[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
magpie thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11
File: Batman_401.jpg (73 KB, 400x619) Image search: [Google]
Batman_401.jpg
73 KB, 400x619
How would you write a good new magpie story?
>>
>>82420072

Didn't she look like Lady Gaga on that show nobody cared about?
>>
>>82420120
yep, pretty much the only thing people did care about in that show
>>
>>82420170
Fuck you.

Also, have her go off against Catwoman.
>>
Are there even one-off villain Batman issues anymore? It feels like if it isn't some long, overly involved conspiracy storylines for the last 6 years
>>
>>82421342
there was that issue with Absence after the morrison run
>>
>>82420072
I love Magpie!

I'd definitely play up her cat burgler angle. Not to insult her but she's really similar to Catwoman, except with a compulsion to steal instead of whatever Catwoman is. I'd also make her more of a player in the criminal underworld of Gotham, particularly as an on-again, off-again associate of the Penguin. Maybe as an enemy for the Birds of Prey, too.

If I was writing a Batman run I'd remove Catwoman completely and have Magpie fill her niche, except as an antagonist. She's greedy and selfish and can't help it, but she just revels in it. That's a really fun theme for a character.

>>82421342
I always loved the villains that tried something new more. We really need a new series that's free of the big plot arcs we have now and just single or two issue stories.

>>82421561
Literally mai waifu.
>>
>>82421745
>We really need a new series that's free of the big plot arcs we have now and just single or two issue stories.
so like that Legends of thedark night or whatever it was called by Alan Grant in the 90's?
>>
>>82420072
Magpie starts competing with Catwoman for Batman's penis
>>
>>82421745
>>82421889
This is why i missed Dini's run in Detective Comics before the Black Glove arc kicked off. It was a lot of villains of the month stories that topped off with a nice, self-contained Hush storyline that was pretty solid
>>
>>82421889
Yep, absolutely. Some of the beat Batman stories came from Legends of the Dark Knight.

Even 80's Batman had tons of cool one-off villains, like The Gargoyle or Pagan.
>>
>>82422075
Who and who?
>>
I always wonder, if Batman has such a surplus of villains then why not jist allocate the villains to other superheroes? Maybe magpie would fare better as a blue beetle villain or something.
>>
>>82422180
>BB has plenty of his own quality villains
>>
>>82422236
Is this sarcasm?
>>
>>82422341
no sorry,greentexted randomly for some reason, i was being genuine
>>
File: 4153454-gargoyle+2.jpg (96 KB, 444x675) Image search: [Google]
4153454-gargoyle+2.jpg
96 KB, 444x675
>>82422157
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-gargoyle/4005-108574/

Sort of like Max Schreck from Batman Returns, except he's also got a mutagen that makes him a vampire. It's a oneshot story that's kind of about his daughter being haunted by her father being a bad person.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/pagan/4005-27694/
Pagan basically a militant feminist who muders dudes who hurt women

>>82422236
There are several. The point is that it's pretty lame to snatch a villain from one character and push them to another just because you don't want to use them.

Personally I'm dead tired of the Joker>Clayface>Joker>Mr.Freeze>Joker>Joker>Ra's Al Ghul > Joker rotation.
>>
>>82420072
I had an idea for the character.

Essentially, she's a thief, but unlike Catwoman, who is sane and can form intent to commit crimes, Magpie is like a child in that she can't understand that the things she steals don't belong to her. She has no concept of "you can't just go around taking shit." Like a child, she gets upset when she can't have the things she wants. She doesn't take responsibility for her actions, and refuses to believe that it's her fault when bystanders get injured during her crimes.

I'd maybe do a Catwoman storyline where Magpie steals the same thing Catwoman was planning to steal, and leaves behind her explosives so that the guards who inspect the scene get horribly injured. Because Catwoman is tied to the crime, everybody thinks she's responsible, and Catwoman has to steal the item back from Magpie and return it to the authorities and clear her name.

This sounds less interesting now that I actually type it out. I guess that's why I'm not a writer.
>>
>>82422627
holy shit is that some Cam Kennedy art i see?

Also yeah Pagan, one shot issue about militant feminist villain that goes out of its way to show off her ass
>>
File: magpie14.jpg (328 KB, 926x1372) Image search: [Google]
magpie14.jpg
328 KB, 926x1372
>>82422691
sounds good senpai, would actually be a fun 2 parter or so if you put work inta it.
>>
>>82422627
>Personally I'm dead tired of the Joker>Clayface>Joker>Mr.Freeze>Joker>Joker>Ra's Al Ghul > Joker rotation.

Yeah, that's why I was cool with Beware the Batman using villains with less exposure. We've had enough Joker, Catwoman, Riddler and Penguin stories.

Although, when it comes to the comics, yeah, Joker and Ra's come up a lot, but I don't think Mr. Freeze or Clayface are used as much as other villains. Although I can see why, they are more special in small doses because they are two of Batman's more super-powered villains, with Freeze's suit/gun and Clayface's meta powers.
>>
File: 2010-05-05.1.jpg (31 KB, 277x273) Image search: [Google]
2010-05-05.1.jpg
31 KB, 277x273
>>82422781
>that's why I was cool with Beware the Batman using villains with less exposure.

Agreed. I wasn't too interested in their Professor Pyg, but I did like Magpie, Humpty Dumpty, and Croc a lot. And once they started showing their Two-Face it was pretty GOAT.

>>82422691
I don't have them on my current drive but if you look at Magpie's first appearances in Batman, that's pretty similar to what she is. She has a genuine compulsion to steal- the "shiny, shiny" thing wasn't just a Beware the Batman addition. She also does have a bit of a childish disposition, but she's definitely aware of what she does. She just sort of doesn't care.

A Catwoman vs. Magpie story would be a ton of fun too, especially if you played it up like a heist/ doublecross story. Have both girls be equally matched in terms of skill, each trying to outfox the other one, with lots of acrobatic action- it'd be especially cool if you gave her the Beware the Batman style claws so she and Catwoman could have hand to hand fights.
>>
File: magpie nest.webm (686 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
magpie nest.webm
686 KB, 1280x720
>>82422691
So, sorta like what Beware did with her, but actually having Catwoman as a foil to her.

I'd always tickled me how they made it seem like she'd be a replacement Catwoman, only to subvert it. Magpie was too dangerous and unhinged and Batman only pitied her at best.
>>
She looks better in the show
>>
It's a shame no one does much with Ratcatcher these days. Not necessarily him as a recurring villain, but his gimmick to summond waves of rats and even create enhanced rats could make for a cool couple of horror stories. It could've been cool to explore in the Arkham games in particular.
>>
File: Margaret_Pye.jpg (135 KB, 553x554) Image search: [Google]
Margaret_Pye.jpg
135 KB, 553x554
>>82423324
I loved that angle. Especially how he'd even go visit her in prison, which then blew up in his face. Catwoman is generally presented as being a bigger danger to herself than anyone else; she's really completely harmless to anything other than people's bank accounts. It means Batman doesn't have to be TOO conflicted about being with her since she's not actually that bad. Magpie is different- she's possessive and paranoid and totally willing to hurt people.

In some ways she reminds me a lot of Batman Returns's Catwoman.

>>82423362
high tier maggie comin' through
>>
>>82423421
didnt he come back recently looking like Harry Warden?
>>
File: Magpie_007.jpg (77 KB, 461x446) Image search: [Google]
Magpie_007.jpg
77 KB, 461x446
>>82422691
>>
>>82422627
>Personally I'm dead tired of the Joker>Clayface>Joker>Mr.Freeze>Joker>Joker>Ra's Al Ghul > Joker rotation.

this
>>
>>82422627
But they're not being used is what I'm saying, they're being wasted. Batman has so many villains but that ingrate ain't using them.
>>
Reminder that Dan Slott had her whore herself out for a piece of mirror.
>>
>>82424150
living hell is actually quite good
>>
>>82424150
That's Doodlebug isn't it? They pulled a lot of characters for Beware from Living Hell.

>Daedalus and Junkyard Dog
>Magpie
>Humpty Dumpty
>Lunkhead
>>
File: BTB 2 Face.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
BTB 2 Face.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>82423277
>And once they started showing their Two-Face it was pretty GOAT.

Which surprised me. Dent was a fucking chump in the show, but once he starts going crazy, he started working for me. Trying to kill Anarky in cold blood made it for me.
>>
File: mirrors and reflections.jpg (977 KB, 643x2497) Image search: [Google]
mirrors and reflections.jpg
977 KB, 643x2497
>>82424150
sounds like a big mistake. you can't trust mirrors in DC
>>
>>82425334
deep
>>
>>82424833
Oh hell yeah. I hated their Dent because he wasn't a good man (which defeats the point) but they had one of the best damn Two-Faces I've ever seen.
>>
>>82425334
Holy shit, now that would be a damn good plot for a comic.
>>
>>82425334
>There's something in the mirrors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XbX5tVFeY
>>
>>82425334
>there's something in the Mirror
Yeah and her name is Despair.
>>
>>82428504
>despair created Joker

And I thought she was supposed to be good
>>
>>82420072
Why does nobody use her?
>>
>>82429404
Because she was a joke villain even earlier on.

Also, they can't even based her off more from Beware because the only cartoons comics jerk off to are DCAU ones.
>>
>>82421745
>We really need a new series that's free of the big plot arcs we have now and just single or two issue stories

This so much. The reason most people aren't interested in comics is because of how much of an investment they are.

>>82429404
Because no one is interested in Batman's rogue gallery outside of the main ones.
>>
>>82428788
She is Despair, she is everything and more that word could possibly mean.
>>
>>82430425
>tfw no Kabuki Twins
>>
>>82430505
But god DAMN am I bored of the Joker
>>
>>82430830
You and me both, anon. I wouldn't mind a run that tries what BTB did and avoided using the usual suspects in favor of anyone else.
>>
>>82432146
Absolutely.
>>
>>82429404

It's the same reason that every writer that writes for Wonder Woman reinvents her and makes a bunch of new villains. Every writer wants to be the one who left some significant mark on somebody like The Joker, but nobody wants to be the one who spent their career writing about Magpie or Tiger Moth.

That's also probably the same reason why we'll probably never see Absence again; you may not remember, but people absolutely HATED the Batman and Robin issues she was in because she wasn't an established villain. Professor Pyg will probably only stay around when people want to do edgy things or if they're Morrison devotees.

People see characters like Ivy and Joker and they have all these preconceived notions of them, so they automatically register that they're good. Magpie? They don't know her, so they don't think anything of her. And if a writer does use her, they wonder why the writer didn't use someone else.

It's a no-win scenario. The only way to get more Magpie is if more people use Magpie.
>>
>>82433020
thanks now im depressed

how do we save comics?
>>
>>82420072
>tfw no overly possessive waifu
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.