[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you read a page with a panel-layout like this? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: vertical panels.png (16 KB, 756x411) Image search: [Google]
vertical panels.png
16 KB, 756x411
How do you read a page with a panel-layout like this?

I'm working on a script right now, and it occurred to me that I almost never use vertical panels like this, because I've never understood how to approach them as a reader (unless there's some super obvious sequence of word-bubbles to guide the eye).

Thoughts?
>>
I always read the way on the right side. But I imagine that in most cases, the people who do this leave it ambiguous which one comes first (2 or 3 / 3 or 2).
>>
I read like the right side. Unless there's super obvious different flow
>>
>>82424094
>>82424137
Same here
>>
There was some chat about this on twitter last week. My conclusion is that generally you should just avoid that setup entirely but if there's a way that you can make it clear which order they should be read in (by increasing the gutter space, directing via art/letting, etc) then you can try it.

I don't think I have a particular preference how I would read it without art context too though. When I've run into it in actual comics it usually throws me off for a moment because it doesn't flow but it's usually not that hard to figure out.
>>
Right.
You should read the Scott McCloud books, he goes over panel layouts and such.
>>
Whenever I come across a layout like that, whatever way I initially THINK is the correct way to read it, is inevitably wrong.
>>
File: lone-wolf-and-cub-1618370[1].jpg (289 KB, 1200x873) Image search: [Google]
lone-wolf-and-cub-1618370[1].jpg
289 KB, 1200x873
I read it based on the direction that 1 flows.

Offset your panel borders if it matters.

And in some cases, you want it to flow simultaneously to 2 and 3 at the same time.

Pic related. It's a giseki koijimia pic I pulled up for the Frank Miller thread, but it's appropriate here.
>>
I always read it the way on the right, which is kinda standard practice. The issue though us that comic neophytes might get lost.

Frankly, I say use it sparingly. But there is always a good use for tall panels. But if I am doing a tall panel, I try to keep it on the left hand side of the page.
>>
File: panels.png (8 KB, 372x406) Image search: [Google]
panels.png
8 KB, 372x406
Think of it this way. In >>82424001 the right side makes most sense because if you flipped it horizontally, pic related is how you would read it.
>>
>>82424459

That's probably a good rule of thumb.
>>
>>82424193
You indicate order by having the contents of each panel direct the viewer's eye across the page.
>>
>>82424001
I always read it like the right side as well. I don't really remember seeing any comics with a layout like the left unless it had like arrows or something.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.