[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone pissed that when DC brought the Question into the DC Universe,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 01_bb_01_question_ditko.jpg (812 KB, 1032x1516) Image search: [Google]
01_bb_01_question_ditko.jpg
812 KB, 1032x1516
Anyone pissed that when DC brought the Question into the DC Universe, they jetisoned his entire supporting cast? I mean, the Starr family at the very least should have stayed in the picture since they were perfect fodder for a DC Universe for the inner city politics of the O'Neil run.

Syd would have been a perfect villain for the series: basically scheming to overthrow his dad, get Vic fired and blacklisted, and generally being a scummy SJW type shitlord making life hell for the people of Hub City under the guise of "promoting" equality.

Similarly, they could have fleshed out Sam Starr as a surrogate dad for Vic and maybe even go the route that the Starr family RAISED Vic, as far as Vic being adopted by them (say Sam's wife died giving birth to a stillborn son and Sam adopted Vic to fill the void in his life).

And they could have given Celia a past with Oliver Queen/Bruce Wayne and played up the notion of her being the one that is actually being groomed to take over running the TV network her family owns.
>>
>>82597682

O'Neil could have kept them around, but it would have not worked with the tone of the series O'Neil wanted. O'Neil never really gave a fuck about Vic being a reporter; IIRC he rarely was seen at the news station to begin with.

I always headcanon that Sam and Syd died during the villain take-over of Earth 4/Hub City in Crisis #9-10 and that carried over into the Post-Crisis world, in that in the post-Crisis world, whichever villain offed the Starr family still did the deed.

Celia took over/sold the network and the new owners didn't give a fuck either way about Vic Sage, because he got good ratings and anyone bitching about him being a fascist got ignored.
>>
Few people on /co/ have read O'Neill's run, much less Ditko's original.
>>
Nah, O'Neil's Vic is so different from Ditko's that I'm fine with them just starting over. They're both worth reading, but I'd rather have good comics than ones strictly bound to everything that came before them
>>
>>82597682
I'm more interested in why Nora Lace didn't carry over to O'Neil's Question. Say what you will about how handled women characters at Marvel, but Ditko's love interests for Vic Sage and Blue Beetle were hardcore "ride or die" babes that took not shit from those who attacked their boyfriends.
>>
>>82597901
>Say what you will about how handled women characters at Marvel

I think that's just because Lee was always handling the dialogue even if Kirby and Ditko wrote their own in the gutters and margins. Lee was pretty chauvinistic. Things like Mr. Fantastic telling Sue " Wives should be kissed and not heard"
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 271x408) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 271x408
>>82597682
>SJW Hub city
In the same sentence
>>
But the Starr family are basically are one of the few constants of the entire Question character though. And given the rise of cable TV and the proto-SJW movement in America in the late 80s coming into being, there was a lot of wasted potential to be had.

WWB could have been a CNN parody and you could have gotten some mileage out of Syd being an evil asshole, in terms of expanding his ambitions and tying that into the whole political angle with Myra and her pathetic asshole governor husband. What if Myra had to run against Syd? They could have gotten some mileage out of Syd finding out about Vic/Myra and blackmailed them. Or using Syd to bring in Lex Luthor to fuck with Vic. Or have Syd take over WWB and trying to kill Vic through a thousand papercuts, making life hell for Vic through every petty way he can, which puts stress on Vic and his newfound zen outlook on life?
>>
>>82598037
Read the Ditko Question/Blue Beetle stories.

The bad guys were basically SJWs: evil art critics who want to tear down people to make themselves feel good and who don't even LIKE artwork. Hippies who hate authority and anything masculine or traditional, who treat a villain who dies fighting Blue Beetle because of his tech being fatal to anyone using it, like he was Eric Gardner, think scientists are history's greatest monsters, and womens groups who argue that criminals should be coddled and who call Vic Sage a literal Hitler on a regular basis and try and kill his news show by constantly tormenting his sponsors for giving money to a "fascist".
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 640x486) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 640x486
>>82597845
That makes me sad
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 193x260) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 193x260
>>82598173
I was just a saying a modern day sjw
Would last like one second in hub till the were brutally rapped to death
>>
>>82598260
Dude is taking about Silver Age Hub City.
>>
>>82598183
>>82597845

Can someone storytime the Ditko Question stories?
>>
>>82599409

They were storytimed a couple of weeks ago.

Would instead love to see the side story shit that has IIRC not been storytimed in a while: The two Charlton Bullseye stories with the Question, Americomics #1, Charlton's Blue Beetle #5 (which has Question in civilian mode playing a big role), Blue Beetle DC #4-7 (which has the first post crisis appearance of Vic), and the Question Quarterly and oddball issues published in the 90s
>>
>>82599693
IIRC there are no known scans of the Question Quarterly and one-offs (Showcase 95, Question Returns, Azreal/Question) O'Neil wrote. Same with the Sentinels of Justice one-off and the Charlton Bullseye stuff.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.