[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Academics liked it, /co/. Why don't you? http://sequart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
Academics liked it, /co/. Why don't you?
http://sequart.org/magazine/63548/academics-on-batman-v-superman/
>Released on March 25, 2016, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice was a movie decades in the making. As the first live action film featuring both Batman and Superman it was a movie featuring two of the biggest pop culture icons in history.
>Though hotly anticipated, the film has met with questionable responses from critics, audiences, and the box office. Since these reactions have already been noted, I wanted to take a different approach. As such, I have reached out to academics who professionally study popular culture and mass entertainment, and asked them to share their thoughts on what type of scholarship Batman v. Superman could inspire.
>>
No one cares.

All I remember about that movie is a jar of piss and MARTHA.
>>
>>82689323
That's becase your attention span and the ability to think critically have been killed by the memes and cool-moment-oriented media
>>
File: 1385509453519.jpg (28 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1385509453519.jpg
28 KB, 184x184
>Sequart Organization
>>
>>82689302
That was a part of the introduction to the article, not its substantive content.

Here's a relevant quote you illiterate fuckbag.

>"Batman v. Superman is a flawed movie that frustrates more than engages, and ultimately its interest in these heroes as individuals is overshadowed by its focus on them as forces of destruction"

The article basically says BvS had the potential to ask important quesions about what role Superheroes has and challenge the genre, but fucks it up in the delivery.
>>
Consider that not one person in that entire article said it was a good movie.
>>
>>82689302
Pseduintelictuals liked it there's a difrence
>>
>>82690059
>dident auctualy finish the article
>complains about attention spans
>>
>>82689302
>Academics liked it, /co/. Why don't you?
not enough smiles, wb not paying as much as disney
>>
"BvS is garbage"

Marcus S

Stanford University, Ph.D. Student
>>
>That it raises so many interesting questions only enhances the frustration of not answering them in a satisfactory manner. Batman v. Superman is a flawed movie that frustrates more than engages, and ultimately its interest in these heroes as individuals is overshadowed by its focus on them as forces of destruction

>While it suffers in obvious moments as a franchise starter and from Zack Snyder’s testosterone-heavy direction, the film makes interesting comments on superpowers in a political arena.
>>
>>82689302
Is that Rebecca Sugar?
>>
>>82690255
>comments on superpowers in a political arena
Which has been done much better at that.
>>
>>82690093
To be fair, they publish books that people (like me) bought.
>>
>>82690208
It's a shame that the quality of education and ethics at ivy league universities has dropped so much.
>>
>>82690423
>Which has been done much better at that.
it really hasn't
not in movies, at least
>>
>>82690423
It's amazing to me that Marvel, with its incredibly safe "fun" formula, made a better statement about superheroes in politics and their relationship with the government than BvS did.

Like just compare the two "who was right" threads between BvS and Civil War. People couldn't even find what Superman's stance was in BvS.
>>
>>82689302
Academic wannabe here.

Talked with academic about movie.

Said discussion involved heavy sighs and conclusions that the film was at best married to several ill-executed premises.
>>
>>82690593
They glossed over everything.
>you're part of the government now
>do these illegal missions
thats it
>>
>>82689302
As an published doctor and lecturer in film studies who is currently shitposting on /co/ rather than working - I'd just like to say that BvS was a complete turd.

a really interesting turd, however
>>
>>82690507
I've never really been taken by the argument that simply porting a discourse which has been in one media to another is good enough to call it a day.

Because something hasn't been done in superhero films yet ignores the fact that the issues behind BvS have been done to death with superheroes. Adapting supposedly historic moments from comics and transposing them onto the screen does not automatically render them the same significance, that just means you're copying the response to an interesting series of questions.

>>82690593
Let's be fair, comic-book Civil War was at best surface engagement with those issues. So any film adaptation is likely not going to go any further.

>>82691838
The madness of having to deal with making this film would be really interesting to read.
>>
I don't get it, can't it just be shit because it was shit? Not some underlying reason as to why it poorly received and what it says about us and the characters and the disconnect and yadda yadda?

Is it possible people just didn't like it because it was a steaming piece of shit?
>>
>>82689302
For the same reason I don't care that Philosophy teachers liked the Matrix sequels, or that film makers like the plane scene in DKR. What they enjoy in a movie and what I enjoy in a movie are two very different things, and their over-focusing on one area that they consider more important than everything else means that they are more likely to find a movie "good" when it has too many failings in other, more obvious areas.
>>
>>82691864
>Because something hasn't been done in superhero films yet ignores the fact that the issues behind BvS have been done to death with superheroes.
The review is about a movie, not comics.
>>
>>82689302
>Why don't you?
Because I don't care. I'd rather was something more challenging to analyse, like The Holy Mountain.
>>
Academics also like modern "art" and similar degeneracy.
>>
>>82692044
Stop shitting up all of my contoversial threads and take off that stupid trip, faglord.
>>
>>82691899
But it wasn't shit.
>>
File: 1462958378974.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
1462958378974.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>82689302
>>
>>82690093
Theres some good stuff on there
>>
>>82691997
I'm saying that mirroring historical developments in another medium does not reproduce the results of those developments in another medium.

Superhero stories are neither made in a vacuum where the influence of previous existing comic book stories does not affect them. A key example being the impact of Watchmen as a comic book on the idea of the superhero and its film adaptation.
>>
>>82689302
I have never respected academics.
>>
File: 4aU1P.jpg (580 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
4aU1P.jpg
580 KB, 1920x1080
>>82692000
Top taste my man.
>>
>>82692176
I love this reaction image, neck needs some work though, but we're overusing it. Its effectiveness wears off unless the post responded to is particularly disastrous. This is basic memery 101 here.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.