[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Misunderstood genius or overrated hack?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (203 KB, 1638x920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
203 KB, 1638x920
Misunderstood genius or overrated hack?
>>
Turning the Avengers into the Justice League is genius
>>
>>82615976
He was great in the early 2000s, I haven't tead any of his stuff after Daredevil, /co/ hates him so he might be good, but then again he did turn Iceman gay for no reason apparently
>>
>>82615976
his storys are ok, but he shouldn't be allowed to write dialogues
>>
>>82615976
Misundertood hack
>>
File: a bit of both.gif (2 MB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
a bit of both.gif
2 MB, 500x200
>>82615976
>>
>>82617519
Overrated genius.
>>
Some of his stuff is good, but he's inconsistent and shows serious degradation when under higher workloads.

He needs to be on fewer books so he can focus.
>>
He was the catalyst for a profound shift in how mainstream comic books were structured and therefore his influence can't be understated. He ushered in an era where fringe comic book creators with non-house styles and backgrounds got to redefine long running in ways that essentially provided the basis for the billion dollar entity Marvel/Disney has become.

The extent to which he been surpassed by both his contemporaries and those who came after both in mainstream comics and creator owned property development is a harsher criticism of him than I could ever type and he must know it to be so.
>>
>>82617519
>>82617659
this
>>
Those are the only two options, right? This is the internet, so everything is either perfectly brilliant or worse than Hitler.
>>
>>82615976
He really wishes he was a novelist.
>>
>>82615976
He's one of only two people who could made the Guardians sell.
>>
>>82618194
James & Gunn aren't a duo, they're one person.
>>
>>82618194
Yeah like he made Moon Knight sell?

No anon, the news that there was going to be a GotG movie plus the actual GotG movie is what made the comic sell.

I bet if he had GotG post Annihilation Conquest he would have burned it to the ground pretty quickly.
>>
>>82618194
Humphries' Star-Lord sold well until people realized how shit his comic was.

Bendis on a popular or hyped property with Marvel's full support behind him is what sells.
>>
>>82615976
He was good but once he started his Avengers run in the Heroic Age and AvX happened his talent was obviously starting to run down.

But it was the Age of Ultron event that sold me to Bendis' writing becoming completely lazy shit and GotG just fucking turned me off from him.

He doesn’t fucking bother to plot his shit anymore, his stuff is all over the place and he relies in funny and shocking moments between characters and artificial drama like Peter Quill telling Gamora she's his best friend and Gamora crying because she is too powerful because of the Black Vortex and she's dangerous to her friends, holy shit no.
>>
>>82617626
Holy fuck, Gamora is so fucking ugly, I'm glad we're getting Mantis.
>>
>>82621335
Wait until you see pics of Mantis first for all you know James Gunn might turn her into an insect looking freak.
>>
>>82621589
Jokes on you! Monster girls are my fetish.
>>
>>82615976
A genius who became a hack.
>>
>>82619739
>>82619675
Okay then explain to me how every single other GotG book, including the ones written by Dan Abnett, failed miserably, and were cancelled. After all popular hyped property best everything right?
>>
>>82617659
That title belongs to Morrison.
>>
>>82615976
He himself is a genius. Not in a writing way, in a business way. He took his one strength (street-level character-focused stories) and used it to take over the entire Marvel Universe. and then he writes shitty stories designed to upset people so that it'll sell well. He's conned his audience and his bosses and there's no way to ever change it. Genius.

It's like if in a few years Lobdell made his way to writing Justice League and all of the DC events from now on.
>>
>>82617489

The guy ALWAYS finish them terribly.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.