[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 22
File: gf su.png (83 KB, 500x311) Image search: [Google]
gf su.png
83 KB, 500x311
I think shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls are mediocre in writing, but people's expectations for childrens cartoons are so low, they consider them better than they actually are. But compare these cartoons to a lot of live-action serialized works, children's literature, Disney-Pixar feature films, even shows like Batman: Animated Series or Venture Brothers, the writing is almost amateurish.

Who else feels this way?
>>
>>82359466
Depends on what you consider "good writing".
>>
>>82359466

Most of these have episodes that are 11 minutes long, or otherwise less than half and hour.

Childrens' cartoons are targeted towards children who intrinsically need straightforward storytelling.

You're asking for a paradox.
>>
>>82359466
bro, we're never gonna live in your perfect world where every show on tv is written like a movie, so... fuck u bitch
>>
I disagree wholeheartedly, at least with Gravity Falls. I haven't finished it; last episode I watched was a Tale of Two Stans, but the writing and script are very impressive for a children's cartoon, especially since GF wasn't really made with just pre-teens in mind.

A television show wouldn't be able to match the production values of a Pixar film but I'd say GF is a peer the better written Pixar films.
>>
>>82359466
I feel as though you're a fucking retard, but hey, guess some people were just born with shit in their mouths.
>>
File: 12312434235245.jpg (7 KB, 196x196) Image search: [Google]
12312434235245.jpg
7 KB, 196x196
seriously, how many times is /co/ going to make this thread? I saw a similar one with a very close choice of wording a couple weeks back.
>>
>>82359629
I feel like Gravity Falls can't take itself seriously. It has really good moments, but it has more "Mabel screaming while waving her arms" or "Soos makes a funny face while saying D00D" jokes than the actual scary, unsettling, or dramatic moments.

Scenes like Bill possessing Dipper are great, but those scenes are so few and far to how many times we see Mabel's 80's neon guys fantasy boys dancing around.
>>
>>82359466

>I think shows like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls are mediocre in writing, but people's expectations for childrens cartoons are so low, they consider them better than they actually are

That's actually right on the ball. But no one here will agree since this place is full of fat women and nu-males. "Adult" cartoons is even worse. People actually think that Rick and Morty is the pinnacle of good writing.
>>
Technically he's not completely wrong Steven Universe and Gravity Falls are both praised for pushing the boundaries of writing in children's shows even if they aren't exclusively aimed at children. It helps that they're both pretty good to watch on their own anyway.
>>
>>82359674

That's because it's true if multiple people are saying the same thing over and over in variety of threads at that, don't you think something is wrong. Also I enjoy how everything someone says an opinion they don't like, they use the bait card.
>>
>>82359466
>Compared to:
>Let me list the best fucking animated and live action works possible

Gee, no shit.

Can this end please? Why is it so important that everything you watch blow your socks off or set an entirely new standard in animation, otherwise you hate it? It honestly feels like no other board is this fucking picky.
>>
>>82359827
Shows like GF and SU are considered "some of the best cartoons ever". Why wouldn't you compare "the best" with the best?
>>
>>82359690

The first thing I noticed when I started watching Gravity Falls was that Mabel was eccentric and hyperactive but she has moments of insight calm, like a real kid her age.

Like in Double Dipper she's teasing Dipper and then turns around and tells him to just go speak to her. In Hand that Bites the Mabel she uses Gideon's gem to save Dipper and pretty solemnly rejects Gideon up front. There's other instance I can't get off the top of my head.

Now Soos might be a bit too silly but in his defense, he is the only character in that show who is essentially a walking joke.
>>
File: 1461895829364.png (226 KB, 693x387) Image search: [Google]
1461895829364.png
226 KB, 693x387
>It's an "I like some things more than other things and I don't understand anyone would feel differently" episode
>>
>>82359863

It raises a good question though; were we comparing Dexter's Lab and Rugrats with Pixar and Dreamworks films?
>>
>>82359863
You guys said the same fucking thing about YJ. You all thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Now it's arguably forgettable.

Check back in another 3 years. See if SU and GF are still popular. That's how you'll know if it's worth fussing over how popular they were.
>>
>>82359748
Adventure Time has some fantastic episodes. Most recent one I loved was Hall of Egress. As a show it has a ton of filler and mediocre moments that I won't apologize for, but there are also about a few dozen episodes that really demonstrate how sophisticated and well-conceived it is.
>>
File: finn steven morty and tina.png (81 KB, 500x339) Image search: [Google]
finn steven morty and tina.png
81 KB, 500x339
>>82359466
Boy butts.
>>
>>82359964
But those are purely comedic, episodic shows. OP talks about the "deep lore" shows which are praised for being sophisticated and high-quality to other works that are considered high quality.

We're not comparing Breadwinners or We Bare Bears to Disney films.
>>
>>82359466
Yeah, we know. You made this thread like last week. We get it, you cannot stand the idea of someone liking something you don't. Get over it.
>>
>>82359863
People say that about every show that isn't utter garbage.
>>
>>82360058

A big part of the praise for shows like SU and GF is that they're better and more substantive than people expected. The MLP effect, but for actual good shows.
>>
>>82359466
I think Gravity Falls ultimately failed itself in its writing, but the majority of the show isn't as massively disappointing as the actual resolution. Which I suppose in itself would lend the show to being mediocre; if it can't pull through on the final leg of the race then it isn't anything special.

Steven Universe is pretty bland and boring as far as I'm concerned, littered with the kind of generic and overstuffed filler that one would not expect from a show that is said to have an ongoing epic story. It's like its two different shows, and both are GOOD shows but don't work TOGETHER. Yeah, we learn Pearl was devoted to Steven's mom, but what in the long run does that actually do to progress the main plot? Not much.

Adventure Time I've seen very little of, so I can't really provide any thoughts on it.

Basically, either one of those shows COULD be the next great cartoon but ultimately choices in pacing or execution cause them to jump just short of what they COULD be.

But really, who knows what could happen in the next few years? It seems bad now and that the expectations are low now, but it very well could just be a temporary hole in the industry. I've found it generally it takes failure to learn to succeed.
>>
>>82359748
>That's actually right on the ball. But no one here will agree since this place is full of fat women and nu-males. "Adult" cartoons is even worse. People actually think that Rick and Morty is the pinnacle of good writing.

I know you're trolling but I have to wonder if you actually hear yourself when you write tripe like that.

It's like a homeless man criticizing the pennies in his cup for not being shiny enough.
>>
>>82360155
That's the point of this thread. People's expectations are so low, anything decent is considered godsend, but they're still mediocre shows in the long-run.
>>
>>82359466
I don't see why you threw Adventure Time in there since no one's cared about it for like 2 years now.
>>
>>82360194

You should hear yourself. You sound like a dumb 20-something getting angry for not sharing your shit taste. It;s pretty funny that your are proving OP's point.
>>
Your little theory falls apart when you consider people who eatch shows like SU and Gf can also watch those high end feature films and other "good" live action works.
There's plenty of people who watch anime and its "greatness" and still consider SU/GF a great form of entertainment.
>>
>>82360195

What happens, or at least what happened with me and GF, is that the show was a lot better than I expected, and watching it allowed me to see that it was an extraordinary cartoon. I haven't seen the apparently disappointing resolution but calling the program mediocre compared to multi-million dollar animated films lauded by prolific and well-regarded critics seems retarded.
>>
>>82359466
>pixar

stopped reading here
>>
File: jEBOpik.jpg.gif (3 MB, 445x247) Image search: [Google]
jEBOpik.jpg.gif
3 MB, 445x247
>>82360276

>There's plenty of people who watch anime and its "greatness" and still consider SU/GF a great form of entertainment

Is this nigga serious?
>>
>>82360332
Yes, outside of 4chan where people like things and enjoy life, theres people who can enjoy different froms of entertainment without being a cynical twat.
>>
>>82360206
>Adventure Time in there since no one's cared about it for like 2 years now
>I haven't seen the talkback threads
>>
We're never going to get the Mad Men or Breaking Bad of cartoons
>>
File: 1407883712961.png (107 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1407883712961.png
107 KB, 320x287
>>82360308
>implying the report button actually does anything
Seriously, reporting does absolutely nothing except close the report window. There's no notification sent to a janitor or mod. It's a concept known as "security theater", which gives the illusion of some basic security, but doesn't actually accomplish anything of substance.

You'll just have to deal with the fact that liking things on /co/ is no longer allowed.
>>
>>82360295
You keep bringing up fat women.
>>
>>82360569

Not him but I've been to a few cons and most of the SU cosplayers are fat/chubby chicks.
>>
The comedy in Gravity Falls was Simpsons-quality at times. We should be happy a kids' show even had that level of refinement given to its writing. Shows like AT and SU on the other hand are storyboard driven, so the dialogue isn't written by actual writers, just the loose plot points of the story. That's why often the dialogue is rambling, naively navelgazy and has so many jokes that don't land
>>
>>82360625
SU did not invent fat women though. Not even in this age. Fat women have existed since the Invader Zim period.
>>
>>82360569
I guess calling everyone who disagrees with him "tumblr" wasn't specific enough.
>>
>>82360660

No one made the assertion that it did, just that it seems to attract fat chicks.

>>82360635

I completely agree with this. I love GF and I used to enjoy AT but that show gave me narrative blue balls. The stuff with Marceline and Ice King is a glimmer of brilliance but the show never wants to go anywhere with it.
>>
>>82360635
The dialouge of SU and AT are hardly simiar. Ive yet to her steven yell schmozow or poots on newts.
>>
File: 1431387353296.png (621 KB, 1280x981) Image search: [Google]
1431387353296.png
621 KB, 1280x981
>>82359982
Go for it Tina!
Wouldn't be the first time Finn or Morty have been raped.

Steven is pure though.
>>
>>82360308
>announcing false reports
>>
>>82360784
You're focusing on too specific a detail, the incessant made up slang is a gimmick singular to Adventure Time.
>>
>>82359555
11 minutes is not an excuse when pre movie spongebob exists
>>
File: 1460031880778.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1460031880778.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>82359466
Modern audiences don't like plot arcs or action or even conflict.

Lighthearted and "comfy" episodic stories are in right now. And not just regarding cartoons; films, books, video games all gotta be "fun" or else they don't sell. Even /co/ has gotten like that.
>>
>>82360635
>The comedy in Gravity Falls was Simpsons-quality at times.

Simpsons at its best? You can't be serious.
>>
>>82359466
Actually, Adventure Time have a pretty long and interesting story, not exactly what a child would find "good" (the whole thing about nuclear war and etc).

Steven Universe is something I can't stand. I know I will get hate, sure, but opinions are opinions.

I can't say anything about Gravity Falls, never really watched it.
>>
>>82361287
You praise adventure for its butchured incoherent story yet SU is what you cant stand?
>>
File: 135629184851.jpg (36 KB, 488x358) Image search: [Google]
135629184851.jpg
36 KB, 488x358
>>82359466
>Disney-Pixar feature films

You can't be serious
>>
>>82361334
As I said. My opinions are my opinions.

I don't really know why I hate it so much but I hate. Simple as that, now, I already knew that I was going to be kind of killed for saying a sin like this but don't come to me saying that the Adventure Time story is incoherent, it can be goofy, flawed and it can be hard to put in a chronological order, but it's far from being incoherent.

Incoherent story is a story so full of shit you can't understand nothing at all. See any of these Time Travel Movies? If you say that Adventure Time's story is incoherent then you are saying that these Time Travel movies are also incoherent because of, as I said before, they don't function in a chronological order.

But feel free to attack me in any way of your choosing.
>>
2x speed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-A8DAbSqo4
>>
>>82361334
Opinions anon, opinions
>>
File: 1460354579818.jpg (15 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1460354579818.jpg
15 KB, 200x200
>>82359466
Sure looks like some tasty bait, anon.
>>
>>82361604
>But feel free to attack me in any way of your choosing.
Let's start with that word you keep using, "incoherent". Maybe I can help you with this. What is it about SU's story that you find incoherent?

I'm gonna regret this, but fortune favors the bold.
>>
>>82361665
>If you don't like popular things, your opinion is bait!
>>
>>82361604
Christ anon, i wasn't attacking you, i was just asking a question.
>>
CALARTS general thread #42587: "I'm pretty sure the last topic's still up" edition.
>>
>>82361751
>"If you like popular things, you're from Tumblr!"
>>
>>82361949
>If you criticize things, you hate fun!
>If you like silly things, you have shit taste!
>If you compare anything with anything, you're retarded, they're not the same!

What else can we squeeze out of greentext?
>>
>>82360427
the ones with like 30 people in them, compared to the hundreds GF and SU get
>>
>>82359466
I can see where you're coming from but you're wrong. Those shows have fantastic writing - for daytime television.

Compare them to other popular live action shows like NCIS or any of the many Law and Order variants. SVU is particularly bland and repetitive. Some hits like Burn Notice are actually really well written and something new happens every episode. But most live action drama series are more formulaic than goddamn regular show, with the season's big storyline crammed into the last two or three episodes.
>>
>>82362057
>"Ignoring things you dislike is impossible!"
>"If someone likes something you don't, you must harass them and tell them they are wrong!"
>"If someone disagrees with you, they must be an SJW!"
>>
>>82359807
>Multiple people
>Not samefag
>>
I don't feel that way, I KNOW they're badly written, most good writers don't aim for children television careers.

But writing consistency isnt the only aspect that can make something fun
>>
>>82362300
And where will i find these good writers? Certaintly not in adult television.
>>
>>82359972
If we're lucky, We'll finish the current season of SU in three years
>>
>>82362331

Certainly YES in adult television, the worst of HBO is miles ahead of most cartoons, don't be a vindictive babyman.
>>
>>82361334
>>82361703
>>82361771
Not the same guy? Sorry this is an anon chan.

First of all:
>Let's start with that word you keep using, "incoherent"

You used this word initially, I'm just using it again, I'm not giving it emphasis. It also has to do with the fact that my native language isn't English. I deeply apologize if you thought I was using it to mock you or anything. I'm really apologizing and I don't want to be a sarcastic asshole.

Second:
>Christ anon, i wasn't attacking you, i was just asking a question.

Seemed like an affirmation, In 4chan you can never know if someone is willing to have a decent conversation. I've had my share of trolls this week. Also, you said it was a "butchered incoherent story" but you didn't say why it was so.

Third:
>What is it about SU's story that you find incoherent?

Read my post again, I never said that I find SU incoherent, what I really said was that you can't say that Adventure Time's story is incoherent because *see >>82361604*
If you want to criticize any other aspect of the AT show, feel free to do it, but the story order actually makes sense.

The only thing I said about Steven Universe is that I can't stand it. Just that. I don't have anything against people that like the show, but I personally don't like it all that much. Even if the story is amazing and the colors are vibrant I don't want to watch. It is just like any other opinion, I myself prefer fantasy books over investigation books, it's just preference.
>>
>>82362331
I'm sorry?

>Breaking Bad
>Silicon Valley
>Mad Men
>The Wire
>Flaked
>Orange is the New Black
>Parks & Rec
>The Office
>Always Sunny
>Curb Your Enthusiasm
>Game of Thrones
>>
>>82362441
And then you have shows like The Big Bang Theory which are more popular than half of that list combined.
>>
File: 200.jpg (71 KB, 393x638) Image search: [Google]
200.jpg
71 KB, 393x638
>>82362441
ok, and how many of those are comfy to watch when you've had a bad day at work and don't want to think about anything negative you just feel like having fun. something to brighten your day up. hm?
>>
>>82359466
And whats with all the overt lesbian subtext?
>>
>>82359555
>Childrens' cartoons are targeted towards children who intrinsically need straightforward storytelling.
That's just a cultural belief. Japanese children's animation is much more complex. When Pokemon was brought over to the US it was streamlined because it was considered too ambiguous for American children. But it's not like Japanese and American children have genetically different levels of ability to understand narratives.

>>82361090
The trend I'm seeing in live action TV is more, not less, continuity, and making "serious" shows. Many video games have disappeared up their own ass because no fun allowed.
>>
Low standards persist past childhood.

Just look at how much praise gets heaped on Bojack Horseman just because people were expecting another Family Guy.
>>
>>82362529
Seinfeld always does it for me.
>>
File: lizard8.jpg (486 KB, 1600x1001) Image search: [Google]
lizard8.jpg
486 KB, 1600x1001
>>82362409
From what i'm gathering from this post you haven't actually watched SU, but are still able to come to the conclusion that you don't like it. So how are you able to say anything about it, if, just like gravity falls, you haven't watched enough of it to form a concrete opinion?

Again i'm not trying to attack you or anything im just curious
>>
>>82362610
Bojack Horseman is a great show without comparing it to shit shows like family guy though.
>>
>>82362523
Teen Titans Go also gets better ratings than Steven Universe or Adventure Time. But that isn't what this thread is about. It's about critical acclaim, praise, expectations, quality and standards and whether or not these shows are "good" or if they're just "good for children's shows".

>>82362529
>But it's not muh comfy is a valid complaint.
The Office, Parks and Rec, New Girl, Seinfeld, 30 Rock, My Name is Earl, Raising Hope Monk, fucking I Love Lucy, Roseanne. There's a Diagnosis Murder marathon going on right now on Hallmark channel if you want, it's a pretty chill old mystery show.

Don't act like that shit doesn't exist, there's about twenty live action shows to choose from for every one cartoon out there.
>>
>>82359972
That could be said about anything popular at one point though, after something ends its hard to keep up hype afterwards. Breaking Bad was one of the biggest shows ever and no one talks about it anymore because it ya'know, ended.
People still talk about Young Justice, FYI. just not as much
>>
>>82362754
I can still watch those shows and think SU/Gf are good shows. Theres an appeal from watching animated shows, that you don't get from live action. And vice versa of course.
>>
>>82359972
What, you expect people to keep talking about something reguarly after it ends. A year after The Walking Dead ends, no one will give a shit about it.
>>
>>82362754
Those aren't cartoons...?

Are you saying it's not okay for a cartoon to fill that role?
>>
>>82359982
Where's Tina from?
>>
>>82362850
You were implying that only cartoons were comfy and that's why you choose them over live-action, and the previous comment was about how there are no good writers in live action.
>>
>>82362899
I was not. Different anon.
>>
>>82359466
A lot of these shows are starting to mimic each other where they rely too heavily on gimmicks where they can introduce new conflicts to the plot based on how open and unpredictable their world is. Fantasy cartoons is becoming too bloated. It's the same feeling I had toward Over the Garden Wall.
>>
>>82362754
>Roseanne

Are you serious
>>
File: It's_Daijoubu.jpg (11 KB, 242x208) Image search: [Google]
It's_Daijoubu.jpg
11 KB, 242x208
>>82362643
There are some reasons as to why I don't like it, please be understanding as I don't want to offend anyone.

As some anons said up there, the fanbase. There isn't much to say, it is the same thing with MLP, people being creepy about some cartoon. Of course I understand that not everyone in the fanbase is this way because I myself liked Undertale and yet didn't make creepy fanfics/costumes/art about it. But it's a thing.

I find some characters personalities annoying. The whole "Girl Power" thing don't appeal much to me also.

I'm not being a intolerant mysoginistic ultra rape demon against-females guy. It's just that the female cast don't do anything for me, with some exception of course...

If you want me to say the names of the characters or describe the things that I didn't like, it will take me some time because I don't remember much their names (the whole jewel thing).
>>
>>82361052
>11 minutes is not an excuse when pre movie spongebob exists

That was over a decade ago.
>>
>>82363168
>Someone likes something I don't, they must be JOKING!!!
>>
>>82363158
That doesn't make sense.

I mean you're right that as seasons go on you have to pile more and more onto a fantasy world to introduce new plot points, but over the garden wall was a self contained thing. It's a retelling of dante's inferno. They didn't plan for anything afterwards, so there's no bloat.
>>
>>82359466
I'd argue Steven Universe is above mediocre.

Can't say the same for the other two though. I mean Gravity Falls is great in a lot of areas but the second half of its second season fell flat in a lot of ways too.
>>
>>82363202
ok i've heard enough
>>
>>82362683
It really isn't.

It tries to be, I'll give it that. It incorporates an overarching continuity, mature themes, character development. It just doesn't do any of these very well and brings down the general quality of the show with clumsy attempts at humor aside ponderous "dramatic" monologues.
>>
>>82362869
Robert's Hamburgers
>>
>>82359555
>>82361052
>>82363213
She and Her Cat has 8 minute long episodes, including OP/ED. PuPiPo (a children's anime) has 4 minute long episodes. Yama no Susume has 3.5 minute long episodes in the first season and 13.5 minute long episodes in the second.
>>
>>82363317
Then why has it received critical acclaim? Are all these people who like these shows justwrong and fail to see how shit they are? Like where do we draw the line exactly, betwen a show thats actualy good, and some peple just butting heads about varying opinions?
>>
>>82359555
>children who intrinsically need straightforward storytelling.

fattest wad of bullshit i've heard all day on this god foresaken site
>>
>>82363428
Just because other people do it doesn't mean it's a good idea for a serialized cartoon.

The fact that a half hour episode for these shows are considered "Parts 1 and 2" is a fucking joke.
>>
who cares they're both tumblr
>>
>>82363474
I don't see why the length wouldn't work for a show like SU. Maybe they just aren't doing it right. I haven't watched SU so I don't know.
>>
>>82362576
The main cast is 80% women with a single adult male in there.
Either you get lesbos or a shitty harem and SU ain't that weeaboo.
>>
>>82363512
What does that even mean?
>>
>>82363454
>Then why has it received critical acclaim?

Because it spent the first 6 episodes lowering people's expectations by being a bad sitcom. Bojack is "good" when you're expecting it to be another Family Guy, but that doesn't mean it's still not amateurish.

Here's the thing about criticism. It's not done in a vacuum. People don't judge a show based entirely off its own merits and deficiencies. They take note of things like how rare it is for ANY american animated show to even attempt something as ambitious as a character study. So compared to its competitors (of which there are few to none), it's practically on top.

On its own, it could stand to improve in almost every aspect. But because the bar is set at Family Guy, things like R&M and Bojack get hailed as "AMAZING," "INCREDIBLE," and assertions like "THE BEST ANIMATED SHOW" get thrown around.
>>
>>82363202
That's some weak sauce reasoning you have going there, buddy.
>>
>>82363991
Burn Notice is pretty damn good.
>>
>>82363756
I dont understand why people love Bojack so much. It's like when they see mature topics being acted out by cute animals it's all of a sudden tolerable.

If that was show translated to a live action sitcom no one would have watched it.
>>
>>82359466
Took you this long to figure that out
>>
>>82364226
It was a tragedy and Netflix's first show so yeah people would have seen it anyways if they used Netflix.
Plus, tragedy is hard to come by nowadays.
>>
>>82364305
Figure what out?
>>
>>82364337
That the writing it not that good
>>
>>82364226
>I dont understand why people love Bojack so much.

Because Bojack stokes their egos by implying that having depression means you're more intelligent and self-aware than everyone else.
>>
>>82363202
>Girl Power

The gems literally cannot complete missions without Steven's help. Just thought I'd point that out.
>>
>>82364427
Subjective.
>>
>>82359466
well what do you consider to be good writing?
>>
>>82359466
Oh boy we have someone who thinks they're a writing expert.
>>
>>82359629
>I haven't finished it; last episode I watched was a Tale of Two Stans, but the writing and script are very impressive for a children's cartoon, especially since GF wasn't really made with just pre-teens in mind

Tale of Two Stan's was the last good episode before the series jumps off a cliff in terms of quality.
>>
>>82365879
What happens?
>>
>>82366980
It becomes really rushed. Apparently the creator tried to fit two entire seasons into one.
>>
>>82364692
No, you do not get to use that easy out.
>>
>>82367037
What easy way out? Does this look like 'Nam?
Subjective is subjective.
>>
File: persecig.png (91 KB, 290x280) Image search: [Google]
persecig.png
91 KB, 290x280
>>82359466
>Compare the decade's big hit to the entire history of media and entertainment and it's not so good.

No shit.
>>
>>82362529
The Wire is pretty good for that.
>>
>>82367075
Writing can have objective or persuasive flaws in it.
>>
>>82367100
This.
>>
There isn't anything these shows are doing "wrong" necessarily. You have the wrong perspective, OP.
>>
>>82359466
I have been a fan of GF since it's inception, saw the livestreams of many episodes (as I live in south america), and overall enjoyed the series, sans those terrible hiatuses that is.

But man if it's quality is overblown as all hell, sure the mysteries where nice, the characters overall great, the animation and music always top notch, among other great things, but Jesus Christ if the writing could be shit at times:

>All those episodes focusing on Dipper being awkward
>Mabel always being in the right, while at the same time remaining heavily underdeveloped
>All those Dipper loves Wendy episodes
>The lackluster B-plots of most episodes
>That fucking sad guitar rift
>The constant sausegefest
>A tale of two stans
>Ford's lack of development
>Stan going full retard during the finale
>The anti-Bill circle thing being completely useless after years of hyping it up
>Heavy underuse of females for anything but shipping
>McGruket's reveal that basically was used for jack shit.

Seriously, so many flaws, the lore episodes where always great, but there's a reason why people never seems to talk about the other ones.
>>
>>82368540
>constant sausage fest
What?
>>
>>82368597
I'm no tumblrcunt or anything, but I hate it when a show uses male character for most of the time, specially if it already has established females.

Seriously, I know this sounds like SJW bullshit, but I have always found this annoying.
>>
File: 3457234jpg.jpg (68 KB, 1300x923) Image search: [Google]
3457234jpg.jpg
68 KB, 1300x923
>>82359466

>This thread again

its all fucking subjective
>>
>>82369041
I mean if the male characters are really well written, I'd look the other way. But again, they'd have to be really well written.
>>
>>82359466

Why lump Steven Universe in the same league as AT/GF?

I love the show to death but it's only good half the time(basically all the Gem-focused eps). At least the other two shows are consistent
>>
>>82369309
bro Adventure Time is so inconsistent it's actually impressive, SU ain't on that level.
>>
>>82369309
I think most Sadie episodes are nice, the Onion ones can go fuck themselves though.

Also
>AT
>Same league as GF

2013 was three years ago m8.
>>
>>82369309
If SU is good half the timr then at is good only 1/4 of the time. And Gravity falls became a huge mixed bag.
>>
File: fixit.jpg (15 KB, 620x352) Image search: [Google]
fixit.jpg
15 KB, 620x352
What was as good as the Ventrure Bros season 4 finale?
>>
>>82369446
>>82369500

Diff strokes then. I think the newer AT eps have some sort of weird charm to them. Like, you're certain they'll have fuckall to do with plot or character development, it'll just be a fun and bizarre 10 minute experience

I'll take those over Sadie's Song or Love Letters any day
>>
File: Love letter to Anon.jpg (53 KB, 640x359) Image search: [Google]
Love letter to Anon.jpg
53 KB, 640x359
>>82369713
>Love Letters
>>
>>82370175
What was so bad about Love Letters?
>>
>>82370249
kinda contridicts a later episode
>>
>>82370292
Which one?
>>
>>82369713
>Sadie's song

Fuck me I forgot about that fucking trainwreck, the first episode where I actually hate her character.
>>
>>82370292
How?
>>
>>82370306
the answer
>>
>>82370361
Isn't there a book being released though?
>>
File: 978675646.jpg (33 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
978675646.jpg
33 KB, 400x400
>>82359466
>This thread again
>>
>>82370249
Nothing I just wanted to post that.
>>
>>82370341
What would you hate about Sadie's character? She's pretty bare bones.
>>
>>82370400
its and episode and book
>>
>>82367259
You'd have to actually qualify what that would mean first. Objectivity can exist in many things, but the problem is that a lot of it is relative. For things like entertainment, objectively "good" or "bad" only exist if you actually qualify those statements with criteria, and even then at the end of the day it does matter if they still don't subjectively entertain you personally.
>>
>>82370444
it wasn't much her but how dry the episode was.

Nothing really foreshadowing.It would be better as a comic than an episode.
>>
>>82370493
>does
doesn't* my bad.
>>
Well at least its not 80s level of writing. Like He man levels of writing.
>>
>>82359629
>Tale of Two Stans
>good writing

I couldn’t help wondering why Stan and Ford were willing to just spill their guts about their whole backstory. You’d think it would be emotionally charged and full of details they’d rather not remember.

Also, isn’t that sort of a missed opportunity? Dipper and Mabel trying to tease out the backstory from Stan and Ford, little details at a time, or something like that?Maybe the episode would have been actually interesting to watch.
>>
>>82359466
You’re all talking about the writing. I think Gravity Fall’s animation is overrated. fite me
>>
>>82371030
Why fight? The animation wasn't anything groundbreaking.
>>
>>82371205
It had it's moments. But they were just moments.
>>
>>82359466
Apples and oranges, moron
>>
>>82369446
>I think most Sadie episodes are nice

to me Sadies song is one of the worst episodes ever in the show

Forced drama, another forced musica, the problem is that ''my mom cares too much!!!''

fuck that
>>
>>82371452
You mean shit and oranges
>>
>>82371598
Most of the side characters in the show can take a hike. Jamie and Connie are the only ones are aren't complete shit.
>>
>>82371669

I think that most of them feel flat, like an adult talking down to kids via characters
>>
>>82371632
Yeah because capshit is garbage
>>
File: 1437670524429.jpg (18 KB, 293x219) Image search: [Google]
1437670524429.jpg
18 KB, 293x219
>>82367027
Even considering that, it was still terrible because it was clear they ran out of ideas for the characters.

>bbringing back the Wendy side plot after it died with dignity in Into the Bunker
>double down on justifying Mabel's bullshit
>have Stan go completely OOC because they wrote themselves into a wall
>plot holes everywhere

A season 3 would've ruined this show if this was any indication.
>>
>>82359466
How good are the main characters of Adventure Time (Finn), Gravity Falls (Dipper), and Steven Universe (Steven) from a character depth and personality standpoint?
>>
No, Steven Universe are both good in different ways, though both probably could have been much better.

What neither were was great and game-changing like the first AtLA series.

Most art and entertainment is terribly written.
>>
File: 3163788.png (241 KB, 416x322) Image search: [Google]
3163788.png
241 KB, 416x322
the important thing is that these shows have given me pages of weird asian fan art to look at
>>
>>82374173
>Finn
Meh

>Dipper
Good

>Steven
Decent
>>
>>82374211
SU needs more world building and its plot is meh but I still love it though I just wish it could be more you know.
>>
>>82359466
>live-action serialized works
Most of those are trash too with the benefit of people not being more critical of them unlike cartoons.
>>
>>82362608
>much more complex
>Pokemon
Even the anime is nothing to write home about.
>>
>>82364452
they did missions without him all the time back before the monster gems got sidelined for the homeworld plot, it was just off camera because the whole show is Steven's perspective
>>
File: bait-ninja.gif (95 KB, 450x524) Image search: [Google]
bait-ninja.gif
95 KB, 450x524
>>82359466
why have so many people fallen for the bait?
>>
>>82381540
bait is just how you start a thread on /co/ these days, we've officially become another reddit

the only reason they say "(thing) is not as good as people say" instead of "(thing) is garbage" is because the latter tends to get deleted
>>
>>82371669
>>82371817
Explain.
>>
>>82371598
>forced musical
Huh?
>>
>>82371669
>>82371817
>Jamie and Connie
>talking shit about Greg
What madness is this?
>>
>>82380351
Yes, Pokemon is also more complex. Like I said, it was streamlined for the US release because it was deemed too ambiguous for American children. It was also censored, as was Sailor Moon (American children can't handle homosexual and lesbian characters).
>>
>>82359466
AT needs more credit. I don't care if they've disapeared down their navel, it's fascinating that they're brave enough to let their writers make absolutely insane episodes in a childrens show.
>>
>>82381916
>I don't like thing is bait
>But I like thing is a serious thread and considered acceptable generals!

ok.
>>
>>82361052
... Yeah, and Spongebob isn't interested in complex narratives like SU and GF. Of course I agree that it is better, but comparing spongebob to something trying to have a long running meaningful story is pretty dumb
>>
>>82363776
People don't need to have reasons to not like things anon
>>
>>82383011

Well, liking things is constructive and enjoyable, while complaining that you don't is just pointless bitching, so yes.
>>
>>82383573
They don't but nevertheless, the anon brought up some weakass reasoning.
>>
>>82383589
It's this attitude why people like Dobson exist.
>>
>>82383754

You're an idiot. Dobson is a case of critique directed at an individual creator who willfully disregarded all feedback. Talking about shows or comics is completely dissociated from the creative teams which make them, so all you're doing is looking for validation of your own opinions. Most people on this site are incapable of real criticism anyway, which is not simply disliking something and going into detail which parts you didn't like.
>>
>>82383968
But the fact that you think constant praise is a "discussion" while criticism is bait is fucking retarded. If anything, criticism is more of a discussion because at least it's not an echochamber of "IT'S GREAT" and people will actually butt heads and talk about the show rather than just posting reaction image and waifu shit because they love it so much.
>>
>>82359466
I think these shows all have merrits that make them stand out.
Adventure time has a sense of tabletop and rpgs turned into a kids cartoon and tries to build on what little characterization there is instead of ignoring it entirely.

Gravity falls is more about the mystery and comedy and while every episode solves a little problem, many of them bring light to or add to your knowledge of what's really going on.

Steven Universe is a coming of age story that also deals more with relationships and finding your place in the world. While the overarching story is building to something bigger, they stay very personal so that you can see how the characters feel towards one another more than focus on the humongous scale of their impending doom.
>>
>>82384653

Please don't put words in my mouth.

People who like the show as a whole and are discussing specific aspects of it they like/dislike have the opportunity to influence each other's opinions because they have common ground which they can use to work towards understanding each other's perspective. There is the potential to have people find new things to enjoy, or to understand new ways of looking at the show. The criticism we see in the OP is purely for validation of his existing opinions; he explicitly states he dislikes something and just wants to see how many other people have the same opinion. There's no opportunity to convince him otherwise, no opportunity for dialogue, no discussion, no constructive result. It is an echo chamber of exactly the kind you describe.
>>
does anyone have the document with all the gravity falls download locations listed? encoded is fine
Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.