[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did Don Bleuth become shit? Why did his career go so bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 91T+1OkYEnL._SL1500_.jpg (348 KB, 1048x1500) Image search: [Google]
91T+1OkYEnL._SL1500_.jpg
348 KB, 1048x1500
When did Don Bleuth become shit?

Why did his career go so bad so fast?
>>
Anastasia and Titan AE are fine.
>>
At one point, you've got it. Then you lose it. Then it's gone forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnAR2qB24yQ

Goes for everyone.
>>
>>82020957
Titan AE is absolutely terrible and I really can't grasp why anybody would hold it up as an example of a good Bluth movie.
Anastasia is fine though, even if the premise is weird if you think about it too hard, but then again, thats all of his movies.
>>
>>82020845
Executive meddling. It began with American Tail, became a healthy influence in Land Before Time, started to become a strain in All Dogs Go to Heaven, and reached its nadir with Troll in Central Park.
>>
>>82020957
Executive meddling for both.
>>
>>82020845
You misspelled his name, you lazy shit.
>>
I personally liked A Troll in Central Park, but then again I was very young when I first saw it and because of my little sister ended up watching it at least half a dozen times.

>>82021033

Titan A.E. isn't terrible, it just doesn't feel totally wrapped up. The designs, characters, story, etc. are all good, but they don't fully connect, leading to a confusing feeling. It'd be really solid as a short T.V. show and allowed to fully explore every theme it played with, but as a single movie I'm left wanting more.

Treasure Planet is much tighter, but then again it's just a new environment for Treasure Island.
>>
>>82020845
Disney Reinessance. Part of Bluth's sucess was the fact that Disney was doing AWFUL in the 80s. But when Who Framed Roger Rabbit and The Little Mermaid came out in theaters, Disney boomed back up, and Bluth just couldn't keep up.
>>
>>82023805
Add in the later SUPER SUCCESS releases of Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The box office busting animated film Lion King, the rest is history.
>>
>>82023737
I really never liked how human characters look in Bluth films. Something about their facial expressions and movements look too uncanny in comparison to Disney.
>>
He ran out of good ideas but didn't retire, making himself look like a fool.
>>
>>82023959
As I recall, he tended to use rotoscoping for his less cartoony characters. So that probably lends them that uncanny effect you're talking about.
>>
File: AmericanTail.png (956 KB, 1126x610) Image search: [Google]
AmericanTail.png
956 KB, 1126x610
>>82024655
Pic related.
>>
>>82020845
Secret of NIMH, The Land Before Time, An American Tail, and Anastasia are arguably his best works.
Didn't he announce that he was going to make as many as 7 more movies recently?
>>
>>82021006

I disagree, familimlam. Some people "have it" their entire lives.
>>
>>82020957
>Anastasia is fine.
>The bastardization of real events is fine.

No Anon, that is not fine. Even when Disney does it, it's not fine.
>>
>>82029619
>it's not fine

Time to stop watching movies, anon.
>>
>>82029762
You can't tell me what to do!
>>
i think everything he's made is great

even troll in central park, but i watched it a lot with my siblings when i was younger
>>
>>82029619

Wasn't Pocahontas also twisting and bastardizing real events?
>>
>>82030227
Hence I said

>Even when Disney does it, it's not fine.
>>
>>82029619

How many films based on "real events" AREN'T bastardizations of said events?
>>
>>82030624
It's not a very good genre.
>>
>>82029619
>>82029762
>>82030624

The issue isn't that it happens to not be totally accurate to reality. It's that is completely ignores the impetus of everything surrounding the October Revolution entirely and makes the Romanovs victims of Rasputin's evil plot. I don't expect an accurate history lesson down to the last detail, but it feels all too politically convenient to leave out the whole point of, everything, happening really in order to make the thing into a fairytale.

The movie isn't all that bad for what it is, but the distortion is much weirder than usual for these things, and just just feels bizarre to handle the subject like this.
>>
>>82023959
That, and I always hated how his more cartoony character had these big-ass, swolen lower lips.
>>
>>82029619
There's a difference between a story inspired by things that happened and a documentary. Why do autists struggle so much understanding this?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.