[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are action cartoons now dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
Are action cartoons now dead?
>>
Katara had better feet than Toph
>>
>>82600932
Yes. Stop asking.
>>
>>82600955

Well duh, Toph's are dirty and crusty because she goes barefoot everywhere.
>>
File: international-rescue.png (330 KB, 640x327) Image search: [Google]
international-rescue.png
330 KB, 640x327
No, they're waiting for their new seasons.
>>
>>82600932
maybe action cartoons with the same level of animation as avatar

i think action cartoons can still have a chance, but unfortunaly they will need to get more simple designs and adopt another format that allows them to be watched at any episode

i know, it is sad, i guess every writer will have to find their own way of doing it with whatever cartoon they want to make
>>
>>82600993
No anon, real cartoons. Robot Chicken doesn't count.
>>
File: 1331948827664.jpg (27 KB, 459x327) Image search: [Google]
1331948827664.jpg
27 KB, 459x327
I'm hyped for the new Voltron on netflix but seems it'll be stillborn.
>>
File: 1454369092178.png (665 KB, 652x488) Image search: [Google]
1454369092178.png
665 KB, 652x488
What does /co/ think of action cartoons?

What are the key differences in target audience, in the sense of east vs west, where one thrives to an excessive amount, and while another barely has any to attribute to the genre?
What were some big names in the genre for western cartoons? Why are they somewhat niche compared to the next comedy cartoon?
>>
>>82601146
What happened since the days of the DCAU?
>>
>>82600955
Maybe but Toph was still best girl
>>
its more like "shows with continuity that are not comedy based" are dead

at least for shows that are considered Western, and not something like... Pokemon? Hell does that only air once a week
>>
File: IMG_20160508_221512.jpg (88 KB, 548x889) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160508_221512.jpg
88 KB, 548x889
We have the latex catboi show, that's about it for now...
>>
>>82601212
action cartoons are expensive. it's cheaper to just get the rights to whatever action anime is currently popular, dub it, and broadcast that
>>
>>82601146
>and adopt another format that allows them to be watched at any episode
I'm surprised there's been no Aeon Flux successors in that regard
>>
>>82601212

Japan uses Animation for things the USA uses serialized Live action shows for.
>>
>>82601184
What does Robot Chicken have to do with anything? Legit confused here, please explain.
>>
>>82601245
I can see the point, but would you say that they don't see the money in action cartoons?
I didn't particularly like Korra, but the Avatar series, the first in particular was pretty successful and showed that it's definitely possible to do
Inversely, Motorcity got axed despite it's ridiculously great quality control and animation, which was a huge disappointment given the quality of the show
Would you say this is a problem with gender demographics? That Motorcity was inherently too boyish for a universal appeal?

>>82601302
A huge amount that comes to mind are crime/cop shows, CSI, Bones, NCIS, etc
Cultural differences aside, in a reality where they were all animation, I don't think it'd be all that appealing given the oversaturation on how western media orbits around a single concept with only minor continuity; that and how western cartoons are perceived to be for children alone
>>
>>82601459
It doesn't help that all the series you mentioned had great potential for merch that was either completely mishandled or not made at all.
>>
File: sponge.gif (464 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
sponge.gif
464 KB, 500x338
ok, /co/ tell me, do you think the current state of action cartoons will stay like this for let's say the next 10 years

how do you think cartoons will change in the future?

i used to like the way cartoon network did things and i used to hate everything related to nickelodeon, but right now i think things are starting to change and nick will be great again while cartoon network slowly becomes shit

im curious of what your predictions will be because one day i want to get something im writing/drawing turned into an action cartoon, and i think it will probably take me at least 8 years if im really really lucky
>>
Are there any that are still alive?
>>
>>82600932
Avatar was adventure, not action.
>>
>>82601590
it was both
>>
>>82601640
Then every capeshit cartoon is also action.
>>
>>82601651
I can't imagine an intelligent mindset that wouldn't automatically come to that conclusion.
>>
>>82601695
Then where is the problem?
Some faggot who bitches that Avatar ended?
>>
>>82601730
Oh, you're a troll posting nonsense for the sake of nonsense.. 6/10, you got me for a bit,
>>
We will never have another Mighty Max or Jonny Quest. Yet alone ATLA. What we will get is more SJW propaganda, feminism and all the garbage that comes with those things. Cartoons are essentially dead at this point and the corpse has been hijacked and fucked by the SJW crowd. The cultural rot has reached our medium as well, as it has all things.

There are no words to voice my disgust.
>>
>>82601192
Why? They're getting at least 26 eps.
>>
>>82600932
Yes because lol random is cheep, easy to produce and people watch it.
That's also why "reality" tv is replacing everything.
>>
>>82601212
Speaking generally about the differences between America and Japan, let's consider what usually happens in Japan.

There's the manga industry. Manga is very widely read, there's manga of all kinds for everyone, and since it's very cheap to produce there's no problem with trying different things and see what works. The publisher figures that they'll commission an anime adaptation of a manga of theirs because it's gotten popular. They get together a bunch of other companies like a record company, a video distributor, a merchandising company and a television network. They all pitch in and finance the production, so nobody has to shoulder the risk all by themselves. Then they hire a studio and other personnel to make the anime, and buy a timeslot for the duration of the show, which is 12-26 episodes. The anime studio will use its in-house staff, subcontract work to other studios, and hire freelancers. There's a lot of studios and freelancers in Japan (of course some work gets sent overseas too), and because of standardization it's easy for people to work together. The show is done quickly and efficiently on a small budget.

The anime airs, and to make a profit they sell Blu-rays, music CDs (soundtracks, OP/ED themes, character songs, image songs etc.), merchandise (figures, posters, scrolls, puzzles, bath towels, mugs etc.) and tickets to special events. They do collaborations with businesses, they do tourism promotion (a lot of anime are set in real locations), they release phone apps, anything goes. Any increase in manga sales resulting from the anime is also money in the bank.

The anime will probably make a profit or at least break even if it sells somewhere between 3,000 or 5,000 discs (a 12 episode series will usually have six volumes, or six discs). Granted, the discs are expensive, but it's still a very small number of purchases.

That in a nutshell is how the anime industry can do what it does. America doesn't have any of that.
>>
>>82602045
All at the cost of completely destroying the people who make it.
>>
>>82600932
Yes, it's why I got back into Anime
>>
>>82601235
Star Wars Rebels is still around.
>>
>>82602077
They've been at it for about fifty years now, and it's not like there aren't other industries that are very demanding.
>>
>>82601192
>large episode order
>toyline debuting next year
>comic book tie-in later this year

Nah.
>>
>>82600932
Steven Universe could've been a great action cartoon, had they decided just to focus on the Gems only and have them fight actual bad guys instead of monsters
>>
File: The Hero, Tron.jpg (235 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
The Hero, Tron.jpg
235 KB, 2048x1152
We lte the uprising die before it had a chance to begin.
>>
>>82601849
I don't think they'll last more than a season

>>82602286
Just like 2011's Thundercats
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.