[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC REBIRTH
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (92 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
92 KB, 500x283
DC Rebirth Speculation thread
>>
Superman dies in super league and is reborn as the new clark kent. lois/clark supes takes over. simon and jessica will hook up at some point. Green arrow, aquaman, suicide squad or harley quinn and one of the lantern books all go to monthly shipping after the first arc or two. green arrow gets a major revamp and goes back to his year one origin. Shazam has something to do with the new JLA book.
>>
I speculate it will suck.
>>
The hand is Superboy Prime
>>
>>82400080
Sales flop and both dc and marvel panic over not knowing what to do now
>>
>>82402780
The hand is Wally West. He's being chased by Superboy Prime.
>>
I've said it before (and in the "drawing the line at 2.99" thread), but I think Rebirth will be fine, sales-wise.

Weekly/bi-weekly formats have historically been short-lived because they're too intensive on the artists (and occasionally the writers). It's *never* been because of "poor sales". Like, if a company can get passed the struggle for artists, then the bi-weekly format is kind of, by definition, made to make money pretty efficiently.

Only Cyborg has cancellation-level sales right now. Green Arrow is the next lowest, and at 22k per issue, that's *right* about where DC is likely comfortable with essentially two books being.

A quick test of this:
I went through
http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-01.html
And looked at Green Arrow, which sold 22,117 issues that month, for the 101st best seller (which is right at the edge of "safe from cancellation"/"might be cancelled"). So, guess how many main DCU books were under it?

And how many bi-weekly books are there? 17.
>>
>>82403473
>17

Which are?
>>
>>82402780
I will literally die if it's not him

Fuck it's been so long since we've seen SBP
>>
>>82404129
1. Suicide Squad Most Wanted Deadshot Katana
2. Sinestro
3. Batman Beyond
4. Earth 2 Society
5. Cyborg
6. Martian Manhunter
7. Constantine The Hellblazer
8. Black Canary
9. Gotham Academy
10. Catwoman
11. Secret Six
12. Justice League 3001
13. We Are Robin
14. Doctor Fate
15. Midnighter
16. Omega Men
17. Telos
>>
>>82403105
The hand's gonna be pre-crisis Barry Allen.

Because DC hates us.
>>
>>82404374
Pre-Crisis Barry Allen, being chased by Post-Crisis Barry Allen.
>>
>>82404335
I'm missing your logic here on the significance of the 17 given that we know E2 Society, Batman Beyond, Cyborg, Hellblazer, and Gotham Academy are continuing in some form. And Fate seems to still be going for the next few months at least.

But I agree that Rebirth will do fine because they're padding the numbers with things that will sell.
>>
>>82404497
So, this is my thought process:

* For that month, DC had 48 core DCU first-as-floppy series. 17 of those series had bad sales, which would mean about 31 of them were OK.

* When Rebirth is settled, there will be something like 16 monthlies and 17 bi-weekly series for the core DCU.

With some cheating, that's about 50 issues a month, with 34 "automatically" being OK with sales. The 16 monthlies also have some strong equivalents. 6 of them are likely have OK sales simply by being relaunches and "relaunches" of existing decent-selling series (Titans, Teen Titans, Red Hood, Batgirl books, and All-Star Batman). I'd bet that at least 1 of the monthly Superbooks sells decently (among New Super-Man, Supergirl, Superwoman, and Super Sons, it's likely). And Trinity should come out strong, too.

That comes out to around 34+8 ~= 42 issues having decent sales.

Overall, that's a step up -- especially considering that the biggest books of Rebirth will have numbers that'll the make the worst sellers more permissible, whereas both DCYou and the end of the New52 had books begging to be cancelled.
>>
>>82400080
Lobdell will write Super Sons.
>>
>>82403473
So, you're arguing bi weekly sales don't cause books to be pulled, but you state the books in danger of being pulled are bi weekly? The fuck.
>>
>>82405141
It does frighten me that they're yet to announce a writer.

That likely means they had someone high-profile who left last-minute, and they're scrambling for a replacement.
>>
>>82405092
Your math seems fine, when you're assuming readers religiously buy a set number of DC books per month. Except you're not accounting for new readers being introduced with Rebirth, readers who leave other publications for interest in Rebirth books and readers who leave DC after new 52, not to mention the drop in sales after the first few months into Rebirth.
>>
>>82403473
>Only Cyborg has cancellation-level sales right now
DC's cancellation threshold is 15k
>>
>>82402780
Or the Time Trapper. Or both, depending on the timeline.
>>
>>82407526
Time Trapper will never be brought outside of Legion stories.
>>
Really all depends if they can really get their act together and not pull another New 52. They seem to really understand how much they fucked themselves up in the past 5 years. So hopefully they learned from their mistakes and are able to make decent books.
>>
>>82407575
He has appeared in a few non-LoSH stories and has ties to Prime so it's not totally out of question.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.