[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /co/ I'm new at the comics universe, so I need your help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: download.jpg (659 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
659 KB, 1920x1080
Hi /co/ I'm new at the comics universe, so I need your help to find something to start, something about batman, red hood or nightwing (yep I prefer DC). So I appreciate any help :).
>>
>>82036857
I started off with The Dark Knight Returns.
>>
>>82036857
Liking Bat-shit isn't preferring DC, it's preferring Batman. Same when people say they like Marvel and all they read is X-Men.
>>
>>82036983
sorry for that, I also like the flash and green lantern. But I want to start with batshit
>>
>>82036857
Batman Year One
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: The Long Halloween
Gotham by Gaslight and Master of the Future
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
Green Arrow: The Wonder Year
Shado: Song of the Dragon
Green Arrow volume 2 issues 1-80
Superman Red Son
Superman Speeding Bullets
Kingdom Come
Justice League: The Nail
Infinite Crises
>>
>>82036857
Dont read red hood, people will be able to tell immediately youre a casual and a homosexual
>>
>>82037031
tk m8, year one I took yesterday.
>>
>>82037037
KEK
>>
>>82036857
There are no really good Red Hood or Nightwing stories. Read Grant Morrison's Batman Saga (which includes Dick as Batman and the only good characterization of Red Hood in comics), Batman: The Black Mirror (Multiple stories of Dick as Batman), and Grayson (Dick abandoning the Nightwing mantle).
>>
>>82037606
>recommending a casual to read the BatEpic as his first Bat story
Are you trying to kill him?
>>
>>82037606
>Grayson (Dick abandoning the Nightwing mantle)
>good
>>
>>82036857
For Batman, read Year One, Long Halloween, No Man's Land, Man Who Laughs, Black Mirror, Court of Owls, etc

For Nightwing, read the Dixon run starting with Bludhaven, or Grayson

The only good Red Hood story in comics in in Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin
>>
>>82037037
>>82037606
>>82037695
Also OP, don't listen to retards like these who have read like 2 comics and just reiterate the same three or four /co/ memes over and over again
>>
>>82037677
When will this meme end? It was my VERY first Batman comic, and obviously a lot of the allusions went over my head but I was still thoroughly entertained and engaged throughout.
>>
>>82038454
Lobdellfag detected. What was I supposed to recommend him considering he's looking for Jason/Dick stories?
>>
>>82036857
Start with stuff that isn't very long like the killing joke or whatever happend to the caped crusader. That way you can figure out if that character is your cup of tea before you get bogged down reading the long stuff. Try some elseworld stuff too, the beauty of Dc is how many different versions there are of your favourite character
>>
Batman year one and then Batman The long Halloween.
If you're a bookfag I suggest the No Mans Land novel, it is really good and better than the comics imo
>>
File: g4b9o.jpg (11 KB, 267x280) Image search: [Google]
g4b9o.jpg
11 KB, 267x280
Well folks I'm writing down all these titles, everithing looks good indeed
>>
>>82038679
Have you played the Arkham games?
>>
>>82038679
Read Dark Knight, Dark City before Morrison's Bat Epic. In fact, read everything Milligan wrote for Batman, it's a really short read. He's probably my favorite Batman writer.
>>
>>82038710
no m8 but i notice theres a comics for that right?
>>
File: bb laugh.jpg (22 KB, 260x193) Image search: [Google]
bb laugh.jpg
22 KB, 260x193
>>82038454
grayson was never good and he will never return LMAO
>>
>>82038811
Yeah I was about to say, a serious house on a serious earth is what the first games based on

Batmans very defined by his villains so are there any of them in particular you want to read about?
>>
File: ss+(2014-10-04+at+10.43.46).jpg (29 KB, 300x439) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-10-04+at+10.43.46).jpg
29 KB, 300x439
>>82037031
>Superman Red Son
>Batman: The Long Halloween
THIS FUCKING READ THIS
>>
>>82038835
Grayson wasn't amazing but it WAS better than any Nightwing book, ever.
>>
>>82038887
nope lol

he's gone forever, no one with talent will ever acknowledge it again, and there's literally nothing you can do about it
>>
>>82039001
Nightwing Rebirth is a direct continuation of Grayson's plot threads. :)
>>
>>82038515
There are plenty of good Dick stories, some of them better than half the Batshit that /co/ jerks off to. Robin Year One, Dixon's Bludhaven run, Black Mirror, Morrison's run, Grayson.

Jason has Morrison's story
>>
>>82039052
"b-b-b-but he's in a different costume! that means everything will be completely different because i'm a /co/ retard who cares about costumes over writers!"
>>
>>82039052
the grayson identity is gone kek

graysonfags BTFO ,':^)
>>
- Red Hood: The Lost Days recaps how Jason becomes Red Hood.
- Under The Red Hood follows the same basic story as the movie, with some changes (but the movie is better), so you probably already know it.
- There is a hilarious story called Brothers in Blood (Nightwing 119-122) in which Jason stalks Dick. It's widely regarded as bad but still a really funny read if you like those characters. Jason turns into a tentacle monster at one point.
- Likewise, Battle For The Cowl is regarded as bad and OOC, but it does have a Nightwing vs Red Hood fight and might be fun if you like to read about them.
- Grant Morrison's Batman & Robin, with Dick as Batman and Damian as Robin has several appearances by Jason.
- Nightwing: Freefall doesn't have Jason, but it's a really good Dick Grayson story with plenty of Batfamily in it.

- Grayson, the reboot series starring Dick, is really good, but Jason only appears briefly in it.
- For reboot Jason, I would personally avoid the Red Hood stuff, and go with the Arkham Knight tie-ins.
- Robin War.
- Batman And Robin Eternal features all the Batkids, but it's a qualified recommend since it's really uneven and sometimes flat-out bad.
>>
>>82038515
considering you have shit taste, you must be the lobdell fag
>>
>>82039085
I mentioned most of that though >>82037606? And Dixon's Nightwing is beyond boring. It hasn't aged well whatsoever; I doubt it was even exciting while it was being published/
>>
>>82039161
>Jason turns into a tentacle monster at one point.
>tfw that's not the worst jason todd story DC has published
>>
>>82039212
IKR
At least you can get a good chuckle out of that one.
>>
>>82039172
it's well-regarded, is fun, has good character writing. it's just not "OMG SUPER EPIC" like people expect every comic to be
>>
Anyone know the name of that lovecraftian elseworlds story? Gotta kinda hellboy artstyle, think the name goes something like the evil that came to gotham.

Cause thats a great story
>>
>>82039250
The writing is solid (and for the time, it was still a new thing for Dick to do, with diminishing returns), but that art makes my eyes bleed. Everyone looks like a really chunky goat with a barrel chest.
>>
>>82039161
niceee introduction man :)
>>
>>82039250
What are you talking about? Nobody expects DC's fun version of Daredevil to be ~epic~. Dixon's run is Nightwing battling boring gangsters and really fucking lame villains. Why can't you admit that that's not exciting, even if you personally enjoyed the run?
>>
>>82039302
The Doom That Came to Gotham
>>
File: red hood.jpg (110 KB, 787x558) Image search: [Google]
red hood.jpg
110 KB, 787x558
>>82036857
That image annoys me because this is all I can see.
>>
>>82039383
Why can't you admit that it's enjoyable, even if you personally didn't find it very exciting?
>>
File: thor sees your dick.jpg (159 KB, 1280x983) Image search: [Google]
thor sees your dick.jpg
159 KB, 1280x983
>>82039383
>admit it's shit because I didn't like it

graysonfags are pathetic lol
>>
>>82039425
i cant unsee
>>
>>82039403
Cheers bud

>>82039373
Read that, best elseworlds story I've read. Has everyone in it in to some extent
>>
>>82039449
go away, you're a woman now
>>
how come DC has put out thousands of comic issues yet maybe .1% of them are ever recommend?

Is big 2 shit really this unbelievably garbage? Lmao
>>
>>82039449
>>82039430
FUCK NIGHTWINGFAGS FUCK FUCK FUK
>>
>>82039425
it's an improvement imo
>>
>>82039500
Marvelfag, pls stop pretending to be a ~big 2 hater~. DC's publishing history shits on Marvel's from a great, great height.
>>
>>82039373
Knock yourself out! I like them both a lot, too. Oh, forgot A Death In The Family/A Lonely Place Of Dying, which are about Jason's death, Bruce and Dick grieving, and Tim becoming Robin.
>>
>>82039500
Why would you recommend anything but their best work to someone new?
>>
>>82039500
because /co/ doesn't read comics
>>
File: laughingslut.png (2 MB, 969x1020) Image search: [Google]
laughingslut.png
2 MB, 969x1020
>>82039540
>graysonfag is also a companycuck
>>
>>82039511
"dur hur ur a nightwingfag"

The SeeKing run is better than Dixon's run yes, but Dixon's run is still good for what it is. I don't want to see any writer rehash that (and it looks like Seeley's continuing with stuff from Grayson)
>>
>>82036857
You should pick up the vol.1 of azrael.
>>
>>82037606
Don't do this.
>>
>>82039425
Is that what you think this is about? You letting me die? I don't know what clouds your judgement worse, your guilt or your antiquated sense of morality. Bruce, I forgive you for not saving me. But why, why on God's earth...

HAVE YOU NOT RAPED HIM
>>
>>82039669
this is why you should never ask /co/ for comic advice

same 5 memes beaten to the ground over and over again. /co/ is basically tumblr
>>
wow this thread is pure fucking cancer.
>>
>>82039690
>/co/ is basically tumblr
That's such a stupid thing to say, tumblr isn't as obsessed with gender and has better moderation.
>>
>>82039791
ouch
>>
>>82039250
It's not "bad" boring, just "boring" boring in the way that I can see someone liking it a lot if they've never read a lot of better stuff. It's filler that never really tries to do anything. It's fine for an average run but holding up that sort of thing as the holy grail for a character as iconic as Dick Grayson is kind of sad.

Anyway, you might like it, OP, so you can try giving it a shot. Tomasi, Grayson, and Higgin's Nightwing were also fine. Morrison's Batman & Robin was what got me interested in Nightwing and Red Hood but it's a part of a bigger run. I enjoyed it a lot as a standalone before I read the rest though.
>>
well folks thank a lot for everything :) sorry for the fag shit
>>
I remember when people would ask /co/ for recs and we wouldn't turn into fucking children.

Anyways, OP, read Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, Death In The Family, A lonely Place of Dying, Knightfall, Cataclysm then No Man's Land and Hush.
Then I say get Infinite Crisis, 52, Morrison's BatEpic, Final Crisis, then read all of Green Lantern vol. 4, along with Green Lantern Corps, up to the end of Blackest Night.
>>
>>82040042

The reason it's well regarded is because it established Dick's characterization outside of a team setting, set up strong relationships with the Batfamily, and stayed consistently solid (at worst) for like 80 issues

Seeley King's Grayson > Tomasi's Nightwing > Dixon's Nightwing > Higgins' Nightwing >> Devin Grayson's Nightwing
>>
>>82040160
>/co/
>wouldn't turn into fucking children
>>
Go to Wikipedia and look up the DC animated movies and watch them in order
>>
>>82039669
kek
>>
Didn't read the thread much, but Morrison's stuff is meant to be read last in my opinion

Like after reading O'neil's run and most of legends of the dark night and Starlin's stuff, things like that
>>
>>82036857
If you end up liking Damian after reading all these, definitely look into Damian's Son of the Bat stuff as well, he's even getting his own teen titans book. If you see Tim or Red Robin around ... Stay away from Tim and Red Robin and Teen Titans stuff dealing with Tim. Tim hasn't been the same since the reboot.
>>
thank u everyone
>>
File: 637437.jpg (863 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
637437.jpg
863 KB, 1920x1080
>>82036857
Year One > The Man who laughs > The Long Halloween > Dark Victory > Whatever you feel like.

If you want to dive right into new52

>Court of Owls > City of Owls > Death of the Family > Zero year Secret City and Dark City > Batman Eternal vol 1-3 > Batman Endgame > Superheavy

Alternatively > both Zero Year titles > Court of Owls > the rest I listed above

Also read Tomasi and Gleason's awesome Batman and Robin.

Also read The Dark Knight Returns somewhere in there as well.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.