[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
I went to the LCS for the first time in my life. I was at the coffee shop and the comic book store next door was crowded af so it caught my attention. I really loved the atmosphere there and I loved how everyone was connected with the love of comics.

I got a bunch of free comics, since I didn't know any characters, I just picked up familiar stuff (like Cap,Suicide Squad, etc) and one sci-fi looking one. Also I purchased my first comic book there too. I got The Invincible Iron Man #1 for $4 & 2 issues of Darth Vader #1 for myself and my SW geek friend.

My real question is... I'd like to start my own comic book collection. Any recommendations? I don't want anything fancy or rare, I just want anything I could get my hands on at the store. I don't mind any genre desu. Not a HUGE fan of superheroes either but if you guys are recommending, then I'm down to check them out.

About me
1. I love films. Melodrama kind of stuff. I'm a fan of PTA or Richard Linklater's works.(Hope this info could help lol)
2. I like Star Wars but is the comics worth buying or reading?
3. Spider-Man and Batman were my favorite comicbook characters in my childhood.
>>
http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/
Pick what you like.
Star Wars are OK, if you aren't triggered by muh old canon.
>>
>>82576236
Well, if you're into Star Wars, than the comics should be up your alley.

The current runs of star wars the comic and Darth Vader the comic are both set in between episode 4 and episode 5.

I see you also got Invincible Iron Man. If you so happen to like that book and how it is written, another title by the same author to consider would be Ultimate Spiderman. Start with the first volume entitled Power and Responsibility.
>>
File: 250px-Transmetropolitan_2.jpg (40 KB, 250x388) Image search: [Google]
250px-Transmetropolitan_2.jpg
40 KB, 250x388
>>82576236
transmetropolitan
>>
>>82576236
>I got The Invincible Iron Man #1 for $4 & 2 issues of Darth Vader #1 for myself and my SW geek friend.
>About me
>1. I love films. Melodrama kind of stuff. I'm a fan of PTA or Richard Linklater's works.(Hope this info could help lol)
>2. I like Star Wars but is the comics worth buying or reading?
>3. Spider-Man and Batman were my favorite comicbook characters in my childhood.
This is a fucking bait thread right?
>>
The current Spider-Man series is bad, I'd recommend going back to brand new day or ultimate like that guy said.
DC is having a huge jumping on point in a month with, every book is the start of a new story, so check out Batman there if you want.

I mostly only read capes so I don't know much else, but I can recommend current greats like East of West or Saga.
>>
>>82576236
If you live in a city with an LCS, you probably also have local libraries. A number of comic books, graphic novels and other stuff is going to be available there.

I read the entire set of Sandman trades that way, which is probably too meta about literature and story telling based on your interest. But they also had We3 which is very visual and cinematic.

My library (as most do) also had stuff available to check out digitally. You might need to download an app like Overdrive, but it will work on your phone, a laptop/desktop or tablet.

My library breaks it down in YA/Teen and also children. The Lego superhero books are actually a lot of fun, even if they are definitely written for kids, but for example, I was buying some stuff for my kids and I'd rather buy them that then say Teen Titans Go which is written in a way that I think it's really insulting to kids.

Personally, I've enjoyed the SW films and Clone Wars on Netflix but found the few comics books I looked at to get too bogged down in nit-picky kinda of stuff about the universe. Disney essentially disowned all the older stuff and started all new stuff. I've looked at some of the Marvel releases and find them 'eh. But the children's section of numerous branches have stuff like it (which is supposedly Teen and up but again in my area - Southern California) got slotted for kids.

There are also places to read comics on line that you can try out and see what you like.
>>
>>82576486
>muh comic elitism

Fuck off, fag. Go read your Justice League Dark and Gwenpool to show us how "deep" your sophisticated taste is now that you're "not" reading entry level stuff.
>>
>>82576236
Morrison's The Invisibles
the JMS Spider-Man collection
Marvel's Darth Vader
Parker's Thunderbolts
Prez
Tomboy
Gaiman's Sandman
Hellblazer
O'Neil's The Question
Nailbiter
Locke & Key
100 Bullets
Usagi Yojimbo
Urasawa's Pluto
Planetary
Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
Adventures of Tintin
>>
The library is a great suggestion. I think reading digital is essential, too. If you have a tablet, download a comic reader app and find some good comic book torrents so you can read in bulk. There are various torrent sites that have "0 day" packs where you can download just about every comic/trade the week they come out. I would suggest downloading those for a few months to see what's currently coming out that catches your eye and getting a subscription to those at your LCS. That is, of course, as a supplement to downloading the comics that catch your eye from the recommended lists, linked earlier.

That may sound overwhelming, but when you're trying to crack a new medium, there's no short cut in developing your tastes and finding out what you like. You honestly just have to take in A LOT of what that medium has to offer, ideally as cheaply/freely as possible, before you catch your sea legs, so to speak.

But it's honestly a lot of fun, and when you start reading stories that excite you, and finding the artists/writers who speak to you and start picking up subscriptions or special ordering trades that you love at your LCS, it can be a thrilling experience. You'll definitely watch a lot less TV!
>>
For Marvel stuff I heavily suggest subscribing to Marvel Unlimited if you just want to read older stuff. If you really want to start a physical collection and not pay out the ass for older books. Omnibuses are a thing, I heavily recommend getting the Spider-Man Masterworks since Early Spider-Man is literally one of the Best Spider-Men.

SW Books are cool too I guess.

While torrenting is cool and all, they're only helpful when you're getting a run that's really popular. More or less you'll be like me struggling to find a torrent of Immortal Iron Fist or Grant Morisson's Doom Patrol that actually has seeders
>>
>>82576359
So many links from there are broken...
>>
>>82576236
>I'm new.
Door's over there, faggot.

We don't need yet more shitposting casuals.
>>
>>82579737
Don't be a dick
>>
>>82579737
wrong thread, homo
>>
>>82580161
>>82580181
He is rigth, you know.
Spoon feeding was the reason why /co/ became /co/mblr, you are supposed to lurk the board to learn about it.
>>
If you can find a copy of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, grab it. It's really, really good entry level shit.
>>
>>82580651
no bitch, rec threads have been a thing since /co/ existed, they don't last long because those of us who care give our recs, OP then GETS OFF 4CHAN AND READS COMICS
/co/ was always /co/mblr, we never participated in the 4chan secret club board culture gayness, we had our own culture, we set ourselves apart, that's why all you shitposting autists have a problem with us
>>
>>82580651
/co/ has always been love though. Unlike /a/, we like being nice to new guys.
>>
>>82576236
You should read Scalped, it's pretty damn good.
>>
>>82576236
>2. I like Star Wars but is the comics worth buying or reading?

The current Marvel comics based on Star Wars are well done and should appeal to any Star Wars fan.
>>
>>82578402
>Locke & Key
Which releases should one grab? GreenEngine? Nahga?
>>
>>82576236
If you like Richard Linklater's films (good taste man) I'd suggest something like Ice Haven by Daniel Clowes or his new one Patience. Latter uses sci-fi tropes and the former is a comedy-drama but clowes' stuff is usually classed as "literary" comics.
Also you should try Love & Rockets--start with the Maggie The Mechanic collection.
And a (fairly) unknown comic called Summer of Love by Debbie Drechsler. Just 'cause that's a personal fave! There's a cartoonist called Michael Deforge who's amazing, he has lots of stuff out, does a comic called Lose but also has a good few graphic novels out, anything by him is worth reading.
Welcome, and hope this helps newfriend!
>>
Thank you everyone, I will actually check them all out to see if it's my taste or not... You guys are the BEST!!!
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.