[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY IS EVERY CARTOON CHARACTER DO THAT MOUTH THING NOW AAAHHH
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10
File: stop IT.jpg (78 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
stop IT.jpg
78 KB, 1280x720
WHY IS EVERY CARTOON CHARACTER DO THAT MOUTH THING NOW AAAHHH
>>
Stop watching garbage cartoons and Egoraptor.
>>
>>82572532
A teacher I had used to say that people find it hard to draw because we're used to represent reality through symbols. That way, for example, a nose is a triangle, an eye is a generic oval, etc. It's faster to do, and easier for us to remember. Therefore, the first thing you should learn when trying to draw, is a way to stop using these symbols, and start learning ways to represent tridimensional images in a bidimensional medium.

They're not doing any of that.
>>
It's because most cartoons are derivated from the same style now. But don't tell /co/ that, they don't like hearing the truth.
>>
>>82572532
cartoons have been doing this for over 100 years man, give up
>>
File: cartoon face.png (37 KB, 455x276) Image search: [Google]
cartoon face.png
37 KB, 455x276
>>82572923
Um. It's a cartoon. It's not going for realism. You might not like the particular way they do it, but you can't criticize them for simplifying real faces.

Thinking of eyes as ovals or circles might be a hindrance for some styles of art, but it's the goal of cartoons.
>>
File: like it.png (26 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
like it.png
26 KB, 800x800
What's the matter, OP?
>>
>>82573465
:T
>>
>>82573507
:I
>>
>>82573465
>>82573507
>>82573569
Jesus, stop making me feel bad about my art skills. How many years did you practice to make such perfectly on model Adventure Time fanart?
>>
>>82572532
It's cute.
>>
>>82572532
The answer for this specific scene is that the storyboarders for that episode always use boring, overused, and awkward looking facial expressions.

Overall Adventure Time's character expressions have tanked over the years.
>>
>>82572532
It's basically cartoon shorthand for "Welp" and similar expressions

Although it's been a while, any older anon post examples of more detailed variations?
>>
>>82572532
FP got FAT
>>
File: 1459732395137.png (693 KB, 537x538) Image search: [Google]
1459732395137.png
693 KB, 537x538
>>82575789
Eating too much does that. It's all in the buns
Now she wants Finn back.
>>
Even a character from the show that will not be named did this.
>>
>>82575789
FP got <spoiler>hot</spoiler>
>>
>>82572532
I think butt mouths are cute
>>
>>82572532
pffrrt!
>>
File: 0.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>82575789
>calling anyone with a waist like that fat
Do you work in the media industry with the job of making female star feel bad about their body?

She got quite lare shoulder, though.
>>
>>82572532
Yeah I hate it. It came from anime/manga which relies heavily on set exaggerated symbols to show certain emotions (sweatdrop, bulging veins popping up above the hair etc) and leaked first into fanart and now even onto professional stuff. It's retarded because I've never seen anyone pull a face like that; it requires being familiar enough with anime to recognise what emotion it's supposed to signify, and without that cultural know-how the expression is unrecognisable and just looks fucking dumb.

I remember when I first saw the anime bulging head vein anger indicator, I thought they were hair pins. I wish the boring and set emotion indicators would be dropped from use, they're lazy and limiting
>>
>>82576600
>>82572532
It's a funny face, why would anyone be annoyed by it.
>>
File: 0.gif (375 KB, 410x230) Image search: [Google]
0.gif
375 KB, 410x230
>>82576767
>>
>>82576767
>>82576791
DOSE HIPS
>>
>>82576767
>>82576791
Man, Flame Princess is hot.
>>
>>82576786
Because it's a dumb trend that suddenly exploded in popularity in the recent couple of years.

Expressions have been simplified forever but the :T is a very new thing that's sudddenly fucking everywhere (and looks dumb as fuck, as if people were bulging their cheeks with air)
>>
File: manning-face.jpg (27 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
manning-face.jpg
27 KB, 400x266
>>82576856
Personally I see it more like pic and other "welp" faces, which I know isn't a "new" thing.

And yeah, they kinda are bulging their cheeks but it conveys the expression enough.
>>
>>82576856
So you don't like it because it's popular, okay.
>>
>>82576934
Well, I'm not OP and my hatred is more directed towards the weird as fuck half-welp that tends to look like someone just slapped the letter y in the middle of the character's face, as the full welp can have some sort of connection with reality, but it's still weird how that expression wasn't drawn that much at all before and is suddenly ubiquitous. Trendface, in a way. Like the tumblr nose
>>
>>82576992
Also because most if the time it diesn't make sense and I don't get what emition it's supposed to convey and how it's supposed to relate to the situation at hand.

A bit like how people used to draw every single character with a bright red nose as if they'd just come in from the cold or were having a cold or were drunkards even though that wasn't the case. Overuse, especially when pointless, tends to sour things even if those things would make sense in moderation or relevant instances
>>
I agree OP. You see it a lot in CalArts cartoons. Even Zombie Spongebob does it, unsurprisingly.
>>
File: 0.jpg (48 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
48 KB, 1080x720
>>82577096
>Also because most if the time it diesn't make sense and I don't get what emition it's supposed to convey
Every time I have seen it used in AT, it was making sense. And it more or less convey "Meh" or "whatever". It's doing quite a good job at it.

>A bit like how people used to draw every single character with a bright red nose as if they'd just come in from the cold or were having a cold or were drunkards even though that wasn't the case.
Colored nose isn't supposed to convey anything, it can simply ve part of the character design. it's colored because that is how the creator want the character to look like and there is nothing wrong with that.
Character whose default design have a different shade of color have existed since more or less cartoon itself. People seems to have grown to dislike only because it got popular. There is not other reason to dislike it.
>>
>>82577214
Besides looking horrible and being overused.

Also I just watched that cartoon and that character was out in the snow, and no one else had a stupid red nose.
>>
>>82572532
I do it occasionally in my drawings, and I'll keep doing it because I've been doing so before Adventure Shit started.
>>
>>82577344
>Also I just watched that cartoon and that character was out in the snow, and no one else had a stupid red nose.
Professor Grampy always has a colored nose, no matter the circumstances.
>>
>>82577118
>that pic
Does zombiebob's feet really point like that in the show?
>>
>>82577214
>>82577344
>>82577474
Actually, red nose was hated because of tumblr especially on characters that doesn't make sense.
>>
>>82572532
What's wrong with it? It's cute. I think you may have some deeper issues to address. :T
>>
File: oh dear lord.jpg (93 KB, 705x799) Image search: [Google]
oh dear lord.jpg
93 KB, 705x799
> :T
>>
>>82573350
>Um.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>82577713
Sigh...

*touches hand to forehead*

only on 4chan well we see ppl make deaththreats over "Um." ...
>>
>>82577214
Yes that's the point on the red nose. It has been used a long time, can have a connection with reality, and has been used as a character element.
And in addition to that, it became an ubiquitous and obnoxious relatively sudden trend where EVERYONE on tumblr suddenly started to draw red, shiny noses on their characters because it was "cute". Like I said, inappropriate overuse can ruin things.
(I use "inappropriate" because I can't think of a better english-language word, I mean that it doesn't fit the general character or situation and is a bit out of place in that instance)
>>
>>82578174
I thought it was bcause it was "special" and "progressive", not cute.
>>
>>82576856
That's exactly what it means you fag
>>
>>82578136
>Sigh
Burn yourself alive.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.