[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have a guide to start reading cosmic Marvel, not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
Does anyone have a guide to start reading cosmic Marvel, not DnA casual shit, the older stuff. I was reading some Warlock and it really got me interested in it. It's awesome.
>>
>>82421043
I dont have any specifics but read anything and everything by Jim Starlin ( Infinity Gauntlet and all of it's sequels) and Infinity Watch. Also classic Silver Surfer is awesome
>>
>>82421043
This desu. I need to read it.
>>82421251
Do you at least have Starlin's guide or are you completely useless?
>>
>>82421360
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Starlin%27s+guide
>>
File: DaffyDuckPWN.jpg (17 KB, 280x400) Image search: [Google]
DaffyDuckPWN.jpg
17 KB, 280x400
>>82421043
>DnA casual shit
No list for you.
>>
>>82421043
Look dude, don't hate on the Giffen/DnA era. It was hardly casual at the time of its writing and it really is good stuff. Nobody here hates it, in fact it was celebrated while it was running.

Just don't get trapped in the mindset that it's the be-all end-all to Cosmic Marvel. There's a lot of good shit out there. If you want more recommendations you'll probably need to be more specific. Sometimes Cosmic is about heroes struggling against all odds, other times it's about the fickleness of the Cosmic Abstracts and gets really heady.
>>
>>82421043
Try reading Star-Lord's original run. It's breddy gud
>>
>>82421470
I like DnA as much as anyone, but let's not pretend that it's not pretty mainstream entry-level stuff for Cosmic Marvel.
>>
>>82421519
>pretty mainstream entry-level stuff
You mean the creators weren't on drugs when they wrote and drew the books?
>>
>>82421519
Only because a movie followed it. Let's not pretend that retroactively makes it casual. At the time it was refreshing as hell to see the forgotten losers get their time to shine. Especially after years of Thanos stories, and what happened to poor Genis.
>>
>>82421607
>only because a movie followed it
No because
>>82421543
It's mainstream because it's the sort of thing a Blockbuster movie COULD be made out of it.
>>
>>82421043
If you only read the storytime, you'll want to read Avengers Annual 7 and then Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2, to see how Warlock's story ends (for a few decades).
If you're a fan of Starlin, you may like his Captain Marvel run. It technically takes place on Earth, but once Thanos appears, it gets trippy enough that you may like it anyway, although is starts off dull if you don't give a fuck about Rick Jones. I also recommend the rest of the series, because its better than I expected, given nobody on /co/ talks about Mar-Vell, although there's frequent Earth issues.
Obviously there's Silver Surfer and Quasar as well, but I haven't read those yet.
>>
File: Interested.png (186 KB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
Interested.png
186 KB, 426x240
>>82421678
>blockbuster movies
Bloody mainstream.
>>
>>82421678
That's silly. Have you even read the whole thing? Never mind that the movie had a mostly original plot drawing from multiple sources.
>>
>>82421982
>That's silly. Have you even read the whole thing?
Yes I have. Have you ever read any say, Starlin to compare it to? The ORIGINAL Rocket Raccoon series? Star-Lord's original solo series? Come back to me when you have some really out-there Cosmic shit to compare it to.
>>
>>82422056
>I liked Marvel Cosmic before it was cool
>>
>>82422056
Yes, on all counts. Rocket was hardly cosmic though having barely single mini and a crossover to his name. Starlord, while I love his classic stories dearly, wasn't even a part of 616 until the early 2000s.

And I don't know if you're aware, but Starlin's most famous work is about to be adapted into a "casual mainstream" movie. So I'm not really sure where you're going with that one. And again, the GOTG movie had an original plot and drew from multiple sources, something that confuses and annoys so-called casual fans of the DnA volume. Did you even pick up on the fact that movie Quill is a blend of classic Starlord, DnA Starlord, and Starhawk of the original GOTG? I don't know what's casual or mainstream about that.

I mean shit dude, the Giffen/DnA stuff is built on the same foundation and touches on the same concepts. Just because the protagonists are more down to earth and don't get into long-winded philosophical debates every issue doesn't make the whole damn thing casual moviebait. Knock off the dick-waving.
>>
To those arguing DnA, save it. I've had enough of that cosmic. I read it and it was okay for the most part, but it wasn't even close to its full potential. Like some have pointed out, it was the kind of story that felt entry level and very Avengers like. People only put it over the clouds by comparing it to the current stuff. It's only god tier because the bar hit rock bottom a long time ago.

>>82421481
Already done. It was good.

>>82421251
>>82421783
I said Starlin because it's what people usually suggest, but I was wondering if there was another author that did good cosmic. But of course I'll read everything else by Starlin. I'll see Silver Surfer and Quasar to read more.
>>
DnA was alright. Giffen was the real genius behind cosmic's revival and it shows. Starlin leter stuff wasn't all that great either.
>>
>>82421470
He's not wrong though. Among Cosmic Marvel, you don't get much more casual than DnA.
>>
>>82423820
I'm not arguing DnA over classic, I'm defending it on its merits just like I defend the classic stuff from jackholes that refuse to read it because it's old.

It doesn't have to be either/or and if you examine closely they're far more connected than you probably realize.
>>
>>82423820
>if there was another author that did good cosmic.
Ron Lim did a lot of fantastic cosmic stuff. Check out his Silver Surfer run most importantly. Also check out Marvel Two-in-One. For a Thing team-up ongoing, there's a lot of great cosmic stories in there. Actually, to that end, you should read the original Lee/Kirby run of Fantastic Four. Even if its mostly Earth-based, that's where you'll find the basis for a lot of the cosmic elements that later writers would expand upon.

Generally, Captain Marvel, Quasar, and Silver Surfer will be where you'll find the best of cosmic marvel, alongside various stories within most Fantastic Four runs.
>>
I guess Lee/Kirby FF is the starting point. Then follow spin offs. There's Silver Surfer. Then whatever all the goofy 70s dudes did Starlin, Englehart, Gerber, who am i forgetting.
>>
>>82424278
Moench and Mantlo.
>>
File: MOKF.jpg (221 KB, 570x835) Image search: [Google]
MOKF.jpg
221 KB, 570x835
>>82421043
For more Starlin excellence see Master Of Kung Fu, one of his personal favorites, co- created with Steve Englehart. His run was pretty short, but what came after with Moench and Gulacy kept up the quality
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.