[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ratchet & Clank
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75
File: maxresdefault.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
126 KB, 1280x720
The movie comes out tomorrow, but reviews are barely trickling out. The reviews that are being posted are resoundingly negative. What will this mean for Sly Cooper and other animated video game adaptations in the future?
>>
That's what they get for rehashing the first game again.
>>
>Caring about reviews
Holy shit just watch the movie and see if you like it yourself
>>
>>82290674
B-buh-but muh Rotten Tomatoes..:!!
>>
>>82290674
Fuck you.
>>
>>82290674
Review embargoes are never a sign of positivity.
>>
>>82290674
stupid logic
>>
>>82290614
to be fair it looks really pretty
>>
>>82290601
>The reviews that are being posted are resoundingly negative
Well, can't say I'm that surprised.
>>
>>82290674
>reviews are negative
>don't read reviews
>pay money to see it
>complain you had a bad time
FUCKING WINDOWS 98
>>
File: It'sNotFair.png (359 KB, 907x719) Image search: [Google]
It'sNotFair.png
359 KB, 907x719
>>82290601
I guess they released the game first hoping to drum up hype for a movie they knew would suck...

Good video game movies will never be a thing.
>>
>>82290847
scott pilgrim and wreck it ralph are honest-to-goodness decent video game movies
>>
>>82290847
At least we have wakfu and crush-it chris
>>
>>82290847
>he didn't like the Super Mario movie

anyway what about anime? I'm no weaboo but.... pokémon.
>>
>>82290863
>Scott Pilgrim.

A movie based on a graphic novel.

>Wreck It Ralph.
A movie about fake video game characters that had cameos from actual video game characters.

Got anymore?
>>
>>82290919
fuck off with your pedantry. they both incorporate video game logic, motifs, and elements in their core design.
>>
>>82290601
At first when I heard about the ame releasing with the movie , I thought "Well , They have just released a game to cash in with the movie"

Having played the game now and seeing the trailers again, it feels like the exact opposite:Creating a movie so can it can cash in with the game.

Being a nostalgiafag who loves the saga, its so fucking sad we get something of this caliber
>>
>>82290601
You have any links to those reviews, by any chance ?
>>
>>82290966

That's still not a video game movie. We're talking about movies based on existing video games or video game franchises.
>>
>>82291080
Unbreakable is not based on a comic-book.

It is still the best comic-book movie ever made.
>>
>>82291120
unbreakable is not a good movie

shamalalien is a hack
>>
>>82290905
>He liked the Super Mario movie
>>
>>82291120
Call it a superhero movie, not a comic book movie.
>>
Is Qwark still evil in this one?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

this list is pretty pathetic

spirits within, uwe boll, and the resident evil movies are the most notable. also they can't ever get hitman right.
>>
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/04/28/ratchet-and-clank-gives-video-game-cut-scenes-a-bad-name---revie/ jesus christ, that's a shitty review. Are people really taking this movie seriously to review it? They seem like just comparing it to other animated movies and throwing it aside
>>
>>82291255
what else are critics supposed to do?
>>
>>82290601
What could possibly go wrong!?
>>
>>82291149
One day you'll have to stop sucking dick anon. Why not today?

>>82291173
The movie references comic books extensively and almost all of the foreshadowing is based on comic imagery.

Shyamalan also eschewed his "Discount Spielberg" sensibilities and framed all shots like comic panels. What else does it have to do to be a comic book movie?

>>82291203
Horror Fans like the first Silent Hill, but your average horror fan is like you average heavy metal and capeshit fan. Filthy formalists is the most polite way to describe them.
>>
>>82290863
Hardcore Henry and Crank 2 are the best video game movies.
>>
>Surprisingly
Anon, I love Ratchet and Clank too but the writing never rose above being more than Saturday morning quality.

It's for the fans of the games and no one else
>>
>>82291624
i'm sorry i don't like your shit movie :-(
>>
>>82291863
True that and Sony didn't seem to have way too much confidence in it, hell I forgot this movie was coming out.

Most platformer characters are more cartoon material than movies. I guess they are just testing the waters to see what can make a boat load of money next. Lets face it when the superhero movie pool dries up then video games are probably going to be the next one. All it will take is one video game movie actually makes a shitload of money for hollywood to jump on that bandwagon.
>>
>>82290847
>Good video game movies will never be a thing.

>he says while posting screenshot from an amazing and highly-rated show that plays on video game tropes and iconagraphy.

Face it, the problem isn't that video game movies are bad. It's that developers won't stop signing over movie rights to incompetent idiots.
>>
>>82292130

Movies and TV shows aren't the same thing
>>
>>82290847
>>82292130
...This was made and written by the game's developers
>>
>>82290812
Don't pay for it then faggot.

Be patient and download it like the rest of us.
>>
>>82292660
you aren't addressing my argument.

reviews are useful when making purchasing decisions.
>>
>>82292709
Except when they're not. Did you like the games? If so, see the movie. If not, don't.

Simple as that
>>
>>82290863
wreck it ralph was bad tho and scott pilgrim was funny but in no way a good movie
>>
>>82291255
Wow, that review was genuinely awful. While I'm sure some points are valid (That running gag sounds pretty bad), the emphasis on "second hand cringe" was in itself cringeworthy. Who comes up with this crap?
>>
>>82292628

>written by game developers

Well there's your problem
>>
>>82292792
I liked Ratchet and Clank as a toy. As a game. Not once did I enjoy it for its narrative content.

Also: How is the opinion of someone who SAW THE MOVIE not useful, whether it be by taking their points into consideration or seeing how they could be incorrect in their assessments?

It's literally free data.
>>
File: 712-54.jpg (24 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
712-54.jpg
24 KB, 640x360
>>82290601
Eh I dunno, some of the more scathing reviews come from people that sound like they have no idea what the source material is

>Two further team-mates, Elaris (Rosario Dawson) and Cora (Bella Thorne), are token "strong women" whose creepily nubile physiques are jarringly at odds with the cartoonish design elsewhere. (There’s no word in English for the kind of second-hand cringe this stuff sends rippling across your shoulder blades, but in German, it’s fremdscham: vicarious shame.)
>>
>>82292858
That's the one thing we haven't tried. If that turns to shit, well then I guess there is no good way to adapt games to film.
>>
File: mai_soul.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
mai_soul.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>82291255
>Are people really taking this movie seriously to review it? They seem like just comparing it to other animated movies and throwing it aside

The reviews I'm reading aren't really comparing it to animated movies, they're more or less throwing in any visual references they can think of from movies and comic books, even if said comparisons are from source material that doesn't pre-date the Ratchet and Clank franchise. Much of them don't even fit at all:
http://www.timeout.com/london/film/ratchet-clank

This guy not only compares Ratchet to Rocket Raccoon (his 2008 reboot because "Huuurrrr fuzzy character with a gun") and Captain Quark to Leela from Futurama......because 'loud space captain' I guess.

Oh yeah, and I guess we were bound to run into one SJW along the lines. This woman is deeply offended at Ratchet's lack of vagina as he tries to build himself from the ground up to being an intergalactic hero. Also, Ratchet and Clank is reminiscent of Sonic The Hedgehog, who would've thought.
http://www.flickfilosopher.com/2016/04/ratchet-clank-movie-review-wretched-and-junk.html

Still, even reading more lenient reviews suggest that this movie is just 'okay' at being a relatively fun family film. Of course the humor from the games is going to be pretty dry at this point and much of the movie itself was really peeled off as 'extra content' from the game that was released weeks ago. Its definitely not going to impress anyone looking for a high-grade movie of Disney/Dreamworks fare.
>>
File: 1455336253265.jpg (37 KB, 400x447) Image search: [Google]
1455336253265.jpg
37 KB, 400x447
Deep down, I knew it would be shit. I just didn't want to believe that one of my favorite game series would flop on the big screen.
>>
>>82292957
Or maybe you just never liked Ratchet and Clank
>>
Pretty sad of Nintendo to bribe no-name reviewers to give Ratchet & Clank bad reviews
>>
>>82293159
Nintendo bias! Mario movie to get 100% on RT
>>
>>82293101
You know damn well that this was supposed to be the 'groundhog' test. If the first one does fine, others may try. But since it probably won't, no studio will even come close to making movie adaptations of their games. They'll point to Ratchet and Clank and say
>That's why we should never make an Overwatch movie. Well just give it to someone else to fuck up.
>Assassin's Creed movie? nah
>Fuck, just make Dark Souls IV: Why Aren't You Dead Yet edition. No point in sticking our necks out to get it chopped off.
>>
>>82290712
No u, you fucking ape.
>>
>>82290601
It lacks the soul of what made R&C R&C. This movie is some streamlined inoffensive mass-marketed crap and unlike the game it doesn't have some fun gameplay to carry it.
>>
>>82293076
Blame Sony for going cheap on the budget and hiring a director who was more interested in creating a Norm of the North-like movie.
Read https://tjfixman.wordpress.com/2016/04/02/a-farewell-to-lombaxes/ , after working with the director, the writer of the video game has done his best to cut as many ties with the movie as he can. I feel bad for the guy.
>>
File: 1411603536275.jpg (70 KB, 546x381) Image search: [Google]
1411603536275.jpg
70 KB, 546x381
>>82292930
Yeah I'm gonna just go with the critics don't know what they're talking about

>Sure, there have been a handful of nine-figure blockbusters, most notably the “Tomb Raider” and “Resident Evil” franchises
>>
>>82291863
I know. But the first three games had a dry cynacism to it (Dr. Nefarious, the first game being about a guy collecting plants because his was polluted). I think when humor evolved past-Futurama tier in the post-10's, it was harder to find the game funny or clever.
>>
>>82290601
I never had any hope whatsoever that this movie was going to be good. I could already tell from the trailer that it was going to suck ass.
>>
>>82292930
I have no idea who Elaris and Cora are. How are they token "strong women"? Is it something stupid where they would make the same claim towards Angela or Talwyn?
>>
>>82293218
>He doesn't know about the Assassin's Creed movie already made and due for December
>He doesn't know about Angry Birds
>He doesn't know abou Warcraft.
Ratchet is the throw away movie, nobody had any faith in it. That's why they were pushing the game.

If any movie is gonna prove their salt for vg movies it's going to be Warcraft. Hell, it's outright been said if it does well that might open the gate for a Half Life movie
>>
>>82293407
Some reboot characters, that filled the same role as Sasha, and Talwyn.

Really not much has changed from those characters aside from getting a reskin.
>>
File: Frog Boss.png (1 MB, 554x842) Image search: [Google]
Frog Boss.png
1 MB, 554x842
If you ask me, the writing of the Ratchet and Clank games never evolved past the PS2 era. Sure, things got more serious in the PS3 era, but the dramatic writing in the Future trilogy was as good as the comedic writing in the rest of the franchise-- it was mediocre. The dramatic arc of the Future trilogy was, for lack of a better term, trope-heavy and generic. Even titles like Killzone pulled off a better story.
>>
File: 1412109308308.jpg (328 KB, 2502x3203) Image search: [Google]
1412109308308.jpg
328 KB, 2502x3203
>>82293418
Except those are vg movies given to a movie studio rather than being done by the developers. And that has already been shown in the past to get you processed dog shit.
>Read about A.C film. Gonna be shit
>Angry Birds movie. Trailer was utter shit
>Warcraft movie. Expensive rehashed generic shit
>>
the problem with game movies is that games are already so cinematic these days, why even bother watching a movie when you'd probably be doing the same thing while playing a game anyway.
>>
Odd, I haven't seen bad reviews except French ones (apparently the french dub is beyond awful) and the few I have seen have been pretty positive.

Nobody is claiming is fantastic, but say its okay and still fun; Which is all i was asking.
>>
>>82293589
>that most recent warcraft trailer with wubstep
it's gonna fall flat on its face
>>
>>82290674

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYKeQczkFfM
>>
>>82293589
>Thinking a movie based a property normies know and love won't make money regardless of score
>Shitting on based Duncan Jones
Your casual is showing
>>
>>82293699
Pretty much this. I'm not expecting an amazing movie, I'm just expecting to have a good time in a world with characters I like.

Though I'm more excited to start the game, I've been waiting until I see the movie to play it.
>>
>>82293719
See what I mean. It was clear long ago that when game devs hand their IP to some bigwig in Hollywood, it's gonna fall flat on its face because no one knows what the hell they are working with

>Writers don't know the game, so they'll just drops names and characters, and shoehorn in generic plot #183 for a script.
>Directors don't know the game, so they make changes that any gamer would tell them is utterly stupid but there is no one around to tell them to stop.

The current line of vg films is no better. Main difference is that those are going to fail on a bigger budget.
>>
>>82293796
no courtney gears no ticket
>>
>>82293589
Blizzard's heavily involved with the Warcraft movie
>>
File: resident_evil_69303.jpg (214 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
resident_evil_69303.jpg
214 KB, 600x300
>>82293765
>Thinking just because a game has a 'normie' following will make it good
>Thinking Duncan can save Warcraft when it was clear by trailer 2 it was going to shit
How quick we forget the past.
>>
>>82293808
One of the main writers is from Blizzard
>>
>>82293848
blizzard also shut down nostralius and released pandaria
>>
>>82290966
What an idiot you are. They are not videogame movies.
That's like calling Darkman a comic adaption.
>>
>>82292130
>that plays on video game tropes and iconagraphy.
No, it plays on anime cliches.
>>
>>82293848
That isn't a point in their favor at this point.

>>82293878
And writers of Ratchet and Clank were from Insomniac, you're point?
>>
>>82290601
This really saddens me. I have always loved Ratchet & Clank.
>>
>>82293907
sure. they aren't video game movies.

but they're a whole lot better than the pig shit slop that currently fall under that umbrella
>>
>>82293931
It was one writer who's been mediocre forever
>>
>>82293877
1. I Was referring to Angry Birds when talking about normie loved games and I still mean it. Fucking Minions made over 1billion dollars
2.Trailers don't mean shit. Or just bacsue BvS had a good trailer it's suddenly a great movie
3. RE was always made by incompetent retards. Games included
>>
>>82293977
That's more the fault of the crappy videogame adaptions, not an accomplishment on their behalf.
>>
So how is the movie anyway? Is it good?
>>
>>82293931
That the games always had medicore writing and that shouldn't dictate how you feel about them?
What the hell do you want from a vg movie anyway?
>>
Haven't seen any kind of marketing of this movie at all besides the trailer that was released almost 2 years ago.
If they aren't marketing it, people won't watch it. Just look at all the marketing Disney did before Zootopia with several trailers, posters, movie spoofs/parodies and whatnot. Everyone knew about the movie before they saw it.
This one one the other hand, i haven't even seen a single ad.

That being said, i will watch it. I like the games and that one trailer was enough for me to consider.
>>
File: 1388609749026.jpg (74 KB, 495x636) Image search: [Google]
1388609749026.jpg
74 KB, 495x636
>>82294008
And the writer for Warcraft is coming from Blizzard. The same company that had its head up its ass since Mists of Panderia.

>>82294014
>Fucking Minions made over 1billion dollars
And it's still reviled.
>Trailers don't mean shit
It's still a first impression. And the impression I get is total garbage
>RE was always made by incompetent retards. Games included
Yet everyone was pissing themselves with glee when it was announced.

We need to face facts, that a medium where a story can go for 5+ hours and goes at the pace of the consumer, will not translate well to a medium where 2 hours is starting to overreach and no pauses in between.
>>
>>82294128
To be made by the developers. Always including a 3rd party in the creation of anything complicates thing and hampers the end result. Not just in film, but in games as well.

Instead of passing the IP around like a cheap whore, hold onto the damn thing and make it in house.
>>
>>82293836
Definitely needs more fan art.

...as well as the Valkyries.
>>
would this have been better as a tv show rather than a movie?
>>
>>82294205
>And it's still reviled.
I did't say it wasn't. I'm saying Angry Birds might be shit, but still be the most successful vg movie ever.

As for Warcraft, Duncan is writing and directing. Who is by far the highest pedigree any vg movie has ever gotten.
>>
>>82294328
dustin pls draw us some robobooty

fart/belly inflation optional, i'm into it but i know not everyone is
>>
>>82294239
Then go see the fucking Ratcht and Clank movie and stop bitching. RC is exactly that
>>
What happened? You faggots were shilling for this studio hardcore, and they even had the original voice actors.
>>
File: image.jpg (420 KB, 1200x1736) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
420 KB, 1200x1736
>>82290674
Shit up, Max Landis. Just because RT never gave your shitty movies good scores doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Try making good movies next time, you ugly looking fruit.

Also your dad is a child-killer
>>
>>82293317
Oh man. I had no idea...I feel a little better knowing this was the fault of the shitty director instead of the actual writer(s) from the games. I enjoyed the writing in the Future trilogy for what it was, and while generic, it wasn't straight up bad like the movie apparently is.
I hope the Sly movie never sees the light of day because Kevin Munroe will only ruin that one too and I don't think my heart could take it.
>>
>Norm of the North
>Sausage Party*
>Now R&C.
Is 2016 the year of JUST animated cinema?
*The SP script script and it's Foodfight tier horrible.
>>
The AV Club published a review but the page is gone now. They actually made them take down a bad review, what the hell?
>>
>>82294512
Max "up to my knees in dead Vietnamese" Landis is like 4chan. He only cares about reviews when the numbers on his side.
>>
>>82291187
He still betrays everyone and you even get a boss fight against him in the game, but he shows more remorse and eventually patches things up with Ratchet.
>>
>>82294668
What the fuck? This is some GamerGate bullshit
>>
>>82293551
I thought Crack in Time was the best written one. It had some genuinely touching parts, some strong humor that almost felt as good as the PS2 one, and I liked how Azimuth and Orvus were foils to each other without being heavy handed.
>>
File: 1430848129212.png (439 KB, 909x512) Image search: [Google]
1430848129212.png
439 KB, 909x512
Apparently it's awful. A lot of the reviews are ripping on it for having kiddie humor/not having the humor of the OT
>>
>>82294205
>>Fucking Minions made over 1billion dollars
>And it's still reviled.
I hate to say this but normies absolutely love that shit
>>
>>82293274
did you see it?
>>
>>82290905
Pokemon movies are never anything impressive for anyone other then fans of Pokemon.
Their really just extensions of the anime
>>
>>82290966
this isn't pedantry, pedantry would be saying movie X is based on game Y but didn't include princess buttfuck

this is fucking stating obvious facts
>>
I'm curious as to what the jokes are like.
>>
At least the game turned out well.
>>
>>82295608
forgive me for considering movies with 1-ups, continues, cash drops on enemies, glitches, and a fucking hub world with sonic pacman burger time zangief and qbert in the NOT VIDEO GAMES camp
>>
>>82295095
It has Ratchet & Clank humor, it's not going to be Dreamworks or Pixar or anything. I'm going in as a R&C fan, not I HOPE THIS MOVIE IS GOOD.
>>
File: 247.gif (407 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
247.gif
407 KB, 250x250
>>82295737
>Yeah, video game movies. You know, like Pixels and Scott Pilgrim.
>>
>>82295628
I fear toned down even more so than PS3 era.
>>
>>82295795
i'm sorry movies with video games in them are better than video game movies :-(
>>
File: PicsArt_04-14-02.02.55.jpg (21 KB, 425x283) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_04-14-02.02.55.jpg
21 KB, 425x283
>>82290674
>There are people bashing this idea
>>
>>82295763
so... lowering expectations for the sake of fan loyalty?
>>
>>82290674
when 90% of reviews say "oh god it's shit" the chances are it's probably shit. Reviews are helpful for deciding how to spend your time and money, and being contrarian on this topic isn't going to change that.
>>
>>82290601

I want to fuck Ratchet's tight alien boypussy
>>
File: p14798_p_v8_aa.jpg (296 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p14798_p_v8_aa.jpg
296 KB, 960x1440
>>82290601
>There will never be a movie based off of a video game to surpass pic related.
>>
>>82290601
The biggest problem is it looks like Ratchet and Clank, but waaayyy more typical Hollywood animated movie level. Kind of kills the entire bizarre and fun nature of R&C.
>>
>>82295878
No. What he's saying is go in with the RIGHT expectations

You don't Spongebob expecting Game of Thrones do you?
>>
>>82290601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSWj5_-F9Q4
>>
>>82290601
>Movie Coming out tomorrow
>Going against Civil War in some countries
Holy fuck, this thing is dead on arrival
>>
File: based Duncan.png (11 KB, 735x326) Image search: [Google]
based Duncan.png
11 KB, 735x326
>>82293877
>>82294205
Here's what he's done.

If the movie still ends up being shit, I'm sorry it's not the directors or studios fault, maybe, just maybe the source material was mediocre at best, and garbage at worst anyway.
>>
File: 1459308125688.jpg (18 KB, 417x242) Image search: [Google]
1459308125688.jpg
18 KB, 417x242
>captain quark fell for the technicool meme
>>
>>82290601
>Movie based off a video game sucks.
Who would have thought?
>>
>>82296417
I don't get the big deal about Source Code. The plot was pretty generic, desu. And did it end with Jake living in the body of a History teacher without having a clue how to teach History?
>>
>>82296559
In our defense, Insomniac was rather involved on this one, so we had some reason to hope it'd be good.
>>
Im hoping all of these reviewers are SJWs and there was one good anti-SJW joke in the film. Is the fat trainer robot in the first one in it as a feminest?
>>
>>82297137
>Is the fat trainer robot in the first one in it as a feminest?

Nope, she isn't even in the PS4 game.
>>
File: mother_of_god.jpg (61 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
mother_of_god.jpg
61 KB, 500x349
>>82296287
>If it's a remake of a classic, rent the classic!

>Just saw the trailer for the Magnificent Seven remake

There are no words in any language that can adequately describe this feeling.
>>
>>82290847
that new final fantasy movie looks pretty good
>>
>>82297137
Helga isn't even in the remake, so don't expect her to be in the movie.
>>
>>82290674
If a movie comes out and I think it looks really cool no matter what the critics say, of course I'm going to go see it and decide for myself.

But if a movie is coming out that I could completely see turning out badly, yeah, I'm going to trust the critics and not waste my money. I wanted Ratchet and Clank to be good but I was well-aware that there was a significant chance it cold turn out shitty.
>>
I feel the need to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSonz-GfgHs
>>
>>82290847
not really relevant but i know of a funny opposite example; the peter jackson king kong video game is an absolute fucking masterpiece while the film is a CGI mess that people only remember for Jack Black
>>
>>82292709
>reviews are useful when making purchasing decisions

Ahhh yes. Just like how Supergirl the TV series has a higher critic score than Daredevil and Age of Ultron. Surely critics are never wrong.
>IT'S BECAUSE SHE'S A GIRL ISN'T IT?!!
>>
>>82295932
What if 90% of reviewers are saying Supergirl and SWTFA are good? Do you believe them?
>>
>>82297235
FFXV is SUPPOSED to be a video game, though.
>>
>>82293317
Man, fuck Kevin Munroe
>>
>>82297237
>fat robot waifu isn't in the game

O-okay...
>>
File: Ratchet-and-Clank.jpg (677 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Ratchet-and-Clank.jpg
677 KB, 1920x1080
Well, at least the game is fantastic. For $40 getting one of the best and brightest games of the year was a bargain for me. I hadn't played an R&C since Up Your Arsenal so this was a hoot.
>>
>>82290674
>movie with mostly negative reviews turns out to be good
never happened to me
>>
>>82298384
type home alone in rotton tomatoes
>>
>>82298401
home alone has way more positive reviews than ratchet and clank and I never liked that movie: I'm too young and it doesn't have nostalgic value for me, just a dumb comedy with ridiculous premise
>>
>Reviews says it awful
>Haven't seen one single review that goes lower than "It was okay"

None seem to say it's fantastic, and does have issues, but beyond reviews from other countries (apparently the dubs suck) I have't heard anything disastrous about it. I I see is 3 out of fives and 7-5 that, honestly, was right about the scale I expected from this movie. (Animation giants just have the bar too high for anyone with low budget to win)

Can I see some of these reviews that claim it's awful? I just feel people in this thread seem to be jumping way too early for a OP post that doesn't even have a source, that's all.
>>
>>82298677
Saw the movie early screening. It ain't as bad as people make it out to be but it ain't a 8 or 9 out of ten either. It is a bit of a run-in-the-mill in some areas; And the celebrity voices doesn't bring a lot to the table and you can tell their budget was lower than other animated flicks (also my main gripe was how few guns ratchet actually uses) but as something i went to see because i watched civil war already too and decided to just have a short nice fun I ended up enjoying it. Overall, It isn't spectacular but I feel any kinks could be ironed in a sequel specially if getting a higher budget.

That credits theme tho is way too try-hard rap for something like this
>>
>>82294668
Or they might've just broken a review embargo. Hopefully it'll be back up tommorow.

>>82298677
So far, the only one we have in english is this one >>82291255 and even then it seems like that one wasn't written very well.
>>
>>82298789
How was Civil War?
>>
>>82298338
Take out the CONSTANT TALKING and handholding, as well as mediocre in-game cinematics, and you will get a fantastic something.

As it is, it is a mediocre game with good graphics and gameplay lifted from better titles.
>>
>>82298856
I enjoyed it a lot. They should have called this Avengers 2 rather than what they did with Age of Ultron
>>
>>82298866
>constant talking

The only people who never shut up is the Gagetron Vendor and Mr. Zurkon. People really exaggerate the chattyness in the game.
>>
File: guess where this is going.jpg (46 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
guess where this is going.jpg
46 KB, 1280x720
The first Silent Hill movie wasn't so bad.
>>
>>82298897
Who were your top 3 characters?

Was the CGI as bad as it was in the trailers?

did the trailers really spoil the whole movie?
>>
>>82298924
I agree. You can tell someone in the production had some love from the franchise, but was hindered by Hollywod-type choices

The second movie is complete shit tho
>>
>>82298981
>Go to a Ratchet & Clank thread
>Ask for Civil War spoilers

this is trurly /co/
>>
>>82298982
True that. The second movie has literally no redeeming value, while the first one at least had SOME.
>>
>>82298669
but it didn't get many positive reviews on its release did it?
>>
>>82298907
Some very very nice person made a handy compilation to use as evidence of my point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BV95D-0aO4
>>
>>82298789
does it have drama and does is it funny?
how does it compare to a mediocre film like monsters U
>>
>>82298924
Whoever thinks they didn't nailed that atmosphere can go suck a enormous dick.
>>
>>82290601
Is no one going to comment on how "Rachet" is ebonics for a ghetto girl who is loud and obnoxious and constantly causing drama and usually trashy.
>>
>>82299053
I saw this video, and it's fucking retarded. I expected it to be just one clip where no body ever shut up but it's just a bunch of cuts of where the person was unlucky enough to have tons of chatter happen on their screen (I never had any of those issues and I played the game three times)
>>
>>82299042
The Supergirl tv show did. As did Gotham.
>>
>>82299103
Fuck off retard, that niggerspeak is younger than Ratchet being named after a wrench.
>>
>>82299148
i was talking about home alone
>>
>>82299084
I did have chuckles but then again I'm an easy to laugh guy. it's not laugh out loud funny (I feel the original trilogy still has some of the funniest shit in the whole franchise) but very chuckle worthy. As for drama, not many; A downside is that they do play a little safe with some themes (Like ratchet being the only Lombax is very low key, but I assumed that was because possible sequels) however I do feel it had it's twists and heart compared to the original game (Sadly, if you played the entire PS4 game you have been spoiled rotten with the exception of the stinger and more depths inside certain scenes. The celebrity cast is a bit meh (mostly Paul Giamatti and Bella Thorne, but Rosario Dawson does bring as much energy as she can) but the top quality or Ratchet and Clank's voice actors really nailed it even if they didn't go into much depth with their friendship; You can just feel JAT and David Kaye have the personalities of these two down to a tee.
>>
>>82299103
Ratchet is a name that comes from Murder on the Orient Express. In that book, nobody believes it is a real name.
>>
>>82296137

All nostalgia aside, this movie is good for camp value and nothing else. Besides Bob Hoskins, it's literally just making Mario Dark and Edgy. They even gave them guns and put the Mushroom Kingdom in a dark dystopian future.
>>
>>82299103
I thought it was slang for BDSM.
>>
Why bother trying to capitalize on a dead series?
>>
>>82299423
>Ratchet and Clank
>Dead series

hello retard
>>
>>82299423
>nostalgia autism

sames goes for sly cooper
>>
>yfw no rachet and clank memes

Also how is this not in /vidya/
>>
>>82299239
And I'm talking about the Citizen Kane of television.
>>
>>82299329
how does it compare to a movie like rio or monsters university or hotel transilvainia
>>
>>82299477
It beats Hotel Transylvannia and Rio for me by not having annoying pop culture songs in the middle of the movie (It does have, in my opinion, a crappy rap in the credits, but it's not sung by the cast and the movie is already over) but I will say visually those three do have a bit more, but mostly because they had a budget three sizes R&C's. It also pays that main characters weren't really the "obnoxious or annoying" type (except for a Qwark fanboy that, well, is an extra and it was the whole point of it). IT may be because its a small movie by a small company but I feel overall i got my money back more than those other three because they had way bigger production but the result was still mediocre

I do have a small soft spot for the first Rio but less for the movie and more for the recreation of Brazil
>>
>>82299329
What's the stinger?
>>
>>82297345
>Doug Walker

I think I know why he would dislike critics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfaGm6XlpGQ
>>
>>82299815
It shows the destroyed Deplanetizer, as a hand starts to claw out of the wreckage, followed by a glass dome and red eyes. Then a full shot of now robot Dr. Nefarious with his B-movie Theremin lemitrof playing and everything.
>>
>>82299591
is this a home alone, were the initial reviews were terrible but the film turned out to be quite good? is it just that the initial critics didn't get it?
>>
File: how i do dis.png (7 KB, 473x346) Image search: [Google]
how i do dis.png
7 KB, 473x346
>>82298866
>handholding
Did you ever watch the developer commentaries? The two dudes from that (who were apparently back to work on the new game) talk shit about literally every part of the game where anything is even the slightest bit remotely difficult and they talk fondly about how, if they were doing it today, they'd make sure to make it ten times easier by holding the player's hand through the whole process because that would have made it much better.

The problem was focus testing- they did a shitton of it, and they had the valve problem of hiring absolute retards to do it. For instance, apparently a lot of them had serious trouble figuring out this real brain tickler of a sliding block puzzle. Watching retards fumble to make even the most rudimentary decisions day in and day out would cause anybody to break and start demanding everything be handhold central.
>>
>>82299998
Excellent.
>>
>>82297345
>how weird is it when a bad movie is liked by critics?
Bad according to who? To you?
>>
>>82299120
Is this the casual version of "WORKS ON MY COMPUTER"
>>
Dr. Nefarious used to be a husbando.

But that time has passed...
>>
>>82300492
critics liked phantom menace when it first came out
>>
File: 1447941460961.png (4 KB, 368x376) Image search: [Google]
1447941460961.png
4 KB, 368x376
>>82290674
>just gamble away $15
>>
>>82300606
Wasn't talking about a particular example. Was raising the question "bad according to who?"
>>
>>82299591
If i thought the story in the ps3 games were good would i like this?
>>
File: 1423291637849.png (3 KB, 209x215) Image search: [Google]
1423291637849.png
3 KB, 209x215
>>82294470
>James Arnold Taylor didn't get top billing despite being the main character and having 2 decades of experience as a veteran voice actor
>No Kevin
Fuck 'em
>>
Good thing Keanu comes out tomorrow
gives me something to actually watch
>>
File: tgwtg first comment.png (19 KB, 791x207) Image search: [Google]
tgwtg first comment.png
19 KB, 791x207
>>82297345
And I feel the need to remind you of the kind of people in Doug Walker's fanbase.
>>
>>82290707
why is metacritic reviled as a gatekeeper for video games but rotten tomatoes is generally accepted as a litmus test for movies?
>>
>>82290601
who here cautiously optimistic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0KO-jIrvtM
>>
>>82299998
How big is Nefarious's role, and is Lawrence in it in any way?
>>
>>82300511
No, that video was a clear exaggeration of the talking.

It makes it look Sonic Heroes tier when it really isn't.
>>
>>82300708
Yes. It actually feels more like the Future series more than the original three.

>>82300219
I couldn't say. The way I see it, is more that the bar on animated movies has been set to high. This movie sets what it tries to be: A faithful adaptation visually of the games with a fun but simple plot. Nothing more, nothing less. But now every movie has to be deep an insightful like the Disney or Pixar flicks. It could have been better? YES. Is it awful and a waste of a nice afternoon where you have nothing to watch? NO
>>
>>82290614
Isn't that the logical thing to do? I mean it has fans but it would seem pretty odd to just have a brand new adventure with a new villian making it harder to bring in new fans

>>82298119
You go in with the expectation of liking something but it doesn't mean you will. But a lot of times knowing what a few others thought of something helps you have a guess where you will stand on it. It isn't saying live or die by what others tell you and don't use your brain or anything, if you still want to see something after hearing lots of bad things then there is a good chance you will enjoy it and vice versa in a case where like 2 or 3 friends you normally trust say something is great but you still aren't feeling it you may end up feeling like you wasted your time for nothing. Bottom line, your opinion ultimately is all that matters but there isn't a harm in seeing what a general consensus on a movie, game, or any other product is. It doesn't hurt anything.
>>
File: 1457761252872.png (666 KB, 1255x1086) Image search: [Google]
1457761252872.png
666 KB, 1255x1086
>>82292858
>>82292628

Actually the writer for the games quit due to creative differences with the director. Director turned this into vapid kiddyshit.
>>
>>82301117
Nefarious' role seem to be a big point of fight among fans. I didn't play the PS4 game (cause I don't own one) but my friend that came to the screening did and as we both learned, a lot of people seem mad as other seem to not mind.

Nefarious work for Drek, in his organic self before becoming a robot, and is the designer behind the Deplanetizer as well as the Warbot factory in Quartu. Quick into the movie we learn, just like in the games, Qwark stopped him from destroying Metropolis (Aleero City as it's named in here, but is basically Metropolis from R&C1) in the past as apparently died in a prison riot (which Qwark comment later into the flick when he meets him).

The major spoilers here:

However the twist is, and what people are so mad about, is that near the last act of the movie Nefarious uses the Sheepinator on DREK (The random Blarg in the trailers which is turned into a sheep was just editing to hide it) and turns him into a sheep before putting him inside a shuttle and launches him into the wreck of the now destroyed Novalis (Yes, in the movie Drek actually blows up Novalis). Nefarious then takes main villain spot from that moment on as, while Drek wanted to deplanetize and build new planets for cash, Nefarious wants to blow up a planet with an unstable core (Umbris) right in the middle of a planet alignment event that is foreshadowed earlier in the movie to cause a chain reaction and blow up the entire Solanna Galaxy.
>>
>>82297389

the wolverine movie game is pretty cool too
>>
File: 1459856698106.png (311 KB, 471x464) Image search: [Google]
1459856698106.png
311 KB, 471x464
>>82301584
Sauce or fuck off
>>
>>82301584
>people inmediatly assume this

I read the article where he says it and just says creative diferences and never says anything bad about the director or the vision for the movie, just that some of it wasn't his cup of tea. (He also states he did enough and a lot of the movie still has enough of him to have him in the credits)

But of course the internet has to go and see the glass half empty first.
>>
>>82291624
>What else does it have to do to be a comic book movie?
Be based on a comic book?
>>
I've already platinumed Ratchet & Clank 2016, and despite how much I enjoyed the game itself my expectations for the movie are that it will be "okay", at best. And that's just judging from like the ten minutes of cinematics ripped straight from the movie.
>>
File: 1461216366865.png (457 KB, 942x429) Image search: [Google]
1461216366865.png
457 KB, 942x429
>>
>>82301613
So no Lawrence then?

Fucking dropped.
>>
File: fuck you peter jackson.png (81 KB, 551x217) Image search: [Google]
fuck you peter jackson.png
81 KB, 551x217
>>82298384
Fucking this. Movies that get universally panned are almost invariably shit. If anything, don't trust POSITIVE reviews, standards are way too low.
>>
>>82295763
Seems like the humour is even more childish in the movie.

Man, they should have stuck with the humour of Deadlocked. Dallas and Juanita's banter was great, and Gleeman Vox is one of the funniest villains they've ever had.
>>
>>82301844
>Blowing your load early
>Wanting Lawrence with a organic nefarious he can't slap.
>>
>>82301661

Here you go.

>https://tjfixman.wordpress.com/2016/04/02/a-farewell-to-lombaxes/
>>
File: 1459114925640.jpg (161 KB, 603x1000) Image search: [Google]
1459114925640.jpg
161 KB, 603x1000
I'm going to be seeing it in a few hours. If this thread is still alive by the time I get back I will post my completely biased opinion as a hardcore R&C fan.
>>
>>82302045
If there ends up being a sequel, I'll agree it would be a better fit for him there. But having Nefarious without Lawrence to bounce off of is a waste of the best duo in the series.
>>
>>82302059

As >>82301685 says people exaggerate on what that article says
>>
File: 1459731004377.jpg (55 KB, 757x820) Image search: [Google]
1459731004377.jpg
55 KB, 757x820
>>82301918
>Seems like the humour is even more childish in the movie.
How? It just seems like the game's humor to me and the games were filled with just as many cringy jokes as decent ones.
>>
>>82300511
hello retard
>>
>>82301841
Choic screen cap
>>
>movie isn't from Qwark's perspective
>4 planets
>hardly any fights or weapons
>galactic rangers suck and are kind of pointless
>no Helga, Darla, or skid
>Nefarious steals Drek's thunder
>awkward editing
>robots have pupils now
>>
>>82299094

I still surprises me how they managed to even get the shitty camera angles in.
>>
>>82301041
Movie critics are significantly less unprofessional than video game journalists are. VGJ's honestly have no idea how journalism or criticism actually works, they're essentially random people who've never gone into schooling for it who treat their reviews and articles like their personal blog, without need for insight or critical thinking or research of any kind. Also, although they make an honest point that they don't accept bribes, they're not quite smart enough to realize that accepting swag/signing up for exclusive contests with only other journalists and thus significantly lower stakes/plastering paid ads for a game all over the website around the review for the game is really questionable stuff, even if it's not actual cash-in-bag cartoonish bribing.
>>
I don't care how bad this is

I'm going to see my fucking robo shota man because I'm fucking pathetic
>>
>>82301685
Anon, when you're in a creative industry, and you're not such a big name that you can stand up for yourself, you don't badmouth anything. Because the pool of jobs is small and all of your potential bosses are connected. Writers especially have essentially zero leeway to say anything.

http://www.nichollsvickers.com/valuable_lessons_edit.pdf

This guy's a writer who made several million dollars writing for hollywood for decades, and he made it by being a punching bag and passively accepting whatever insane shit his executives and directors and principal actors threw at him. Near the end, for the first and last time he confronts them directly and calls them out for the retarded shit they're asking him to do. His job opportunies dried up immediately and he ended up writing canadian cartoons.

Basically if you're a writer, even if you think something's the shittiest thing in the world you have to be constantly diplomatic about it.
>>
>>82303554
>galactic rangers suck and are kind of pointless
To be fair, in Up Your Arsenal the Galactic Rangers were incompetent cowards up until the end of the game when they finally man up and help you during the fight with Nefarious. But if the game tie-in is any indication for its respective movie, the Rangers are a completely different animal this time around and them being useless is probably not intentional like the original UYA Rangers were.
>>
>>82296261
But comparing R&C to a Dreamworks movie and saying, "Go in with lower expectations" is worrying.
>>
>>82297889
You're never going to agree with critics 100% and are still going to blow money or time on movies you hate, but at least RT scores can help steer you in the right direction considering how much shit is released in a single year.
>>
File: Talwyn_Apogee.jpg (198 KB, 717x1000) Image search: [Google]
Talwyn_Apogee.jpg
198 KB, 717x1000
>>
>>82305683
best girl
>>
>>82306075
This, and she had the best chemistry with Ratchet as well.
>>
File: 1452442814152.png (2 MB, 1280x1854) Image search: [Google]
1452442814152.png
2 MB, 1280x1854
>>82306075
Nope
>>
>>82306193
Relationships in which one partner has prejudice towards the other's race rarely work out
>>
I literally just saw this one not 30 minutes ago.

The animation and voice acting is great, and the pacing was decent for the most part. The story and plot are really cliched, though. The whole scene with Ratchet talking Qwark into seeing THE ERROR OF HIS WAYS and coming back to THE GOOD SIDE was just ugh. This is coming from somebody who's never played the games, only one of the three friends I saw this with played the games.

I really don't think it deserves the SERIOUSLY negative reviews it's getting right now. I've never seen a video-game movie stay so true to it's source material; and it's at least entertaining. I couldn't even finish the Mario Bros. movie because it was so boring.

But yeah, about a 6/10, although it could change.
>>
>>82306113
>>82306075
Agreed.
>>
>>82306542
If this is true, then I'm ok with it. I'm watching Civil War tomorrow and I wanted to have something to pass the afternoon next week so I'll go see it.
>>
>>82306075
>>82306113
That's not Angela.
>>
>>82306665
Angela was shite m8
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-06+at+05.22.06).jpg (77 KB, 743x603) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-06+at+05.22.06).jpg
77 KB, 743x603
Just an fi if you're outside of australia we dont get it until July 28.... THANKS AMERICA.
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-06+at+04.57.24).jpg (103 KB, 753x566) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-06+at+04.57.24).jpg
103 KB, 753x566
>>82306841
fucked up my post, meant to say if you live in australia we dont get it until 28th of july.
>>
>>82306865
Wow that sucks, enjoy the wait Ausbro
>>
has anyone seen this movie?
>>
>>82307304

>>82306542
>>82298789
>>
>>82306542
In the original game Clank was more interested in Qwark's redemption. After he played them for a fool once Ratchet gave up on him, and nearly Clank. Obviously this means little now considering the story has been retold with the new game and movie, neither of which I have seen/played.
>>
>>82290601
I'm still holding a marginal bit of hope for hope's sake, but looking at a couple of reviews it's exactly what I'd feared. Bland and heavily reliant on kiddie humor. Not that kiddie humor is a bad thing for a movie to have (provided kids actually think it's funny), but it's not for me.

I'm more troubled by the bland part, though. It reminds me of what Disney did to Mickey Mouse up until recently, ie making him a bland, inoffensive mascot to the point where people 1000% prefer his sidekicks over him. And the same people are making the Sly movie, which I'm half looking forward to and half dreading because I see the same thing happening.
>>
>>82301468
The series doesn't have a very intricate plot.
Fuzzy guy and his robot pal save the universe from INSERT BAD GUY
>>
File: The Cycle Continues.png (209 KB, 758x318) Image search: [Google]
The Cycle Continues.png
209 KB, 758x318
>>82290601
I think it might be safe to say the movie's kinda screwed at this point, if this is any indication.
>>
>>82290674
Good advice if movies were free
>>
>>82295876
because why the fuck would you want to support studios that do stupid shit and put out bad content?

BvS would be a resounding flop if people didn't "just go see it" and then maybe Snyder would be taken off the other projects but instead it's just a solid meh
>>
>>82292628
The series writer quit the production due to creative differences with the director.
>>
File: sony.jpg (105 KB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
sony.jpg
105 KB, 940x529
>A SONY exclusive video game series gets a SONY distributed movie that is NOT animated by SONY animation

What genius thought getting the guys who did Escape from Planet Earth to make this was a good idea?
>>
File: 1460020289991.jpg (19 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1460020289991.jpg
19 KB, 250x250
>>82292824
>Smash-It Sam was bad
>In no way was SP a good movie
your opinion is wrong please leave
>>
>>82291624
The whole point isn't about whether or not it uses video game/comic imagery, it's about taking an existing medium and adapting it to a movie successfully.
Video games movies are largely bad because the people who make them often don't respect the video game, either saying "As long as we have the characters who gives a fuck" or "This story is shit, i'll make my own story". Which is why we usually get garbage. Things like Wreck-it-Ralph don't count because they're pretty much their own thing but in the same subject, they have simmilar motivations going into them as other movies do. Being based on an existing medium matters because it's also about how well they treat something both well and not their own.
It's the difference between the garbage DC's been spilling out and something like Deadpool where Raynolds went "No, I really want to make a DEADPOOL movie, not just a movie with deadpool in it".

That said, I thought the prince of persia movie was decent.
>>
>>82295932
>Hotel Transylvania
>>
>>82308726
Welcome to 4chan, home of intense irrational eceleb hate. Right down to saying you should just throw hollywood money instead of hearing out what someone on the internet thinks. Last Airbender? BvS? MoS? Just go see them.
>>
>>82295737
It's clearly not an adaptation of a previously existing video-game, it's a film with elements of a video-game incorporated into it's fictional setting.

>Topic=/=genre or media
>>
Hmmm are there reviews of reviewers who review reviewers who review other reviewers yet?
>>
>>82309324
There is no reason now to see BvS. How else can one experience the awfulness?
>>
The reason why video game adaptations suck? Your potential source material either has too little story to make a good movie, or the source material is already a movie.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 75

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.