[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Other than several episodes of The Simpsons, I've never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: 1462061301318.jpg (139 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1462061301318.jpg
139 KB, 1600x1200
Other than several episodes of The Simpsons, I've never watched cartoons. I feel like I'm missing out, so what should I watch to start exploring this part of pop culture?

If it helps, my favourite tv shows are Oz, Deadwood, and Mad Men.
>>
Watch Steven Universe, it's so bad you'll never want to watch a cartoon again. Think of all the extra time you'll have!
>>
File: 1461296241258.png (315 KB, 800x1060) Image search: [Google]
1461296241258.png
315 KB, 800x1060
>>82587216
Dont listen to the anon above me. Steven is great if you like mainly female casts with good music and hot lesbian undertones

Its not even an undertone. One character blatantly asks another to fuck
>>
>>82587216
Other than The Simpsons? I'll list some modern ones.

Regular Show
The Amazing World Of Gumball
Steven Universe
Uncle Grandpa
Adventure Time
Gravity Falls
Wander Over Yonder
Star Vs The Forces Of Evil
Rick and Morty
We Bare Bears
Bojack Horseman

You should like at least one out of that pile.
>>
>>82587335
>Steven is great if you like mainly female casts with good music and hot lesbian undertones

This description doesn't really pique my curiosity at all, but I'll keep it in mind.

>>82587343
This is kind of overwhelming, but thanks for the list.
>>
>>82587429
>This description doesn't really pique my curiosity
Sorry, I havent jerked off in 63 hours.

The story for steven is legitimately good. Every episode has something that hints to the future of the plot. The story is pretty deep. Especially after season 1. The main con is that the episodes come out in "bombs" meaning they release four episodes in one week whenever they feel like it, which can be months at a time.
>>
>>82587528
>Every episode has something that hints to the future of the plot. The story is pretty deep

I like complex stories, so that's certainly a plus.
>>
File: 1461328797348.jpg (36 KB, 816x979) Image search: [Google]
1461328797348.jpg
36 KB, 816x979
>>82587572
>I like complex stories
You'd definitely enjoy steven then. Give it a chance. The first 5 or so episodes are generic problem of the week episodes but they're pretty entertaining.

After that its great. Peridot is best gem.
>>
>>82587343
No Bob's Burgers?
>>
>>82587918
Bob's burgers suck IMO
>>
>>82587429

If it helps to narrow the list in >>82587343 down, I would say to start with Bojack Horseman and Rick and Morty, as they're the ones very much aimed at an adult audience (given you like HBO shows). Bojack has two seasons on Netflix.

Gravity Falls is two seasons, with a complete story arc. Wander Over Yonder is also two seasons long, and while most episodes are standalone, there are some with an ongoing story. Steven Universe also has an ongoing storyline.

We Bare Bears and Star Vs are both relatively new, so have about one season's worth of episodes.

Adventure Time, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa and Gumball have all been running for a while, so they each have a bajillion episodes, but you can just watch whatever the latest episode is without too much trouble.
>>
>>82587216
Gravity Falls
Motorcity
Sym-Bionic Titan
>>
>>82587572
Don't watch SU. It's primarily a child's cartoon these autists obsess over.

This is a more palatable list for an adult who hasn't watched cartoons before
>>82588039
>>
>>82587343
>Gumball
>SU
>Uncle Grandpa
>Adventure Time
>WE Bare Bears
>Wander

This dude doesn't watch cartoons and you listed off a ton of mediocre and shit lol random ones. He's coming from OZ, DEADWOOD, AND MAD MEN you FUCKING IDIOT.
>>
>>82587429
I would honestly reccomend Rick and Morty. Most people I've talked to like 15 to 35 have really enjoyed the show. It's kind of a mind fuck show.
>>
>>82588093
Those are what's considered good for cartoon standards man. Not the greatest medium.
>>
>>82588150
There are about a dozen good, high quality cartoons over the years he could watch, starting with things like Sym-Bionic Titan, Samurai Jack, Hey Arnold, Metalocalypse, Gravity Falls, Megas XLR, and stuff like the first few seasons of Regular Show.

Instead you list off like 5 or 6 meme shows that are pretty fucking mediocre. I'm surprised I didnt' see Clarence.

You're telling an adult who watches Oz, Madmen, and Deadwood to watch Steven Universe and Wander Over Yonder.
>>
>>82588150
Lots of people like transformers 4, but most people don't reccomend it. You have to pick for your audience like don't go showing grandma "Green Room" and showing little Timmy "12 Angry Men"
>>
>>82588066
>It's primarily a child's cartoon

Do you mean literally directed towards only an audience of children, or "Haha Breaking Bad is silly it's for children"? If it's the former, I'm a little put off. I usually like a degree of psychological complexity in my characters and I usually can't believe a children's cartoon has that. Although I do admit I'm probably being prejudice because I haven't watched any cartoons of course.
>>
>>82588249
I mean Steven Universe isn't going to do it for you. It's got less complexity than other cartoons and is about a fat kid doing stupid shit.
>>
After doing a little research, Rick and Morty sounds like a fun show with interesting characters, and I'm in the mood for something surreal and spacey, so this sounds like it will suit me well. Thanks for the reccomendations, /co/.
>>
>>82588364
Great choice man
>>
Futurama - imagine the Simpsons, but funny with sci-fi
Megas XLR - meathead gamer from NJ finds a giant robot and has to fight an alien invasion
Venture Bros - twisted parody of boy-adventurer and superhero properties
>>
>>82588364
Also watch Futurama season 1-4, Symbionic Titan, and Megas XLR.
>>
>>82588249
Don't listen to this >>82588309 guy with the name of shitposter kun. Seriously, he gets paid to post the same generic 'criticism' on this show.

The characters in Steven Universe are quite complex and the story is pretty entertaining, but I see you've chosen interest in Rick and Morty for now. Which is a fine show as well, but if you're ever interested in watching another cartoon show again I could name a few more.

Samurai Jack
Over the Garden Wall
And these >>82588039 are alright too
>>
>>82588572
Yeah, I'm sure as soon as he watches cookie cat and the episode about waffles he'll see just how complex SU is.
>>
>>82588150
>Those are what's considered good for cartoon standards man.
He'd be better off watching maybe three of those shows and then sticking to anime.
>>
>>82588614
I know I shouldn't feed a shitposter like you but eh I feel like taking a minute break.

Everyone knows the first 10 episodes are a little hard to get through, because they seem rather episodic and simple. But around episode 12 things start to get better and the main story begins around 25/26. Once you've seen the whole show and go back to the first episodes, you'll notice that even these contain some subtle hints (e.g. about the characters as well) and hidden lore.
>>
>>82588810
right, well, those 10 eps are huge turnoffs.
>>
>>82588614
>>82588810
Actually now that I thought about it longer for a second, even cookie cat seemed to be hinting to some future events:

>"A refugee of an interstellar war!"
>"He left his family behind"
>"Cookie Cat I never considered you to be evil"

It kinda mentions the story of he CG vs Homeworld

>>82588878
I remember with the first 2 episodes how I took breaks in the middle because of how generic they seemed, but eventually after a few more episodes my patience was rewarded. I didn't say that my view about these first episodes have changed much since, just that these surprisingly got some stuff about the bigger story hidden in there

In the end it's still a matter of taste and so it might not be your show. Big deal. However saying that it doesn't have any complexity is wrong
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.