[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cyborg.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: Cyborg.jpg (69 KB, 628x621) Image search: [Google]
Cyborg.jpg
69 KB, 628x621
So my only really good experience with Cyborg comes from Teen Titans, and I was trying to find out more about when a thought occurred to me: What kind of power source do his metal parts use? In Teen Titans it's mentioned he has a "Power Cell", and he requires a power source to function, but I don't recall it being any more detailed than that, and my searches through the wiki and other such sites have revealed nothing more detailed than that. Can anyone explain what power source Cyborg's robot body parts use, and possibly point me to the comic where it is explained?
tl;dr: What powers Cyborg's robo-bits?
>>
Grape soda.
>>
>>82457575
The shit cartoon or the Marv Wolfman & George Perez comic? Or one of the 1990's-2000's or pre-New 52?
>>
File: Cyborg-teen-titans2.jpg (49 KB, 672x494) Image search: [Google]
Cyborg-teen-titans2.jpg
49 KB, 672x494
>>82457624
Sorry, pic-related cartoon was the one I saw the most of. I should have specified that. But any explanation of what powers his robo-bits will be acceptable.
>>
>>82457717
Read more of the comics since the cartoon is processed shit.
Just torrent them. Cyborg is more of a member of Teen Titans compared to Justice League though.
>>
>>82457575
a power cell is basically a battery. it can be charged by anything that produces electricity. he probably has multiple methods of doing that, including eating food, plugging into a wall outlet, whatever
>>
I'm going to let you in on something.
The power cell is not important at all.
It is for all intents an purposes a AA battery that runs on plot.
It like the rest of his look is just...old school tech grafted onto a human being. He's litterally the terminator+the bionic man.

Now if his tech was alien or special beyond SUPER SCIENCE and he had to deal with that in some way his power source would be expanded upon. But it's not, it's just his gimmick.
>>
>>82457834
I figured that much out, but for all he has going on, you'd think there would be more to it than that. Hence my question. Is there really no comic going into detail about his robot body? Like, his origin comics don't explain it anywhere? I read a summary of one origin story, but it just says his father replaced his parts with experimental stuff, not mentioning any power sources or anything.

>>82457821
And I realize you have opinions on the cartoon compared to the comics, but I have a very specific question about Cyborg, and don't want to read through all the comics for one single answer. If you have recommendations, then by all means, but I'm not asking which series is best, I'm asking for details regarding what powers him.
>>
>>82457855
See, that's what I was afraid of, and why I was asking. I wanted to know if he was just conveniently powered and would juice down if plot demanded it or whatever. I was trying to find something beyond that that might give some form of explanation. Is there really nothing like that?
>>
>>82457955
>>82458015
Nope. Not even the tech is that special or advanced. Not even his past is really interesting or well thought out or even spectacular in any way. It's really goddamned generic.

He's really just a character that is popular inspite of how generic his gimmick is.

Which is both a blessing and a curse. But mostly a blessing.

The curse is that there is no real pull for his super powered ability and he's generic.
The blessing is that anyone can do anything with it as long as his iconic look is mostly kept. He's kinda like batman in a way.
>>
>>82458278
Damn. Just runs on whatever. Well, thanks for the answer. I suppose that explains the lack of detail on him. My question has been answered, then. See you later, chaps.
>>
>>82457575
>What powers Cyborg's robo-bits?
BOO-YAH
>>
>>82457855
>Now if his tech was alien or special beyond SUPER SCIENCE
That's exactly what it is nowadays
>>
DC Comics’ Cyborg is my least favorite black character currently being published in comic books. He illustrates how the black body functions in a white supremacist framework and embodies so many different offensive stereotypes of black people that it is necessary to enumerate these characteristics as some of them may be missed by the casual reader, while others work as complicated dichotomies, masking the problematics beneath superficial attempts at “post-racial” inclusivity.

For the uninitiated, Cyborg (aka Victor Stone) was created by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez for their wildly successful 1980s revival The New Teen Titans. Back then, Cyborg was the black hero in a comic that mistook tokenism for diversity. He spent a great deal of time mourning his plight as an accident turned him from a star athlete into a human/machine hybrid. Even though this accident gave Cyborg powers beyond those of mere mortals, he considered himself a freak. All he wanted was to be a “regular” human being. The rest of his time was mostly spent secretly longing for a white woman, Sarah Simms, who teaches him how to love himself. During his emotional love affair with Simms, Stone was in a relationship with another woman, a black scientist by the name of Dr. Sarah Charles.
>>
Victor Stone whined and complained and was possessed of a great deal of self-pity, which seemed to be some sort of subtextual commentary on how white people feel about black people’s complaints regarding structural and social anti-black racism and white supremacy. Through Cyborg, the white gaze was able to position black people and our grievances against our circumstances as not only invalid and pitiful, but also as self-inflicted (Victor’s mother and father, Drs. Silas and Elinore Stone, experimented on their son and Silas was essentially responsible for the accident that required his son’s transformation). It was always, to me, even reading these books as a teenager, a deeply problematic view of the plight of black people (it was white people, after all, whoexperimented on black people in this country). But this view of black people as the source of our own suffering was to be expected; these were the Reagan years after all. But, for the most part, Cyborg was all black kids had. So we ate the scraps we were given.
>>
In the “New 52” retconning of the DC Universe, Cyborg is a founding member of the Justice League, the token minority replacing the former (imaginary) token minority, J’Onn J’Onzz, the Martian Manhunter, and sitting right alongside the token woman, Wonder Woman. This is no accident. For many white people, diversity and tokenism mean precisely the same thing, but beyond that, they are also looking for a particular brand of marginalized person to include; someone who will not disturb the existing state of affairs, who will operate, essentially, as a white, heterosexual, gender-conforming, middle-class man, but in slightly different drag. In his previous incarnation, it was unclear whether Cyborg was a fully functional, sexual being. In the New 52, it’s clear that Cyborg has no genitals. The accident that turned him into a cyborg has taken every bit of his flesh other than his torso, arms, neck, and head. Thus, it’s safe for him to be around Wonder Woman as he serves no sexual threat and no competition for Superman. (I should note that, at the same time, Wonder Woman loses her personhood to become the prize. Please watch the animated filmJustice League: War if you don’t believe me. You’ll see the male members of the team, except Cyborg of course, each attempt to call “dibs” on her—including the pubescent Billy Batson/Shazam.) This, to me, is the comic book version of the historical castrations that white supremacists often enacted against black men, of whose sexuality (which they exaggerated and demonized) they were enormously envious and frightened of. Cities in this country were bombed to oblivion on the word of lying white women falsely accusing black men of rape.
>>
>>82458534
It's been that multiple times.
As a matter of fact he spent a number of years as a sentient alien metal.
>>
At the same time, conversely, Cyborg serves in the racist mold of “the Buck.” So, of course he’s an athlete; of course he plays football. White supremacy must always find some “productive” use in black bodies, must always be able to capitalize off of our labor. Oftentimes, when white writers are attempting to write black characters, they rely on stereotypes because they can’t imagine black people as actual human beings. These are the creations of people who don’t know any/many black people, but have seen plenty of them at basketball games or on television, or maybe even had a beer with one once, and considers them a “friend.”

Cyborg is also the resident chauffeur, “Boom Tubing” the Justice League wherever they need to go—Hoke Colburn to the Justice League’s Miss Daisy. He is their digitized administrative assistant, interpreting and relaying data at their command, serving, actually, as their very means of communication—as much of a tool for the League as a cell phone or as enslaved black people were to the plantation owners of the American antebellum period. And the stereotypes don’t end there. He’s best friends with a young white boy (who transforms into the adult hero, Shazam), a relationship that is nothing more than an updated version of Jim and Huck from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, encompassing the same racist subtext that places black adults on the same emotional and psychological level as white children.
>>
Could Cyborg be the comic book superhero representation of white supremacy’s effect on the black body? To have a black person transformed from a metaphorical machine to an actual one? Whose fantasy is this? Cyborg has the distinct textual feel of some white person’s answer to the question: What would it be like to bring a lynched black person back to life? The problem is they’ve gotten it entirely wrong and I think that’s on purpose. They’d imagine that person being compliant, thankful, eager to please white people, and not a disruptive and liberating figure of rage? Mary Turner, her husband, and her baby, shaking the rafters of every house in America for nearly 100 years now, tell us a great deal about the aggrieved souls of lynched black folk. Compliant is not in their ghostly vocabulary. These haints mean business...

This, then, leaves black consumers once again deciding which is worse: bad representation or no representation at all. I don’t purport to have the answer to that quandary.
>>
>>82458579
>>82458604
>>82458623
>>82458659
>>82458687
What's this pasta from? I remember reading it before. Was it a BleedingCool thing?
>>
>>82458854
I think it's something that Desh guy reposted
>>
>>82458534
>>82458654
Which comics have it as alien tech? I might like to look those up.

>>82458579
>>82458604
>>82458623
>>82458659
>>82458687
Well, your explanation is well thought out and explained quite clearly, so I appreciate your input. It's clear that there is a lot of work done to Cyborg that you do not agree with, and I suppose I can understand, but not identify with, your position. It doesn't answer my question, though.
>>
Okay, but, milestone was a thing.
And every other super for a long time was an olympic level athlete.
And the things whole thing was bitching about how he was no longer a normal man..as a matter of fact, that was the thing for a massive chunk of super powered people.

The thing about him being the chauffeur? I don't know is he? Cause Jonn Jonzz was kind of that in JLU.

As for everyone laying claim to WW? That was there to push WW is the alpha bitch that all the dudes wanted to fuck/waifu up and was the baddest bad ass of them all. It wasn't there to make her meaningless object so much as it was to make her a priceless treasure that all the guys wanted and saw value in. Something that basically every woman wants, including the lesbians, and all of the guys will emulate...because their favorite male heroes are doing it.

Fact is, her entire character and background would make most men in reality see her as that manhating superman tier lesbian from the island of manhating lesbians that would murder any and all males, including babies and steer clear of her.
Like, walk huge circles around her to keep away from her or not show up if she was coming.

As for cyborg not having a dick...I honestly never thought about it. I've always saw him as a sexless character to emulate.

As for black characters, there was milestone but that just died. And a good chunk of the books were about innercity life and innercity gangs and talking about problems that I read comics to not think about.
>>
File: reaction77.jpg (18 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
reaction77.jpg
18 KB, 413x395
>>82458437
Underrated post
>>
>>82457575
God, not this shit again.
>>
>>82457575
Read that as
>tl;dr: What powers Cyborg's robo-tits?
>>
>>82457821
>Teen Titans
>bad

Salty faggot spotted
>>
>>82457821
>Read more of the comics since the cartoon is processed shit.
You say that as if every Teen Titans comic besides Wolfman/Perez's New Teen Titans hasn't been absolute fucking garbage.
>>
>>82458579
Shut up

>>82458278
New 52 has him being based on New God tech. That's why he can open Boom Tubes.
>>
>>82458579
>>82458604
>>82458623
>>82458659
>>82458687

Shieeeeeeeeeet I didn't read any of this
>>
>>82461131
Had him based on New Gods tech. He lost the New Gods based parts during Forever Evil.
>>
>>82458952
Ever since The New 52 Justice League his body's basically been a motherbox fused with human tech.
>>
File: royco.jpg (28 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
royco.jpg
28 KB, 500x333
>>82458687
>Mfw Cyborg is just a reinterpretation of John Henry's tale, but the machine turns to be himself.
>>
Can Cyborg have sex? Dude is missing his entire lower half, no?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.