoys being a superhero more than anybody in the DCU. He genuinely enjoys it. And that level of enjoyment puts him right in the middle of everything.

>>That's "The Flash: Rebirth." Let's shift slightly to talk about the new ongoing series. Your first "The Flash" arc is called 'Lightning Strikes Twice' and a new speedster is set to make his or her debut. I don't want to set off Wally West's fan-base but are we talking about Wally here? Or is it Bart? Or is it truly a new speedster?

>We're creating a lot of new speedsters. And one of the main new speedsters that we are going to introduce is a character named, Godspeed. He is one of the main antagonists. It's hard because I don't want to call him a bad guy. I mean, he is a bad guy but it's more like he has a complicated relationship with Barry. He's definitely an antagonist for Barry.

>In the first arc, a Speed Force storm comes down and hits Central City and a dozen new speedsters pop up. And they're running around town and The Flash is trying to rein them in. Some of these new speedsters want to become criminals. Some of them just want to lead normal lives. Some of them don't like having powers. Some of them are afraid of having powers and want their powers taken away. Some of them want to be trained as superheroes. And one of them becomes a killer -- and that's Godspeed.
>>
File: FLSREB_1_01_450_colorlo.jpg (333 KB, 790x1200) Image search: [Google]
FLSREB_1_01_450_colorlo.jpg
333 KB, 790x1200
>>82693183

>Our focus is on creating these new characters and how Barry interacts and reacts to them. It's Barry that has to deal with all of these new speedsters.

>>Will any classic villains play a role in this initial arc? I love the Rogues and Gorilla Grodd is maybe my favorite villain of all-time. It sounds like The Flash is going to get some new threats, but what about his pre-existing rogues gallery?

>I love Gorilla Grodd. And I love the Rogues. I look forward to using them. They're not in this first arc so much. I do have plans for the Rogues moving forward; I have some things that I want to do with them. And if get to write a Gorilla Grodd story, you have no idea how happy I would be. I am really looking forward to using all of the characters as much as I can.

>I do have a big wish list, a big to-do list of things that I want to do with "The Flash." If I have my way, I will be using every little piece of the mythology. My thoughts on The Flash go deep and Gorilla Grodd is right there, man. Again, I would love to use Gorilla Grodd. Originally, when I first developing my ideas for "The Flash," maybe even before I started talking to DC about it and it was just me in my office with my notebook, Gorilla Grodd was kinda tied into the first couple of issues but so much has changed since then. As I started thinking more and more about the story, I realized that when I use Gorilla Grodd, I want him to shine. I don't want him as a cameo or a one-note thing. I want to do a really cool Gorilla Grodd story.

>>2016 is the 60th anniversary of Barry Allen becoming The Flash. Admittedly, he's not Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman, but where do you think he ranks among the all-time great superheroes?
>>
File: FLSREB_1_04_450_colorlo.jpg (339 KB, 790x1200) Image search: [Google]
FLSREB_1_04_450_colorlo.jpg
339 KB, 790x1200
>>82693198

>Oh, yeah. Of course. Maybe I'm naïve because I love him so much but I definitely think that he is one of the most iconic superheroes. Ever since I started writing it, everywhere I go -- everywhere I go -- I see Flash T-shirts. I was at the airport, flying to Mark Waid's comic book store for Free Comic Book Day and I saw Flash T-shirts everywhere so it's not just the comic book stores. I was at the grocery store last night and saw a guy in a Flash T-shirt. He's one of those characters that deserves to be in the main lineup. And "The Flash" TV show has helped with that too. It's really leveled him up.

>>Last month DC announced that you had signed an exclusive contract. Why was this the right time for you professionally to join DC exclusively?

>Since I was a little kid, I've loved DC Comics. I love these characters and when I started talking with them about "The Flash" where there was this moment when I was in the writers' room with Geoff [Johns] and my editors Brian Cunningham and Amedeo Turturro talking about story and I just realized that's where I belonged. That's where I wanted to be. I wanted to be working with this mythology and with these characters and with these people. I love talking with Geoff [Johns] about these characters. He's so passionate. I felt like it was time and it's where I was meant to be. And I'm really excited about it. It's a dream come true for me. I appreciate how lucky I am to be a part of this, the rebirth of the DC Universe. I am very aware of how much of a big deal this is. And I wanted to invest in it like DC Comics invested me. It's amazing. And it's not only fun talking to Geoff and telling these stories but I also feel that I am growing as a creator.

>>Nothing has been announced but this exclusive deal likely means that you will be writing more than one series for DC Comics. Any hints of who else you will be writing in the future?
>>
File: FLSREB_1_06_450_colorlo.jpg (364 KB, 791x1200) Image search: [Google]
FLSREB_1_06_450_colorlo.jpg
364 KB, 791x1200
>>82693210

>Yeah, conversations have started. There are some things that I want to do and some things that they want me to do. We've been talking back and forth but really because of the double shipping, "The Flash" is the priority for me right now. And that's the book that I really want to write. There are other things that I want to do but it's too early to talk about it. And other things I plan to do but it's just too early. And really, "The Flash" is such a big responsibility. I just want to focus on it and make sure lives up to qualifications. I love this character and I love this book. Not only does Barry have a rich story but there has been so many creators who I have really enjoyed on "The Flash" the last 50 years and I want to make sure that I meet that standard that they set.

>>While I am guessing this isn't a Captain Cold-Killer Frost team-up, which would be awesome, what can you share about your new Vertigo series, "Frostbite?"

>[Laughs] "Frostbite" is about a woman who is a trafficker, not just of people but of items, in this world where the snow-pocalypse happened but now we've past that and humanity has survived. Humanity overcame this disaster and now they live in this world, this snowy landscape. It's like a mix between "Mad Max" in the snow and "Blade Runner." This woman's named Keaton and her job is to transport things across the ice. And she gets a job that is way more than she expected.

>While this is happening, there is a disease called 'frostbite' that is spreading and it turns people into ice slowly from the inside. And she has to deal with that too.

>[Artist] Jason Shawn Alexander is doing amazing work on the book. It's just like "The Flash." I'm really excited to be working with Carmine [Di Giandomenico]. I am very lucky right now in terms of my career and whom I am working with. I am working with a lot of great artists and inkers and colorists.
>>
File: FLSREB_1_09_450_colorlo.jpg (315 KB, 790x1200) Image search: [Google]
FLSREB_1_09_450_colorlo.jpg
315 KB, 790x1200
>In DC's new Rebirth relaunch of The Flash, readers will learn the evolution of young Wally West into the new Kid Flash for the modern DC Universe as Barry Allen is surrounded by newly powered people who want him to mentor them.

>No, this isn't the exact same Kid Flash/Wally that readers knew in past DC universes, but series writer Joshua Williamson is hoping to surprise readers with some new mysteries and twists to both Barry Allen and Wally West's stories as Rebirth relaunches the title with a new #1 in June.

>First up is Flash Rebirth, an issue that ships June 8 and opens "a case that Barry is working that will have long-lasting effects on the book," according to Williamson. Then Barry becomes overwhelmed by all the newly powered characters that he has started to mentor as new heroes.

>Newsarama talked to Williamson about his approach to The Flash, whether he's changing anything about what happened with the character in the "New 52," and how experienced speedster writer and Rebirth architect (and DC Chief Creative Officer) Geoff Johns influenced the new direction for The Flash.

>Newsarama: Josh, we've been told that Rebirth gets the DC characters back to their core. What would you say is the most important part of Barry Allen that you're hoping to highlight as you kick off your run with a new #1?

>Joshua Williamson: His passion for doing the right thing, for finding truth and justice. But also — you know me and the kind of writing I do — I think there's a part of Barry who does too much, and he knows he does too much, but he continues to do it and to push himself too hard.

>Nrama: Is his passion for doing the right thing what makes him overextend himself?

>Williamson: Yeah, he can't help himself. He wants to save everyone. He wants to do everything he can. He has these powers, so he wants to go out and save everyone.

>Eventually, he's going to find himself overwhelmed.
>>
>>82693232

>And that's a big part of the story we're telling, is how Barry just can't be in two places at once. He has this speed, but he can't do everything.

>But he's still going to try. He's never going to quit.

>Nrama: What I hear is, "I need a sidekick!"

>Williamson: That is definitely part of it. He needs help, right? He needs help.

>But sometimes, like the monkey's paw, it'll mess you up.

>He needs help. He needs someone to come in and help him out. And he gets a little bit too much help.

>It ends up becoming another thing for him to deal with, another thing for him to have to deal with.

>Nrama: No good in there?

>Williamson: Sometimes it's good. Sometimes they can help. But sometimes, it's too much.

>Nrama: It depends on who's helping, right? As you start your story, he's got several people helping out — people who have obtained powers and are now being mentored by Barry?

>Williamson: Yeah, when the Speed Force storm hits, it hits kind of small at first and then it gets bigger.

>So at first he feels like, "Oh, I can do this. I can do this. I can have a partner. I can train somebody."

>But then it there are more and more — and it's a lot of responsibility to take on. It's a lot to deal with. And now he feels responsible for all these people.

>Nrama: When you say "all these people," is Wally part of the people that Barry is mentoring?

>Williamson: You have to wait and see.

>There's an interesting twist coming with that.

>I mean, it's obvious that Wally is going to become Kid Flash. I mean, he's all over the promo stuff. He's on the cover of Teen Titans #1, so that's out there.

>But there's going to definitely be a twist when it comes to Wally's evolution to becoming a superhero. There's going to be something I think people will be surprised by — what leads to him doing that.

>And is Barry the one training him? I don't know. We'll have to see.
>>
>>82693222
>muh Justice Trinity
>>
>>82693251

>Nrama: But is The Flash title where we learn about Wally's evolution into Kid Flash?

>Williamson: Yes.

>Nrama: You just told me the core of Barry Allen as the Flash. Can you talk about the differences between him and Wally?

>Williamson: Their motivations are different. I think that Barry comes from a place of tragedy. He's searching for truth and justice. That is where Barry comes from. Barry comes from this place of, "This is my responsibility."

>But Wally, he's hesitant to be a hero and to use the powers. He's not going to dive right in. His motivation is very different.

>He's a kid. He thinks it's fun — I guess that's the best way to put it. He thinks it's fun to go out there and use them.

>He idolizes the Flash. He wants to be like the Flash. He really idolizes him. But as the story goes on, things…. you know that saying about "never meet your idol?" He's going to kind of see that the Flash is not exactly what he thought. Because Barry is a flawed person. He wants to do everything he can and be a great hero, but sometimes Barry can't see the forest for the trees, because he's trying to be so much. He can't always focus and see.

>Whereas Wally, I think Wally's perspective is a little more grounded than Barry's. I think that he is able to take it all in in a different way than Barry can. He can see the Force, whereas I don't think Barry can, right now at least. That's part of the story, is showing that and then showing how we move forward from that.

>Nrama: You've mentioned Godspeed and how he becomes a nemesis for Barry. Why this character? Is there something you're trying to say about Barry by pitting him against this individual?
>>
>>82693232
>Infantino theater
teehee
>>
>>82693274

>Williamson: I wanted a character who questioned Barry. There's a saying about bad guys that the best bad guys are either opposite of the hero, or they're a mirror. And I think with Barry, when it came to characters like Zoom or Reverse Flash, they were the opposite. Right? They were the reverse. But Godspeed, I wanted to show someone who is closer to a mirror, to show a different path than Barry would have taken.

>This is someone who has similar ideas to Barry about justice, but with a different perspective.

>It's hard to talk about without spoiling anything.

>But I wanted this character, Godspeed, to be someone that worked as a mirror, to show Barry a side of himself that he didn't know was there, that he was sort of hiding. That's what Godspeed represents. He represents the version of justice that's really just revenge.

>But I love writing Godspeed. He's a great character to work with. He uses the speed powers in very different ways. Whereas Barry is very scientific and thoughtful, I think Godspeed is much more of a blunt instrument, and much more violent, and much more twisted with speed in ways that Barry would never use the speed.

>There's a scene in one of the issues where the two of them are arguing, and it's one of my favorite scenes I've written in the book so far, and I think Godspeed points things out to Barry that, as readers, we've probably thought about. But he's getting to say it right to Barry's face. And I'm really excited for readers to get to that scene.

>Nrama: You mentioned before that I know the way you write. But can you describe your approach to the structure of the Flash series? Longer story arcs? Shorter? Is there a bigger picture that you have in mind for your run?

>Williamson: I have things planned out pretty far out. It just depends on if they let me do it all. But I have this big plan for things that I want to do.
>>
>>82693298

>The first arc, after the Rebirth issue, is eight issues long. And then there will be shorter arcs. But I definitely have plans for it.

>And in the Rebirth issue, you'll see seeds for things that are planned out for a long time.

>Nrama: There were a lot of things established about Barry and his world in the "New 52." Is this going to diverge from that? Or are you keeping that stuff intact?

>Williamson: I'm keeping things as intact as I can. I like to build on story and find new avenues and new ways to use what's come before rather than ignore. I'm a big continuity junkie. I've been reading comics my whole life.

>I'd rather take everything that's been there and find ways to keep moving forward with it. And you know, that was part of the theme behind that first story arc in Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul's run. It's actually called "Move Forward." And I just want to keep that idea going, moving forward from what's been set up behind me.

>And there are pieces of it I want to use. So I plan to keep building and moving forward with Rebirth.

>Nrama: Let's talk about your artists. How are you utilizing them both as the series becomes a twice-monthly book. And what are they bringing to the visuals of the book?

>Williamson: Carmine DiGiandomenico, whose name I always say wrong, will come on and do a few issues, then Neil Googe will do a few issues.

>But man, Carmine brings so much energy to the story. And he finds ways to be inventive with the story. That was something in issue #1 that he did that was really, really minor, but I was so happy — this small, subtle touch that I think helps tell the story. When you find an artist who can help you visualize little bits and pieces of the story and reveal character and show bits and pieces of character through the art — even if it's subtle little things — those are the artists that you want to work with. And Carmine is one of those artists.
>>
>>82693327

>And man, he draws lightning really well. And the action sequences are amazing. There's an action sequence in #2 that's really cool. It feels kinetic. It feels like it's moving along really quickly, which works so well on the Flash. And Ivan Plascencia really sets the mood with the colors. It's all able to lead you through the issue, and each scene has its own tone, using the colors.

>And Neil — I've been wanting to work with Neil for years. When his name came up, I was like, yes, let's do that.

>I've been very lucky to be working with them.

>Nrama: What about the Rebirth issue of The Flash? Anything you can say about that?

>Williamson: It opens on a case that Barry is working that will have long-lasting effects on the book, and for the Flash. I think people will be surprised, but also intrigued by this big mystery we're building.

>Nrama: And you worked with Geoff Johns a little on this, putting together ideas? I've heard there's a room with a big white board where he met with writers on Rebirth series. With him being so close to the Flash for so long — even involved with the TV show — what was it like to have him involved in your formation of the story and this series?

>Williamson: Oh man, I've known Geoff for awhile, so we've known each other for years. I mean, you know. I'm a big DC fan, and I've always been a fan of his. And I met Geoff when I wanted his autograph as a kid. And we've kept in contact.

>I talked with Dan about the story and what I want to do, and Dan told Geoff. I had turned in some paperwork with my thoughts about the big story I wanted to tell.

>The first time I sat down with Geoff, I didn't know that's what we were doing at first. I thought it was going to be me pitching it to him. But he already knew what I had planned. And that was great. We got to sit down and we just started talking about character, and what Barry wants. And Barry's motivations.
>>
>>82693232
>DUDE INFANTINO LMAO

Holy shit stop it we know already
>>
File: FLSREB_Cv1var.jpg (148 KB, 495x752) Image search: [Google]
FLSREB_Cv1var.jpg
148 KB, 495x752
>>82693353

>We talked about the story, going back and forth on it. It was a really great experience. It's probably one of my favorite experiences I've ever had in comics, working on this book with him, sharing my thoughts on Barry Allen, my thoughts on the Flash and things I wanted to do. He's been working on these things so long — I don't know if there's anybody who knows that universe as well as Geoff — to sit there with him and just go back and forth was an amazing experience.

>And I got to do it a couple other times since then. It's been awesome. It's part of the reason I decided to go exclusive, was because of that. It's been really great.

Pic related: Variant by Jason Pearson
>>
>>82693251
>>And is Barry the one training him? I don't know. We'll have to see.

plus >>82693210's picture

holy shit, is Thawne going to train Wally?
>>
>>82693198
What kind of idiot is inking this? Fuck.
>>
>>82693440
DiGiandomenico probably inked that himself
>>
File: 1461717914367.gif (897 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1461717914367.gif
897 KB, 200x150
>That art
>>
>>82693519
Di Giandomenico is artist on the final SeeKing issue of Grayson
>>
>>82693232
not a big fan of the art, but I really like everything the writer is saying and the art should be rotating anyways, so I'm pumped.
>>
>>82693176
Are all the rebirth series going to retell the origin of the characters?
>>
>>82693176
Why are people memeing about the art? looks good desu. Coloring is probably the best thing.
>>
>>82694125
Other than it being stiff, I like it
>>
I like he's bringing back the Flash Family and seems invested.

Also this art was not what I was expecting. Kinda sketchy/sloppy

wally tho ;_;
>>
>>82694125
I like his art but I'm not too fond of the coloring. It could be better.
>>
>>82694133
Other artist is more stiff and this one is pretty dynamic. See Grayson issue 17. Also he has good panel layout.
>>
>>82693222
>pre-New52 Prof Zoom and post
>the Prof Zoom neck snap
W-what happening
>>
File: o fuck.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
o fuck.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
>>82693210
>NEVER AGAIN
>>
>>82693414

Wally is training Wally.

It's happening faglords. It's fucking happening.
>>
>>82693210

Flash's popularity has always been really steady. I have to agree with him that it's underestimated how popular he is with the gen public.
>>
>>82694577
Yeah I hope DC does push the book a bit so it can at least get out of the mid 30k range.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.