[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should good morality be pushed aside in cartoons?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Should good morality be pushed aside in cartoons?
>>
>>81983660
In a show targeted at adults that should already have good moral understanding? Why not?
>>
This may perhaps be a buzzword nowadays, but the term mean-spirited has been popping up all over the net and I really want to get your opinion on whether or not morality in general should be a deciding factor when telling stories.
>>
>>81983660
it is not immoral to draw a picture of a dead whale
>>
Sometimes it can be great and even children cartoons should pull it sometimes to freshen things up but it's still just another trope and because it goes against the grain doesn't make it any better than other clichés.
>>
File: cut joke.jpg (283 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
cut joke.jpg
283 KB, 1280x1440
>>81983751
I was on the fence on whether or not I should use this pic (minus the text), but at the end of the day I know the whale gag triggers /co/ more.
>>
>>81983746
I don't think it's common because it's a buzzword. It's just used to describe a show that has a cynical element to it. It's really up to the person to use the word as a positive thing or an negative thing.
>>
>>81983746
>This may perhaps be a buzzword nowadays
This conversation is going nowhere fast.
>>
Yes, but if it's a comedy show it should still be funny.
>>
>>81983816
At least that's a joke. Kind of.
>>
Comedy is probably a force for evil in the universe. It makes us laugh at things that should horrify us, and hardens our hearts. Also we tend to agree with people who can make us laugh, which is why you see idiots on Facebook endlessly quoting comedians as if they were fountains of wisdom.

Having said that, if you're going to be cruel in your comedy, you have to be very, VERY funny tojustify it. Otherwise it's just creepy and unpleasant.

Family Guy definitely falls into the unpleasant classification.
>>
There were some morally upright characters. Brian, & Brian's atheist girlfriend for that one episode to name a couple. But by surrounding them with weirdos does their morality shine even brighter.
>>
>>81984028
>There were some morally upright characters. >Brian
>>
>>81984028

Brian. The guy who sold Quagmire a rotting apartment complex after Quagmire paid for his reconstructive dentistry? That Brian?
>>
Sure, as long as it's self-aware and not actively trying to encourage bad morals.
>>
>>81983660
No, but shock value should not be considered smart o courageous. It's basically the lowest level of comedy.
>>
>>81984298
I think stealing internet memes and generally repeating already popular jokes over and over again is probably a lower form of comedy, but Family Guy has been guilty of that too for quite some time.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.