[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was early 2000s Marvel the golden age for the company /co/? You
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 307x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 307x480
Was early 2000s Marvel the golden age for the company /co/? You had Grant Morrison on X-men, Peter Milligan on X-statix, Garth Ennis on Punisher and Brian Michael Bendis on Daredevil and Alias.
>>
>>82571832
60s was their most consistent period. 80s was when they had the most quality books.

Pre-Civil War 2000s really only had a few standouts, albeit really strong ones.
>>
>>82571832
not at all. quite the opposite
>>
It was a revival of sorts, and necessary to get past the excess of the 90s, but by 2007 they really fucked it all up again. Can't say I care for the modern era so much.
>>
Early 2000s Marvel tried a bunch of random stuff because they were going bankrupt. There were some good runs as a result, but there was also plenty of crap.
>>
Honestly they have been having a really good period simce about 2012 with always at least one god tier comic running

X-men legacy, venom, x-force, vision, mighty avengers, ultimates / CoC / New avengers
>>
Lol no.
>>
60s and 70s.
>>
>>82571832
Yes. And let's not forget JMS on Amazing, which was also very good initally.
>>
>>82571832

Absolutely. JMS, Millar, Morrison... They have lost too much human capital since then. That's why they can't make their comics work anymore.
>>
>>82572637
yeah chuck austen was writing at the same time all this shit was going on.

he makes bendis x-men look good.

gay iceman >>> lol nightcrawler has a demon dad
>>
What were the best Marvel books from the 80's? Obviously Miller's DD, Simonson's Thor and Claremont's X-Men if you want to count that since it went through the whole decade. What else?
>>
>>82573002
You seem to be clued in to what's good currently. What's a good hopping on point with Marvel? I've been out of the loop since Marvel Now.
>>
>>82574359
So true. The whole thing with Ezekiel and the Totem and Morlun was great. The rest of his run after that I didn't much care for though.
>>
>>82571832
>golden age
more like last hurrah before giving up on comics and just relying on movies to bring in readers
>>
>>82571832
It's the 70's. Once you hit Tomb of Dracula it's gold until you close out the decade. Nothing you listed even touches Shang-Chi Master of Kung Fu.
>>
>>82574534
No. He really doesn't. Chuck austin was objectively better. At least his shitty insane run was funny enough. Bendis's was shit on top of being dreadfully boring to read.

>>82574935
That's one way to look at it but for whatever reason after fucking House of M there was an amazing resurgence of good books across the board from marvel. Too bad it only lasted a few years.
>>
>>82575001
chuck austen was shit and objectively worse on the canon.

fucking up kurts history is a thousand times worse than making iceman like dudes.
>>
>>82574744
Not him but those last 3 are current. Give New Avengers & Ultimates a go, especially Ultimates. On top of being a great read they're probably gonna be really really significant to canon over the next 3 years.
>>
>>82575096
No because at the end of the day. Nightcrawler didn't get fucking changed as a character. Bendis literally destroyed bobby as a character.
>>
>>82574744
Any of the ones i listed are really readable, just start from #1. Even the event tie ins in stuff like might avengers are written in a way where you dont need to read the main event comic
>>
The 00's was a great era for comics in general. I was out of the superhero game at the time, but reading big two stuff from that era with fresh eyes and no baggage is surprisingly rewarding.

If I could characterize the best the decade had to offer in a word, it would be "readable." Alias may not be a genre elevating statement, but Damn does it go down smooth.
>>
>>82571832
The 60s, probably. Regarding the Golden Age of any comics company, doesn't usually result in their best works, that would be in the 80s. I'm saying the 60s because that's when they introduced most of their big players; Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Thor, Iron Man, The Avengers, etc.
>>
>>82574567
Gruenwald's Captain America
Punisher War Zone
the kid who collected Spider-man
Secret Wars
>>
>>82574935
marvel was doing that back then too
Wolverine stopped being a manlet and Spidey got organic webbing
>>
>>82571832
>>82572514
>>82575494
Why is it that Marvel had the most A-list quality books in the 80s? They're higher-profile now and they publish significantly more monthlies (so you'd expect at least a few more great books), yet these days it seems like most writers are not up to par and/or don't care about writing good stories, and neither does editorial.

What changed compared to the 80s, and what lessons could we draw to make Marvel great again?
>>
>>82574516
Last capeshit Morrison wrote was Multiversity idiot.
>>
>>82575494
>Secret Wars
Nigger
>>
>>82574567
Roger Stern's Spider-Man (actually most Spider-Man was rock solid then excluding Bill Mantlo's run on Spectacular, things really only started to go downhill after Kraven's Last Hunt or so)
Ka-Zar of the Savage Land
Punisher (to an extent)
Punisher War Journal (to a lesser extent)
Moench/Sienkiewicz Moon Knight
The Hands of Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu (this was mostly the 70s, but it ran into the early 80s)
G.I. Joe
Transformers
Conan the Barbarian
Savage Sword of Conan
King Conan
Misty
Groo
Alien Legion
Lawdog
Byrne's Fantastic Four
Simonson's Fantastic Four
Peter David's Hulk
Steeltown Rockers
Steelgrip Starkey
Nth Man The Ultimate Ninja
Car Warriors
US 1
Team America
The Human Fly
The 'Nam
Semper Fi'
Wolfpack
Sledge Hammer
ROM Spaceknight
The Micronauts
Michelinie/Layton's Iron Man
Sensational She-Hulk
Miller's Daredevil
Claremont's X-Men
Claremont's X-Factor
Claremont's New Mutants
Claremont/Miller's Wolverine
Weapon X
Marvel Fanfare
What If?
Swords of the Swashbucklers
Sisterhood of Steel
Coyote
The One
Video Jack
Stalkers
Starstruck
Stray Toasters
Kull
Simonson's Thor

There's probably a few things I'm leaving out, but that should cover almost everything.
>>
>>82575538
>They're higher-profile now

Marvel had a 2/3 share of the market in a time when comics sold significantly more and were read by a vastly larger number of people. Most Marvel books in the 80s were beating the 100k mark. X-Men was selling 750k on a regular basis.

>they publish significantly more monthlies

At one point Marvel was moving around 100 titles per month compared to around 40 now.
>>
>>82575548
That's a DC comic. That post you're replying to is specifically about talent Marvel has lost. In fact, this entire thread has been about Marvel.
>>
>>82575591
>implying Secret Wars wasnt hype as fuck
>>
File: Jim-headst[1].jpg (97 KB, 477x600) Image search: [Google]
Jim-headst[1].jpg
97 KB, 477x600
>>82575538
Jim ''big guy'' Shooter was EiC back then and he kept in Marvel in sheck
People like Bendis or Sloth would have never survived his reign
>>
>>82575240
the whole gay shit barely changes bobbys character, he's still an underachieving stupid asshole.

kurt's change meanwhile changes the whole point of his demonic appearance. the whole point of him was "oh a mutant looks like a demon but thats just outward mutation".

the retcon make him into having literal demon genetics which is fucking stupid.

thats not getting into the retarded juliet and romeo story where angel fucks a teenager in the sky in front of her mother.
>>
I miss early Ultimate Universe
>>
>>82576314

Eh that was pretty much doomed in the long term, once Marvel eventually ran out of big name writers/artists it was inevitable the quality of books would go down.
>>
>>82576323
Which is a pity.
I know /co/ loves to say how USM was the only good thing about that universe, but beginning of UXM, beginning of UFF and first two volumes Ultimates were pretty good.
Would be nice to see what would've happened if Marvel kept good writers on it instead of hacks like Loeb and Humphries.
>>
>>82573002
What god tier comic did they have between Legacy and Vision. none
>>
>>82575538
Jim Shooter.
Dude was a bit of a control freak, but he had rules that every single comic (not series, each published issue) had to follow.

Ever comic was somebody's first, so they need to know who, what, when, and where everything important is. Every issue had a clear beginning, a conflict, and a resolution of at least part of the conflict.
>>
>>82573001
Yeah, most of the Tsunami line was pretty shit aside from New Mutants (which always had art problems) and Runaways although going back I don't think Runaways is as good as I remember, especially after the first volume. There was some good stuff and I loved the status quo of the X-Men at the time although I kind of hated how Marvel wanted to get away from the costumes.

The biggest issue I have with that era is how slow it is. TPBs really took off at the time so there was a lot of trade-writing through the rest of the decade and especially after the success of books like Planetary and the like a lot of books were horrifically decompressed to the point where nothing at all happened in individual issues.

I wonder how good that post-Heroes Reborn era of comics is since there's stuff from that time period like Deadpool and X-Force which is pretty good.
>>
>>82575001
Yeah, if a gun was put to my head I'd choose Austen over Bendis. It's garbage but it's insane garbage and there's at least one genuinely good idea in there with what he did for Juggernaut which is far more than what Bendis did.

Bendis destroys everything around him and is shit but he does it in the most dull, boring way possible. He's like modern Claremont in that regard.
>>
>>82576323
And yet it was a big name writer, Loeb, who started the free-fall in quality.
>>
>>82577658
Planetary is a bad example. Most of the individual issues had their own self-contained thing.
>>
What was /co/s opinion on Bob Harras as Marvel EIC?
>>
>>82575925
>Hype as fuck = quality now
And people like to meme about plebbit.
>>
>>82576361
Ultimates I'm reading now and Hitch's art is saviour. Millar's dialogues are cringeworthy, everyone's an asshole, it's really decompressed and it's fucking soap operatic bull shit.

All that said I'm enjoying it.
>>
>>82574567
Any of the Fantastic Four books.
>>
>>82577906
One of the worst eras ever for any publisher.
>>
>>82575925
Hype as fuck = exaggerating how awesome you thought it was when you were an 80's kid
>>
>>82571832
I remember when Ultimate universe wasn't a mistake.
>>
>>82571832
i cant tell if youre joking or not. youre joking right?
>>
>>82577658
Dude that era sucks, i dunno about x men but the spiderman titles were boring as fuck until 2000, they even tried to kill mj and ended up being a ruse by some stupid ex boyfriend
>>
>>82574764
I feel like it feel in quality after deodato came in and had a last shot at greatness with back in black
>>
>>82575925
Secret Wars doesn't live up to the hype, hell COIE barely does.
>>
>>82583759
*fell*
>>
>>82576361
The Ultimate Galactus trilogy was pretty good as well. I know people bitch about "not muh Galactus" but c'mon it's a different universe, shit is allowed to be different. Besides, it's not like Ellis turned him into a killer cloud or something.
>>
>>82575810
>roger stern
My nigga
>>
>>82574567
Captain Britain, I'm sure that was in the 80s
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.