[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Tony Stank?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 7
What do you think of Tony Stank?
>>
>>82540344
He's an ass.
>>
>>82540344
He's a self righteous prick. He does whatever the fuck he wants and never faces any sort of repercussion for his actions, and yet suddenly wants to police everyone else?
>>
That he was right 100% and that Cap acted incredibly selfish.
>>
>>82540436
>Cap acted incredibly selfish.
>"Hey, maybe we can not kill my friend on sight. Lets have an investigation and a trial."
What a prick.
>>
was it me or was this RDJ's best acting since ever in the MCU?
>>
>>82540344
Him and Cap are both shitheads who destroy half the city with their pissing contest.
>>
>>82540436
le ebig meme
>>
>>82540464
>>"Hey, maybe we can not kill my friend on sight. Lets have an investigation and a trial."
But that was what he was going to get had he turned himself in to Tony at the airport.

>>82540499
He definitely did more than just be himself.
>>
>>82540344
pretty dank
>>
>>82540516
At the airport they needed to go deal with the frozen Winter Soldiers. He even tried to explain to Tony about it but Tony wouldn't listen.
>>
>>82540344
A deeply flawed individual whose massive intelligence can't seem to translate to a balanced evaluation of right and wrong.
>>
>>82540499
probably because the Russo brothers know how to get the best out of people in their films
>>
File: tony_was_right.png (217 KB, 550x659) Image search: [Google]
tony_was_right.png
217 KB, 550x659
>>
>>82540516
>But that was what he was going to get had he turned himself in to Tony at the airport.
Yeah that must be why Ross tossed everyone in undersea prison and didn't wat to hear from Tony even after proof was found.
>>
>>82540546
This. Notice how the action scenes were very busy in this movie but still coherent, whereas the action scenes in AoU were a mess and tried to be too big and out of control
>>
>>82540344
I think he's Batman.
>>
>>82540567
I'm still hyped they introduced the Raft. Big House when?
>>
File: 1312455903405.jpg (72 KB, 1048x758) Image search: [Google]
1312455903405.jpg
72 KB, 1048x758
>>82540557
Look Anon, a paradox.
>>
How does one cuck themselves into being a pawn for the government?

Gee, let's completely forget the previous Marvel movies in which case the government fucked shit up even worse.

Let's also forget that if it weren't for the Avengers stepping in, then the world would have fell to the space aliens.

All because we heard one sob story of someone who died because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I guess that means that one death is enough to drive the Avengers to surrender their own autonomy to the shitty government of the MCU.

Top fucking kek
Tony is an absolute fucking moron.
He can't even fucking remember the events of Iron Man 2 for Christ's sake. But then again, nobody could.
>>
>>82540794
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, WHAT IS THAT
>>
>>82540344

Probably the MCU character with the most growth or change. Each new movie he shows up consistently carries over some influence from the previous one except that time when he decided to quit the hero game but really didn't.
>>
>>82540841
So he went from being an arrogant knowitall that sold weapons to terrorists to an arrogant knowitall prick that hated the government to an arrogant knowitall that bent over a barrel for Ross
>>
For being the "rational" side he was extremely emotional, desperate, and volatile. I wanted to feel bad for him, but he kept saying and doing shit that made it difficult.
>>
>>82540794
Anon, Tony himself almost caused the end of the world with Ultron.

How long before another hero comes along and decides he should build a method to save the world? How long before one of the avengers decides this again? Who keeps them in line ?
>>
>>82540841

>Let's completely forget that one time the government fucked us over
>Wait, wasn't that the central theme of all three of my solo movies?
>Oh look, one sob story from some random lady
>Oh, now I give up my autonomy to the same government that fucked me over because I am sad Trayvon died

Yeah, nah. That's not character development, that's plot convenience.
>>
>>82540905
At least Civil War explains that he only started building new suits was because of Hydra. Whedon didn't give a single fuck.
>>
>>82540936
BW even calls him out on it.
>>
>>82540944

If he can't trust himself, he should just ice himself like Bucky did. He shouldn't hold his whole team accountable because of his one fuckup.
>>
>>82540344
MCU Stark?
they should kill him off as soon as possible and have a get a better focus of the cinematic universe
also has one of the most cancerous normie fanbase since batman
>>
>>82540944
But it was his fault. He bullied the guy that turns INTO THE FUCKING HULK into building an evil doom robot out of an alien staff previously wielded by Loki, an evil alien, and Hydra, a Nazi science fair and enemy of his dad and supposed "best friend"
>>
>>82540947
>wait, wasn't that the central theme of all three of my solo movies?

And Captain America 2.
And Hulk.
And Thor.
>>
>>82540992
thing is Iron Man is like a giant child who just needs supervision, while with Bucky if someone says a few russian words they can convince him to go on a killing spree
>>
>>82543672
Even in full control of his actions, Tony has killed more people than Bucky. And yet at least Bucky is the one that owns up and puts himself in the corner. All it takes to make Stark go apeshit is triggering some of his ptsd or daddy issues. Stark needs to stop, knows he should stop, lost his relationship over it, and admitted he just doesn't want to.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 600x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 600x395
Seems like Tony knew he fucked the moment Ross assumed control of the Avengers' deployment. I guess he knew that would happen but it wasn't until he was actually under Ross's thumb that he knew he had fucked up but was too proud to admit it? Maybe it was good for him to relinquish control, though, just for a while. Except it resulted in Rhodey's accident, but barring that it was good that he got some relief from his responsibilities.
>>
>>82543672
>Iron Man is like a giant child
some kinda...iron giant?
>>
>>82540794
Tony is trying to do what's right.
> But his controlling and passive aggressiveness mess that up.

Cap is trying to do what's right.
> But his inflexibility and narrow idealism mess that up.
>>
>>82540344
In the Cinematic Universe, he's just a guy trying to help
He was right in Civil War, but the politics of the movie was obviously like, a very small side point so its not like it matters anyway, especially since the entire thing was dropped for 'muh bucky'
>>
>>82540794
He has severe PTSD from various sources, and guilt for creating ultron. Being the twat that he is, he decided everybody had to get fucked even though he was the problem.
>>
>>82540344
He always tries to do the right thing, but it always blows up in his face. I like the character and root for him.

I want him to find some happiness, but the movies seem determined to shit on him as much as possible
>>
>>82540983

I thought the reason for him building all the suits originally was to keep him busy and keep his mind of all the bullshit he had been dealing with during the Avengers battle.
>>
>>82544255
He's MCU Pym, basically. Best accidenal villain.
>>
I'm rather enjoying the story arc they're giving him.

He's gone from a man who trusted only himself, and held self motivation as one of his highest ideals, giving the middle finger to the government...

...to a man who has literally become the Man, the authority he once gleefully reviled...and all because of self doubt and fear, brought gradually by the consequences of all their actions and by the vision he saw during the previous two Avengers films. Remember, Tony is still the only one on Earth who has any idea of whats coming from space.

That fear's started causing him to compromise himself, and everything he stood for because ultimately his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness and his own hubris: his self motivation. You can call it confidence, ego, it's the thing that makes him so formidable but it's also clouding his judgement. He wants to do whats best, and he knows whats coming, but he's fundamentally an arrogant man trying not to be arrogant and do the right thing, and its been a messy trip.

And now he runs the Avengers, something he didn't want years ago, but its his responsibility now.
>>
>>82540567
I seriously hope Ross becomes Red Hulk and causes similar trouble so that when he says they should all be jailed they ask if he should be in jail too and then decide to let the matter drop.
>>
>>82540540
>At the airport they needed to go deal with the frozen Winter Soldiers
except cap was wrong about that.
>>
Deeply flawed, but I think the way the MCU's handling him is really interesting. Its doing a good job of bringing out the best and worst traits of Tony Stark as a character.
>>
>>82544319
Except Pym was never an egotistical asshole about the things he did, and he tried to make up for them.

Tony is so concerned with being right all the time that he never stops to consider his actions. And once he finally grows a conscience, all he wants is for someone else to take the blame for his actions because he's to much of a fucking coward to live with his mistakes.
>>
>>82544328
Shit, I think most people forgot that he saw the destruction Thanos was going to bring to Earth.

He is just scared, and the Avengers are his family, he doesnt want to lose them.

I think Spidey is going to be a big source of healing for him
>>
>>82540601
The Raft has been in the MCU for years now.
>>
>>82540344

I think he was right and Cap was wrong. Cap got fucking lucky that it wasn't Bucky
>>
I honestly didn't like that Cap didn't even read the accords and said "Only I can take in Bucky without being killed" that combined with him completely setting himself above another countries laws made him incredibly arrogant
>>
>>82540544
>well-written (and true) comment
>zero replies on /co/
it's nice to see my notion of /co/ confirmed sometimes
>>
I wish he was actually a good guy instead of a fucking asshole. I really like Iron Man, but good lord I fucking despise Tony Stark
>>
I think the fact he's become such a divisive character in these comments means without a doubt they're still doing him so right.
>>
>>82540344
He honestly wasn't really in the wrong that much. Cap's shitfit about Wanda being in captivity wasn't really needed, it was basically just house arrest, and most likely temporary so they could get her better control of her powers, until they decided to break her out to help them so they could drag her into the fight, and Vision was absolutely right about them never stopping being afraid of her if she broke out, as shown by the straightjacket they put her in at the end.
>>
MCU Tony currently is NOTHING compared to how much of a dick he was during the original comic book Civil War. I actually had a feeling they'd try to tone that aspect of him down and still leave some small room for being heroic, or at least more justifiable in some of his actions at least.

He was just Machiavellian during the comic book run. If it weren't for that first movie practically rebirthing the character and RDJ's depiction bringing his character back to a bit more of a balanced sum of his good and bad traits, he'd be an even more universally reviled character.

Some of you newer guys should have seen how reviled he was during the original comic run on here, it was mesmerizing. At least in the new movie, his actions are a bit more debatable, coming across as more of a flawed hero trying to do the right thing but having his vision be compromised by his own pathos conflicting arrogance, and his final outburst near the end at least having a strong catalyst other than his ego.
>>
>>82544703
>he saw the destruction Thanos was going to bring to Earth
when was this?
>>
>>82545151
Age of Ultron
>>
>>82545151
In the pool during Ultron.
>>
>>82545091
Tony
>She wants to be there, its safe

Even though she didn't want to be there, and hardly needed any dragging into anything.

But Tony literally did nothing wrong.
>>
>>82545166
>>82545163
Ah, that's right. Thank you.
>>
>>82545131
Is he still an alcoholic in MCU?? That's one of the things I kinda felt MCU lost teeth on.
>>
>>82545182
old coffee
>>
>>82544255
>>Supporting charcter in the up coming Spider Man movie.
>>Mentors Peter, provides technological support.
>>Instead, ends up learning what being a hero means from Peter.

I want to believe.
>>
>>82545182
He seems to like booze but he's never shown having a problem. In fact, he only seems to drink in social situations, and the only time he's seen piss-drunk are in Iron Man 2 where he was acting like a jackass while he was dying and in a flashback in Iron Man 3. 90% of the time, he's pretty sober.
>>
Tony wasn't wrong about a lot, but the way he went about a lot of it was arrogant, and naive. He didn't take a lot of things into account, and rushed things at the behest of some obviously crooked and corrupt suits. He's dealt with all of that before, so he should know better.

He's like someone said, being driven by increasing fear over both his vision of Thanos' army, and of his growing conscience, something he's rarely had to deal with in his life before until he became Iron Man.

Yes, Cap made some mistakes too, but he was still defending his friend who had been marked for death almost suspiciously quickly. What else could he do? His biggest mistake was not telling Tony the truth about his parents, but that's besides the point.

Bottom line, Tony had the right idea, but in his guilt riddled arrogance he caved in to the incompetent hastiness of the government and it just fucked everything up. Cap showed he was at least willing to go with it if it were adjusted and better thought out but Stark wanted to rush it, and all at the behest of people he should be trusting the least.

He wasn't wrong per se, but the way he went about it was all wrong and indicative of his arrogance and ultimately his naitivity and I think he realizes that by the end.
>>
>>82540344
I feel sorry for the guy. He was wrong, but he wanted to do better.
>>
>>82545271
I think Tony's terrified of himself now, to some extent. He wants to help. He DESPERATELY wants to help, to make amends. But every time he tries, he just makes things worse. He doesn't trust his own judgment anymore. I don't think he even believes he's really capable of making the right call anymore. Most of what he does in CACW is just damage control. He wants to keep the damage to a minimum as much as possible and everything he does is to that end. His only real wish is to keep everyone alive, together and in the black.
>>
>>82540794
Tony doesn't trust his own judgment the way he did in Iron Man 2 anymore. He heard that someone was willing to take that responsibility away from him and jumped at the chance.

It's interesting that Steve, who wanted more than anything to be a soldier, trusts his government less than Tony, who used to flip off senators regularly and operated outside of any legal system. Experience certainly changed their perspectives.
>>
>>82545335
steve wanting to be a soldier was more about being able to do the right thing. That's the reason why Erskine chose him.
>>
Tony did plenty wrong.

He should have been THE first one to point out how weirdly convenient it was for them to get a picture of Bucky that quickly, and furthermore bring up questions when Bucky, who he knows is Cap's former comrade, was condemned to be "shot on sight" over such flimsy evidence. This is the guy who hijacked the Shield Heli-carrier computer on his own to discover Fury and SHIELDS' true agenda, and gave the government the middle finger when they wanted the Iron Man suit and all his technology be given to the government.

Of all the characters, he should have been asking the most questions about the situation but he didn't. He, like others said, is being more and more emotionally compromised by his fear of what's coming, and in that fear and the growing guilt, hastily wanted the registration to pass and basically made that decision for everyone, in his head.

Yes, fundamentally he had the right idea, but he wasn't 100% right. Of all the characters, he should have known better than to blindly trust government judgement. Its incredibly ironic.

I think its great as far as his story arc goes, but I wont have any of this "Tony did nothing wrong boohoo" stuff because he wasn't wrong, but he didn't make the situation better. Neither did Cap, but it was either stand by and watch his friend die over clearly bogus information, or fight.
>>
>>82545361
His intentions haven't changed much. His views about how to accomplish them are somewhat different after Winter Soldier, though.
>>
>>82540344
Best silver screen adaptation of Lex Luthor.
>>
OKAY WAIT. I need to be spoiled as I'm not gonna wait to go see it to know the dealio. Who was right from the movies perspective, Cap or Stark?
>>
>>82545374
He wasn't trying to kill Bucky though. He was trying to bring him in. Tony only wanted Bucky dead after he learned that Bucky was the one who killed his parents.
>>
>>82545395
The movie doesn't really take sides. Cap's the protagonist, but the pro-Accords side gives very valid reasoning as well.

Ultimately, though, it was all just a scheme by Zemo to get the Avengers to kill each other, so Cap was right primarily by accident.
>>
>>82545395
Hoo, boy. That's a doozy. I honestly think you're better off just seeing the movie and deciding for yourself.
>>
>>82545409
Thanks.
>>
>>82545335

Thats what makes it interesting though.

ESPECIALLY what happened after Winter Soldier, it makes sense that Steve, the soldier who's literally America's mascot, would have a newfound distrust or at least automatic questioning of authority, knowing now full well and fresh that "they could have agendas".

Meanwhile Tony, who started out fiercely independant and with a healthy distrust of authority and government, has come a near full 180 degrees and become an extension of the man, asking far fewer questions than he would have in the past. Which too, makes sense in the context of where his character's gone, a man waking up to more and more consequences of both his and others' actions.

I think that ironic switching-roles of their characters' story arcs have been pretty well done in the MCU.
>>
>>82545395
Depends on which issue you're discussing. In the conflict about Bucky, Cap was completely right, though he didn't know everything about why. As for the Sokovia Accords, a final judgment wasn't given. The matter is still open to debate as of the movie's ending.
>>
>>82545409
>Ultimately, though, it was all just a scheme by Zemo to get the Avengers to kill each other
The accords weren't though. They seemed to stem more from the Avengers' actions themselves. It's just the fact that their ideological conflicts came to a head that was Zemo's fault.
>>
>>82545426
Oh, I completely agree. After seeing Civil War I'm very interested in where these characters will end up and how they'll resolve all the problems that were created by Zemo's actions.

And speaking as someone who admittedly doesn't know the source material well, Zemo was a refreshingly different type of villain. We've seen dozens of costumed psychopaths. Seeing an ordinary man who wasn't even that evil set out to destroy the Avengers just made the movie's themes about the collateral damage they cause hit harder. I only hope the Russos can handle a more comic-style antagonist once the time comes for it. Most of their villains so far have been on the realistic side, with the exception of Zola and maybe Rumlow. I'm curious about how well they'll do with Thanos.
>>
>>82544311

No he meant that he quit wearing the armor in IM3 to start fixing his life or some such but is back to wearing it again in Age of Ultron without any explanation. Civil War has Stark mentioning those events briefly along with his current relationship status with Pepper.
>>
>>82540344
>What do you think of Tony Stank?

MCU is pretty cool. He is an arrogant, and sometimes odious character, but basically good and really motivated by the desire to do good thing. He's even the character who more than anyone in the CU has grown, for the good or for the bad.

His armor are fantastic and his inventions often ingenious.

Not a role of model, but a character that can pull off a lot of fun in his stories.
>>
>>82546275
I forgot to say that the Tony comic after Millar, Hickman and Superior has become illegible to me. It's okay to be an ass for some fun in stories, but in the comics, Tony has gone too far before the reboot.
>>
>>82540344
Literally did nothing wrong.
>>
>>82540344

Probably the most complex character in the MCU by far.
>>
>>82540499

100% agree.

Tony had more depth than he's ever had and RDJ acted circles around everyone else.
>>
>>82545395

I think the movie almost forces the audience to agree with Cap, but it backfired and he seemed too self righteous, so I ended up agreeing with Tony.
>>
>>82545395
Nobody.
>>
>>82540344
he hasnt been this likable since avengers 1 or the first iron man
cap and him were both right
MCU CW> 616 CW
>>
>>82546513
>MCU CW> 616 CW
Well, not like that's hard.
>>
>>82540344
He's entertaining.
>>
File: smile pain.jpg (437 KB, 500x749) Image search: [Google]
smile pain.jpg
437 KB, 500x749
>spidey and him
>>
>>82540499
I thought the way he conveyed his internal struggle and his frustration at finding the best middle ground just to have rodgers do his own thing was the most believable we've seen him
His panic attacks and having the shit kicked out of him in IM3 was the next best thing but it still pales in comparison
>>
remember in the context of the MCU, the guy was just a really smart business man until 8 (I'm guessing) years ago. Not a trained soldier with years of experience or a demi god.

Just think about how much this guy's gone through in those 8 years, how much his life has forcefully changed, the sheer number of near death experiences and on top of all that, even passing knowledge of some terrible threat no one else knows about.

Its a wonder he hasn't had a nervous breakdown yet, but I really like that they show him teetering on that edge. Kind of brings back the question of whether he truly had any idea of what he was getting into when he passively reveals himself to the world in the first movie all those years ago.
>>
>>82540344

As a Person(your official question):
He amuses me. I like him.

What he represents in Civil War (what you/we really mean):
Symbol of Fascism/National Security. This is the man who had to had to divert a oversight-commisioned Nuke - did we see any repercussion from that?

What Marvel thinks of him, and believes how we'll see him:
He's on the wrong side. How do we know/prove it: his side will have the upper-hand throughout the franchise arc(classic storytelling trademark for 'baddies').
>>
File: image.jpg (381 KB, 900x674) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
381 KB, 900x674
>>82540344
He's a bitch
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.