[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Midnighter so underrated? I thought most comic book readers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7
File: midnighter.jpg (193 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
midnighter.jpg
193 KB, 1920x1080
Why is Midnighter so underrated? I thought most comic book readers can relate to him since he's a faggot.
>>
>>82413539
But I love Midnighter. I'd replace Batman with him in a heartbeat.
>>
>>82413539
Bad marketing and bigots who won't pick up a lgbt book no matter how good it is.
Not to mention that most people who demand minority character books don't actually buy/read those books.
>>
>>82413617
This.
I refuse to read a comic with a gay.
>>
>>82413835
You're a closeted fag.
>>
>>82413929
for you
>>
>>82413617
I hate gays and read only christian comics like Punisher.
>>
>>82413539
My best guess is "why do we need another Batman?" and the gay stuff.

Midnighter is pretty great though. The concept of a superhero that chooses not to have a secret identity because he just loves punching people 24/7 and he's a bit of a social retard is simple, interesting and leaves room for lots of stories.
As for the gay stuff, it's usually handled pretty well, there's a lot more to Middy than liking cock but it's still a significant part of who he is. I would make it less visually explicit though, because I understand it can gross people out. And, honestly, when you have one of the few well-done instances of LGBT characters in comics, you don't want to gross people out.
>>
>>82413539
Was it ever explained why Middy's cowl is very similar to Batman's?
i mean, besides enticing Dick?
>>
>>82414036
There's nothing really gross. At worst it's a kiss a few times. It's not like he's fisting someone for 9 pages.
>>
>>82414036
>OMG I WOULD RECOGNIZE THAT ASS EVERYWHERE BECAUSE I AM A FAGGOT XD

Yeah, real class and subtlety right there.
>>
>>82414093
the authority was a edgy version of DC characters
I find it poetic that then DC ended up buying them and turning them into C-listers
>>
>>82413539
Midnighter has a public outside regular comic book buyers. Unfortunally DC seems unable to make a good marketing campaign, so there's that.
>>
>>82413539

Because he's not an effeminate bishie yaoi fucboi.
>>
>>82413539
Because Batfags gets insecure when he's around
Because he's objectively a better Batman
>>
>>82414036
>he's a bit of a social retard
I find it funny that despite of this he is pretty much the most well-adjusted cape out there. Most of his friends are civilians whom he never bothered to hide his identity from.
>>
>>82416054
Batfags would just say "literally who?" because why would they read this non-batman character
>>
>>82414036
>My best guess is "why do we need another Batman?"
But he's nothing like Batman. I know that he started out as a facsimile of Bats, but at this point he only thing they have in common is a black outfit.
>>
>>82416094
And liking dicks.
>>
>>82416134
Everyone likes Dick
>>
>>82416054
You can't blame everything on Batfags
>>
File: hell_yeah_marvel.jpg (175 KB, 1073x609) Image search: [Google]
hell_yeah_marvel.jpg
175 KB, 1073x609
>>82413539
I want to read Midnighter. Any recommended runs or team books?
>>
>>82414376
>implying every other character in Grayson wasn't also making comments about Dick's butt

Seriously though, that had little to do with Midnighter being gay and more to do with SeeKing continuing their "lol someone said something about how great Dick's ass is" joke which happens at least once per an issue.
>>
>>82416094
>only thing they have in common is a black outfit.
The funny thing about that is that Bats outfits are mostly gray. Only the movies ever use an all black batsuit.
>>
>>82416231
Start with Wildstrorm. Ellis' The Authority, Ennis' Midnighter solo and the currently ending Orlando book are probably the best when it comes to particularly Middy. Brubaker's and Morrison's runs weren't bad either
>>
>>82416291
True, but there are enough in-universe jokes from other heroes about Bats wearing black that I guess it could count.
>>
As Midnighter is to the Bat family, what are:
>Jenny Sparks
>Jenny Quantum
>Apollo
>Engineer
>Doctor
>Swift
>Hawksmoor
>>
>>82416452
Apollo definitely goes to the Superman family. Hope Orlando has him appearing in Supergirl.
>>
>>82416231
In addition to what >>82416384 recommended Ennis' Kev books feature Midnighter occasionally and are great in general.
The wildstorm solo is good up until Giffen takes over at issue 10
Millars Authority is fun right after Ellis and features some great Middy moments
>>
>>82416177
But this I can
>>
>>82416661
but why?
>>
>>82413539
>I thought comic book readers can relate to him because he is a faggot.
You'd think so, but you're forgetting a key difference here: Midnighter is out and open about his sexuality, while the sexuality of a mainstream comic book reader is hidden deep within the closet.
>>
What does anyone find interesting about Midnighter other than him being gay?

I'm a gayfag myself and he's just another shitty edgy cape that's also gay.
>>
>>82416711
>Swift is basically Hawkgirl
Not really, she's like Flash fast.
>>
>>82416452
Apollo is obviously Super Family
Swift is basically Hawkgirl
Doctor could fit in with DC magic, would work well in an issue or two for Hellblazer
>>
>>82416776
Shit, didn't see the response or I would have left it.

Fixed post here >>82416784
>>
>>82416776
Did she ever do any real speed feats? They never fought any speedsters that I remember and the Door nullified a lot of speed power usage
>>
>>82416733
How is he edgy? Apart from enjoying violence, he's actually one of the most laid-back heroes out there.
I like Midnighter because he's just so damn fun.
>>
>>82416733
>he's just another shitty edgy cape that's also gay.
There's a few things that I really like about him. Finding joy in beating the shit out of people is one reason. But another is that despite his sadistic nature and love for violence he's still a big softy on the inside. Because of this usually all his interactions with children are great.
>>
File: Jack Edgy.jpg (318 KB, 800x1228) Image search: [Google]
Jack Edgy.jpg
318 KB, 800x1228
>>82416970
>>82416971
>being a superpowered sadist isn't edgy

You people are retarded. I guess that's why you're reading capeshit in the first place.

You must not think Jack is edgy either.
>>
>>82413539
Midnighter's gay, but he's no faggot. The only actual faggot in DC is Nubo.
>>
File: Middyballoons.jpg (423 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Middyballoons.jpg
423 KB, 1024x768
>>82417272
Ah yes, you're right, he's just like Jack, so edgy.
>>
>>82417272
>being a superpowered sadist isn't edgy
But in my post I never said he wasn't edgy, and that his love of violence (among other things) was actually one of the things I like about him.
>>
>>82416971
He's pretty cool with civilians too
>>
>>82414036
Anon, people would be grossed out if all they ever showed was light kissing.
>>
>>82417917
Agreed. He comes off as a very chilled person. I imagine he'd be a great buddy to sit around and have a drink with.
>>
File: Midnighter (2015-) 001-014.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Midnighter (2015-) 001-014.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>82418023
His friendship with the bar owner is one of my favorite things
>>
>>82413539
>>82416231
>>82416384
>>82416592

So how is the Authority: Revolution?

I've read the Ellis & Morrison stuff but haven't gotten around to checking out Brubaker's run. Is it any good?
>>
>>82413617
It's not an LGBT book. Its a book where the protag happens to be gay
>>
>>82414376
It's Dick Grayson. Literally half his character is his hypnotic ass
>>
>>82418570
You and me know that, but any reader unfamiliar with the character will categorize it as a lgbt book if told that the protag is gay.
>>
>>82418570
Is it even actively advertised that he's gay? Or are there random innocent people that just buy his comic expecting some good old fashioned ultraviolence and end up with gay panic?
>>
>>82418669
>Or are there random innocent people that just buy his comic expecting some good old fashioned ultraviolence and end up with gay panic?

I sincerely so, because that's hilarious.
>>
I guess it's just because his name isn't out there much. Midnighter doesn't appear in any other media. Not sure why more Grayson readers weren't drawn to his book though.
>>
File: MiddieDatingProfile.png (315 KB, 954x296) Image search: [Google]
MiddieDatingProfile.png
315 KB, 954x296
>>82418669
>>82418709
What about innocent gay guys who bought the book expecting some gay love story and ending up traumatized by the ultraviolence?
>>
I started reading it but then it became entangled in Grayson's awful bullshit and I dropped it, but I'm probably the only person who did that.

Most people probably didn't pick it up because Midnighter isn't an A-list character and you can't read stuff that isn't because you might develop hives and die.
>>
>>82418951
>but then it became entangled in Grayson's awful bullshit and I dropped it, but I'm probably the only person who did that.
You might as well finish it. There aren't that many issues left.
>>
>>82418951
>became entangled in Grayson's awful bullshit
Huh? I mean Grayson had a guest appearance and Spyral's understandably involved in the war games, but the book's plot is strictly related to Middy.
>>
>>82413562
Me too.
>>
>>82413835
Explain. Midnighter is one of those character whose appeal is more than just being ''gay''.
>>
>>82418951
The Midnighter/Grayson team-up is pretty delightful, though, and it's confined to only two issues. You should, yeah, at least check out the rest, they're consistently great.
>>
>>82414521
I think this has a lot to do with it. Midnighter did well in digital, and also as a trade on Amazon. He has an audience, but it's not the audience that buys floppies.
>>
>>82418124
>everybody cept the bar owner is like ''fuck this guy''
>>
File: BasedTony.jpg (222 KB, 823x860) Image search: [Google]
BasedTony.jpg
222 KB, 823x860
>>82421723
>>
>>82413539
No, OP, YOU'RE a faggot, Middy just fucks dudes.
>>
>>82413617
The book wasn't very accessible. I just read the trade. I've read like two stand-alone stories from, I guess, his second volume, one of them was the one that takes place in feudal Japan, if people know what I mean, because someone story-timed it and I wanted to see how it ended and see a better quality. And then I read bits and pieces of the Hitler arc, I guess you might call it, but no more than enough to make one book.

Never read a bit of Wildstorm or the New 52 Stormwatch, but have read Grayson, so that was my general knowledge of Midnighter, and I found myself confused until half way through the trade. If I found myself confused, I suspect the very random casual wouldn't have been able to get into it.

>people who demand minority
- that would be somewhat fair as I saw comment boards on some of the gay sites say the first issue was 'too violent' for them and the same happened when it was discussed on Tor (not solely, but primarily pointed at females). On the other hand, Gotham Academy is also being canned, and it's was similarly skewed. No one complained it had to much horror when it was discussed.
>>
>>82413835
>>82414007
You're an idiot with poor bait.
>>
What based Midnighter needed was some major controversy to spark people's interest or get people to notice him.
>Have call out Tumblerfags
>Have him attack someone like that Jenner tranny
>>
>>82427655
Gotham Academy isn't being canned just yet, it's coming back as Gotham Academy: Next Semester in... September I believe.
>>
>>82427903
I'm grateful DC doesn't usually pull clickbait bullshit like this. Pandering to the lowest common denominator with headline grabbers like this always make me cringe.
>>
This didn't sell well because it was too violent and not quirky enough. Also it was published by DC which is a huge negative for casuals and SJWs
>>
>>82428000
Seems to be working just fine for Marvel.
>>
>>82428094
Marvel gets headlines by pissing of nerds not SJWs
>>
>>82427903
No, that would just make people hate DC more.

/co/ throwing a fit about DC having a gay lead and him having sex would've been better since the target audience would take DC's side.
>>
>>82428094
I didn't say it doesn't work. It quite obviously pulls in sales. But it's terrible writing.
>>
Only slightly related, but man I'm so disappointed that DC gave Orlando an exclusive contract only to put him on one book. I really love his work on Midnighter and I want to see what he does next at DC, but I wish it was something I was more interested in than Supergirl.
And yeah, yeah, maybe Apollo will make an appearance, but I doubt that's a priority.
>>
>>82427655
>The book wasn't very accessible. I just read the trade. I've read like two stand-alone stories from, I guess, his second volume, one of them was the one that takes place in feudal Japan, if people know what I mean, because someone story-timed it and I wanted to see how it ended and see a better quality. And then I read bits and pieces of the Hitler arc, I guess you might call it, but no more than enough to make one book.

You know that's Wildstorm Midnighter, not the current DC book, right?
>>
>>82416384
Start with Stormwatch, where Middy get's introduced.
>>
>>82414036
>I would make it less visually explicit though, because I understand it can gross people out.

Stupid SJWs always wanting less sex in comics
>>
> old readers put off by horrible previous Nu Stormwatch
> shippers put off by his and Apollo's break up
> gay casuals put off by violence
> straight casuals put off by gayness

The book had some serious target audience issues.
>>
>>82429744
Those of us still reading are survivors.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.