[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a simple question /co/. How did the Cal Arts noodle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
File: WDF_2185509.jpg (447 KB, 1898x1068) Image search: [Google]
WDF_2185509.jpg
447 KB, 1898x1068
I have a simple question /co/.

How did the Cal Arts noodle arm style of animation start? Why did it take over cartoons over night? Why are art school rejects being given jobs as animators?

>Pic very much related
>>
File: 1461011183203.png (165 KB, 250x323) Image search: [Google]
1461011183203.png
165 KB, 250x323
>>82533426
> Why does cancer spread throughout a body?
>>
File: 1427738923500s.jpg (3 KB, 125x118) Image search: [Google]
1427738923500s.jpg
3 KB, 125x118
>>82533426

Why does everyone give so much shit on Cal Arts style of animation anyhow?
>>
>>82533536
Calarts is the moeshit of the west
>>
>>82533570
>moeshit
fuck off
>>
It took cartoons over because Adventure Time made A LOT of money for lower production prices than expected. It's that simple.
>>
It's so they don't have to spend time on linework
>>
File: greatscott.png (15 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
greatscott.png
15 KB, 225x225
>>82533536
I'm not sure myself
>>
>>82533426
>Why are art school rejects being given jobs as animators?
they're not rejects, the standards for who is considered to have learned have changed
>>
>>82533426
Videogames hit the mainstream.
Mobile gaming takes off.
Streaming video.
Letsplayers.
Minecraft.
>Oh hey, why aren't kids watching cartoons?
They're playing the halo-fields or watching a person play the minecrafts.
Cartoons are for kids so it isn't like the US culture itself killed cartoons by not passing off a love for them to the next generation or adapting them for a more mature audience.
Lets find a bunch of liberal arts students working the fryer and offer them a job drawing frames for a cartoon.
>But they don't have any talent, they wasted thousands of their parents money and got lots of debt by making paper-mache men jacking-off into their own mouth?
Doesn't matter, just make the cartoon so ugly and primitive even a liberal arts student could make it.

>>82533536
Because it sux dix.
>>
>>82533426
The noodle arm thing didn't start at CalArts, it's been around since at least Steam Boat Willie. Most classic cartoons from that era had noodly goofy arms. Adventure Time's animation of arms was a throwback to that classic style. Then this happened >>82533647

Whatever the next 'big hit' does is what everyone else will copy.
>>
>>82533536
CalArts has hold a monopoly on western animation for decades. It's only now that they've turned complacent that it shows.
>>
File: dsfggsd.jpg (54 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
dsfggsd.jpg
54 KB, 640x360
i hate the fact that the majority of CN shows today don't have any difference in line work, it all looks like it's made with the line tool on flash.
It's like every show is made by the same guy.
>>
File: Worst kind of autistic.gif (353 KB, 300x165) Image search: [Google]
Worst kind of autistic.gif
353 KB, 300x165
The thing with noodles and digital coloring is you lose shading details. But that's something 99% of viewers won't notice or care about.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.