[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Tumblr-tier comic and visual novel artists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10
File: tumblr_o3aczjhDQ21s26cpho1_1280.jpg (224 KB, 1280x1006) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3aczjhDQ21s26cpho1_1280.jpg
224 KB, 1280x1006
Gist of the topic? We post art/artists that share following themes:

-Tumblr is the main distribution hub
-artist is a feminist/SJW/"progressivist"
-characters are either androgynous or chubby/fat
-characters are varying shades of dark skin, or in case of whites have some skin traits like pigmentation etc.
-female characters are lesbians
-character designs have standard "millenial" traits (sidecut or bald with a tuft of hair in front and dyed in some screeching color, "tumblr" nose, permanent blush etc.)
-characters are made diverse for sake of diversity, their only defining characteristics are "black", "lesbian", "trans", etc.

One example of "Tumblr" art, Violent Pink. http://violent-pink.tumblr.com/

And I am pretty sure someone will bring up Aaron Diaz.
>>
File: tumblr_o2saoq3TT91u9xlxwo1_1280.jpg (290 KB, 1280x662) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2saoq3TT91u9xlxwo1_1280.jpg
290 KB, 1280x662
Oh and another trait I forgot to mention:

-male characters are often portrayed as assholes or antagonists while female characters are always seen as wise, brave and flawless.
>>
Why did you make this thread?

What do you hope to gain?
>>
>>82002489
That picture just screams Utena, and I've never even seen it.
>>
>>82003928
Bump, just for you
>>
>>82004988

Yeah, the artist's stuff seems to be heavily influenced by Utena and various "magical girl" stuff.
>>
>>82005454

I mean, I hope you all have a good time in this thread, because I like Dumbing of Age generals and lord knows people come in and bitch in those all the time, but...are you just...seeking out new people to complain about? At least we just stick with one.
>>
File: da pac.gif (24 KB, 270x220) Image search: [Google]
da pac.gif
24 KB, 270x220
>>82005670
>I like Dumbing of Age
lol
>>
>>82005670

We're just looking for artists to make sure we know have to avoid, or someone to laugh at.
>>
>>82005807
Hey, he said Dumbing of Age generals, which are fun to shitpost in.
>>
>>82005816
> artists we have to avoid

why would you care what other people think of artists?
>>
>>82002401
>http://violent-pink.tumblr.com/
Why the hell is the Aeon Flux one always crying?
Is it supposed to be deep?
>>
>>82005896

Because I don't want to follow some Tumblrina by accident then have my inbox flooded with their "if you're a white cis male you're the worst garbage scumbag of Earth and here's why" posts and reblogs.
>>
File: 12314098230.png (842 KB, 901x700) Image search: [Google]
12314098230.png
842 KB, 901x700
>>82005896
Why are you still posting nigger?
>>
>>82005948
Then just bookmark their art tagged page or something if the idea of following them is a bother.
>>
>>82002401
I have no idea what this thread is about, but, is this a new original comic by Rob Leifeld? This looks like his typical design for a chick back in the 90s
>>
I am actually kind of interested about the subject. Just a personal interest thing, although their subject and style might not be what I am interested in personally.

What do you guys think about something like "Princeless" , or "Another Castle"? These are more recent "princess in a tower striking out don't need no man" type of story line. I believe there is another one that is a webcomic with similar premise. What do you think about those?
>>
>>82008567
Hmm, let me rephrase, I am interested in how people view these things as oppose to the usual opinion I found on the subject. I am just not as impressed with these project when I actually get my hands on them than how these things are usually talked about by various websites that actually talks about such things. Maybe just qualities that I wasn't seeing.
>>
>>82002401
We don't need a thread for complaining about Tumblr, because we already have an entire board dedicated to complaining about Tumblr. It's called /co/.
>>
>>82002401
>>82002489
That is at least drawing partially on art deco.

You're example is pretty weak by your own standards. It doesn't comply with
-characters are either androgynous or chubby/fat
-characters are varying shades of dark skin, or in case of whites have some skin traits like pigmentation etc.
-character designs have standard "millenial" traits (sidecut or bald with a tuft of hair in front and dyed in some screeching color, "tumblr" nose, permanent blush etc.)

And skimming through the blog I couldn't see much about the rest.
>>
>>82002401
I like that pic.
>>
>>82008751

Those examples are an initiative for other people to post material that matches the criteria, I wasn't describing what I was posting.
>>
>>82008567
Well it bothers me when they try to parody fairytales but go with the 'Prince battles dragon to rescue Princess from the tower' plot.

Off the top of their heads, can anyone even name one fairy tale in which features that story?

It's more of a romance/legends tale than a fairy tale.
>>
>>82008987
Out of honest curiosity, why did you go with that one?
>>
>>82008987
so basically you are too lazy to find suitable material for the thread YOU MADE YOURSELF, yet expect other people to do it for you.
>>
>>82009049

First thing that I noticed that matches at least some of the criteria. Extremely bright colors, semi-androgynous designs for males and out of all characters maybe one is white, everyone else has dark complexion.

I was going to post some Aaron Diaz stuff but everyone and their mother has seen that shit. I didn't want the thread to devolve into talk about him and him only.
>>
>>82009001

Oh shit, that reminds me of a comic series someone made about a really, really bitchy princess who cusses out and shits all over a knight or prince that comes to rescue her because she is an "independent womyn who don't need no man to rescue her, mmmmmm-hmm!!!" and keeps finding reasons to shit all over her would-be rescuer before he even gets a chance to talk. And the comic is presented in such manner that the readers should agree with the princess (when by all logic, they shouldn't).
>>
>>82009314
Didn't the knight got eaten by the dragon?
>>
lol blatant Toshinden rip
>>
>>82009429

Can't remember really. It's been a while since I saw it.
>>
>>82009465
And she had legs for miiiiiiiiiiiles
>>
>>82009465

Oh wow. Now that I look at the OP pic again, it's like Steven Universe aesthetics mixed with Utena, mixed with that.
>>
>>82009240
Those aren't bright colours though, they entirely feature muted and rich pallet. Semi-androgynous is in keeping with the Deco-style.

The only thing you've got is the complexion, and even that looks like an aesthetic choice; one dark, one mid, one pale.

Besides, really? I mean the guy is purple so..
>>
File: perrymaple_sofiaLineup.gif (132 KB, 744x514) Image search: [Google]
perrymaple_sofiaLineup.gif
132 KB, 744x514
>>82009542
it's a clear combination of Sofia's looks from the Battle Arena Toshinden series, it's so devoid of originality
>>
>>82002489
Can't like a million different cartoons starting from the 80's through to now with female MC's fall under this, or even half the other shit you brought up?

Just directly complaining about the artist if it's a political thing is more sincere then a laundry list of points that could potentially apply to works I'm assuming you like.
>>
>>82009542
>Steven Universe
>Utena
You'd think these works were all influenced by the same art movement or something.
>>
>>82002401
Too much butt in that pic for Tumblr.
>>
why though?
this is just advertisement.
this thread should be removed.
>>
File: I0YLUOR.jpg (95 KB, 514x806) Image search: [Google]
I0YLUOR.jpg
95 KB, 514x806
>>82002401
>puts all of their art on Tumblr
>artist is a progressive
>characters are androgynous and sometimes chubby (or are chicks with dicks)
>characters are varying shades of dark skin
>female characters are lesbians
>characters have dyed hair and piercings
Incase is a SJW guys
>>
>>82010662
Look at all these tumblr
>>
>>82010662
>>82010712

>attempting to divert from the subject at hand this hard

You guys know damn well what OP is talking about. What's the matter, worried that people here might start making fun of your favorite Tumblrina artist?
>>
>>82002401
That's a rather interesting style you got there.
>>
>>82010844
it's probably more when you cast a net as wide as the OP's where basically anything can be SJW you may as well hop off the internet since borderline everything is going to trigger you
>>
>>82009875
>>82009465
>>82002489
>>82002401

But when Rob does it, we all hate him!
>>
>>82002401
This artist isn't that "tumblr" but they are however ripping off Utena.
>>
>>82002401
That looks good though.

Go be retarded somewhere else
>>
>>82010844
This shit already makes up like 75% of all conversation on /co/. We didn't need an entire thread to bitch about it.
>>
File: liefeld.jpg (253 KB, 625x950) Image search: [Google]
liefeld.jpg
253 KB, 625x950
>>82009465
>>82011670
Because when he does it, it really does look like shit.
>>
Making threads about tumblr is shitposting.
>>
File: This.jpg (106 KB, 975x500) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
106 KB, 975x500
>>82012403
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.