[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gotham
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 21
File: Gotham.jpg (483 KB, 1296x730) Image search: [Google]
Gotham.jpg
483 KB, 1296x730
Hey /co/; honest question: Is this worth it? The ammount of threads about how great and underrated it is have toppled the shitsux ones for a while already? It probably takes more than the "watch a bunch and decide for yourself" approach, so I'd rather ask.
>>
watch a bunch and decide for yourself
>>
>>82658669
Starts slow, it gets better in the first half of the season but is with season 2 that it really gets good in my opinion
>>
>>82658669

No capeshit is worth it.
>>
Also, I'm curious: How do they even manage to write this stuff without the general cliffhanger/twist/death-as-drama elements, since the ultimate fate of the biggest (I assume) characters is well known to begin with?

What about the core Batman element of "Batman villains are *created* by the existence of Batman" (that's the one I'm worried they're just ignoring completely)
>>
>>82658669
Here's the secret about live action superhero shows: they are all uniformly terrible. Gotham is no exception.
>>
>>82658720
>"Batman villains are *created* by the existence of Batman" (that's the one I'm worried they're just ignoring completely)

It becomes more that Gotham as a whole is crazy as fuck to begin with and so Batman and his villains are created by the city than by each other.

I say if you don't see the potential in the Balloonman episode, then it's not gonna be worth it for ya.
>>
>>82658720
Oh so this is a shill thread.
>>
>>82658720
>What about the core Batman element of "Batman villains are *created* by the existence of Batman" (that's the one I'm worried they're just ignoring completely)

that's a dumb element to begin with
>>
>>82658737
Sorry, bad phrasing; I'm curious about -whether- they manage to pull it off
>>
>>82658669
It's genuinely incredible. Most people watched two episodes and decided they hated it and have spent two years shitposting.

Of all the cape shows we have now, it's the first one to actually give a shit about its source material and add interesting ideas. The kid playing Bruce is the best we've ever had, and Penguin and Nygma are finally getting the respect they've always deserved. Plus their "Joker" is GOAT.

If you're all about canon, Gotham doesn't just slap names on people for references; they try to keep those characters tied with their comics origins really closely (and if they deviate too much or kill a character, they just make them a legacy villain.) what few things they've changed (like Penguin's mother being poor) always gets tied back to their official origins later (like when you meet Penguin's father,) showing that they respect the material and genuinely want to contribute to it rather than mining it for things to keep fans watching.

The show has tons of atmosphere and some of the best camerawork on TV. There's lots of little touches drawing from all over Batman media, too, like how it has BTAS's weird technology levels (Typewriters and cellphones in use at the same time.) It's a show with a ton of love in it.

Season One is slower up to the midseason break since they're setting up a bunch of stuff, and some people have posed the theory that the network mandated some police procedural episodes to ease viewers in. But the whole time they're building up to the second half and the second season, and once house of cards starts coming down it just doesn't stop.

The best part is, once it hits its stride, Gotham moves like a bullet train. Every episode tends to have like three or four major events that would take other shows a quarter season. But it still never feels rushed- it keeps things going long enough to keep you engaged, but never long enough for things to get boring.
>>
File: lil-gordon-show.jpg (46 KB, 345x629) Image search: [Google]
lil-gordon-show.jpg
46 KB, 345x629
>>82658669
Can't really unsee, can I
>>
>>82658850
kek
>>
File: image.jpg (129 KB, 455x696) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129 KB, 455x696
>>82658720
> Also, I'm curious: How do they even manage to write this stuff without the general cliffhanger/twist/death-as-drama elements, since the ultimate fate of the biggest (I assume) characters is well known to begin with?

Do you think Batman is going to die in any comic you read? How often is the protagonist of any show going to die?

>What about the core Batman element of "Batman villains are *created* by the existence of Batman" (that's the one I'm worried they're just ignoring completely)
This is a meme that has only existed in Batman for a very percentage of his existence, and makes no sense when you consider that Batman exists within the DC universe. The first time I remember this even being used was in TDKR, and it was the strawman liberal who was supposed to be wrong saying it. Even in that book, Batman's foes are his mirrors, not his creations.

Remember, Alan Scott also operated in Gotham City.
>>
>>82658728
Wrong.
>>82658717
Wrong.
>>82658737
Doesnt even make sense

I want /tv/ to go and stay gone.
>>
>>82658825
Stop trying to inflate a stupid lazy network procedural. The only thing this show gives a shit about is that you sit through the commercials.
>>
>>82658669
I want to marry Barbara!!!
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 679x864) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 679x864
>>82658902
>procedural
>Gotham

damn, I figured Disney could afford shills capable of basic research
>>
>>82658902
You can say that about every show in history you doofus.
Personally i love it. I feel like a kid again watching it. Best show on air right now.
>>
A bit of comedy for you:

Both Gotham and Daredevil are shot on location in New York, and yet somehow Daredevil consistently manages to look cheaper than Smallville or Buffy.

Literally how much money are they embezzling?
>>
>>82658895
>>82658936
>>82658942
It's an objectively terrible show. Defending a slapped together network show because it features comic book characters is a joke.
>>
>>82658902
Have you ever even watched one episode of this show? None of the decisions they made were procedural at all. This show could have easily been cancelled after the first season based on how different it is in tone and execution. They could have easily gone for a procedural Snyder / Nolan-esque version of the Batman mythos, or a serious crime drama, yet they went for a weird as fuck Burton meets Adam West approach. They took a huge risk NOT being procedural and it paid off for them.
>>
>>82659024
Ohh anon. You so funny when you grumpy.
>>
>>82658669
>half the thread is people giving you reasons its good
>the other half is shitposters is chimping out because they're afraid you'll watch a show they don't approve of

i think you have your answer, OP
>>
>>82659043
So the argument is that it's campy and weird so it doesn't have to be good?
>>
>>82659043
>Have you ever even watched one episode of this show?
You know he hasn't, anon.

>None of the decisions they made were procedural at all.
I guess you could kind of argue that it is for the first few episodes? There's still a heavy continuity but the actual things the episodes are built on are individual crimes. The crimes all still feed into the overarching plot, though, but until you've seen the rest of the season you miss out on that.

>They could have easily gone for a procedural Snyder / Nolan-esque version of the Batman mythos, or a serious crime drama

Reminder that to this day some insane people still whinge about how this show isn't "Gotham Central meets The Wire."
>>
>>82659104
Oh, you're THAT shitposter.
>>
>>82659152
Gotham Shitposter Bingo
>Batman is supposed to create his villains!
>Bruce should be in Asia right now!
>They should have made Gotham Central!
>It's "campy" so it's not "good!"
>Free space: NOT MUH BATMAN

That's...actually about it. Those are the same complaints that get thrown out in every single Gotham thread
>>
I've also been kind of interested in watching it lately. I like both campy and Burton + Batman villains, but I haven't checked it out yet because people were shitting on the show when it first came out.
>>
>>82658825
>>82658895
>>82659043
>>82659152
>>82659213

What distinguishes Gotham from any other rote, terrible superhero show? What separates it from any other lazy network "action" show? Is it helping to elevate the perception of superheroes or just the umpteenth example that people can point to when they say they are juvenile and pointless? How is the show justified in diluting the Bat-mythos even further for non comic book readers? Are you one of the people who are constantly surprised when these shows "go to shit"?
>>
File: download.jpg (149 KB, 650x350) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
149 KB, 650x350
>upper brass member ousted on sexual harassment charges

>Vertigo underoing "alterations".

>BvS a so-so movie, likely leading to other so-so movies in the same tone

>DC animated releases showing a downward spiral of quality decline, hinging all of its hope The Killing Joke

>writing getting much weaker on every DC show but Gotham and IZombie

>comics doing Rebirth in yet another attempt to try and reinvigorate the market

>WB continues to treat the comics and TV division like a red-headed stepchild because it cares more about the movies

What the hell is going on? It constantly feels like things keep bursting into flames for like the past 6 months.
>>
>>82659217
It's honest to god the best Batman adaptation since TAS. People just shitposted because they have no patience.

You should really watch it from the beginning, though. It's a continuity heavy show, and single lines in Season 1 set up whole plotlines later. Plus the show's all about seeing people develop, and Season 1 does that best. By S2 everybody's completely descended into madness and they're just wallowing in it.

I kind of miss the slow burn of Season 1. It was an uncomfortable kind of comfy.
>>
File: 1404536865917.jpg (40 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
1404536865917.jpg
40 KB, 535x577
>>82658669

You cant even watch a bunch and decide yourself.

I dropped it after watching the first 5 episodes because it seemed meh at best. I only had time to watch Arrow & Flash.

Boy do I regret that now

I fucking didnt give AoS a chance too because forst season for that too was shit, whereas Arrow & Flash first seasons were great which gave me enough reason to invest in them

Now I feel like a wife stuck in a loveless marriage & regret on all the missed oppurtunities. It feels to late to gruel through initial seasons of Gotham & AoS to get to the good shit
>>
>>82658669

Personally, I love it.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 204x153) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 204x153
>>82659276
>its a disney shill having a mental breakdown episode
>>
>>82659349
Nope, all comic book shows suck. Marvel's are no exception. A shill would post some innocuous and borderline stupid question like "is it worth it to watch this show?" or "is this negative criticism I keep seeing really true" in order to kickstart the maximum amount of discussion so that it's getting talked about.
>>
>>82659344
Your decision was understandable, anon. Nobody could have predicted that a meh-show like Gotham, with quality alterating from complete-and-utter-shit to good, but never getting really great, would become GOAT in the second season. I still don't understand how this is possible.
>>
>>82659281
Some of those are the result of the same things, and some of them aren't related at all.

The TV shows have nothing to do with DC, just as Warner Brothers' movies are out of DC's hands. The sexual harassment guy is someone people have wanted gone for years, and Vertigo's restructuring is due to DC many of the things that used to be Vertigo only under their main umbrella.

Rebirth is just DC doing another continuity shifting Crisis. Marvel does the same shit, but they don't call attention to it.

What's happening is that people are paying a ton of attention to DC because BvS was a very publicized upset ("Batman AND Superman beaten? It's over! Time to trash them, losers!") and sites are looking to capitalize on that with clickbait.
>>
>>82659344
nigger Gotham is two seasons now. You can watch two seasons.
>>
>>82659437
You're kidding yourself if you think DC isn't in fucking shambles right now.
>>
File: Despair but also Wonderful.png (19 KB, 178x254) Image search: [Google]
Despair but also Wonderful.png
19 KB, 178x254
I'm watching the series trailer right now and it seems like every other Grim and Gritty tv show that their pushing nowadays. It seems like everyone's trying to be the Soprano's.

It's probably a good show, but I don't think it's my cup of tea.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 320x320
>>82659485

oh child
>>
>>82659485
okay marvelcuck whatever you say
>>
File: Law & Order; Gotham City.jpg (89 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
Law & Order; Gotham City.jpg
89 KB, 498x500
I watched the whole first season, I could very well have dropped it on any episode, even the first one, but I forced myself to watch the whole of it. It was bad, pretty bad. It successfully combines the worst elements of police procedural shows with neutered-for-kids capeshit. I did not bother with season 2.

Avoid it.
>>
>>82659500
Uh, are you talking about Daredevil?

That is literally not what Gotham is at all.

Somebody post the bazooka webm
>>
>>82659541

so...you didn't watch it at all?
>>
>>82659560
I watched this video to clarify
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI
>>
>>82659344
So you regret it because you tried watching and made an opinionated decision and now people on the internet are telling you you were wrong? Don't you think comic book shows varying wildly in quality is a sign that they aren't ever really meant to be that good in the first place and no one gives a shit because they will sell?
>>
>>82659515
>>82659518
I don't give two shits about Marvel and have reached my limit with their products they try to call movies but I did once care about DC and they are in arguably the worst shape they've ever been creatively.
>>
I can't stand half the characters in this show, but I keep going for the other half that I love. Penguin, Falcone, Maroni, Bullock and Alfred are GOAT. Haven't started on S2 yet, though.

rip Maroni
>>
>>82659596
>Dcyou bad
>Rbirth bad even though it isn't even out yet
>>
>>82659614
>Losing their once unimpeachable and nearly perfect run in animated television and original movies
>Favoring marketing and gimmicks over creative direction and the richest history and legacy in comics
>Killing their heroes' perception in the medium that reaches the widest audience

Yeah, it's bad
>>
>>82659575
That's like two minutes of the first episode

Season 1 has a balloon based serial killer, a Waynetech conspiracy to give people Boneitis, a guy getting sewn together from other guys, and a buttload of other stuff.

Grim and gritty it is not. It's dark, but Burton dark. Like a comic book.
>>
>>82659399
>Nope, all comic book shows suck

So the problem is that you simply don't like the genre in general? Why do you post your opinion in these threads at all then?
>>
>>82659654
DC is not in charge of their movies. It's also not DC's fault that action cartoons died.

Also
>the richest history and legacy in comics
>yet complains about rebirth

fuck off disneyfag
>>
>>82659596
So I take it you don't read comics at all, right?
>>
>>82659578
>Don't you think comic book shows varying wildly in quality is a sign that they aren't ever really meant to be that good in the first place and no one gives a shit because they will sell?
>Don't you think shows varying wildly in quality is a sign that they aren't ever really meant to be that good in the first place and no one gives a shit because they will sell?

are you fucking retarded or do you just not read your own nonsensical ramblings
>>
>>82659688
No see I do. That's the problem.
>>
>>82659672
This shill thread started when someone "figured it was a good idea" to ask the internet whether or not it was a good idea to watch a shitty comic book show. It's not.
>>
>>82659672
>Why do you post your opinion in these threads at all then?
My guess is that some people just get so butthurt that others like things they don't that they feel the need to waste their life trying to convince the world their opinion is the only right one.
>>
>>82659712
I mean, you obviously don't if you think DC's comics are bad, to say nothing of "the worst shape they've ever been creatively."
>>
>>82659678
I hate Disney and their vacuous production line of superhero movies. That doesn't change the fact that DC fucking sucks right now. The fact that you think I should be excited about yet another reboot says to me that your opinion probably isn't your own.
>>
>>82659744
But it is. The only one who thinks it isn't is you, and you're obviously mentally ill.

And not even in a fun way, either.
>>
>>82659764
When did I say DC's comics were bad? They have almost a century of stories and characters that are amazing. It doesn't change the fact that their line is terrible now and has been that way for some years.
>>
>>82659797
No mental illness would be automatically equating opinions that don't agree with yours as mental illness. And thinking defending a shitty Fox show is a worthwhile endeavor because it has some comic book characters in it.
>>
>>82659765
>The fact that you think I should be excited about yet another reboot says to me that your opinion probably isn't your own.

>you don't share my opinion so obviously it's not really your true opinion

No the anon you're talking to but what does it matter if someone likes or is interest in something you're not interested in? Why do you feel the need to prove to strangers that your opinion is some sort of truth instead of just an opinion?
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 480x360
>>82659765
>yet another reboot
>the DC reboot maymay

And that's how I know you don't read comics.
>>
>>82659836
*Not
>>
>>82659846
Look spout DC's PR rhetoric at me all you want, for all intents and purposes it's another fucking reboot designed to artificially boost sales with costume changes and renumbering while still somehow failing to put effort into fostering creativity and talent.
>>
File: image.jpg (262 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
262 KB, 1366x768
Contributions verified.

$0.50 has been deposited Into your account.
>>
>>82658669
It is the best live action cape show currently, and I'm counting Daredevil in that regard.
>>
>>82659836
I think that the company wars speak combined with the strong defending of the objectively shitty creative decision at DC leans towards that person being a shill and not just stupid.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 685x567
>>82658717
>>82658728
>>82658902
>>82659024
>>82659104
>>82659276
>shitposter spends whole thread frothing at the mouth over watching the show

>>82659281
>out of nowhere, a "concerned DC fan" starts crying about how DC is doomed and horrible
>>
>>82659987
>An advertisement for Gotham gets derailed so the fallback company wars button gets repeatedly pushed
>>
>>82659941
>get called a marvel shill
>panic
>start trying to call everyone with anything positive to say about DC a shill

I think this guy is officially broken
>>
>>82659657
Well summer's coming. I'm sure I can fit some time into my backlog clearing.
>>
>>82660031
Fuck Marvel, I don't give a shit about them and for all I know they rape babies. That doesn't change the fact that DC sucks right now.
>>
>>82659987

I think some anons are still bitter that they didn't get /cape/ to get rid of cape-related tv-movies and series.
>>
File: image.jpg (236 KB, 674x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
236 KB, 674x1024
>>82660087
But that's objectively false.

>>82660099
You're probably right. Though I don't know why /tv/ would shitpost so heavily on /co/, and we never had problems with the toonfags in the past
>>
>>82660087
You haven't explained your position beyond repeating the word "reboot" over and over, which you've been told is false.

You have to see why we assume you're a shitposting Disney employee. It'a a lot more believable than an actual person being as obstinate in their ignorance as you seem to be.
>>
>>82660182
One above mediocre book that's getting elevated to GOAT standards because of how dismal everything else is is a perfect example of the terrible state of DC.
>>
>>82660099
>/cape/
>moving all the capeshit, except the comics they originated from

That's crap. If cape happened I'd want all cape related discussion moved since that'd be the board topic.

And then this place would be empty.
>>
>>82660232
lol ok kid
>>
>>82660229
No you see it's not false you fucking moron. It's a marketing gimmick. It's artificially inflating sales by preying on the collector's market. It's admitting they have been making mistakes but not actually changing anything. It's the millionth example that creativity is not a priority at DC. It's a reboot. Fuck Disney, Fuck Marvel, Fuck DC, Fuck anyone who participates in company wars for real and for profit, and Fuck you.
>>
File: 1418850575674.jpg (18 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1418850575674.jpg
18 KB, 180x200
>>82660182
>Though I don't know why /tv/ would shitpost so heavily on /co/

because they can't have cape-threads on /tv/, even if there is one, there are either not enough people to discuss it or its filled with shitposting/memes, Evan-posting and Kino-posting being the latest ones. /co/ is the only other board who kinda does care enough to keep a discussion going. People on /tv/ may not think much about comics and anything related to it but they still want to discuss the movies/series somewhere and also tell about what they liked without being called a pleb.

The biggest problem is that they bring all the shit with them, all the memes and retarded shit like RT scores which /co/ never cared about much before.
>>
>>82660296
I just want the movies forced back to /tv/ or locked into MCU and DCEU generals respectively so I can filter them.
until they get purged from the site for being full of circeljerking and offboard discussion
>>
>>82660296
I'd be for it if it was superhero comics and media too, since the mods have a conniption whenever people talk about superhero games/shows.

My problem is where do we draw the line? Only DC and Marvel stuff, or do we include Indies?
Do things like Gargoyles count, since it's tied to 90s comic books themes so heavily? Does Teen Titans Go count, even though it has more in common with Powerpuff Girls? Can /co/ no longer talk about the influence on western animation the X-Men cartoon and BTAS had post-/cape/?

Plus indiefans have and will fight against any kind of superhero board, since they're afraid that if capes were removed there would be more Steven Universe threads, and then even fewer people would make indie threads (there was a whole /qa/ thread about this.)
>>
>>82660331
fuck off disneyfag

>>82660232
>disney employees forbidden from acknowledging reality, even to maintain their "cover"
>>
>>82660447
I hope Mickey Mouse and Captain America skullfuck your eye sockets until you die.
>>
>>82660331
So did you forget that you were pretending to be a DC fan at the beginning of this little tantrum?

>>82660364
But then they come here and immediately start shitting up every thread related to those topics

>>82660372
I don't think that's the right solution. That would mean you could never discuss the Batman movies or Donner's Superman, and things like how they relate to or influenced the characters. I agree the MCU posting is out of control, but banning it from /co/ is not a solution. Especially since Marvel is now basically the MCU expanded universe. There's even a /qa/ thread complaining about them.

I'd agree that a general for releases and reviews or something would be nice, but /co/'s mods HATE the idea of generals since it's "not muh board culture"
>>
>>82660595
I like the stories that the DC universe has told in the past and the characters that bring them to life. I have been reading them pretty much my whole life. This does not mean I cannot criticize them. It does not preclude me from hating their current output. If anything it makes me more qualified. You stupid fuckers seem to think that you need to pledge undying loyalty to a corporation if you have once enjoyed their output. But then again you're Gotham fans so it's not that surprising.
>>
>>82660595
>Batman movies or Donner's Superman
No one is talking about this stuff anyway. And if it was really wanted to be discussed, then you bring up a thread about the character and the movies' characterization could be included, just not the focus.
As for board culture, the mods should realize how much of this board has turned into movie talk and isn't concerned with the actual comics.
>>
>>82660706
Calm down, Mouseketeer. I'm sure your boss won't fire you because you got caught once.

Go post some laughing chris evanses. Youse should help get your numbers up
>>
>>82660804
I hope you get violently fisted by Mickey so hard that you throw up one of his oversized gloves and then Tinkerbell flies you up to the top of the Disney castle and impales your loose asshole with it and your dying breaths are spent perched listening to the saccharine opening music as the logo blazes across the sky.
>>
>>82658850
I AM DETECTIVE GORDON AND I AM THE SMALLEST MAN ALIVE
>>
>>82660992
How much are you getting paid?
>>
>>82659578
>So you regret it because you tried watching and made an opinionated decision and now people on the internet are telling you you were wrong?

Gotham got better in the second season I hear. I have to brave through over so many episodes more to get to the good stuff

With AoS literally dozens and the payoff with winter soldier already slipped away

How did it go so wrong
>>
>>82659475

I have to watch the shitty first season to get the second season
>>
>>82658669

Is your time really that important that you can't sit down for an hour or two and decide for yourself whether or not you enjoy the show? Jesus Christ anon just watch an episode or two.
>>
>>82660364

and this >>82660161 is exactly what I was talking about.
>>
>>82658669
It's... different. I'm not sure if I'd say it's good or if it's just bad in a way that appeals to me. The plots are contrived, the actors are hit-and-miss with some great ones and some laughably bad ones and the tone is all over the place.

I really enjoy it because it's certainly different from everything else that's on TV. You should probably think of it as a more violent version of Tim Burtons Batman movies. Kinda gothic but at the same time kinda silly and cartoony.

It's legitimately my favoutrite version of the Batman mythos.
>>
>>82663828
Yeah, I noticed last night that the hate brigade were getting themselves riled up over Suicide Squad.

>>82663779
First season isn't shitty at all. All the reasons people are getting their minds blown now are set up in Season 1.
>>
>>82658669
I like it , then again i'm not a fan of Batman
>>
File: Superman pure.jpg (274 KB, 738x857) Image search: [Google]
Superman pure.jpg
274 KB, 738x857
>>82658669
The best way to describe it, is it is exactly what Joel Shumacher tried, and failed to do with Batman forever and Batman and Robin. i.e, a mereging of the sublime camp of the 60's show and the broody gothic of the Tim Burton films

The pilot is quite frankly, abysmal. I can absolutely see how and why it was the way it was, i.e. the studio wanted to cram as many comic villains into it as possible because they thought it might generate hype, but it's still shockingly bad.

It picks up though with the Balloon man episode, where you first get the taste of how campy it is, and then the boneitis guy.

Season one starts off poor, but then really picks up. Alfred is great, Bruce is alright, fantastic in season 2, Bullock is great, Penguin is GOAT, Riddler is actually really really fucking good, even if they are more than a tad on the nose with who he will become from time to time.

Basically, you have to treat it as an elseworlds tale, because that's what it is.

People who complain about "muh continuity" are complete fucking morons anyway because writers pick and choose things from the past they want and ignore others. The batman of just before the new 52 reeboot was completely different to the one being written from 1994 in style to the point where you could argue that the comics of the 90's only had a tangental link to it. Which is exactly what the comics are to Gotham.

In terms of the early episodes, I reccomend sticking with it. My girlfreind fucking hated it at the begining and now she loves it, there's like a crest of mediocrity you have to break above to get to the decent stuff unfortunately

I thoroughly recommend it anon, but if you don't like it, that's fine, just don't let 4chan dictate your opinion on anything, form it for yourself

I hope you enjoy it mate
>>
>>82666940
Yeah, the Pilot is the worst episode. It makes sense later when you realize all the characters introduced in episode 1 are the entire cast for the season and they're just being established, but if you don't know that going in it can make you think the rest of the show is just an hour a week of namedrops.

But yeah, Balloonman is where they really start establishing that Gotham is a town where things work differently
>>
File: Tyler the creator.png (245 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
Tyler the creator.png
245 KB, 500x381
>>82667144
I think that really gives them too much credit. They could have introduced characters at a later date quite easily.

I can absolutely guarantee you that someone at the studio told them to fill it with villains thinking that people would absolutely hype the fuck out that all these characters were being adapted. Because that's the promise the pilot makes. That we'll see all of these characters.

I an abso-fucking-lutely guarantee you that there was a fear that people would hear its a prequel, assume no villains they've come to know and love will turn up and therefore said people wouldn't watch it.

Ivy being an example of someone who I don't think was in the original script, but some suit said "Why don't we just make the blokes kid Poison Ivy?" and the showrunners, who just wanted their show to be made capitulated.

The pilot reeks of meddling from higher-ups

Fucking stinks of it.
>>
>>82667423
I mean, yeah, I can see that, but every character in the pilot is a major cast member in the rest of the season. Ivy's the only one they haven't delved into much so far, but they've teased things (her whole "No more Doctors" line)

Now, the first few episodes being Villain-of-the -week episodes os what reeks of meddling for me.
>>
>>82658754
This
Its the stupidest shit ever thought up and is only liked by shotty joker fans who want batman to be the anti joker
>>
>>82658720
What about the core element of Superman landing in a field in Kansas? Surely if they subverted that and made him land in the Soviet Union, it'd never make a good story?

Not that I'm saying the subversion is as drastic here, but I've never understood why people feel that Batman came first is SO vital to the mythos that its inclusion is on par with the Waynes death
>>
>>82667570
I used to parrot it too until I actually thought about it.

Of all Batman's villains, how many does he have a hand in creating? Like, one or two? All his major villains exist without him. Batman creating his villains only makes sense if you discount every other piece of DC continuity.

Plus Gotham was founded on where Barbatos is, so the spiritual manifestation of Gotham's evil existed before Batman.
>>
The best thing about the show is the pacing. It's moving so damn fast and yet it never feels like they're rushing things. Every single episode has content that would get stretched to fill most of a season in other shows.
This single 3 minute scene has more payoff than anything arrow has had this whole season, and this isn't even the finale.
https://youtu.be/vNqNYuIhS0c
>>
>>82658717
I'm glad you feel that way. I knew someone like you growing up that always made fun of my love for capeshit. I imagine him in you (figuratively and literally) and being so annoyed by how much capeshit there is. Now I get to live the dream!
>>
>>82667778
I don't think there's anything wrong with it as an idea, I just hate people who treat it as though its the most important thing about the character
>>
>>82667910
This is horrible and you should feel horrible for defending it.
>>
File: No fun.png (231 KB, 694x642) Image search: [Google]
No fun.png
231 KB, 694x642
>>82668089
>Implying comics aren't as campy and over the top
>>
>>82668089
You're right.

He should have included the bit where Alfred sword fights with R'as, I mean, Azrael.
>>
>>82660331
Artificially inflating sales
That doesnt make sense you realize that right
>>
>>82668157
There's a big difference between camp and schlock. James Gordon shooting the shit out of a dude who has no reason to be called Azrael because he's trying to kill a ten year old Batman who uses tricks like putting his shoes around corners and then having the Penguin show up at Wayne Manor and threaten to shove his umbrella up his ass and then have his goon blow him up is just ridiculously inconsistent schlock that is covered up by pretending it's camp by having a shitty over the top soundtrack.
>>
>>82668089
This
Gotham is fucking shit meant for little kids and pales in comparison to more grounded, realistic, and better thought out shows like flash or AoS.
>>
I always tell people that this show is the spiritual prequel to Burton's Batfilms. It's a show that doesn't take itself too seriously but has some of the most violent scenes I've seen on television. The set pieces is pretty good too and I'm a little surprised that it hasn't gotten awards for the sets and costumes.
>>
>>82668304
See, I found it hilariously out of left field. As did many many other people who watched it.

I'm sure there are people who agree with you

Pic related anon
>>
>>82668694
If you enjoy it, fine. You're not actively contributing to television and movies being dominated by lowest common denominator comic adaptations I guess. But don't call it the best show on television or the best adaptation of the Bat-mythos. It's probably lower than even West's and Schumacher's Batmans in that regard.
>>
>>82658669
Yes, best unintentional comedy of the year imo. You can tell the cast members are having fun, and you should let yourself too. The only naysayers are either people who've only watched the (admittedly shakey) pilot or autistic canon purists. If you just accept it as its own continuity and embrace the camp you'll love it I promise.

Also best portrayal of Nygma, Penguin (tied with DeVito), Zsasz and Falcone ever.

Also I want to stick my uncut, slightly below-average cock so far up CamCam's tight, non-lubed cornhole that they'll need a team of archaeologists to dig me out
>>
File: What a load of horse shit.jpg (38 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
What a load of horse shit.jpg
38 KB, 500x352
>>82668868
>Lower that West
60's Batman is great anon, a product of it's time, but great
>Worse than Schumacher
Nah. like >>82666940 said, Gotham achieves what Schumacher tried to do
>>
>>82668868
>he thinks adam west batman is bad

Confirmed for not reading comics
>>
>>82668304
So let's discard this dumbass post except for this little gem

>a dude who has no reason to be called Azrael

You do realize Azrael was a legacy character, right? And that Galavan was part of the Order of St.Dumas?

>>82668331
kek
>>
>>82668868
>But don't call it the best show on television or the best adaptation of the Bat-mythos.
It's both.
>probably lower than even West's
but Adam West's was a spot-on adaptation of the comics at the time
>>
File: 1393266242553.png (107 KB, 286x306) Image search: [Google]
1393266242553.png
107 KB, 286x306
>gotham, batman beyond, BvS, BtAS, JL, Batman Trilogy,
>mfw we got to see every part of batmans life and movies/series/cartoons
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.