[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does TV animation feel so boring right now? Everything is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10
File: 78658.jpg (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
78658.jpg
18 KB, 400x300
Why does TV animation feel so boring right now? Everything is either on fucking hiatus, cancelled, or from the school of Adventure Time/Regular Show. Even most of the pilots we've been getting are really boring or "we've seen this before".

Anyone else feel the same way? I know there are some people who think TV for cartoons is at its best it's ever been, why do you feel that way?
>>
Cartoons are essentially dead at this point. The corpse is being fucked by SJW's as well.
>>
>>82601310
Never seen that cartoon before. Anyone fill me in whats it called?
>>
>>82601607
Ginga Densetsu Weed. It's a shittily animated anime. Read the manga instead
>>
Maybe your interests are just changing and cartoons can't hold your interest anymore? Happened to me and videogames.
>>
>>82601310
I think television is starting to die as people move on to the internet for entertainment. It's getting harder for networks to make money off of cartoons, so they refuse to take any chances. They feel they have to either cater to the lowest common denominator with the safest garbage possible, or if they're lucky enough to get a hit with something even slightly more creative they have to milk it for all its worth for years. Also they're just making less content.

Aside from that I feel like I'm just getting older and pickier about what I watch. Looking back at all of the cartoons I used to watch and love, not many of them were really all that great. Maybe still better than we have going on right now, though, but I know I used to be easier to please. That's just me- I dunno if that applies to a lot of other people around here, though.
>>
>>82601836
I know I still love animation because feature film has been kicking ass lately. Lego Movie, Croods, Zootopia, Inside Out, Ernest and Creatine. Feature film for animation has never been better. And CG has gotten gorgeous plus there's still Klaus to look forward to. And the majority of student shorts I see are some of the best ever thanks to digital advancements and TVPaint. It just feels like TV which is in a slump.
>>
>>82601836
>>82601915
>>82602146
How do TV cartoons compare to Streaming Service cartoons?
>>
File: 1408232973711.jpg (24 KB, 492x440) Image search: [Google]
1408232973711.jpg
24 KB, 492x440
>>82601310
Why does that dog have tits?
>>
File: QyZ255D.jpg (148 KB, 518x579) Image search: [Google]
QyZ255D.jpg
148 KB, 518x579
>>82601607
>>82601724
>inb4
>>
File: 1442332028660.jpg (23 KB, 396x508) Image search: [Google]
1442332028660.jpg
23 KB, 396x508
>Venture Brothers has 6 seasons
>it came out in fucking 2003
>13 years
>6 seasons
>>
>>82601310
>Everything is either on fucking hiatus, cancelled, or from the school of Adventure Time/Regular Show

You could replace this with "school of PPG/Dexter's Lab" back in the days.

What an asinine complaint.
>>
>>82604548
>You can't complain about issues now-a-days because the same issues existed back then, too!

That's not how it fucking works. Just because CN shows were mostly angular back then, too, doesn't excuse pilots like Bottom's Butte and Meet the Royals basically being carbon copies of Regular Show down to the voice acting.
>>
>>82604548

Aren't you a snooty little fuck. At at least those shows had a semblance of effort. Shut the fuck up.
>>
I think I'm just getting older, because I fell like I'm out growing them as well. I still want my own cartoon someday, somehow. But it feels like the new climate for animation is anti-confrontation. I can only hope that will change.
>>
>>82604548
>Ms. Powerpuff Girls
>Mr. Dexter's Lab

(Students)
>Cow and Chicken
>Billy & Mandy
>Ed Edd n Eddy
>Johnny Bravo
>Courage the Cowardly Dog
>Kids Next Door

I'm sorry, but how do you possibly see those connections? The only one similar is Johnny Bravo to Dexter's Lab, but Johnny Bravo's pilot was released on What a Cartoon at the same time as Dexter's Lab.
>>
>>82604747
>But it feels like the new climate for animation is anti-confrontation.
Holy shit, this. It's getting kind of tiresome. It's like, we're stuck in two tiers right now. Either the protagonist is a total optimistic, happy-go-lucky-loves-life type of character or they're the biggest asshole imaginable.

>Steven (Good)
>Wander (Good)
>Harvey Beaks (Good
>Star Vs (Good, just with war training)
>Clarence (Good)
>Gumball (Asshole)
>Teen Titans (Asshole)
>Rigby & Mordecai (Devolving into assholes)
>Finn (Slowly being pushed out of his own show

Why is this?
>>
>>82602177
All they literally have to do is git gud
>>
>>82601310
Try coming up with something that'll be both original and keep the attention of the children that watch the show and you'll be in the same shoes as the people that have to make these shows in the first place
>>
>>82602177
Accessibility. Literally the only factor. Most of the original cartoons on Netflix, Amazong, Hulu, etc are pure trash. But they are available at any time and their measurement of popularity for the networks isn't based on an outdated system like Nielsen ratings or dependent on merchandise to stay afloat, so they can be shittier quality and still more successful.
>>
>>82604889

Lincoln from The Loud House could be an asshole but in the end he always tries to make up for it. We need more of that. People who act like cunts or hard asses but in the end you know they still care for you and got your back. Most people in the TV animation business are usually sheltered rich hipsters who went to an art school that is only good for connections and nothing else. The rest who didn't either rode off of their success for just blatantly copies their "creativity". It's still the only reason I still stick to anime. At at least offers something different from cartoons.
>>
>>82604889
Finn is bouncing back (also bouncing back from depression, terrible things keep happening to him though), the rest is accurate.
>>
File: 1438464385173.jpg (77 KB, 489x450) Image search: [Google]
1438464385173.jpg
77 KB, 489x450
>>82604943
>original
Don't make me slap you, anon.
>>
>>82604964
To be The Loud House is pretty boring. It looks nice though.
>>
>>82604944

This. If someone really wanted to push a quality cartoon without huge executive meddling and Calarts, Netflix is the way to go. Too bad all the cartoons they offer is sitcoms and edgy comedies with bad art like everything else on television. I mean I like Bojack but it feels like if they made it live action, nothing would change other the small animal jokes here and there.
>>
>>82604995
Name three shows currently on that aren't original
>>
>>82604996

>To be The Loud House is pretty boring

Oh no don't get me wrong, it is. But I just like the fact that it's not CN brand of protags. Also they do not hold back when it comes to the sisters being at the end of the joke or being wrong unlike some shows *cough Mabel cough*.
>>
>>82605075
>Adventure Time
>Steven Universe
>Amazing World of Gumball
>Clarence
>Regular Show
>Rick and Morty
Originality is a lie. Every work of fiction is merely a unique combination of previously existing archetypes. This is not remotely a bad thing, but it is true nonetheless.
>>
>>82602548
>Hasn't witnessed the mighty dog pecs before
Before your time I suppose, it's a thing from the 80's
>>
Is that the flying dog missle anime?
>>
>>82605120
This would NEVER fly out in americant
>>
>>82606380

Most Japanese shows or French comics would never fly in Americuck land. They love their badly drawn kiddy shit too much and their unfinny edgy Jewish sitcoms.
>>
>>82604697
You can complain, but it will make you look like a moron. There have always been trends, animation has always been a business created by white collar workers with an arts degree, overseen and ordered by people aiming to turn a profit.

/co/ always ignores the business side of things. It boils to "I am not entertained by something to which I am a vocal bonus demographic, (but will watch it anyway).
>>
>>82604944
Though the binge watchable format lets them experiment with light serialization when most networks will throw your episodes up in random order.
>>
>>82605120
I remember when this anime was big thing finland
>>
If you've been alive for more than 15 years you'd realize how fantastic this current era of animation is. Go outside and play with your friends.
>>
You've been alive too long. It's time to go now since the world has nothing more to offer you.
>>
>>82606779
I used to watch this and a bunch of other dubbed anime as I was growing up too. But in the neighbouring country of Sweden.
>>
>>82601310
Action cartoons is dead, anon. Best go to the theaters for cape flicks or join /a/ for your animated action
>>
File: 1404892975084.jpg (156 KB, 728x800) Image search: [Google]
1404892975084.jpg
156 KB, 728x800
>>82602146
>Creatine
TOO SWOLE TO CONTROL
>>
>>82606435
>There have always been trends
No shit, Sherlock.

The point is that the current trend is garbage.
>>
>>82605235
http://youtu.be/JRPb-y8o84s
>>
>>82601310
>Draw dog with realistic anatomy
>Give it stylized human eyes
God damnit Japan.
>>
>>82607342
I watched it in japanese but with subtitles. But i have always wondered why didnt finland start dubbing more anime than just kids stuff. It would be interesting to see if Haruhi would have got finnish dub.
>>
>>82601310
I have never felt much confidence in the so called "Golden Age of Television".

And cartoons are definitely at one of their lamest points right now.
Doesn't help that the market is basically dead.
>>
>>82607582
But it isn't
>>
>>82608797
Live action TV is doing pretty okay, in fact doing amazing by comparison to cartoons.
>>
>>82609527
It's great because now shows are actually being shot well and creators are allowed a lot more control, this is in part thanks to shit like Netflix existing and companies needing to create exciting new shows that you will want to watch right away instead of waiting for them to come up on Netflix, although this "problem" has been stopped by companies simply refusing to renew contracts with Netflix.
>>
>>82601724
Weed was such hot garbage it's insulting.

>Dude lmao im a badass alpha dog ill fukin rip that dogs balls off
>Dude lmao im a badass alpha dog and you're going to eat this shit im shitting right here on screen

>Meanwhile weed goes for ebin killmoves trying to assassinate and whenever he misses his buddies carry him off
???+++++++++++++
>>
File: Lucky_Charms.jpg (386 KB, 761x601) Image search: [Google]
Lucky_Charms.jpg
386 KB, 761x601
not even cereal boxes are safe anymore
>>
>>82609500
Yes it is.
>>
>>82602177
Besides Bojack, every streaming platforms /co/ material is meh at best. And even then, Bojack has only some shining moments with a lot of uninteresting stuff inbetween
Even Netflix's anime they licenced/produced is trash. Though they did buy the american rights to the Little Prince, so that's cool
>>
>>82611305
Meanwhile we have Dreamworks claiming they make the best cartoons because they won some daytime Emmys.
Pro tip, nobody at the awards committee even cares enough about cartoons to bother watching them and just give awards arbitrarily.
>>
>>82611447
All of dreamworks shows so far are just hot garbage
Maybe ok for young kids, but I can't think of anyone else who likes them. And I know "ITS FOR KIDS" but a good cartoon can be enjoyed by multiple age groups
>>
File: puffincest.jpg (30 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
puffincest.jpg
30 KB, 630x354
>>82611305
What about Puffin Rock? It's admittedly a show for toddlers, but by those standards it's pretty comfy.
>>
>>82611510
The Peabody & Sherman show has some good design work, the content of the show isn't surprising, but it does the job.
>>
First saturday mornings now the rest.

They want childhood over.
>>
>>82611558
I really like that show's style, but the actual show itself is just super boring
Just disappointingly so
>>
>>82601310
You have to start watching Clarence dude

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x327elf
>>
>>82611510
Hey now, All Hail King Julien is pretty good.
>>
>>82611634
I love clarence, but it isn't super original
But it pretty much perfects everything it copies
>>
>>82609500
Yes.
It is.
>>
>>82611685
True, but at the very least it doesn't have boring animation.
>>
File: vom.jpg (26 KB, 312x312) Image search: [Google]
vom.jpg
26 KB, 312x312
>>82611102
You don't know the half of it friendo.

https://youtu.be/knLSe7_tfjU
>>
>>82611890
Fucking hell, talk about ripping off an art style.
>>
>>82611646
You probably only like it because you're a shipper.
The only thing interesting about it is that everyone seems to have the hots for him.
>>
>>82611532
Hope that other cartoon saloon pilot get's greenlighted by amazon or whoever.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.