[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about modern South Park?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
File: tERP3ZcY.jpg (12 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
tERP3ZcY.jpg
12 KB, 256x256
What do you think about modern South Park?
>>
It's alright.
Usually decent with some bad episodes in between seasons.

Matt and Trey are really becoming grandpa's though as I m pretty sure they don't entirely understand their own message s they' re trying to make every know and then.
>>
Considering the state of other shows that have lasted as long, it's not that bad.
>>
>>82389252
Individual episodes are weaker, but seasons are overall more cohesive and better. It's overall a little worse, but that's because they have enough of a following to get away with more long-term risky stuff.
>>
Next season when?
>>
I really don't like the answers this thread has gotten so far.

Here's the correct one.

The most recent season was the best season. Trey and Matt should be given crowns and scepters for this achievement of television that a program gets BETTER as it goes on.

The show they actually started with, for like 5 fucking seasons, was rather dogshit. And I don't care who argues it. It's like talking to people who say White Castle isn't horrible fast food.
>>
>>82389409

maybe its because I'm younger, but I have picked up on the message and it hits home. Honestly the last couple seasons have been the most refreshing and hopeful social commentary on television right now outside of rick and morty while still being funny.

lets be honest, Comedy Central is not about comedy
>>
>>82389252
It's awful. I hate this flavor of the month bullshit. It's not funny at all.
>>
>>82389252
It's great but Matt and Trey should really come out of their Randy comfort zone already.
>>
File: Sunglasses.jpg (268 KB, 3381x1494) Image search: [Google]
Sunglasses.jpg
268 KB, 3381x1494
>>82390343
100 bucks I can guess your political ideology.
>>
>>82389252
These season-long arcs are great but fall apart in the last 2 episodes.
>>
File: 1453617993672.jpg (44 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1453617993672.jpg
44 KB, 960x540
It's solid. I appreciate their incredibly fast rate of creation allowing them to be as topical as possible, and the characters/plots/jokes somehow have managed to not totally get stale after all this time. Last season was a neat change of pace as well, and PC Principal is a great new character for the series.

That said, it fucking sucks that its popularity totally eclipses any other animated series CC tries to push next to it. Moonbeam City deserved so much more, dammit.
>>
>>82390331

we are in a period of transition in culture, so what we perceive to be funny is also "transitioning"

its not a case of everything has been done, as there is nothing surprising about the real world anymore except for politics

i think back when south park started. outside of being satire, by the year 2016 people were expecting the world to be in a place where we would have higher standards than cutout paper character and zany lampooning of American culture, because we hoped we improved by then

i feel everything of the last 30 years is coming to a head right now, and that includes culture and "norms", why else would the creators have started the show in the first place. They have captured the feeling of childhood in the last 30 years and how it has progressively gotten less and less, um , "innocent" and more and more "this is actually believable"

the question we should be asking is, are we still in the age of irony?
>>
Disappointed, for me that's not funny anymore since season 12. (well some episodes have good parts i admit)

the best era was between season 4-10, and also early seasons for the nostalgia and the good old fashioned retarded humor.
>>
>>82390505

i think Moonbeam couldn't compete with archer

and they don't want to think that the future will be worse tun the present

at least archer has a feeling of "this could happen next week" despite being set in the past
>>
Boring, tries too hard to meme and stay "at the pulse of time".
>>
>>82390534

so what you are saying is South Park never expected to go as long as it has?

would we would feel lost without it?

what other shows would we have left if south park was canceled?
>>
File: 1417127950029.jpg (23 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
1417127950029.jpg
23 KB, 600x399
>>82390432
I hate how I can recognise this.
>>
>>82389252
The same I always thought about South park
S'cool
>>
>>82390534

as long as hipsters are around we will still be in the age or irony

unless they are ironically signaling the end of the age of irony
>>
>>82390505
>I appreciate their incredibly fast rate of creation allowing them to be as topical as possible
yeah, but the thing is the more topical the South Park episode is the more forgettable it is.

I remember the non-topical episodes as being the best: Scott Tenorman Must Die, Marjorine, Casa Boninta, Awesome-O, the Mormon episode, the World of Warcraft episode, the ninja weapons episode.

Do you remember the episode about the capture of Saddam Hussein? What about the one that spoofed the Oprah "A Million Little Pieces?" Or the Human Centipede episode? Or the one about the Olympic opening in China?
>>
>>82389252
The need to make a the episode something extremely specifically topical will make new south park age like milk.
>>
>>82390830
I just watched The China Problem last night and it was terrible. And Human Centipad and Million Little Fibers are some of series worst episodes. But 'Jared Has AIDES' is the one episode that became hilarious in a new context.
>>
>>82390830
This is exactly why the show sucks now.

the best episodes were about goofy stories on the city.
>>
>>82390793

i think we are entering the age of horror and surrealism TBQH, maybe even transhumanism depending if we have a big shift back to space exploration

but we also may be going for another period of widespread war and unrest around financial systems, identify, freedom of choice, debt and employment, and i fear we will get out laughs from twisted and sickening ways, kind of like 4chan, youtube poop, or vengeful schadenfreude
>>
>>82390258
What if I love the new seasons and White Castle?
>>
Has anyone else here gone through "Active Shooter Training"? I just did, wherein my coworkers and I had to go through an active shooter reenactment, and were taught things like don't just hide under a table but baricade the door and throw things at the shooter instead.

I kept thinking throughout the exercise that Active Shooter Training might make a good topic for a "South Park" episode.
>>
File: sp-1909-press-art-image-01.jpg (140 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
sp-1909-press-art-image-01.jpg
140 KB, 960x540
>>82390950

well that is the buildup around Sodasopa and the Media/ advertisements

I have been wondering about all these hipster/SJWs property developments lately
>>
>>82391084

you forgot Bruce/ Kate Jenner and fired Officer Barbrady
>>
>>82391025

like I said,

our tastes for comedy are transitioning in 2016

those who hate new south park I think don't want to recognize where the world is heading
>>
>>82391198

maybe they need to do an episode about "Red Pillers" like yourself

it wold be fucking hilarious
>>
File: literally me.jpg (62 KB, 630x1200) Image search: [Google]
literally me.jpg
62 KB, 630x1200
>>82389252
I think it's literally me.
>>
>>82391252

you mean like these guys?

>>82391084
>>82391148

or are SJW frat bros the red pillers?

or is Butters the most red piled of them all?

what about cartman,he is essentially the fat face of American dbags but he knows how to do shit
>>
>>82391433

how about more content about people stuck in nostalgia

or everything from the past being brought back and destroyed
>>
>>82390258
>The show they actually started with, for like 5 fucking seasons, was rather dogshit
confirmed for shit taste
>>
>>82390591
>the best era was between season 4-10

This. It peaked Season 5 but was still overall strong until Season 10. Season 11 was the one with the huge drop-off. You'd know that with Lice-capades.
>>
>>82391565

learning to she the past

thats kind of what Adult Swim is all about actually
>>
>>82391827

*shed
>>
>>82391594
Have you actually watched early South Park lately?
>>
>>82391827

Too many cooks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8
>>
South Park has been a roller coaster of a show.

Sure the early seasons has its charm, innocence of boys-being-boys with ridiculous crudeness. Then it went to flavor of the week satire based on a timely issue and the show hit a stride.

But around seasons 11-12, I felt South Park stumbled a little. Sure there were some good moments/episodes, but a lot of them felt like they missed the mark or were just "meh" movie parodies.

Seasons 18 and 19 feel like a breath of fresh air with serial episodes, continuity, and not relying too much off pop culture.
>>
it was better from season 3-10
>>
I watched the most recent season a few days ago and it kind of blew. Nothing about it was really that funny or memorable, which is disappointing because I was expecting PC Principal to have me falling out of my chair.

Now that I think about it, pretty much everything after season 13 is boring, unfunny shit. I'm surprised at how acclaimed the last season was.
>>
>>82394407
What did you expect PC Principal to do that didn't live up to your godly expectations?
>>
I don't like the continuity, I liked it better when they'd do original episodes and then do some episodes making fun of current events, but how it is now they just try to mix in both every episode and it feels cluttered. I think it should go back to being episodic with some 2 to 4 episode special's every now and then.
>>
File: 1352144110920.png (16 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
1352144110920.png
16 KB, 200x300
>South Park Airing
>"BEST SEASON IN YEARS! I'm laughing with every single episode!! SOUTH PARK IS BACK!"
>South Park not airing
>"Last season was terrible. The show is only worse every year. > 201X >Watching South Park"
>South Park airing again
>"GOD, THIS IS THE BEST SEASON IN YEARS! SOUTH PARK IS BACK"

That's at least my experience in /co/ since my stay here.
>>
I think seasons 2-6 were gold.

After that there's a noticeable decline in quality, with usually a couple good episodes in every season.

Make Love not Warcraft was when I really got turned off SP. The whole episode felt like a dumb gimmick.
>>
>>82395433

What this guy said.

Still one of the best shows on TV, though.
>>
>>82389831
2017 they just announced it
>>
>>82390830
>>82390936
cherypicking
>>
>>82395660
duh? all the in game footage was from blizzard though
>>
>>82395371
I expected him to be funny.
>>
>>82395631
So literally a Reverse Zelda effect?
>>
I gave up on South Park after that Redskins Kickstarter episode. If you like it that's fine it's just lost the magic with me.
>>
I can't say I care for the new seasons. All I remember is the plot revolving around Whole Foods and SJWs.

And it made me absolutely hate Randy.
>>
>>82395631
The last two season were good though minus the season finales.

The only recent season I remember truly hating was the one with the inception parody episode which was so forgettable I genuinely can't remember most of the other episodes but even then I also remember that season also having Zip Lining so even then it shows that at it's worst South Park will still have one good episode.
>>
>>82395916
What wasn't funny about him?
>>
>>82396143
But Insheeption was season 14 and the ziplining episode was season 16.
>>
>>82396306
Really? Then when was 200?
I think I may be blurring a lot of these seasons.
>>
>>82396226
His entire character. The parody of overzealous political correctness. For the most part it wasn't funny.
>>
>>82396382
200 was Season 14.
>>
>>82396420
What did you expect then?
>>
>>82396611
I expected him to be funny. The concept of a dudebro being a PC fanatic sounded funny to me and it wasn't.
>>
I feel like it takes itself too seriously. Almost every recent episode is just making fun of things going on. I like the stupid stuff like unfunny Germans, anal probes, underpants gnomes, etc.
>>
>>82395762
feel free to cherrypick some topical episodes that aren't crap.
>>
I hated About Last Night... so much it put me off for a while
>>
>>82389252
It's alright. S18 was a lot like early South Park, i.e. stories were more about the characters and what they were doing instead of just topical satire, but it was still based within the time it was made. S19 had a few problems with half of the episodes reverting back to just being topical and making characters mouthpieces that say what the audience wants, but they turned it around with the others and finished it off with a solid finale. People still give the crappy episodes of S19 a free pass because of the SJW boogeyman, but the season still had a lot of great episodes that kept stabbing parody at SocJus gone wrong while keeping the characters clever and most importantly, in-character.
>>
Personally I prefer the "Today I learned" era of South Park. The new seasons are certainly topical but the plots seem more thrown together. It feels like they threw three topical ideas into a blender to make the episode.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.