[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HELP A PLEB
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: 1461087989501.jpg (259 KB, 786x1224) Image search: [Google]
1461087989501.jpg
259 KB, 786x1224
alright /co/, I need help. I need direction towards some good comics. I haven't read anything in years and have only read a handful of series. I've read:

The Walking Dead Vol 1.
Some Daredevil limited series that was like 12 issues, I don't remember the name but it was very noir and grungeish art style.
The Reboot of Omega The Unknown
Ultimate-Spiderman like 4 volumes of it?
Watchmen

and a few other image issues of $1 bin comics that I got on free comic day (lol)

Looking for space-cosmos type stories like Spectre and Silver Surfer, more Daredevil and Defenders stuff, maybe Spider-Woman? (cuz dat bum) I would also like to dip into The Hulk. And where to start on Superman? Also recommend a personal favorite non-superhero original if you want.

Please /co/, help a filthy normie like me out.
>>
File: superman-modern-essentials.jpg (579 KB, 1102x1442) Image search: [Google]
superman-modern-essentials.jpg
579 KB, 1102x1442
>>82047151
>Spectre

Ostrander's run.

>Silver Surfer

Requiem.

>Daredevil

All of Frank Miller's stuff. Probably also the Bendis run and the Brubaker run.

>The Hulk

Gray, Planet Hulk, and anything you can find from the Peter David run. And maybe the rest of the Greg Pak run.

>And where to start on Superman?

pic related plus For the Man Who Has Everything, Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes, and Escape From Bizarro World.

>Also recommend a personal favorite non-superhero original if you want.

For some sort-of-superhero stuff that's kind of borderline I'd HIGHLY recommend Hitman and Ennis' run on Punisher (storytime here: >>82013247 ) Another of my favorites is Badger. Also check out Nexus if you like space/cosmic heroes. Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing is also recommended. Planetary is another must read.

For full blown non-superhero stuff check out these:
The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
Conan vol. 1 from Dark Horse
Scout
Sin City
Ronin
Mister X
Dave Stevens' run on The Rocketeer
Fearless Dawn + The Bomb + Strange Battle Tales
Strange Pirate Tales
Strange Fairy Tales
Gunsmith Cats
Akira (Epic Comics reprint version)
Black Lagoon
Archie vs. Predator
Archie Meets The Punisher
Godzilla In Hell
Nth Man the Ultimate Ninja
Transformers vs. G.I. Joe
Red
The Heckler
PunX
Fear Agent
Tom Strong (and related titles)
Tomorrow Stories
Terra Obscura
Richard Stark's Parker
Polar
Mesmo Delivery

I can give other recommendations if needed.
>>
>>82047997
much appreciated dude, saving your post for ref.
>>
File: Adam Hughes Dirty Pair.jpg (463 KB, 993x1504) Image search: [Google]
Adam Hughes Dirty Pair.jpg
463 KB, 993x1504
One more recommendation. Check out Dirty Pair if you're down for black and white outer space sci-fi with lots of T&A, quality art, and fun action. pic related isn't the best representation of what it normally looks like, but it still looks cool.

And for a current recommendation, if you like the idea of Lovecraftian stuff set in the 1800s then you'll probably dig Manifest Destiny. One of the more underrated series currently running.
>>
MORE RECOMMENDATIONS:

We3
Luther Strode (there are three miniseries, read them in order)
>>
>>82048434
jeez dude hell yea. im downloading this one first ill start out light. whats your recommendation for a comic reading program? just use adobe?
>>
Grab The Man Without Fear 90s miniseries by Miller as a good starting point for Daredevil, if you like that then go ahead with his original DD run and check out Batman Year One.

For Supes it's hard to nail down a single good starting point.

Check out Silver Surfer Requiem for one of the best Surfer stories period.

If you want more ground-level Marvel stuff, Superior Foes of Spider-Man is 10/10
>>
>>82049087
>im downloading this one first

Dirty Pair or Manifest Destiny?

>whats your recommendation for a comic reading program?

I fucking hate all of them. Can't say I've ever been satisfied with one. I kind of change it up from time to time looking for that one perfect one and they still all disappoint. You'll have to ask others for recommended reader programs because I'm just not the best person to ask about that.

>just use adobe?

Bad idea.
>>
File: Non-Cape Rec List.jpg (505 KB, 1096x1920) Image search: [Google]
Non-Cape Rec List.jpg
505 KB, 1096x1920
>>82047151
I'm not much use with the more "normal" characters, but...

>Spectre
Isn't a space-cosmos type of character. He's more horror/supernatural, with exception to vol. 4 where Hal Jordan is the Spectre.

I'm going to second the recommendation for Ostrander's run, especially because it's at least partially reprinted and the rest are on comixology. The Fleisher/Aparo run from Adventure Comics (reprinted as Wrath of the Spectre) is also pretty good, though not nearly of that caliber. Gotham by Midnight is the recent thing with him and it's one of the better titles I've read from DC in the past few years.

Honestly, I don't think the Spectre's ever had a bad solo book and you can't really go wrong with him.

>Silver Surfer
Has an assload of original graphic novels and minis starring him, which is where most of the good stuff is. In addition to Requiem, Parable and In Thy Name are both really good. Judgment Day has incredible artwork, but is mediocre story-wise. Jim Starlin's run is probably the best ongoing and collected in full in the recent Omnibus for Infinity Gauntlet (which you'll probably like too), but nowhere else.

He has really good luck with comics too and the best rule of thumb is just to avoid anything from after the mid-'90s, with the exception of Requiem and In Thy Name.

Also, some general recs for non-superhero stuff.
>>
File: tumblr_majhd6kaxl1rnhr86o1_1280.jpg (489 KB, 1023x788) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_majhd6kaxl1rnhr86o1_1280.jpg
489 KB, 1023x788
If you're interested in Hulk then maybe check out She-Hulk as well. She had a comedy series in the 90s called Sensational She-Hulk that had 10/10 art and well done humor and was just tons of fun.
>>
>>82048434
>black and white

I think some of it is in color actually.
>>
File: bubblegumcrisis-2.jpg (340 KB, 783x1204) Image search: [Google]
bubblegumcrisis-2.jpg
340 KB, 783x1204
>>82048434
If you like Dirty Pair then check out Bubblegum Crisis by the same writer/artist.
>>
>>82049339
dirty pair

ill look around about the comic readers
>>
>>82050426
Check this out if you're looking for downloads:

http://pastebin.com/gsimmNcp

ALL of Dirty Pair is in there (in the "WEEB SHIT" section) along with a ton of other stuff.
>>
>>82050611
sweet.

other sources good for downloads?
>>
>>82047151
These threads are increasing in frequency and decreasing in quality. They are still against the rules, too.
>>
>>82050858
Look up "libgen" in the archives (desustorage in the /co/ section). I really don't want to risk posting the link here. Just be warned that it's SLOW AS FUCK and downloads often cut out mid way and you have to start all over again if they do.
>>
>>82051045
>They are still against the rules

No they aren't.
>>
>>82051133
Yes, they are.
All forms of recommendation thread fall under >>>/global16/rules
/co/ used to be able to have them in moderation, but looks like that's ending.
>>
>>82051188
No. You're literally a faggot. This is not a "request thread", you dumb faggot.
>>
>>82047151
>I need help
>>82051328
Totally is. One could report this thread and any other like it on /co/.
>>
>>82051457
It's not a fucking request thread, faggot. He's not asking anyone to do something for him. He's asking for information. This is no more a "request thread" than if you asked someone why you were getting indigestion from protein powder on /fit/. A "request thread" does not mean "anytime anyone asks a question", you literal faggot.
>>
>>82052202
Starting a thread just to ask that question is.
>>
>>82052266
I asked for 'direction'. simply guidance, implying I could do the work myself in getting and reading the comics, just wanted to know which ones I should.
>>
>>82052266
OP is asking for recommendations and where to download things, not directly requesting the comics, though.
>>
>>82052361
Lurk the existing threads for that purpose. If you looked even once, you'd find them.
>>82052369
>where to download things
Double against the rules.
>>
>>82052446
>Lurk the existing threads for that purpose

what? i was asking what comics based on the character should i read, how the hell would i know what to look for by going to existing threads? relax dude hows your day going? wanna talk?
>>
>>82052369
He's not even doing that. He's just saying "what are the best [insert character here] stories?"
>>
>>82047151
Best advice: Read storytimes on /co/.
>>
>>82054896
THIS.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.