[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
X-General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9
File: anad x-men.jpg (2 MB, 2368x2400) Image search: [Google]
anad x-men.jpg
2 MB, 2368x2400
How do you want your X-books, senpai?
>>
JUST
>>
>>82057327
With Magik barefoot
>>
File: weapon x.jpg (478 KB, 1218x1859) Image search: [Google]
weapon x.jpg
478 KB, 1218x1859
From the 80's and early 90's
>>
File: Cyclops.jpg (242 KB, 960x1465) Image search: [Google]
Cyclops.jpg
242 KB, 960x1465
Hit the ground running.
>>
>>82057327
With continuity.

and maybe more sex?
>>
I want X-men and mutants to die and be reborn in a epic event creating a whole new universe where there stories can go on alone without stupid fucking marvel events and no fucking NuHumans
>>
Is Old Man Logan any good? I liked Lemire and Sorrentino on Green Arrow but a big part of what made Old Man Logan work was the world, I don't know that he's a character like Spider-Man 2099, that can just be plopped in the regular continuity and still work
>>
>>82057715
his introductions in extraordinary x-men was that he want to fuck teen jean
>>
>>82057715
It's okay. Nothing spectacular but not unreadable. Worth reading if you like Wolverine.
>>
File: tumblr_men1ueDYtK1rk7w2qo2_1280.jpg (198 KB, 1071x1560) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_men1ueDYtK1rk7w2qo2_1280.jpg
198 KB, 1071x1560
Started reading X-Men Classic. It's unbelievably good. top tier X stories

>>82057327

Feared, Hated, Saving the World.
>>
File: 1455765749628-edit.jpg (55 KB, 416x252) Image search: [Google]
1455765749628-edit.jpg
55 KB, 416x252
>>82057327
Written by Joss Whedon. Oooh!- and with art by Greg Land!
>>
>>82057327
Without my favorites, of course!
>>
>>82057715

No. The only good thing is the art. There's barely a story. It spends the first couple of issues setting up a direction where Old Man Logan makes a kill list of all the people who created his future, and he starts by killing a no-name OC character who was a dick in the future to set the kill list. Then he tries to go kill Hulk, but turns out it's Cho so that goes nowhere after a pointless fight scene. Then he tries to find Mysterio so he can kill him, can't find him, hangs out with the girl Hawkeye a bit, and then Old Man Cap arrives to beat OML up and shows him the adamantium covered 616 Wolverie body statue, at which point OML just fucks off and gives up on his kill list. And then it ends with the cliffhanger where OML meets the X-men, as shown in Extraordinary X-men. It's a whole lot of fucking nothing, at a price it is sold it's a complete rip off where even Sorrentino's art isn't worht it. Nearly as bad as Bendis' OML.
>>
>>82057327
shouldn't Deadpool be a part of this
>>
>>82057327
>How do you want your X-books, senpai?

Like it was 1993 all over again, pham. Color coded teams where they weren't on the verge of extinction for like the third fucking time in ten years and characters had interesting subplots.
>>
With them dealing with problems that don't involve
>people hating Mutants
>Mutants fighting against humans
>Mutants almost dying off
Just have them be heroes again.
>>
>>82058681

Remember when the X-men was largely about just fighting other, evil mutants, with the civil liberties shit happening in interesting snippets on the side, like Xavier doing TV interviews shows and attending mutant rights concerts and the X-men went to Harry's Hideaway to drink beer? Those were the days.
>>
>>82058610
Not part of X-office.
>>
>>82058681
we have other heroes for that
>>
File: xm.jpg (113 KB, 514x326) Image search: [Google]
xm.jpg
113 KB, 514x326
I like my X-Men to be topical at times.
>>
>>82058972
But Anonnnnn, there shouldn't be any adressing of these themes and issues!
It makes ME uncomfortable!
>>
File: 3943454-x-mengold.jpg (153 KB, 744x480) Image search: [Google]
3943454-x-mengold.jpg
153 KB, 744x480
>>82058639
Will the Sun ever shine again.
>>
>>82057327
>How do you want your X-books, senpai?
Alive. I just want them to be alive. Is this too much? Everyone I care is dead.

Right now I'm just reading the Orphan Black rip off and Extraordinary, and I don't want to ever touch that hopeless All New X-Men. Is Bunn worth it?
>>
>>82057327
Just like I like my women
Strong and independent
>>
>>82058830
I KNEW IT. I fucking knew it! They want to take the Deadpool away from us!
>>
>>82060498
Goodbye for now
Goodbye for now
So long
When will we sing
A new song
A new song
>>
>>82061605
Again with this?

I don't understand all the hating on the X-Men that "fans" are doing in almost every X-thread.
We've all seen worse than the work done these days.
Is the Apocalypse synergy too forced? Yes. Is it anywhere near as bad as "the gathering of the twelve"??? Hell no.
Considering how they've basically made an X-comic to meet the differing tastes of anyone here, can't you just pick the title that reminds you of the best days and stop your griping?
Not a Storm fan? Don't care about how poison clouds are killing off mutants? Don't like lots of personalized character stories?
- Don't read Extraordinary'.
Don't like the selling out that happened in the '90s? Didn't like that cartoon? Enjoy longterm character development and observance of the canon?
- X-Men'92 isn't for you.
You think Bendis is the Devil himself?
- You may want to avoid All-New X-Men.

... For crimeny's sake! You even get two flavors of Wolverine to pick from!
THERE IS NO REASON TO COMPLAIN SO MUCH!

Do you have any idea how long I've waited to see Magneto bring back The Brotherhood???
Do you have any idea how sweet it is to see him do it by corrupting an X-Men team???
Be happy with what you've got, because in case you didn't notice: it's pretty good these days.
>>
>>82062050

Frankly Im glad to see fans bitch out when the series isn't looking so great.
>>
>>82062050
To be honest, friend, I like the current x-book, it's just that the timing sucks, and I hate inhumemes, while I loved inhumans

The main butthurt is that inhumemes don't deserve such push, and don't deserve to get so much attention like it gets. Add it to the fact that they are being shoehorned into most comics (Moon Girl, Hawkeye, Hellcat, upcoming Civil War) is infuriating.

What adds insult to injury is the facf that Quesada and Alonso had this mentality that there are too many mutants, and that making new mutant characters is lazy, but they don't have any qualms about doing the same with inhumans. That hurts
>>
>>82062202
>What adds insult to injury is the facf that Quesada and Alonso had this mentality that there are too many mutants, and that making new mutant characters is lazy,

They say that not because they really believe it, but because they're spinning it. You really think they're gonna say "there's too many mutants and we don't want to give Fox more characters because Ike said so"?
>>
>>82062289
They had this mentality long before Disney bought them. Do you remember House of M? It was 2005

When Quesada came (with Jemas) they started their reign by cancelling around 6 x-books, not because of sales, or quality, but because "too many x-books" period. This was also the reason that Byrne got butthurt and left, over Hidden Years (which I kinda liked)

He also was a huge Avengers fanboy
>>
>>82057327
with mutants that aren't treated as a separate race. They are just humans born with utations, freaks, abominations. You can't make mutants go extinct because there will always be other people born with other mutations.
Making them their own separate race makes them just the same as ay other group. Moloiods, inhumans, atlanteans, god beings, eternals, demons, what have you.
The appeal of mutantswas that they were different from any other thing treated in comics and you could tell with them stories that you couldn't tell with other groups.
The guys of avengers academy were what muties should be. Freaks that don't fit in anywhere else because they are a change that breaks all previous social balance and order.
Writers have gone and made mutants into their own order and made them boring as hell.
>>
>>82062050
>Like Cyclops, Beast, Jean, Wolverine? Hate forced diversity? lolfuckyou
I mean,
>... For crimeny's sake! You even get two flavors of Wolverine to pick from!
One is just Laura cosplaying and the other is from some shitty alternate future by MILLAR.

Sounds like it's X-Men '92 or bust. We had a good run a few years ago, maybe we're spoiled?

Also this >>82062202
I love me some obscure characters, but with the BS Marvel has been pulling, I stopped bothering with most anything involving the Inhumans. Well maybe since Medusa became a huge bitch, but that's besides the point.
>>
>>82062050
>We've all seen worse than the work done these days.
Maybe. But in all these years since Claremont put the franchise on its feet, I don't think there was ever a time when nothing in the entire line was truly worth worth reading.
Sure ANAD Wolverine and Bunncanny could be worse, but neither of these has been particularly exciting so far.
>>
>>82062361
Maybe someday, someone will have a chance to go back to basics with X-Men

I won't lie, I want the superhero bubble to burst.
>>
>>82062361
Was there ever explained how half of AA got their powers? Like Veil?

And yeah, AA was very X-Menish, but I didn't have problem with that back then, because we had a lot of books for ourselves, so everyone had their own favorite corner of the universe
>>
>>82062346
>Do you remember House of M? It was 2005

Yes, and do you remember what happened two years before House of M? Marvel and Fox were fighting over the Mutant X TV show. It ended with them having to iron out a contract that confirmed Fox had control of mutant characters.

And Ike's been in charge of Marvel since the late 90's.
>>
>>82062468
Hm... that's actually a good point.

Ike is a businesman, so at least I can understand him, even if I hate him.
>>
>>82062376
You ... have a problem ... with "forced diversity" ? ? ?
... AND you read X-Men comics.
I think I figured out what your problem is. (well, one of them)
>>
>>82062509
Yeah, genius. With FORCED diversity, not diversity in general. One thing is making a team with mutants from all around the world. Replacing a character with a female version of themselves or suddenly making a character gay because "Age of Tumblr" is something else entirely.

Sounds like one of your problems might be reading comprehension.
>>
File: UncannyXMen101.jpg (104 KB, 400x619) Image search: [Google]
UncannyXMen101.jpg
104 KB, 400x619
>>82062668
The original leader of the X-Men was a paraplegic superhero.
Then they created the first racially diverse superhero cast lineup in a massively successful relaunch.
The biggest storyline they came up with in those early years was literally about an empowered woman.
And that was before they handed the team leadership over to a black woman.
If you think X-Men comics were about something other than "FORCED diversity" you're going to have to explain what exactly that was.
>>
>>82062894
Diff anon, I don't think it was FORCED
Claremont really made it organically and the changes complemented the storytelling.

He wasn't doing it to check the feminist scoreboard. He genuinely loved the characters. I don't think there is any other writer in comic book history, who loved fictional characters as much as Claremont.

The only thing forced was a diverse lineup, and believe me, a lot of people even back then sent angry letters to marvel. But the reason for the diverse lineup was due to business
>>
>>82062894
Most of that happened naturally. Storm was always a strong character, Xavier was about huge mental power on a handicapped body.

The remark about an "empowered" woman sounds like you're pushing it. It could have been any character with that kind of power gone off the rails.

When they start retconning established characters out of nowhere, or passing a character's "mantle" to another "diverse" character, that's jumping the shark. And yeah, I realize it's far from the first time Marvel does it. Hell, not so long ago for no reason we got at once Lady Bullseye, Lady Sinister, Shuri as Black Panther and a female Ghost Rider, to name a few. It's just too stupid, lazy and in-your-face.
>>
>>82063037
I think that we agree that back then, the comics were written much better, and weren't bashing / preachy. That's why it worked, because writers didn't try to antagonize the readers, but make them care about the characters
>>
cont. the problem isn't female Black Panther
or Black Captain America

The problem is female BP as a "smash muh patriarchy", and Black CA as a "smash da raycizm". When characters become a spokepersons for political agendas, it sucks and always will suck
>>
cont.
this is also why Kamala Khan became popular, because it wasn't about shitting on christians, but about slice of life girl, who happened to be muslim.
>>
>>82063059
DAMN right. When I mentioned a "recent good run", it was around the time of the Messiah trilogy. Just look at X-Force back then, I ignored it for a bit because it looked like just EDGY bullshit, but had to get into it when I noticed it was pretty much a love letter to Claremont's run. It takes a lot of heart to capture what made X-Men comics unique, and I'm not sure they have the writers or the interest to do that right now. I mean, even if they manage to crank out some great story, Fox is just gonna half-ass some shitty movie and cash in on it.
>>
>>82063099
Indeed, despite all the link with the Inhumans stuff and at first sight looking like "muh diversity", I kept seeing people listing it as one of the good books from Marvel.
>>
>>82063180
yeah, it sucks that she is inhumeme, it would be much better if she had her powers through accident, but then again, the issue 1 was very surreal in a way, her powers were presented to her.
>>
>>82063155
there was a thread last month, where various artists and writers talked about the practices in comic book company, through the query.

the big two is treated mostly as an easy paycheck, and as a promotion for the indie projects. can't blame them, though.

I feel like the good ole days will never return,
with few exceptions like Spurrier
>>
File: JAN092545.jpg (19 KB, 395x600) Image search: [Google]
JAN092545.jpg
19 KB, 395x600
>>82063037
I think you're totally understating how unusual portrayals of gender equality and racial equality was in '60s and '70s media.
And how important it is to remember just how groundbreaking Marvel comics were back then. They had a reputation as being deliberately part of the countercultural movement back when that was really controversial. It wasn't pandering when they pushed those issues in their comics, they really believed what they were selling.
>>82063059
Today's "bashing/preachy" is tomorrow's normal common sense, unless nobody ever bothers to advance those views.
Do you really believe that the social issue content in comics these days could be published 20 or 30 years ago?
If back then nobody was pushing acceptance in these comics *about* acceptance then the status quo wouldn't change in comics until the rest of the world gave them permission.
If you think Iceman's outing goes too far, just imagine how out of touch you're going to be in the future.
Or imagine how boring the comics you would be able to tollerate would be.
>>
>>82062894
>>82063032
The diversity wasnt really forced.
Wasnt it a time of cosmopolit? And to increase the setting with international quests?
And if you have someone from afrika or asia the character should look like they came from there?

>>82063037
>female versions of male superhereos
Its nor really about diversity here, just to make a rule63 genderbender and to show more titties and ass.
>>
>>82063250
>Today's "bashing/preachy" is tomorrow's normal common sense
Except Claremont wasn't bashing or preaching. He was showing characters as HUMAN BEINGS, not POLITICAL VEHICLES.

I can spin around and say that what is popular politically today, is a no-no tomorrow.

Marvel became popular, because they sold better than DC. This is a fact. What is going on currently does not make Marvel better profits. That's a fact as well, when you look at their sales.

What is being published wouldn't be published 20 years ago, not because of "muh politics", but because it's written in a very juvenile way, and sometimes with a malicious intent. Writers shouldn't vent their political opinions through characters. IF they want to encourage in the discussion, they have to write an engaging STORY first.

I don't have problem with Iceman's outing, though. Albeit the way it was done felt rapey
>>
>>82063082
>female Black Panther

Wot.
What did I miss?
>>
>>82063290
>Wasnt it a time of cosmopolit? And to increase the setting with international quests?
I don't know, I didn't live then.

>just to make a rule63 genderbender and to show more titties and ass.
this I approve
>>
>>82063250
>I think you're totally understating how unusual portrayals of gender equality and racial equality was in '60s and '70s media.
I'm well aware. But it was more about -including- new characters, rather than changing/replacing others (see >>82063099
on Kamala, for instance).
No one questions Storm's awesomeness because it was well established through many, MANY years, between all of Claremont's portrayals of her.

>If you think Iceman's outing goes too far, just imagine how out of touch you're going to be in the future.
That's completely unnecessary, though. Northstar has been gay for some 20 years and not sure if married recently, or just living in unmarried gayness. There's also Anole. Iceman's thing feels more like ANOTHER instance of "lolbendis".

...And you just reminded me of the Kitty Starlord thing, wtf. There's just so much to bitch about we're not even touching yet.

Also, you reminded me I really gotta take the time to read through X-Treme X-Men. That's the one comic from those days I think I might be able to enjoy.

>>82063290
>just to make a rule63 genderbender and to show more titties and ass.
>tfw you realize female Ghost Rider was just Marvel pandering to /d/
>also Lady Sinister, just, ewww dude
I recall one page on a What If where they showed r63 versions of Power Man and Iron Fist. Now THAT was some good r63'ing.
>>
>>82063484
The Kitty Starlord thing seems to be ending.
I've read yesterday Guardians of Infinity, and back-up story featured Kiity detailing her break-up with Starlord
>>
>>82063362
T'Challa was caught off-guard in a trap by Doom and almost died. Was replaced by his sister Shuri for a one-year run or so, as both superhero and ruler of Wakanda. This run culminated in Doomwar.
(Guilty pleasure of mine, Doom felt out of character there, but overall cool event.)
>>
>>82063504
Guardians of Infinity is still going? I expected it to be the one good cosmic book, but /co/ hasn't been too happy about it, it seems...
>>
>>82063538
I guess that it's going to be ending soon
No solicits about it for few months
>>
>>82063543
WELP, so much for Cosmic Marvel.
>>
>>82057327
One X-men title with a rotating roster.
X-Men family title that spotlights teams or single characters
Obligatory Wolverine title.
>>
>>82063538
>>82063543
Actually, it's ending in #8.
>>
>>82063597
>he still believes X-Men are family
>>
>>82057327
Bendisless, please.
>>
>>82057327
I want all of these comics except 92 to die.

I want all current storylines scrapped. I want this constant extinction shit to go away like it was supposed to after the plot threads introduced in Messiah Complex/Messiah War/Second Coming reached their climax. I want all nuHuman shit in the trash where it belongs and the symptoms of their existence removed from X-books, which may actually happen with Perlmutter's influence waning. I want this Wolverine book featuring X-23 to actually feature X-23 rather than some quipping tumblr-friendly generic action girl. I want all these fuckers to stop fighting each other for five minutes, so we can have some new stories for once. I want characters to progress and move forwards like they were doing back in the Messiah Complex days, and for the younger X-Men to actually grow into the shoes of their elders.

Basically, I want everything Marvel will never do, because Marvel is mostly run and written by people with awful taste.
>>
>>82065060
>I want all of these comics except 92 to die.
Cartoonfag pls go. '92 is shit as well.
>>
>>82062376
>>82062509
>>82062668
>>82062894
You're both retarded. Laura as Wolverine isn't bad because of loldiversity. It's bad because it is a fucking bad book. The main character is completely empty of personality, and pretty much just some random new addition, since she's nothing like X-23 has ever been.

The plot is literally just Orphan Black but not very adept.

Having two Wolverines is not a plus when they are both total shit.
>>
>>82065169
It's the only X-book that isn't miserable extinction shit, severe character distortion, or NuHumans pushing. I don't care if it's mediocre at this point, it's the only genuine X-Men book in OP's image.
>>
>>82065183
Where did we ever deny that?!
Took me long enough to give a damn about Laura, and even then, it was only after seeing her doing her own thing.
There's no reason for her to cosplay as daddy.
>>
>>82065060
>I want this constant extinction shit to go away
what else can they do?
In the past there were different ideas of what mutants should do. Some like Magneto wanted them to live in their own nation maniaally protected from the rest of the world, some, like Xavier, wanted mutants and baseline humans to live togeher, others wanted to take over the world others wanted to take advantage of their powers to grow rich within human society. And among not-mutants there were different ideas for mutants as well. From those came conflict that moed the plot.
Now everyone, mutants and baseline and aliens, agree on mutants place in the world. No hidden plot or mutants can be discovered because most mutants were depowered and those remaining have already been identified by the x-men and they will immediately find any neww mutants.
What other stories can writer write? The only big story left that they can tell is the extinction of mutants(which doesn't even make sense because you can't stop mutations from happeing, but that's another problem for x-books)
>>
>>82063358
>He was showing characters as HUMAN BEINGS, not POLITICAL VEHICLES.
that's not actually true.
He was promoting sex positive feminism, showing that having sexual desires is a good thing, heroes, especially female heroes, can have sexual needs without them turning seedy or being obsessive sex freaks, but just as a natural thing, and making the villains those who sought to control the sexuality of the heroes, especially of the women heroes.
All that is now considered being pervy because puritan feminism has won the feminist sex wars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro-sex_feminism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_sex_wars
>>
>>82067788
>He was promoting sex positive feminism
what the fuck I don't even
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.