[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John Romita Jr's run on Uncanny and Amazing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (244 KB, 800x1197) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
244 KB, 800x1197
Anyone else really enjoy John Romita Jr's run on Uncanny X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man in the late 80's?

Found some copies in an box from my old house when I was a kid the other day. Really took me back.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 421x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 421x640
>>
File: JRJR xmen.jpg (500 KB, 1196x827) Image search: [Google]
JRJR xmen.jpg
500 KB, 1196x827
Yeah I love it, also his Iron Man stuff from a little before and his Daredevil run from the late 80's

I enjoy both the more classic restrained JRJR and when he really goes stylized in the 90's
>>
JRJR is an artist who just doesn't translate well into modern coloring. When there wasn't such an emphasis on coloring being used to make things look...3D isn't the right term but I can't think of the right term...JRJR was one of the best in the business imo.
>>
File: Daredevil-v1-256_018a.jpg (833 KB, 999x1451) Image search: [Google]
Daredevil-v1-256_018a.jpg
833 KB, 999x1451
>>
Also found some Walt Simonson Thors' and the graphic novel he did "The Star Slammers" and the original X-Men graphic novel "God Loves, Man Kills"

I would sort of freaking out...my Wife was clueless as to why...lol
>>
File: JRJR to the max.jpg (417 KB, 1280x944) Image search: [Google]
JRJR to the max.jpg
417 KB, 1280x944
I don't understand what people have against the 90's
>>
when did jrjr become lines on faces man?
>>
>>82681769
I guess after he left the JMS Spider-Man run
>>
>>82681461
He's also just got REALLY lazy the past five years or so. I remember really enjoying his art in Spider Man, then not loathing it entirely by WW Hulk, but then by his run on Avengers I just couldn't read anything with his art anymore. He just stopped fucking trying. Or hired a retarded child to replicate it. I couldn't tell you which.
>>
File: jrjr cable 2 (2).jpg (831 KB, 1088x1650) Image search: [Google]
jrjr cable 2 (2).jpg
831 KB, 1088x1650
I rank his Daredevil up there with Miller and Mazz.

>>82681708

I unironically love this shit. JrJr is a god
>>
>>82681461
I never thought about this (I had just assumed he started phoning it in after modern coloring became a thing), but it's true. His work relies on strong, yet simple lines, and characters feeling larger than life is a result of his broad strokes. Digital coloring really takes away from that, and just drags it down into simplicity.

He was becoming the new Dillon for a while, but I think in the last few years he stepped his game back up.
>>
File: w-26-02.jpg (1 MB, 2200x1687) Image search: [Google]
w-26-02.jpg
1 MB, 2200x1687
I was planning on storytiming that era of X-Men but that other anon is doing all of it right now and I don't want to trample.

I like some of his more modern stuff too, but yeah 80s / 90s JRJR is LIFE
>>
File: al-williamson-flash-gordon.jpg (384 KB, 1600x895) Image search: [Google]
al-williamson-flash-gordon.jpg
384 KB, 1600x895
>>82681395
>his Daredevil run from the late 80's

A lot of people put up JRjr's work on Daredevil as some of his best (I know I do) but it's important to note that during his time on Daredevil, he was being inked by Al Williamson, a master artist and contemporary of Frank Frazetta who, at the peak of his popularity in the 1950s and 1960s, was considered among the industry's best artists.

I think Williamson's solid line had a lot to do with the perception that JRjr was at his best during his time on Daredevil. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I think Williamson absolutely blows away JRjr as a draftsman—see pic-related.

I've always had a fondness for JRjr's style, but I've also been somewhat disappointed in him in the sense that he's had the great fortune to grow up around and be inked by some of the industry's best artists (Williamson, Alcala, Janson, etc.), but I can't really tell if he's learned anything substantial from those collaborations in terms of draftsmanship and rendering. I kept waiting for him to hit that "next level" but it just seemed like he never progressed as an artist past a certain point.
>>
>>82684774
Millar has an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. book with JRJR art?!
wtf
why didn't I know this
>>
>>82687828
It's from Wolverine. Millar and JRjr had a 12-issue run on the 2003 Wolverine series, issues #20–#31 (Dec 2004 to Oct 2005). The first six issues comprised the "Enemy of the State" storyline while the next six issues were the "Agent of SHIELD" storyline.
>>
>>82681170
Bump
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.