[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The stare of Calvin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: ch921101.gif (66 KB, 600x417) Image search: [Google]
ch921101.gif
66 KB, 600x417
Why are Calvin's parents so fucking terrible how do you end up having a violent savage child like him by accident?
>>
>>82595275
Calvin's dad pls go
>>
What kind of parents get their kid a tiger?
>>
>>82595461
you do know hobbes is actually imaginary, right?
>>
>>82595510
I'm not sure you know what an imagination actually is.
>>
>>82595275

Some of it seems to come directly from his parents. His dad's fondness for trolling Calvin with complete bullshit explains where Calvin gets his flights of imagination, and his mom's heavy sarcasm seems similar to Calvin's outspoken contempt, just yoked with some maturity.

Also, while Calvin clearly overestimates his own intelligence and importance (hardly unusual for a six-year-old), he clearly *is* quite a bit more clever and intelligent than most kids his age. He's probably easily bored by his surroundings, which is probably part of why he either acts out or retreats into fantasy a lot.
>>
>>82595275
Silly anon. All children are violent and savage by nature. It is the default human state.
>>
Honestly, they're not that bad.

The strip is praised for its great portrayal of childhood, and with that you realize that as a kid, everything is exaggerated. If you get punished, then your parents are evil tyrants and you wish they were dead, and if they make you stop playing for some reason you don't understand, then obviously they have some conspiracy to make you have as little fun as possible. This lasts for all of 3 hours and you forget you were mad and carry on.

There are a few strips here and there where they're shown in a good light, and where Calvin is shown to actually care for and respect them, like the time he crashes his dad's car, his binoculars, or other rare moments of peace.

But not everyone has great parents. most people have average parents who don't know what to do about the crazy shit their kid does. I don't think i would change anything in the strip.
>>
File: Watterson's Prediction 1.jpg (57 KB, 736x233) Image search: [Google]
Watterson's Prediction 1.jpg
57 KB, 736x233
>tfw Watterson predicted our present time in his strips

1/2
>>
File: Watterson's Prediction 2.jpg (120 KB, 900x288) Image search: [Google]
Watterson's Prediction 2.jpg
120 KB, 900x288
>>82597094
2/2
>>
>>82597094
Or people who grew up reading Calvin have stuck with this strips core values

Maybe Watterson is to blame. Maybe me blaming someone else for the present is the very reasoning we live the way we do today.
>>
Calvin and Hobbes was basically a marble cake of Childhood Innocence and Adulthood Cynicism.
>>
>>82597389
If you think his point was that whining about your problems is a good idea, you're an idiot.
>>
>>82595275
>Why are Calvin's parents so fucking terrible
Honestly, they'd do better than most parents.
>>
>>82596234
>It is the default animal state.
Fixed, anon. Humans are animals too!
>>
>>82595902
A C&H/Inside Out mashup would be the grandest thing.
>>
>>82595461
Hobes isent real anon
>>
>>82595275

>TFW he shares a class with Clarissa
>>
>>82596234

You idiot.

>>82603008

He physically stopped Calvin from running out onto the road when he was following the car.
>>
>>82597094
PC culture waxes and wanes, the 90's had SJW analogues, dum-dum.
>>
>>82595902
Calvin could easily ace school if he applied himself
>>
>>82603153

Highly debatable. He has incredible imagination, but I don't think he is particularly smart.
>>
>>82603181
He's gotten A's before, and he has studiet and done well in school as a result. As you say, his imagination is incredible, which easily distracts him and makes school too boring for him to take it serious
>>
>>82603276
>He's gotten A's before, and he has studiet and done well in school as a result.

When was that? That one parody comic where they give him Ritalin and he becomes all boring and Hobbes is reduced to just a stuffed toy?
>>
>>82603308
Can't remember exactly, but there is one of the colored strips where he imagines getting a parade in the city in honour of his A. Also the one where he answers correctly on a test with an additional "I only learned this useless fact for the test. I will forget it soon after"
>>
>>82603336

...Well... he's only six, of course.

...I never realized this, but - they have written tests for six-year-olds???
>>
File: Strip.jpg (281 KB, 900x629) Image search: [Google]
Strip.jpg
281 KB, 900x629
>>82603308
>>82603336
Found one
>>
>>82603359
I think they have tests like that in America and France
>>
>>82595902
But the outer side of the disk does move faster than the inner side.
>>
>>82603495
rotational velocity /= angular velocity
>>
>>82603605
Yeah, but every time that comic is posted a bunch of people here get as perplexed as Calvin.
>>
>>82602994
But it already exists. In multiple strips, too...
>>
File: CH.jpg (95 KB, 816x588) Image search: [Google]
CH.jpg
95 KB, 816x588
>>82603796
>>
>>82603276
>As you say, his imagination is incredible, which easily distracts him and makes school too boring for him to take it serious

Haha yes, I remember when he tried solving 5+6 by imagining himself as a spaceman crashing together the 5th and 6th planets of a solar system. The 8th planet was bigger and survived the accident, therefore 5+6 = 6. And after that, time was up for the test.

Honestly if he took his imagination and wrote down in detail his adventure, he could probably become a popular book writer in some category.
>>
File: calvin2.gif (299 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
calvin2.gif
299 KB, 500x370
>>82603800
>>
>>82603822
Urine?
>>
File: orange juice.jpg (119 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
orange juice.jpg
119 KB, 750x600
>>82603852
no, it's orange juice.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.