[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>makes fun of cape shit like he knows what's best >makes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: chronicle.jpg (358 KB, 1026x1475) Image search: [Google]
chronicle.jpg
358 KB, 1026x1475
>makes fun of cape shit like he knows what's best
>makes a bunch of "alternative movie pitches" as if he's some kind of screenplay genius

>his only movie that isn't shit is fucking found footage for no reason at all

Chronicle would be objectively better if he had ditched the forced as fuck "hiding behind a camera" gimmick, but he's shit at cinematography so he had to cover it up with something.
>>
The thing I dislike about Chronicle is that it becomes less about an examination of what do regular kids would do when gifted with extraordinary power and into a cliche battle of good vs evil.
>>
>>82471047

I think it's a great Villain origin movie, but the found footage thing completely ruins it for me.
>>
>>82470967
We talking about trank or Landis
>>
>>82470967
What's the general opinion on Landis's story Legit?
http://forgotten.faithweb.com/MaxLandis/legit00.htm

I thought it was pretty fun, myself.
>>
>>82471047
It seemed realistic to me desu

The two kids weren't good and evil, they were regular and asshole.
>>
>>82470967
Wasn't chronicle just a bad version of akira though
>>
the found footage is a good thing. The story is told in an epistolary fashion, and found footage is the perfect format for such a narrative. Furthermore, he broke the mold by much of it in a conventional "non-found footage" manner, by having the protagonist a camera buff who is intentionally levitating the camera.

Max Landis is smarter than you.
>>
>>82473540
Akira had a greater scope, it wasn't acclaimed just because the movie had amazing animation. The movie barely scratches the plot.
>>
>>82473151
Trank. Max doesn't really do cinematography
>>
File: Gobby.png (75 KB, 203x196) Image search: [Google]
Gobby.png
75 KB, 203x196
ᴵ'ᵐ ᵗʰᵉ ᵃᵖᵉˣ ᵖʳᵉᵈᵃᵗᵒʳ⋅⋅⋅
>>
>>82471047
It's a great movie for the first half

No idea what the fuck the last bit was
>>
>>82474229
Go to bed Randy
>>
File: 14583195868800.jpg (57 KB, 600x444) Image search: [Google]
14583195868800.jpg
57 KB, 600x444
>>82470967
>"alternative movie pitches"

i wonder when US jews will finally grow balls and admit that they do genocide in Ukraine..
>>
>>82470967
I thought the found footage aspect went pretty damn well with the movie. The different views at the climax like the traffic cams and cell phones were a neat touch.
>>
>>82475385
>>82473636

It's literally something a teen would think "WOAH, WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF THIS HAPPENED WITH THE CAMERA?"

It's not smart, it's annoying.

There were multiple scenes that strained my suspension of disbelief just because of the sheer forced nature of the "gotta record everything" gimmick.

>I'm super angry, ugh, I'm gonna have an spontaneous burst of rage!
>But let me turn on the camera seconds before that and place it in a neat angle! AAaaaaahhhgggg

The fact that the characters acknowledge that it's weird doesn't really make it any less retarded.
>>
>>82475385
This.
I like the pitch Landis has for a Found Footage Gremlins, where they steal the camera in the third act.
>>
>>82475385

it was better done than in cloverfield where one guy was filming everything while people were dying around him. Atleast in Chronicle the kid had the habit of carrying a camera around before he got his powers.
>>
>>82477096

Not at all. In Cloverfield it's a guy who was filming a party, and then this weird shit start to happen and he decides to document it, since he already has a camera. You know, like people do in real life when shit's going down and they have a camera in hand?

In Chronicle it's completely retarded, this kid is just filming himself ALL the time? It's forced as fuck.
>>
>>82470967
>the forced as fuck "hiding behind a camera" gimmick

This is literally one of the only "found" footage films that has a decent reason behind it.
>>
>>82477439

How is "oh I just film everything all the time" a good reason? It reeks of forced plot device.
>>
>>82477204
you may be filming if you see something that is not affecting you but when you are all in danger, just drop the fucking camera and do something, I remember how they were attacked by the aliens and he was filming it like a retard who can't understand that he and others are in danger.

In chronicle the kid was weird to begin with and almost had noone else other than himself, his camera was like a companion, that is why as he got his powers the camera was moving like it had a free will.
>>
File: Holy fucking shit.gif (2 MB, 322x385) Image search: [Google]
Holy fucking shit.gif
2 MB, 322x385
>>82470967
Given that you're talking about screenplays, I assume you're talking about Landis?

Most of his "alternative movie pitches" are him just bullshitting a story purely for fun. In a "wouldn't it be absolutely fucking mental if this ever became a film" sort of way. Don't take them too seriously man.

And if we are still talking about Landis, say what you want about his opinions on Superman or whatever, but he clearly knows his capeshit

Also Chronicle actually worked for me DESPITE being a found footage film, a genre that I fucking hate.

I can understand why people hate Max Landis, but you haven't given any decent reasons in the OP
>>
>>82477545
There are people like that in real life, who carry a camera with them daily for a year or more just for the hell of it.
>>
>>82477545
I know a bloke who films his journeys with a dashboard cam every time he drives.

I'm not saying it's not weird, but some people do do that shit.
>>
>>82477632

I don't hate Max, I just have a problem with his self-righteous attitude regarding hollywood screenplays and creativity, when his stories aren't any better.

For someone who thrashed Death and Return so passionately as him, I expected something a little more original than a low-budget akira adaptation.
>>
>>82473387
First half was great, second half was mary sue as fuck
>>82473540
>>82473732
Landis' has said before that it's more Carrie than Akira
>>
>>82477750
But he liked Death and Return, he's just able to recognise how batshit insane it is at times

And I wouldn't say he's self-righteous, he's just in the odd postion as a screen writer who actually has some degree of a public presence or persona. Most of him talking about screenwriting is basically him saying "It doesn't work the way you think it does" or "Hollywood doesn't work the way you think it does" or his own opinions as to why films don't get made or shitty films do, speaking as an inside man.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.