[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you bag and board your books? I did for a long time but now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: x-men-v2-1_final-cover-art.jpg (94 KB, 400x627) Image search: [Google]
x-men-v2-1_final-cover-art.jpg
94 KB, 400x627
Do you bag and board your books? I did for a long time but now Im seeing a lot of people say it's not all that helpful.
>>
>>82057743
>buying floppies
>>
No I take them out of the bags/boards and then read the comics and then store them without them.

I am not a collector.

>>82057781
Floppies are the best and a major money savings.
>>
>>82057743
>it's not all that helpful.

Not if you're serious about collecting but if you don't want your comics to not look like shit in 3 years it's worth it
>>
>>82057819
>I am not a collector.

Yeah I feel the same way about my floppies. I agree with people like Don Rosa and Erik Larsen that bags and boards remove you too much from the comic and make you want to read them less.
>>
>>82057915
Yeah like I have all of Shade in floppies and I haven't gotten to all of it yet largely because they are still in the bags and boards and the time is enough that I just grab something else first.
>>
>>82057819

the only way you're saving money buying floppies is if you only buy Marvel books, because their collections are like massively over-priced.
>>
>>82057943
No it is simple

I try a lot of first issues and some second issues but I am picky, if a book doesn't grab me I stop reading it.

And I have saved money on getting the collection.

I keep my pull list very small and it saves me money.

On top of that Floppies are the best judge of quality for any comic that is sold as them.
>>
>>82057819
>being a floppy collector
>being industry cancer
>>
>>82057860

Well assuming I take care of them and store them in a long box they'd be okay without bags?

I got a few more valuable ones that Id want to keep in bags just because of that but overall how much damage will keeping them boxed in a normal room do
>>
>>82057743
I only do it for stuff that I really like. For example, some of the covers by david yardin for x-factor are really fucking cool, so I have some of those on bag and boards.
>>
>>82057975
Also it's usually cheaper to buy back issues than modern trades. Unless you have something valuable like Suicide Squad #1 or the first appearance of a major character like Deadpool you're probably going to entire runs in the $1 bin
>>
>>82058092
>mfw, I got the 19 issues of the 90s Peter David run for x-factor for less than 10 dollars
The 4 TPB volumens would cost me at least 40 dollars.
>>
>>82058264
Nice, I picked up all of the Byrne/JRJR Iron Man issues for $1 each
>>
>>82057986
Wait, what are you advocating? Boards, or trades, or other?
>>
>>82057743
>Do you bag and board your books?

You kind of need to, IMO, if you want to use comics boxes. Which you kind end up defaulting to once you have enough comics because otherwise it's a pain to find anything when you want to read something.
>>
>>82058264
>>82058092
$1 issues rooms are like heaven. I don't even touch full-price TPBs, just those 40% off, which is like a whole wall.
>>
>>82058264

back when I was buying up the Cass Cain Batgirl books the trades where way over priced and didn't even contain all the issues
>>
>>82057743
Bags and boards come free from the shop I started buying comics from so yeah I do it out of habit rather then collecting.
>>
it makes them easier/safer to handle for one thing, when your transporting them or sharing with friends, and I would imagine it's good for retaining the spine/shape of the book when in storage
I hear there is risk of corrosion and miscoloration after 15 years, but that probably depends on amount of exposure to the environment
>>
I got most of 90s Spidey 2099 for a like a dime each or something like that at my LCS in the early 2000s.
>>
>>82059676
>I hear there is risk of corrosion and miscoloration after 15 years

Certain acidic compounds will eventually leach from the plastic bag onto the comic after a while, and this may cause discoloration (or worse). That won't happen for years and years, though. If you really want to bag your comics, use the archive-quality acid-free plastic sleeves that they use in libraries. Although the individual sleeves might actually end up costing more than the comics!
>>
>>82057743
Only for selected and rare issue. But since i'm mostly reading TPB nowadays. What is the point.
>>
I usually just bag like 4-6 issues
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.