[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>When you email back and forth with editorial you end up cracking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10
File: VISION2015007005-colREV-f806a.jpg (422 KB, 900x1366) Image search: [Google]
VISION2015007005-colREV-f806a.jpg
422 KB, 900x1366
>When you email back and forth with editorial you end up cracking all sorts of jokes, and one of the things we joked about was a dog. Which led me to think, "They definitely need a dog! How did I not have that in the first issue?"

>So I knew a lot of things would be coming out in issue #6 and I had this idea about the dog. Then it all came together and made total sense in my mind. It was as if the whole story had been leading there.

>I'm a child of divorce and I do remember getting a dog at the time of the divorce. It was like, "Okay, here! This fixes it. You have a dog now." [Laughs] I remember being seven years-old and thinking, "I'm not sure this fixes the whole situation, but I do like the dog." Everything you write is personal, but this comes from that personal space.

>Yes, that was horribly depressing, and not just because Zeke is the name of my wife's childhood dog. She is so mad at me! In kind of a funny way, but not in kind of a funny way, too.

>Sometimes you write a script where you create a character and you just throw a name in there as a placeholder, and I write so many comic books that sometimes my placeholders just fall through. [Laughs] So it got published, and my wife was like, "Why is their dog named Zeke?" And I said, "I needed a dog's name and that was your childhood dog." So she turns the page and there he is on fire, and she goes "What are you doing to my dog?!" [Laughs] I was like, "I can explain!" Then I cut his poor little brain open.

>That was the first page where Marvel said, "I think you guys have gone a little too far." The original was a little more aggressive in showing the brain stuff. Gabriel had to pull it back. So it was even worse in the first version.
>>
>>81985188
what is happening? why is he kissing Wanda? Am i going crazy?
>>
>>81987194

>Issue #7 isn’t exactly a stand-alone. It’s more of a background issue. Before starting this new arc we’re going to flash back to Vision’s relationship with the Scarlet Witch. It will cover from when they first hooked up to when they “uncoupled.”

>So that entire issue takes place in the past. In it you’ll find out the extremes Vision went to acquire the brain patterns for Virginia.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/tom-king-vision-marvel-universe-scarlet-witch
>>
>>81985188
Was it the same kind of dog thought?
>>
>>At the end of issue #6 you revealed Agatha Harkness has been telling the story of this first arc to a number of Marvel heroes. It feels like you've been laying some elaborate ground work and now going forward you're going to see this story expand into the greater Marvel Universe. Is that accurate?

>Yeah, so this first half was a set up for this huge confrontation that's coming. What Vision does to help his family leads him into a confrontation with the heroes of the Marvel Universe. I wanted this story to start very small and personal, and then let those beats vibrate throughout the universe because I wanted the stakes to be super high for this comic book. I wanted the story to be important and cool.

>So now that we've set this up and have sort of the personal drive we can get into the thrust of the story.

>I think of the first issue as sort of a reflection of what the series is going to be as a whole; where you start off with this small personal story and it ends with this huge violence. The violence seems to matter more because you have that small, personal story. It's not just more noise.

>>You still have some more mysteries to reveal in these next few issues as well. Will readers find out the mystery of who Vision used to model Virginia's brain patterns soon, or is that something that won't come until the end?

>That actually comes out in issue #7. So that mystery will be revealed next issue.

>>"Vision" #8 is the start of a new arc titled "Little Better Than a Beast."

Interview on Michael Walsh on that issue: http://marvel.com/news/comics/26031/visions_of_love

Those interviews will be posted in full once the lettered preview of The Vision #7 comes out on May 5.
>>
>>81985188
Reminder to Mail Marvel/E-mail Marvel/comment on Tom King's facebook to name the Vision's new synthezoid canine.
I like Vido
>>
>>81987449
Well, Wanda's definitely the one Virginia is based off of unless it's a bait and switch. I think it isn't since it's been clear about how Vision's attempting to recreate the happiness he shared with her in his first marriage.
>>
>>81987518
It's not gonna be Wanda. Or at least not 100% her. King is doing something cool here. I'm a DC guy but I'm sad his Vision isn't gonna have more issues past 12.
>>
File: 1447457227617.jpg (801 KB, 1248x1920) Image search: [Google]
1447457227617.jpg
801 KB, 1248x1920
Quick, everybody make wild guesses so somebody can brag about calling it.
>>
It is either Wanda or Janet
>>
File: av128_b.jpg (114 KB, 800x292) Image search: [Google]
av128_b.jpg
114 KB, 800x292
>>81987518
>>81987736

>yfw Mantis

this one wants the dick
>>
Obviously Wanda. Virginia is dealing with Wanda's depression that SW got herself medication for.
>>
Oh King you rascal you.
>>
>>81990503
It's Wanda and Janet's brain waves grafted onto a copy of Jocasta's mind.
>>
>>81987736
> Wanda, or various Wanda's, some obtained from Kang, plus Mantis and Jocasta. A Frankenstein's wife.

Virginia is too domestic to be wholly Wanda.
>>
>>81987518
But he's removed all the bits of Wanda he didn't like to make Virginia; the witchcraft, the independence, the self-doubt, etc.
>>
>>81991456
But he left in the mental illness, just to see what would happen.
>>
>>81991663
What do you expect from a Pym?
>>
Since Virginia was made by Vision, basically his child, is it incest?
>>
>>81994568
Yes.
>>
>>81994568
Yes.
Not really that surprising, Ultron did the exact same thing with Jocasta, except her brainwaves were based Janet who he sees as his mom.
>>
>>81985188
King's PTSD must be really bad
>>
I hope Pym shows up in the series.
>>
>>81985188
>Zeke is the name of my wife's childhood dog. She is so mad at me!
This is hilarious
>>
>>81987456
I like Voof
>>
>>81991456
>the independence
Wow. Vision's an insecure little bitch.
>>
>>81995655
Scarletwitching had a very nice meta on Vision
>>
>>81995655
He blames Wanda for everything. Even though he started everything by being baby crazy and pushing her to use magic to make babies even though she didn't want kids and was later fine with adopting.
>>
>>81995706
Fuck Bendis.
Fuck Byrne.
>>
>>81995692
>>81995706
That's kind of pathetic. Good thing he doesn't have any balls in the physical sense, cause he doesn't have them metaphorically either.
>>
>>81995774
He used to have balls. Byrne had them removed because Vision = toaster to him.
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 560x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 560x850
Scarlet Witching:
Vision and Scarlet Witch came out on the same day for the first time this month, and reading them back to back made me realize how opposite their narratives are.

Wanda’s book is constantly moving, changing artist and setting. The world around Wanda is strange and often surreal; it’s full of magic, like her. Vision’s is haunted by a quiet, suburban stillness. It contrasts the strangeness of its characters with the mundanity of its setting.

Vision is detached and naturalistic, narrated from a matter-of-fact third person perspective. It doesn’t pass judgement on its protagonists’ questionable behavior. It only observes. Scarlet Witch is personal and introspective, told through its heroine’s first person musings, and it’s all about Wanda passing judgement on herself and her past and reclaiming her right to call herself a hero.
>>
>>81995850
>>81995742
>Bryne
>Bendis
Ah. That explains a lot.

I don't see how one can actually find the idea of a robot with feelings implausible. There's so much media about artificial intelligence, that both "beep boop kill all humans", AND "beep boop what is love?" are considered cliches. It's willful ignorance at this point.
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 560x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 560x850
>>81995885
This is a book defined by forward motion; it’s about moving and moving on. It is informed and shaped by the past, but not swallowed by it. Wanda has, for a long time, been defined primarily by her convoluted history. Part of the mission of Scarlet Witch is to make her a product of that history, but to give her a world and a mythology she can inhabit that isn’t dependent on you knowing the exact details of her Mephisto soulchildren (or on you not knowing those details so that the writer can change them to suit his needs). That’s why the details of her spooky bad past – the one that makes people afraid of her – are left vague, to keep them from consuming the story and her character as they previously did.

While the past is acknowledged in SW, there is also a deliberate attempt to go against it. It’s centered around Wanda doing the opposite of what she has always done. That’s why it starts out with Wanda, who was crafted to be possessed, performing an exorcism, as part of a larger story about Wanda, the great Breaker of Things, trying to fix something. She asserts a level of proactivity and proficiency here that she hasn’t had in a really, really long time. She takes care of herself. She develops a healthy attitude about her trauma. She’s not looking to undo the past, but rather to accept it.

Vision is a book about repetition compulsion, about repeating the traumas of the past as part of a futile attempt to control them. Vision is recreating what he and Wanda had, a suburban life with two children, but he is trying to recreate it as perfect, as pure, as without flaw. The unconscious hope here is that, if he can remake the source of his trauma, but this time, keep it from ending in disaster, he will heal his wounds. The problem is that healing doesn’t come from returning to a poisoned well and repeating the past will only hurt you more.
>>
File: image.png (868 KB, 910x562) Image search: [Google]
image.png
868 KB, 910x562
>>81995918
And Vision’s past-repeating is leading to a familiar place…

Or, at least, it wants you to think it’s leading to a familiar place.
Since the first issue, Vision’s narration has been foreshadowing death and destruction. Of course, since the first issue, there has been death and destruction, but the foreshadowed ending is bigger, apocalyptic, and it’s reminiscent of another storyline: Avengers Disassembled.

Vision is trying desperately to hold onto the family he has created and the false perfection they embody, but Vision’s perfect life is built on secrets and denial and Vision’s complete disregard for women’s bodily integrity. His wife, Virginia, is miserable in this world he created, but she doesn’t want to lose it either. It’s all she knows. And she’s been driven to desperation, to actions that have led to the deaths of others and attempts to cover up those deaths that make everything worse.
>>
>>81995949
(This is the part where I awkwardly don’t mention that Virginia totally has Wanda’s brain, since that hasn’t officially been revealed yet, and how that fits into a lifelong pattern of men – and demons – treating Wanda like an object and acting like her body, powers, and now mind are theirs to do whatever they want with.)

The end of all this, we’re told, is the assembled heroes of the Marvel Universe dead at Vision’s feet. Maybe because he killed them, maybe not. Red herrings are a thing, and this book is not above them. Whether that actually happens or not, the imagery evokes Disassembled. A hero who loses control of themselves because their family has been taken from them. That was the ending of Vision’s first attempt to have children too, and Vision is a book about repeating.

Here’s the thing: While Vision is repeating his past, he’s also running from it. The running and the repeating aren’t unrelated. Vision’s repeating of his old trauma is a product of him trying to repress his feelings. He literally erased all of his feelings.This might have been fine if Vision were a robot, but he’s not. He is human, psychologically, and human beings cannot erase trauma. They have to learn to deal with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (669 KB, 800x1229) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
669 KB, 800x1229
>>81995995
What Vision is running from the most is Wanda, and more specifically, the imperfections that she represents. She is currently learning to accept the imperfect parts of herself, and he is trying to escape them. It was, after all, Wanda’s imperfect powers that created their children, but their creation was imperfect too. They were accidentally made from pieces of a demon (and who is it that’s always attracting demons?), and losing them was a huge blow for Vision. His children were the ultimate, indisputible proof of his humanity. Without them, he was lost, and even when they were resurrected, it wasn’t the same.

In the early days of Wanda and Vision’s relationship, there was a recurring idea that he was perfect (or, at least, perfectly logical), and this was contrasted with Wanda, who is and always was decidedly imperfect. This lead to a lot of narrative unfairness in their relationship. Wanda is too emotional, too irrational, too vulnerable, too human compared to Vision, but it is those qualities that draw people to her. The way that Wanda was able to do what Vision struggled with, the way she was so effortlessly human, are what made Vision love her, but I don’t think he realizes that. He has recreated their family, but did it without the human component that made it real. He’s trying to get away from imperfections because humanity is an uncomfortable place for him and because all of this reminds him of his trauma.

In trying to get away from Wanda, he is becoming the worst version of her. The version that doesn’t care if the world burns down. The version driven blindly by anger and grief and a need for control.
>>
>>81996020
I’d be remiss not to point out that Vision trying desperately to get away from Wanda and her impact on her life is kind of funny (and extra sad) because Wanda is long gone. Her heart and body are somewhere else. Her demon baby plotline was resolved when she met Billy and Tommy in Children’s Crusade. She has other demons following her now. The spectre haunting her is her own actions, not a relationship, and the picture on her nightstand is of Clint and Pietro and Steve, not Vision.

This is a reflection of their relative importance in each other’s overarching stories. Vision is easily the most important character in Wanda’s history, but he doesn’t loom nearly as large in it as she does in his. He is a non-entity in Wanda’s book, but she is present on every page and drives every decision in his. All without ever appearing.
>>
>>81985188
I think the best part is that when King leaves, this is going to become a really stupid generic action hero comic where Vision dates a black robot, his wife marries Ultron and his son gets addicted to cyberdrugs while his daughter disguises herself as a black robot and dates her dad.
>>
>>81996049
Book is cancelled at 12
>>
>>81995897
Their children was supposed to be fairy talish. They wished very hard and a miracle occurred.

Then Byrne appeared.
>>
>>81996049
The sales are utter shit. It's only gone on for this long because of Tom King. If it was any other random writer the book would've been lucky to reach issue 6.
>>
>>81996445
They're actually pretty respectable for Marvel, plus they need a Vision comic due to his presence in the MCU.
>>
>>81996071

That's a good thing in this instance. Nothing but a good thing.
>>
>>81996463
below 20k is definitely not respectable for Marvel.
>>
>>81996463
Marvel has stricter sales bottomline than DC and the sales for this book aren't good enough for both companies.
>>
>>81996489
Venom Space Knight, Vision, Web Warriors, Guardians of Infinity, Agents of Shield, Howard the Duck, Star-Lord, Nova, Hellcat, X-men Worst X-man Ever, Angela Queen of Hel, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Illuminati, Black Knight, Drax, Hercules, Howling Commandos of Shield and Weirdworld, Red Wolf, Starbrand and Nightmask, Contest of Champions.

Most of Marvel's stuff (and all the above) sells at 20k or below. The only thing really anchoring it up high is Star Wars comics.
>>
>>81996522
>Marvel has stricter sales bottomline than DC and the sales for this book aren't good enough for both companies.
Red Wolf is selling 9k.

No one mentioned DC.
>>
>>81996579
Most of those books are hitting the chopping block or already have.

Moon girl and Starbrand are dead in the water. So is Angela.
>>
>>81996594
Isn't Red Wolf stealth canceled already?
>>
>>81996579
I don't doubt Marvel is internally in turmoil over how the short term gains of pausing everything for Secret Wars ended up destroying them later and crossing their fingers hard for Civil War 2.
>>
>>81991117
Jocasta is already Janet's brain.
>>
>>81985188
>My wife's dog
heh
>>
>>81985188
this guy sounds pathetic as fuck.
>>
>>81996953
>former CIA operative
>pathetic
>>
>>81996953
Bait harder, bro
>>
>>81985188
uh hey, would you recommend this book to a new comer? I know it's pretty good but I feel like most of the stuff here would be lost to whomever I'm gonna shill this book too.
>>
>>81997689
I would totally reccomend this to a newcomer. What would they be lost on?
>>
File: Bendis hates Classic Avengers.jpg (455 KB, 1024x1589) Image search: [Google]
Bendis hates Classic Avengers.jpg
455 KB, 1024x1589
>>81996106
But after Byrne writers had fixed it.
And then Bendis came along, his only exposure to Byrne and Vision apparently being Byrne, and he ignored everything all those other writers had done and fucked everything up
>>
>>81985188
Jesus, Count Nefaria is destroying the city and these two pick that time to start necking.
>>
File: vision9[1].jpg (190 KB, 924x1400) Image search: [Google]
vision9[1].jpg
190 KB, 924x1400
Vision #9 cover
>>
>>81999030
t-they're not gonna kill best robo-fu are they?
>>
>>81999030
RIP Viv, we all saw it coming because of the ominous narrator spoiling it but we will miss you.
>>
>>81999030

That's a good cover.
>>
>>81999082
Better dead than in the hands of Bendis or another hack
>>
She should be grateful her husband is not Humphries.
>>
>>81998108
How does the image show that Bendis hates anything. Spider-Man makes a tasteless joke, gets called out on it and Strange is upset that something happened to children he delivered
>>
Marvel censorship.
>>
>>81987237
>That family dinner with Bova and Magneto
kek
>>
>>81999305
In context, when read with the rest of Disassembled and the way he treats some of these characters, it's far more damning.
Nick Fury also insultingly says that Scarlet Witch was an evil terrorist villain even though anyone with cursory knowledge of her backstory knows that it's not the case, and none of her friends point it out.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.