[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a comic about an unparalleled super-powered being in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1450848292623.png (2 KB, 163x209) Image search: [Google]
1450848292623.png
2 KB, 163x209
Is there a comic about an unparalleled super-powered being in a world without super villains or cosmic threats.

Not like in the way dated comics were, where the good guys would round up the bank robbers and save people from disasters, but more of an examination of what do you do with superpowers when there's no struggle?

Modern superheroes, their power fluctuates with the kind of struggles they grapple with, but for the sake of plot there's always something putting their extraordinary power to the test. They are always given an opportunity to put their gifts to the test and that's what makes him heroes, the opportunity to defeat clear-cut "bad guys".

What about an Ubermensch in a world like ours? The only one of his kind. No evil-scientists with doom rays. No alien attacks. No radioactive-powered mutants. Just a single individual who stumbles into matchless power, like superman levels of power. Unstoppable by any and all conventional means. Does he even become a hero if there's no villain? Does power necessarily corrupt him? What does he do? What would ANYONE do if put in that position?

Hancock touches on this, but they end up muddying the premise by having super-powered bad guys to pit him against, Chronicle ends up going in the same route.
>>
>>82435584
There was a comic about a kid who gets Superman powers in the regular world (which has Superman in the same was we do)

The only people who had powers were him and his daughters, I think
>>
I remember one that I think fits the bill. It was by WildStorm and about a dude who could control machines becoming a hero, then a mayor.
>>
>>82435882
Superman Secret Identity. Go read it OP it's excellent.
>>
Not /co/, but Akira is kind of there.

There's the other kids but they don't do a whole hell of a lot.
>>
Also not /co/, but this is the exact premise of One Punch Man.
>>
>>82438459
>exact premise of One Punch Man.

No it isn't. He literally lives in a world full of superheroes.
>>
>>82435584
dr. Manhattan is kind of like this.
>>
>>82438650
Yes, but there are no challenges for him. Half of OP's point was that because of the equal power challenges presented to the hero, it takes away from their impact on regular human society.

Saitama has no challenges so he spends his days like everyone else: watching TV, buying groceries, working out, etc.
>>
>>82435584
Isn't that just Watchmen?

If you don't count the street level criminals, than all you ever get is Ozymandias dropping a giant mass of "alien" flesh on a city.

I mean shit, one of the heroes is a fucking space god for all sense of practicality.
>>
>>82435584
There's is a supplement for Wild Talent tabletop RPG called Progenitor which has that kind of setting.
One day a farmer's wife get every power in a flash of light. Just like that she's all powerful. The only twist is that this power is contagious, and anyone affected by one of her powers can develop powers too, and contaminate someone else etc etc. The first generation get half the power, the second quater etc etc...The contamination stops after a certain number of people, the higher gen you are, the lesser people you contaminate. You end up with a worold with 10 000 heroes with small power and a dozen extremely powerful people
>>
>>82435584
Watchmen is like that; New Universe/newuniverse were supposed to start out like that, which is part of why transplanting them to the main Marvel universe was just retarded; and I believe though I don't really remember it that well that Supreme Power: Hyperion deals with his origin in a universe like that. One of the Hyperions (forgive me, there's like 8 just in the main continuity) is definitely from a universe where he's the only super-powered being. He destroys it.
>>
>>82435584
You're kinda describing the first 2/3rds of The Watchmen.
>>
>>82438697
>>82440004
>>82440363

/thread
>>
>>82435584
A story with Superman as the only superpowered being in the 1930s world, and Lex Luthor trying to stop him (without any supertech): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10360716
>>
>>82435584
Civil War
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.