[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, lemme get this straight. They keep Aurora safe in the woods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10
So, lemme get this straight. They keep Aurora safe in the woods for 16 years, up until the DAY that she's fated to prick her finger, and they don't wait until the day is over to take her back to the castle?

Presumably if she's physically unable to reach a spinning wheel, one won't magically appear in front of her, and the curse won't work. If one would just appear out of thin air in front of her by the end of her birthday, then it wouldn't matter if she was out in the woods anyway, so keeping her away from home would've been pointless.

Did fate cause everyone to do the stupidest thing they could've done? Was it the Force?
>>
>>82481497
>Was it the force?
That's not how the force works
>>
>>82481497
Yeah, they're bad at thier jobs.
>>
The moral of the story is that women are incompetent emotional wrecks.
>>
>>82482018
ok
>>
>>82481497
What was the exact wording for the curse? Was it specifoc to her 16th and only the 16th birthday, or would the wording imply that she'd be under magical compulsion to fuck around with spinning wheels until it happened once she reached her 16th?
>>
>>82482409
>The princess shall indeed grow in grace and beauty, beloved by all who know her. But, before the sun sets on her sixteenth birthday, she shall prick her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel and die.
>>
>>82482471
Okay, yeah, that's what I thought i might be.
Not the best curse in the world, makes me wonder if Maleficent even expected it to work.
>>
File: 1437089764988.jpg (158 KB, 583x581) Image search: [Google]
1437089764988.jpg
158 KB, 583x581
Not getting the cursed removed.
>>
>>82482688
That is explained. The fairies aren't powerful enough- Merryweather is only able to change the curse, not lift it.
>>
>>82481497
>Did fate cause everyone to do the stupidest thing they could've done?
Pretty much. That's how fate tends to work in myths and fairy stories
>>
>>82482779
Don't forget she was also able to cause it in the first place by mouthing off at Maleficent.
>>
>>82482905
Isn't the fable for this more depressing or at least confusing? This spell froze time and left a kingdom in the shadows almost forgotten.
>>
What if they had simply told her the truth from childhood? What if they had raised her to wear gloves?
>>
>>82481497
It's fate, she was bound to prick her finger eventually.
>>
>>82483638
The curse specifically says 'before the sun sets on her 16th birthday'.
>>
Just cut off her arms while she's still young.
>>
>>82483823
Right, but it seems more like a hostile prophecy than a curse.
>>
>>82481497
Point is that you can't go against destiny, so don't even try.
Accept your life and don't hope for anything better.
>>
>>82482403
He's not wrong, the entire plot hinges on a woman being mad for not being invited to a party she didn't want to go to.
>>
>>82481497
the bird discovered them, they had to move her quickly, otherwise maleficent was going to descend on their cottage and they'd have no defense.
until they were discovered they werent planning on moving her to the castle THAT DAY, just giving her a big birthday bash.. which got them caught
>>
>>82485215
It was politics thing. This wasn't high school dance and get drunk party it was important royal occasion. Not inviting someone to that makes an official statement, and you don't fuck with people who can turn into a dragon.
>>
>>82482602
I reckon she was hoping people would misunderstand and not try to guard her UNTIL her 16th, and she was going to straight up kill her as a curious toddler wandering into a spinning wheel
what's hilarious is, even though they moved her to live with fairies, they still burned every spinning wheel in the kingdom. the end should have shown their clothes all in horrible ragged state with no spinning for almost 16 years. wouldve been yet another good excuse for a nudist princess. but nooo we've gotta wait for all the races and orientations to get their representation first.
>>
>>82485312
basically it's like when a scary black guy gets mad at you for being scared of him merely for being a scary black guy, so he threatens your family.
>>
>>82485381
No, it's like publicly ignoring one powerful side while siding with another the first one is opposed to, they had no reason to think she would do anything if invited, besides probably not showing up at all. If they didn't invite any fairies she probably wouldn't care about that either. This isn't your shitty neighbourhood it's royal politics.
>>
>>82485486
that's not in the versions of it i've seen/read. they didnt invite her because she's scary, and getting her attention at all is dangerous
but they did invite the good fairies, so that made her jelly and/or gave her an excuse to show up and PRETEND to be offended as pretense to fuck with humans
funny thing about that retarded movie Maleficent is... this kind of being IS something humans should band together to slay. an all-powerful demoness that has nothing better to do but to torment people, who isn't adequately held in check by the fair folk
>>
>>82481497
Why they didn't just warned her about the wheel?

Self awareness woud make all this plot pointless
>>
>>82485626
Because that would make sense.
>>
>>82485679
Unlike women.
>>
>>82485626
>>82483559
and for her first 5-6 years when she's a little kid and almost certain to eventually wander around and prick her finger? even without a death curse, you wanna keep kids away from those with something stronger than a suggestion
and we have a fucking evil fairy witch floating around ready to fuck with her. hypnotize her if needed. as we saw later she has no compunction against that
>>
>>82485710
Riiight.
>>
>>82481497
YOU ALL REALIZE THAT THE SPINNING WHEEL IS A METAPHOR, RIGHT?

MALEIFICENT STRAIGHT UP CURSED AURORA WITH "BITCH BE SO HOT, THAT SHE GONNA GET RAPED BEFORE SHE'S SIXTEEN."

THAT'S WHY SHE'S LIVING IN THE FOREST WITH THREE DRY OLD LADIES. SO SHE CAN'T GET RAPED BY THE MEN OF THE LAND (INCLUDING THE KING).

THE CULLING OF THE SPINNING WHEELS WAS ACTUALLY THE KING CASTRATING THE MALE POPULATION.

UNFORTUNATELY, AURORA GOT INTO THOSE OLD FAIRIES DILDO BOX, AND RAPED HERSELF, RESULTING IN A CATONIC SHOCK DUE TO THE FORCE OF HER WOMANHOOD BEING TAKEN.

IT TOOK A REAL, HUMAN DICK, WITH WARTH AND STIFFNESS, TO KNOCK THAT DIZZY BITCH OUT OF HER COMA AND STRAT PUMPING OUT CHILDREN TO REVITALIZE A KINGDOM'S WHOSE POPULATION HAD BEEN DECIMATE BY THE KING'S SHORTSIGHTEDNESS.
>>
>>82486137
i'm finding this pretty hard to disagree with
but wouldnt sixteen be kinda old
>>
>>82485215

It's not that she didn't want to go, she was feigning disinterest so she could gatecrash and keep her reputation up.

She was probably gonna give Aurora a really kickass gift if they were cool with her just hanging out at the party, too.
>>
>>82486680
they did treat her pretty nicely, though in a 'please leave before you kill us' way.. which she SEEMS to be okay with.. obvioushy if she doesn't like being feared she's doing a shitty job of expressing that. though it might be a reputation she daren't deny yet secretly resents

in any case it was that fat fuck's fault anyway. worst fairy. though best taste in color
>>
>>82481497

just have her wear metal gloves all day on her 16th birthday.
>>
>>82486796
see, you'd have fallen for it.
it says BEFORE. meaning anytime before
that said, yeah, metal gloves are a lot less drastic a solution than 'being raised in the fucking woods by three people' i mean i dont care who those three people are, they cant possibly prepare you for real life socializing.. not that being royalty does either. christ imagine her freakout the first time she saw philip's little phil

but again, maleficent is fine with cheating to fulfill her curse, so they did have to fucking hide her

i would have just gone on a quest for stronger magical beings to fight her. and if you cant find them, just resign yourself to dying.. because it's happening, eventually, one way or another. Oh, you got around my curse, eh? all it took you was destroying an entire industry, and raising your daughter far away from you.. okay, now i've decided the curse is she dies right now. because i'm fucking maleficent and you cant do shit to stop me
>>
>>82481497
I was more bothered with the fact that the curse was esoteric as fuck, or at least as far as class is involved.

1) Prick your finger on a spinning wheel? Da fuck? Why not something infinitely more common, like "Bitch gonna crack her skull open and the brains are gonna spill out, like she gonna fall down the stairs or get bucked off a horse or some shit, you can't prevent that."

2) Spinning wheels are the tools of common women who have to work for a living. Why the hell would a princess ever touch a spinning wheel in the first place? Why not something more emabrassing like she'll die if she puts jewerlly on, so she always looks poor and homely and the king can marry her off to no one.
>>
>>82481821
Go back to sleep, Han
>>
>>82485546
>that's not in the versions of it i've seen/read.
>they didnt invite her because she's scary, and getting her attention at all is dangerous

What version would that be? Because none of the established versions of the fairy tale suggest that, and the Disney film doesn't either.
>>
>>82486908
actually i think you may have hit it on the head. the PRINCESS who has just gotten a bunch of fairy gifts purely because she was born rich and pretty, is going to die in a way befitting the kind of person who is frequently left out of important parties, just as maleficent was left out.
she probably planned to force it to happen all along, at no point was it going to happen on its own, in some ironic or prophecyish way.
>>
>>82486908
They're fairies man. Fair folk always gotta do shit in roundabout weird ways.
>>
>>82487014
it did though
>>
>>82486908
>Spinning wheels are the tools of common women who have to work for a living. Why the hell would a princess ever touch a spinning wheel in the first place?

Princesses and aristocratic women would have been expected to know how to use spinning wheels, repair clothing, create lace, embroider, etc, even if they didn't necessarily do all of those things to excess. Using spinning wheels was even a past time for some aristocratic women.

From a journal article about Jane Austen's time, but true for upper class women in Europe for several centuries

>The unlikely accomplishment of spinning had been a social skill practiced at the highest levels of society, probably because the parlor spinning wheels which the socially prominent operated were beautifully wrought and highly decorative. (In Jane Austen’s letters, we find Austen commenting to her sister regarding a proposed gift of a spinning-wheel, which she refuses because of the sense of identification of the fine tools of women’s work with their owners [Selwyn 68].) Further, a woman’s ability to create a smooth sewing thread was considered a remarkable accomplishment.
>>
>>82487101
The only thing in the film is that Merryweather says "You weren't wanted!" and the queen says "And, you're not offended, your excellency?"

There's nothing to imply specifically why she wasn't invited, or that they thought giving her attention was dangerous.
>>
>>82487186
so is there a reason the spindle has to be so fucking sharp? isnt it basically like, what you put the spool of thread on? except at first there was no spool for the thread, so you wound the thread directly onto the spindle?
>>
>the creepy music from the scene where Aurora is called into the room with the spinning wheel was originally used during a scene with two cats chasing each other around in the original ballet

Ballet: not even once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omIZgkAPsPU
>>
File: 11-spindle.jpg (80 KB, 729x547) Image search: [Google]
11-spindle.jpg
80 KB, 729x547
>>82487271
It actually depends on the type of spindle and what you're making. Traditional spindles used on spinning wheels are almost never sharp.. Manual spindles, however, can be sharp enough to draw blood if you're not careful. Pic related.

In the original French version and German version, she is cursed to prick her finger on a spindle, not a spinning wheel. I wonder if Disney was the first to make it a spinning wheel specifically, and it bled into the popular image of the fairytale? Huh. Something to research.
>>
>>82487499
wait what? what is a spindle except that thing on a spinning wheel? you're speaking like there are ones that exist independently
>>
>>82485282
That seems like a reasonable explanation, but did they actually know that the bird found them? I'd need to rewatch the scene.
>>
>/co/ - Monarchic Court Politics
>>
>>82487719
i thought we were talking about seelie court politics
>>
File: Giotto_di_Bondone_041.jpg (798 KB, 2024x2461) Image search: [Google]
Giotto_di_Bondone_041.jpg
798 KB, 2024x2461
>>82487555
There are! Spindles were independent tools first. They were used, usually along with other tools to make things easier (like a distaff to hold your raw materials) to make all sorts of fabrics. Pic related: spindle is on the left, distaff on the right.

Hand spinning was used before spinning wheels--though actually after since it wasn't until the 18th and 19th centuries that spinning wheel technology developed enough to adapt to most types of materials, at least in Europe, so hand spinning was still common for certain things through then. I know India and China(I think China?) used spinning wheels centuries before Europeans did, and even then the Europeans were slow to adapt.
>>
>>82487828
so that's what a distaff is
>>
>>82485282
They were not aware that the raven had discovered them.
>>
>>82487878
that's how i remember it. they were all 'oh fuck oh fuck we're fucked we gotta go'

oh wait, was it the PRINCE they were scared of?
>>
>>82487928
Yeah, they thought he was some random guy who would cockblock the prince.
>>
>>82488123
ohh okay. so really the prince kinda saved them without knowing it
though if they had met him, knew who he was, let him stick around.. bodyguard aurora.. it might have actually gone more smoothly.
>>
File: snail.jpg (15 KB, 180x158) Image search: [Google]
snail.jpg
15 KB, 180x158
>>82481497
Why not chop her hands off, so she has no fingers if the kingdom is at stake?
>>
File: 1462239680040.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1462239680040.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
>>82487828
Poor Gioto, his work is so much uglier than everything before or after it.

He's only important now because of the works he pioneered, just like early CG.
>>
>>82488176
>maleficent digs up hands
>pricks with spinning wheel
>ded
>>
why did they make the fairies incredibly unbearable in the maleficent movie
>>
File: owl.jpg (334 KB, 591x1218) Image search: [Google]
owl.jpg
334 KB, 591x1218
>>82488382
So incinerate them.
>>
Didn't the king also, instead of destroying all the spinning wheels, toss literally every single one of them into a storage room that the princess eventually wandered into?
>>
>>82488465
maleficent starts poking any ash with a spindle
"prove this isn't the right ash"
>>82488404
you really have to ask?
>>
>>82488503
it looked to me like he burned them but there was one left in someone's junk room
>>
>>82488511
i'm still disappointed
>>
File: Tumblr_nm5jt2AQZk1qff6qbo1_500.png (528 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
Tumblr_nm5jt2AQZk1qff6qbo1_500.png
528 KB, 500x738
>>82488465
>"Haha Maleficent! No hands mean no curse! I win!"
>"...you have no hands now."

>hfw
>>
File: laughing meateaters.jpg (36 KB, 393x391) Image search: [Google]
laughing meateaters.jpg
36 KB, 393x391
>>82486137
This sounds almost too true.
>>
File: dumbo1.jpg (105 KB, 422x931) Image search: [Google]
dumbo1.jpg
105 KB, 422x931
>>82488511
The ash isn't getting pricked, though. Just kind of stirred. If it can't bleed, it can't be pricked.
>>
>>82488860
It's the entire kingdom at stake.
>>
>>82488875
alright you win, purely because of that adorable picture
>>
>>82482471
Why use something so specific, though? It would have been much more powerful to just say that she'll die from picking her finger, because then no one could tell exactly what might cause her to prick herself. Why give people time to prepare for your curse by making things specific and arbitrary?

And for that matter, if she's powerful enough to make something relatively harmless kill a girl, why not just send something really lethal to kill her? Maleficent could just as easily have said, "before the sun sets on her sixteenth birthday, she shall become infected with Ebola and die."
>>
>>82490438
she wanted to fuck with them, dude. that's obvious.
>>
>>82490438
Nah man, curses are more powerful the more specific they are
>>
>>82491197
yeah. basically you reinforce your fucking-up of natural forces by tying some totally non-supernatural shit in
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.