[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whatever happened to "Drawing the line at $2.99?"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4
>>
You don't know about rebirth?
>>
>>82391398
OP's point is that this isn't the first time DC has "drawn the line at $2.99," and last time they did it it was very short lived.
>>
>>82391398
What? They walk it back from $3.99? Still, they're double publishing so you're spending twice as much and it's probably not double the pages. Not double the pages we got for $2.99 in 2010 anyway. Another ten years, just watch, our comics will only be ten pages.
>>
>>82391456
>and last time they did it it was very short lived
didn't it last like over three years? the only time I can recall that they bumped book prices up without increasing the page count was when they moved a bunch of A-lister books to 3.99 with DCYou but all of those are going back down to 2.99

>>82391471
>Still, they're double publishing so you're spending twice as much and it's probably not double the pages
it will be 2.99 for 20 pages, except twice a month
>>
>>82391369
Fuck man C3PO comic is 8 bucks each as well Poe
>>
>>82391471
>>82391495
The majority of those books will be back to monthlies within a year anyway, with that no way they'll be able to maintain $2.99.
>>
>>82391495
I remember when comics were 32-48 pages.
>>
>>82391569
Why can't they go monthly and stay $2.99?
>>
>>82391609
need them dollaridoos
>>
>>82391609
Not profitable enough with DC's (or Marvel's) current readership numbers.
>http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-03.html
>>
>>82391694
So they don't make "as big" of a profit. They're still making a profit. Gain new readers. Don't take your incompetence out on your current readers. Bullshit they're charging more money for less pages than they ever did before anyway.
>>
>>82391609
they are still doing like 15 monthly books
>>
>>82391574
when on earth were big 2 comics ever that long? even in the silver age they were like 24 pages max, they were only longer if there was a backup feature
>>
>>82391574
Go home gramps. You also remember walking ten miles in the snow to pick up your comics.
>>
File: 19657nl2s3m1djpg.jpg (95 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
19657nl2s3m1djpg.jpg
95 KB, 640x360
Why does Dark Knight 3 have a pitiful page count when compared to its predecessors and other prestige format comics but actually costs more than they ever did?

Mfw I'm getting raped over picking up the hardbounds because they didn't do prestige format for Dark Knight 3.
>>
>>82391609
Because contrary to what people online may say, most don't care about prices.

Marvel is at 3.99 and unless Rebirth is a MASSIVE success, then marvel will stay at 3.99 because that's what people are willing to pay.

And if people don't care about prices, then publishers are okay with making them higher.
Marvel is regularly having 4.99 dollar #1s for just 3-5 extra pages and Deadpool has had 10 special issues that reach the top 10.
>>
>>82391833

Simple economics. Publishers have an obligation to maximize profitability.
>>
>>82392340
But that's because Marvel fans are stupid. They're like battered wives. They'll do whatever they're told.
>>
>>82392391
Well they'll have to find a new reader because they lost me with rebirth. Only back issues and limited series for me; even then I'm going to trade wait.
>>
>>82392340
Those $5 #1s really turn me off. I can understand if you're going to rip off the Spider-Man readership that would probably pay up to $10 for a single issue, but charging $5 for the first issue of fucking Moon Knight? To the win-o' I go.
>>
>>82392188
>not just waiting for an omni
you fool
>>
>>82392989
The new x files and predator are 5 bucks
They better be damn glad I'm a sucker for my favorite series
>>
>>82393015
Miller said he's going to do a DK4 because DC wouldn't let him draw this one. So no ominbus anytime soon.
>>
>>82393128
Why doesn't Miller realize his art fucking sucks now? Old man needs to give it up and just write. Noone wants another Dark Knight Strikes Again. Why can't he draw clean like in Sin City again? All his shit is just smudgey and ugly now.
>>
>>82391515

are you shitting me? 24 pages??
>>
>>82393274
His art's still pretty good. It's just colourists he gets stuck with
>>
>>82393430
His understanding of anatomy has gotten worse and more unpleasant to look at
>>
>>82393036
>They better be damn glad I'm a sucker for my favorite series
And this is why they're $5. Too many comic book readers will pay anything for their favorite series.
>>
>>82393389
I can't stomach to pay that much for 1 issue
>>
>>82391515
>buying marvel
>ever

nah
>>
>>82391609
I see bi-monthly as a way to push out trades faster.
>>
>>82391609
There are 16 books that are monthly and 2.99.
Unless All Star Batman is 3.99 but even then that one has a backup story.
>>
>>82394947
>that the bi-weekly is -- as far as I can tell -- brand new to DC, especially on a large, ongoing basis.
They had two bi-weekly books running side by side when Brightest Day and Justice League Generation Lost were going on, so they've done it before. just not on this big a scale
>>
>>82394748
How much of a comic company's profit comes from trades anyway
>>
>>82391369

>DC makes their comics cheaper
>"Fans" Complain

Nobody is forcing you to buy Batman or Superman. If you truly like those characters you should be happy you are getting more content each month. But if Money is such a huge issue you should see this as a n opportunity to get into some of the books DC is publishing monthly as there are some real gems in there
>>
>>82394803

No that's 2.99. Young Animal and the Hanna Barbera books will be $3.99 but anything under the "DC" label will be $2.99. They're giving us a 80 page monster for that price as well. The internet like to vilify DC when it's Marvel who are leading the genocide of comics
>>
(I should really copyedit my longer replies better, so I don't have to delete them and redo them)

$2.99 for a monthly is just bad business, especially if the series isn't successful.

DC has been slowly moving to a format where bi-weeklies just make more sense, so this should overall be profitable (or, at least, even) compared to DCYou and later stages of the regular New52. It should be noted, too, that the bi-weekly format is -- as far as I can tell -- brand new to DC (at least and particularly on large, ongoing basis).

The WEEKLY format usually doesn't last because there's too much pressure on the artists/writers. It's rarely a matter of profitability. 4 issues selling at 30k is a better outcome than 4 separate series averaging 30k (considering you'd have to put effort into figuring out which series would sell at 30k, and then you'd have to do the marketing and the timing right so all the series would consistently sell at 30k and not massively drop, etc.).

I think people underestimate exactly how strong the bi-monthly titles are: there's a LOT of hype (and hopefully quality) going into Rebirth. Cyborg, maybe Deathstroke, and maybe Green Arrow are the only ones of the 17 bimonthlies that will need retinkering or canceling. The other titles have historically been decent sellers, and as long as they average, say, 25k an issue (and thus 50k a month), the execs should be happy.

And if they figure out a way to keep the art teams happy as well, then there's no reason why a bi-weekly format wouldn't be one of the smarter decisions that DC has made in a LONG time.
>>
>>82393430
Are you unaware of Holy Terror or is that your idea of pretty good art?
>>
>>82395369

There is no way DC won't be in a better space with rebirth than they were with DCYou. That was a massive flop but then again so was ANAD. If DC had, say, Harry potter comics propping them up people wouldn't notice the shit state they're in just like they aren't with Marvel thanks to Star Wars. I'm predicting that Rebirth will have DC back to 30% of the total market
>>
>>82395369

A failing of the weekly comic is to try and have one big plot. What DC should do is a Justice League Unlimited title which has rotating Writers and artists who are free to use the heroes they want to. I imagine that would be successful
>>
>>82392188
Because it's like 8 issues as opposed to 4
>>
>>82395117
DC and Image get the lions' share it their money from bookstore trades
>>
>>82395966
Do people even buy Marvel trades?
>>
>>82395668
I expect a good 5-7% jump in market share. But whether it will say is anyones business. I think this relaunch is better than DCYou but probably not as big as NU52 not that Nu52 was good but it drummed up interest
>>
>>82392188

Because it has another comic book stapled inside it?
>>
>>82396057
I don't buy new ones but i buy older stuff.

Also supreme power is trade stuff
>>
>>82393036
>>82393036
>They better be damn glad I'm a sucker for my favorite series

You're pathetic. I hope you know that
>>
>>82396057
They're so garbage and only 5 issues so I don't see why anyone would
>>
>>82391515
>Fuck man C3PO comic is 8 bucks each as well Poe

What? How much did these sell?
>>
>>82396057

I'll never pay for a Marvel comic again
>>
>3.99 or 4.99 for 20 pages of story (with ads) every week/month
Shit like this is why the comic industry is fucked.
>>
>>82395117
Trades have been growing a lot in the past few years, especially for DC and Image when it comes to bookstores.

Compare to floppies, which have grown too but variants, relaunches, and #1s have muddled things, and digital, which grew a lot in the first few years but have started to stagnate.

It's in everyone's best interest to try and reach that market while people are paying attention to it.
Floppies keep books alive, but any of the general public who become interested in comic properties want a whole story for a reasonable price.

>>82396057
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/tilting-at-windmills-bookscan-2015-analysis
Slowly but surely. They moved up to fifth this year and were even lower in years before. They were seventh in 2013 and eighth in 2012.
And just in LCSes they've been behind DC and Image for forever.
>>
>>82395912
Yeah? Should've been 4 then. DC just being greedy fuckwits. Watch them pull some "Director's Cut" bullshit like they did with Harley Quinn, Batman Europa and other titles. Nothing like selling the same comic twice with a few extra pages and notes. Just fuck my wallet DC.
>>
>>82396512
>Just fuck my wallet DC
or you could just not be a retard and not buy those
>>
>>82396158
>Six pages
>Comic
>>
>>82396542
Or DC could just not be fucking Jews and not cut pages
>>
>>82391369
All of their regularly-sized books were 2.99. If something was 3.99, it had 10 more pages of content. So yeah. Pay more, get more.
>>
>>82395668
Why do people keep saying ANAD is a flop? Didn't it dominate sales?

>>82395369
Le "DC Has Done Something Stupid Counter"
>>
>>82395764
>What is Justice League United
Holy shit that was fucking good and you fuckers just let it get cancelled I hate all of you for reminding me of that.
>>
>>82397991
Technically yes, but all the same writer/artist relaunches went immediately below the numbers of the the last issues of their previous volumes. Sales are down across the board, a lot of people left when Secret Wars delayed their favorite titles for a few months.
>>
>>82397620
>10 Pages
Nigga we get like 3-5 pages extra tops. And that's being generous
>>
>>82396512
Pax Americana DX included Multiversity Map for 5$ more than issue's original price, alongside pencils, sketches and commentary
>>
>>82397991
>Why do people keep saying ANAD is a flop? Didn't it dominate sales?

http://www.comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-to-month-sales-february-2016-the-marvel-universe-caught-a-cold/
A lot of books are lower than they were before the relaunch.
If you took away Star Wars, Marvel wouldn't be doing too much better than DC.
>>
>>82397991
>Didn't it dominate sales?

Sales are down from what they were before the relaunch. Star Wars and DC also flopping with DCYou makes ANAD look much better than it was if you just look at the market share percentages
>>
>>82398091

Yeah but it was monthly. I always felt the DCAU Justice League was right not to have all the league members in every story
>>
>>82391369
There's a plant from which you can get the same quality as cotton papers but much faster.
Shame it's ilegal.
>>
File: Holy Terror.jpg (758 KB, 1776x1342) Image search: [Google]
Holy Terror.jpg
758 KB, 1776x1342
>>82395556
Holy Terror is the cape version of A Bride's Story.
>>
>>82396240
This pisses me off so much. Marvel has the gall to charge more for less issues. Thank god for places like IST that sell at a steep discount, because the MSRP on Marvel trades is un-fucking-believable.
>>
>>82396057
Marvel is behind DC and Image. Serves them right. They're made on shit paper and contain 5 issues more often than not, yet they're more expensive than DC and Image.

>>82396240
Seriously though.
>14.99 trade with 6 issues
>10.00 trade for 5+ issues
>15.99 trade with 5 issues
Why would anyone want the last one unless there was a big discount.
>>
>>82402580
>>82403337
As a trade-waiter, I've collected far more recent DC than recent Marvel, all because Marvel's always at such an expensive price.
>>
>>82403337
I'm digging that dc new 52 has 8 issues for 16 bucks

Shame marvel sucks donkey dicks for TPB
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.