[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SU Fighting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14
Does anyone else here think that implementing actual fighting styles into the fight scenes would make the fight scenes more interesting to some degree? Like, Garnet doing Muay Thai or kickboxing? Pearl could be an expert in all kinds of fighting styles, especially very graceful ones.

Also, if you've got nothing better to do, there's always "Who would win?" to talk about.

Opal vs. Jasper, Opal fucking curbstomps the cheeto puff.
>>
Sure do OP, the show would benefit from better choreographed action scenes in general. They should take a page from ATLA.

inb4 no one really cares about the topic of this thread and turns it into a cancer general, though.
>>
>>82687684
It worked for Avatar. The gems do seem to have a certain style while fighting (Pearl has a more elegant and light feet like style e.g.) But non of them seem to have a fighting style that truly resonates with a certain fighting art. I do think it's too late to introduce something like that now though
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCMNWAJiz5Y
Gem Sly Marbo when?
>>
>>82687684
I think it would be really cool to see a Gem who has a mid-to-long range weapon (like a firearm or a crossbow) but mainly relies on martial arts with enemies that are too close.
>>
>>82687850
>"Stop! We don't want to fight you!"
>Five seconds pass
>"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
>Throws Stevonnie through a building.
>>
>>82687863
Garnet can do that rocket glove move, and Pearl can shoot bolts of energy out of her spear
>>
>>82687822
I suppose. Slowly adding it into the mix might be helpful if they were to bother with it now, like having Garnet using her elbows and knees a bit more. They could still keep the fantastic elements in it (Amethyst and Jasper doing the Sonic thing, Garnet punching a boulder hard enough to make it slide twenty feet, etcetera). Just nudge the fight scenes in that particular direction bit by bit, and as >>82687814 says, just better choreography in general would help.

Next thing you know, we're seeing Pearl nail jasper in the face all White Crane Style and shit.

As mentioned, if we don't have much else to think of, there's always vs. setups to discuss.
>>
Fight scenes in SU have never really been an integral aspect of the show, its not an action cartoon and it will never be one so just accept that.
>>
>>82687684
I feel like Pearl's got a decent style with all her prancing about and varied weapon skill, but she should really use that staff shortening thing she did in Ocean Gem more often.
She seems way better with a sword, yet she always keeps her weapon as a spear despite showing she CAN shorten it to sword length.

Amethyst defiantly could use more varied fighting. She's got so many tools that she never seems to use. They've started letting her Sanic more often at least.
But I still REALLY want to see her use her shapeshifting in combat in more meaningful ways than just "turn into purple puma". Have her do some Mr. Fantastic style shit.

Garnet needs a bit more form too. She's really just punching mostly. But, like Amethyst, they're at least letting her use her electric powers more often now so maybe there'll be more hope for cool shit from her in the future.

No clue how Peridot's gonna possibly fight anything.
>>
>>82687963
She get upgraded limb enhancers and becomes in iron man of the team
>>
Anybody's got the gif of the storyboard of Pearl vs Amethyst that was better than the aired version?
>>
>>82687963
...I just imagined Amethyst turning into the helicopter again, and shooting the studs from her whip from her nose or something. I mean, it would be a good way to use her shapeshifting, and kinda hilarious to boot. But yeah, in all seriousness, seeing her do something like yank someone with the whip to meet a giant fist she slings right in their face would be cool.

Pearl honestly comes across as the kind of Gem who would have to master a lot more than just utilizing their weapon. She is, after all, a pearl, and she'd have to set herself to much higher standards in fighting to keep up with Gems who have more raw power than her. Compared to Garnet or Jasper, she'd be out of her league by a league if she wasn't as good as she is with a variety of techniques. She kind of reminds me of Robin, how he keeps up with the rest of the Teen Titans through sheer skill and determination.
>>
>>82687903
I know, but I mean a weapon that's purely long range combined with CQC.
>>
File: samuel deats.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
samuel deats.gif
2 MB, 500x281
I'm pretty sure AtLA had a martial arts instructor that helped them with choreography. Plus that show had very strong eastern cultural themes and bending is based entirely on the various martial arts.

Does no one remember Pearl's fight in Coach Steven? It seemed very rushed and poorly storyboarded. Fights will never be the main focus in SU, which is fine.
>>
>>82688130

>which is fine.

Your gif proves otherwise, I wouldn't care if fights had to be 2-3 minutes long as a result, put SOME quality action into the show.
>>
>>82688130
>Fights will never be the main focus in SU, which is fine.

True enough, I suppose, but a few of the more memorable scenes in the show were the fights. Garnet vs. Jasper, sadly, is going to be remembered more for Estelle's singing than the actual fight, but there's no denying that the fighting itself was kickass. Some character development was shown in that one too, like how Garnet was definitely outclassed there, but one anyway because of her mindset. The amount of joy she had from existing again gave her all the self-confidence she needed to be able to take Jasper on; even tanking a few hits from Jasper didn't diminish her spirit at all, which is a pretty serious thing, since she doesn't typically show a whole lot of enthusiasm for anything in the show except fucking.

Goddamn, that sultry walking when she was fusing with Pearl.
>>
>>82688202
>but one
>but WON

Dammit. I might be in need of some sleep.

>>82688176
I think that gif isn't even the product of one of the Crewniverse, just a relatively dedicated fan, isn't it?
>>
>>82688221
No, I meant if the show had fights of that quality I'd be cool with them being short and sparse.
>>
File: PvA.gif (2 MB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
PvA.gif
2 MB, 500x282
I feel like there has been a little bit of technique in a few fights
>>
>>82688243
I know that, I was meaning what I said, as in, even fans do better fight animations than the devs. Shows that it isn't all that uncommon of an opinion to think that they could be done a lot better.
>>
>>82688221
That gif was made by a professional who happened to be a fan.
>>
>>82687684
I'd love to see more fighting scenes with great choreography and attention to detail, but these fights would probably be saved for only big ones, or ones that involve fusions.
>>
>>82687684
>Does anyone else here think that implementing actual fighting styles into the fight scenes would make the fight scenes more interesting to some degree?
That sort of thing is always neat.

But for Steven Universe it's far from necessary. They've already given all the Gems distinctive fighting styles, just not any that are formal martial arts: Garnet is a straightforward puncher, Amethyst physically whips around, and Pearl moves like she's dancing.
>>
>>82687684
When you're over 5000 years old, you have no real excuse for just specializing in one fighting style. The gems all have a ridiculous variety of skills (from playing musical instruments to hotwiring cars), and fighting is probably no different. They'll just do whatever works best.
>>
>>82688633

I can already see people getting triggered by the fact that X character would be using Y style instead of Z
>>
File: 1280791460398.jpg (23 KB, 492x440) Image search: [Google]
1280791460398.jpg
23 KB, 492x440
>>82687850
>>
How come Peridot didn't know what music was, but Jasper did?
>>
>>82689003
Peridot's a nerd that only knows about computers.
>>
File: minoru suzuki 2.png (629 KB, 540x608) Image search: [Google]
minoru suzuki 2.png
629 KB, 540x608
>>82687684
The thing is, Steven Universe isn't an action oriented series. There's 1 or 2 short fight scenes every few episodes, so I don't think they'd waste time for choreography. Though, the idea of Garnet doing German Suplexes and Burning Hammers on gems does intrigue me.
>>
http://www.polygon.com/tv/2016/5/11/11604098/steven-universe-explained
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/05/5-reasons-adults-everywhere-should-be-watching-ste.html

What does /co/ think of articles like these? Got it right or wrong?
Or absolute cancer?
>>
File: 1446690879597.webm (3 MB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
1446690879597.webm
3 MB, 560x315
>>82687684

yes, yes it would.
>>
Here's the deal.

If this were an action show, it would've been canceled by now... Like every other action cartoon on TV had for the last 10 years.
>>
>>82691556
I agree.
Action is one thing, but you need a plot for it to mean something.
A physical fight in a narrative is just the externalization of character conflicts. Exciting action scenes are nice, but we don't need them to get the conflict. You can be invested in something without physical action, but what is action without anything to care about. That's just pointless.

Also, is one of you fucks going to host a live stream or something, or do I have to scrap up a recording from somewhere?
>>
>>82688202
>>
>>82691732
Symbionic Titan had a plot and action, still cancelled.
>>
>>82691235
What cartoon is that?
>>
>>82693273
Sym-Bionic Titan. It's godly. Watch it.
>>
>>82689033
Jasper's also much older than Peridot, and so, considering that she likely hasn't spent her entire existence either fixing stuff or sitting in front of a computer screen, she's likely had a much better time enjoying some of the finer things in life.
>>
File: y2YK3b9.png (271 KB, 886x1165) Image search: [Google]
y2YK3b9.png
271 KB, 886x1165
I found out why we don't see Opal fighting very much at all.

Failed drug tests.
>>
File: 23145451453.gif (2 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
23145451453.gif
2 MB, 300x168
>>82688933
Check out If the Emperor had a text to sppech device right now!
This is an order
>>
>>82687684

Jasper needs to be a Hammy-as-FUCK pro wrestler.
>>
The show needs to stop being drama and needs more action
I creamed myself over Jailbreak
>>
>>82698059
>Jasper, aka the Flaming Tiger
>The Stone Cold Steve Austin to the Purple Puma's Goldberg
>>
Peridot with limb enhancers better come back I don't give a fuk how she gets them back just have her fight again.
>>
File: pizza bed.jpg (120 KB, 640x483) Image search: [Google]
pizza bed.jpg
120 KB, 640x483
>>82687850
By the Emperor....
5 out of 5.
>>
>>82687850
>Gem Sly Marbo

You absolute heretic. No "Gem" Sly Marbo.

JUST Sly Marbo

>Homeworld invades Beach City
>Town surrenders
>Crystal Gems are held up in their temple, not knowing what to do
>Homeworld Gems start breaking down the doors, meanwhile all the others are just waiting around.
>"Ha this place world-conquering business is a cakewalk, isn't that right my fellow rubi-
>A disturbance is felt by all things, living and not
>A faint hum
>"What the heck is that noise"
>The hum grows louder
>The Homeworld Gem commander starts getting nervous, calls everyone to their battle stations
>One ruby speak up; "It sounds like 'AAAA"
>Another chimes in; "No, it sounds like "AARGH"
>The first one retorts; "Nu-uh, it totally sounds li-
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
>In an instant, a torrent of wind and an explosion sends dust flies everywhere
>As the dust settles, every home world gem looks to each other, all seems right
>Except for that first ruby
>There's an extremely muscular arm through her face
>That arm has a hand, holding a live grenade
>And that arm is attached to a very, very angry human
>"AAAAAA" is the last sound on the surveillance video Yellow Diamond was watching from above Earth's orbit
>A distinct feeling of dread filled her, she felt as though she was being watched
>Little did she know, the glow of a pair of eyes and a knife loomed behind her
>>
Can't wait until this turns into /sug/ in a half an hour.
>>
File: Peridot panicked.png (613 KB, 850x699) Image search: [Google]
Peridot panicked.png
613 KB, 850x699
>>82701943
>almost 1am here
>played Stellaris for like 5h
>have trouble focusing on reality
I don't think I'll make it.
Someone record it for me.
>>
>>82688130
>Fights will never be the main focus in SU, which is fine.

It never hurts to have higher aspirations.
>>
>>82687684
Not every show is Avatar senpai.
>>
>>82687684
What you're forgetting is that they DO have fighting styles.
But rather than based on fighting they're based on music.
Pearl's fighting is very balletic and flowy like ballroom dancing
Amethysts fighting is very rough and wild like krumping or club dancing
Garnet's fighting is very sporadic, controlled and deliberate like Waaacking.

So if you made them fight in actual fighting styles, it'd kinda be missing the point.
>>
>>82704988
Lol that's true
>>
>>82687985
She already has a mech that's more combat oriented than her limb enhancers ever were
>>
What happens:
The Cluster starts stirring, creating earthquakes and cracks in the earth.
The CGs win the Watermelon Island fight, Malachite unfuses, the gems capture Lapis, but Jasper falls into a crack and disappears inside the earth.
Steven and Peridot drill down to the Cluster, Steven passes out and ends up inside its mind, and he convinces the Cluster not to form, and to bubble itself instead.
All the shards bubble each other and a giant bubble forms around the entire Cluster.
>>
>>82705193
Yeah then how would fusion work? Anyone else see the new episode yet? I thought it was great glad they gave a full two episodes instead of just one that would have sucked.
>>
>>82705565
I really liked this full episode had it of just been half id of been pissed.
>>
oihh shit jasper fell rofl
>>
File: fastajaspa.png (238 KB, 568x442) Image search: [Google]
fastajaspa.png
238 KB, 568x442
>>82708418
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.