[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this the definitive Batman Omnibus? I wanna read Batman before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10
is this the definitive Batman Omnibus? I wanna read Batman before he was Edgeman
>>
>>81980156
This thread is 1000% fishing for some more "lmao batman breakin necks" anecdotes. OP couldn't into subtlety if his unoriginal faggot ass depended on it
>>
Batman was arguably edgier in the early Golden Age then he his today, he uses guns and kills people on accession. Read Silver Age Batman if you want lighthearted Batman and read Bronze Denny O'Neil Batman if you want serious Batman that is uninfluenced by Miller and Moore.
>>
>>81980156
70s Batman best Batman
Golden Age Batman sucks btw
>>
Potential trolling aside, how is the omnibus as a collection? Good quality? I haven't read any OG Batman except for DC 27 and it would be fun to read the early stuff.
Plus I do love that original costume.
>>
File: f 7.jpg (13 KB, 199x253) Image search: [Google]
f 7.jpg
13 KB, 199x253
>>81980240
I love it when people try to prove something about Batman with his earliest appearances where he kills people and uses guns, ignoring the HUNDREDS of stories that followed them where he never takes a life, becomes fully deputized by the Gotham Police Department, and goes on adventures that were adapted directly into episodes of the Adam West show.
>>
>>81980156
Early Batman really isn't good. The writing is pretty bad. Like it's interesting to read the first few issues for historical perspective, but it's no Golden Age Superman, Plastic Man
>>
>>81980240
/thread
>>
>>81980156
Batman is among the weakest of DC's Golden Age repertoire, but it is pretty funny to watch him ice folks like it's nobody's business.
>>
>>81981411
Even Golden Age Superman isn't good.
>>
>>81982690
It's got nothing on Captain Marvel, that's for sure.
>>
>>81980474

Golden age is okay if you get a kick out of old comics.

Silver age is shit unless you love the camp.
>>
>>81982756

Ah golden age Captain Marvel. The comics DC will never let us reprinted in high quality.
>>
>>81982820
Seriously though. if I had the money I'd get one of those 1989 Monster Society of Evil hardcovers. Being a poorfag sucks, I tell you.
>>
File: goddamn batman.png (2 MB, 1000x1506) Image search: [Google]
goddamn batman.png
2 MB, 1000x1506
>>81980156
This is the definitive Batman.
>>
>>81980240
>>81980480
Man you guys have become so paranoid and jaded about potential trolls.
>>
File: Batman_First_Appearance_Figure.jpg (39 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
Batman_First_Appearance_Figure.jpg
39 KB, 400x533
I would love to see new stories with the original Bat-Man.
The old writing may suck, but the character was pretty interesting. Millionaire by day, hardcore streetfighter slightly fascistical vigilante by night. He kills criminals and is afraid of nothing.
Simple and engaging.

No gimmicks, no Batgod, no gods, no other heroes, no stupid convoluted pretentious bullshit written by tryhard hacks, no faggot clown or sidekicks or a fucking family of sidekicks.
JUST Bat-Man.
>>
>>81986040
>I would love to see new stories with the original Bat-Man.
There are a shit ton of those

Batman Year One
Batman and the Monster Men
Batman and the Mad Monk
The Man Who Laughs
Batman: Shaman
Batman: Prey
Batman: Gothic

>He kills criminals and is afraid of nothing.
Of course this doesn't apply because that was only true for literally like 2 issues.
>>
>>81982756
That stuff is so cringe inducingly racist. Yeah, yeah historical relativism, but I can't even get through it.
>>
>>81986252
Actually, after dropping the use of guns, Bat-Man keeps killing for many issues. He only stopped ater Robin was created.
>>
>>81986621

Which was still very, very early in.
>>
>>81987300
Well then why are you suggesting shit that is the opposite of what the guy clearly wants?
>>
>>81986252
>Batman Year One
Not bad
>Batman and the Monster Men
Pretty good
>Batman and the Mad Monk
It actually retconned out the supernatural and made it all a scam. Which sucks. I feel it's okay for Batman to use a gun to shoot a goddamn vampire. I miss that.
>The Man Who Laughs
Actually a pretty darn good retelling of their original encounter.

Throw in Long Halloween and Dark Victory, as well as Robin Year One as other very good modern stories set in Batman's early history.

>Batman: Shaman
>Batman: Prey
>Batman: Gothic

I did not know these were retellings of classic Golden Age stories. Huh.
>>
>>81987331

That was my first post on the subject.

Robin appears in the first or second Chronicles, meaning within the first dozen Batman stories.

He still killed a few dies in that though.
>>
>>81987367
>Throw in Long Halloween and Dark Victory, as well as Robin Year One as other very good modern stories set in Batman's early history.
While I also like these stories, I would say that they fall outside of the "OG Batman" category. They mark the beginning of when Batman starts being more of a superhero and less of The Shadow with a Bat theme.

>I did not know these were retellings of classic Golden Age stories. Huh.
They aren't, but they're all set in that "Year One" era when Batman is very street level and grounded.
>>
>>81987498
>While I also like these stories, I would say that they fall outside of the "OG Batman" category. They mark the beginning of when Batman starts being more of a superhero and less of The Shadow with a Bat theme.

Well he's more fully formed in them to be sure, but it's still clearly early days where he's feeling out the job, and the police are figuring him out too. The one big caveat on it being early is how many of his villains are fully formed between the two tales. So I guess in a way they're best read as a sort of finale to pulp Batman. The transition from pulp to superhero if you will.

And frankly Robin Year One was just surprisingly good. (So was Batgirl Year One.)

>They aren't, but they're all set in that "Year One" era when Batman is very street level and grounded.

Ah. Thanks friend. I think I'll look into them myself. I think I have the old prestige format issues for Gothic too. Or was it Pray? Anyway...
>>
File: Cooke New Frontier.jpg (259 KB, 727x1000) Image search: [Google]
Cooke New Frontier.jpg
259 KB, 727x1000
I think most people enjoy Silver Age material more because of it's silly camp, but in all honesty I'm much more attracted to Golden Age material. I think it's just a much more fascinating window into history seeing comics which were created during wartime and post-war America. I also think the material isn't as watered down as the Silver Age, since this is prior to the implementation of the Comics Code which really changed a lot of things in the medium. I'm honestly also not really bothered by the killing done by the heros at the time as well - be it Superman letting a scientist get killed by the poison gas they were concocting or Batman capping some guy.
>>
>>81986621
Doesn't Robin kill a person in his first appearance?
>>
>>81988419
Yeah, in 'Tec 38 they're fighting some goons on steel girders high above the city and Robin knocks one off with a slingshot and kick of another one.
>>
File: 4331710-batman+is+confused.jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
4331710-batman+is+confused.jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>81981411
OP here, what is the best era of Batman then? DESU I never read any comics other than graphic novels / one shots, but I wanna get into pre-Batgod grimdark Batman.

>>81982787
>Silver age is shit unless you love the camp.

Really? From wikipedia:

"O'Neil's 1970s run on the Batman titles, under the direction of editor Julius Schwartz,[15] is perhaps his best-known endeavor, getting back to the character's darker roots after a period dominated by the campiness of the 1960s TV series."
>>
>>81988963
fuck I forgot " t b h " is filtered.
>>
>>81988963
70s are the Bronze Age
>>
File: Silver Age Batman.jpg (552 KB, 1085x1600) Image search: [Google]
Silver Age Batman.jpg
552 KB, 1085x1600
>>81988963
>OP here, what is the best era of Batman then?
There is no "best" era of Batman because everyone has different tastes. Some people like Bat-Shadow Golden Age Batman. Some people like goofy Silver Age Batman. Some people like dark detective Bronze Age Batman. And some people like the current Modern Age inspired Batman. Different strokes for different folks.
DESU I never read any comics other than graphic novels / one shots, but I wanna get into pre-Batgod grimdark Batman. You can like multiple eras, you can like all eras. Or you can just not like Batman.

>I wanna get into pre-Batgod grimdark Batman
Read Silver Age Batman (Adam West style).

>Really? From wikipedia:
That's the start of Bronze Age Batman, when he started to go back to his darker roots.
>>
>>81988963
the 70s weren't SIlver Age, they were the Bronze Age. Silver Age Batman is 50s and 60s. 70s with people like O'Neil and Englehart were really good, though dated to many modern readers. The 80s were very mixed- you had a lot of Batman's greatest comics of all time like TDKR, TKJ, Year One, and Arkham Asylum, but a lot of the filler is just kind of ok. The 90s is when things got really different. Early 90s were dominated by DC's obsession with "events" and Batman's answer to that was Knightfall Saga, which I personally think is really good if you skip the Knightquest arc, though you also had Legends of the Dark Knight which was fantastic. NML in the late nineties was also a really fun time for the whole bat family where everything was starting to feel really fleshed out. The Early 2000s didn't have a lot of very good Batman Comics, but the extended Bat Family like Batgirl, Catwoman, and Gotham Central were all fantastic. The late 2000s were dominated by Morrison's run which is absolutely amazing, though sometimes guilty of bat god. After that is New 52 with Snyder.

I'm sure a lot of anons will disagree with my personal tastes but that's my viewpoint. It really depends what you're looking for in Batman.
>>
>>81982690

Golden Age Superman is pretty hilarious.
>>
>>81989229
is this a good start or is there a better Omnibus?

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Adams-Omnibus-Denny-ONeil/dp/1401255515/
>>
>>81989229
>Morrison Bat-God
He is the originator of it though. Bat-God started in his JLA run.
>>
>>81989814
Yeah, but the re-coloring is awful. I would just download the scans of the original issues.
>>
>>81989875
They really should just release a "variant interior" edition with the original coloring.
>>
File: Batman_Strange_Apparitions_TP.jpg (92 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Strange_Apparitions_TP.jpg
92 KB, 400x600
>>81989814
While Neal Adams is a God-Tier artist, he's kind of a shitty writer and I actually wouldn't recommend buying his Omnibus. There a number of really great TPBs of Bronze Age stories out there such as Strange Apparitions or Tales of the Demon, but sadly most of them are out of print.

>>81989817
I think it's way worse in JLA than it is in his Batman run. I actually found Batgod to be a really interesting "comprehensive" take on the character during the epic (listening to Morrison talk about how he got there is really interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fut9DHWzi50 ) but in JLA having Batman constantly show up being the smartest, strongest and bestest guy in the room was just king of eye-rolling, and I say that as a huge batfag.
>>
>>81989875
why does DCuck keep doing this with all their comics? Half of the reviews on these re-releases are people rating low stars just because of it.

Are they really that bad?
>>
>>81989944
I don't understand why Marvel, and DC keep recoloring there back issues. Worst part is most pirate sites only upload the digital version, which most of the time looks like ass.
>>
>>81989985
I think they reprinted Tales of the Demon only a year or two ago.
>>
>>81990127
No, if you have never seen the original. I read the TPBs first and it was fine, but after seeing the originals it was clear that they were superior in every way.
>>
>>81990161
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Birth of the Demon TPB?
>>
>>81980319
>read Bronze Denny O'Neil Batman if you want serious Batman that is uninfluenced by Miller and Moore.
Denny wrote in the 70s. Miller and Moore were more active in the 80s. If anything, that statement should be reversed.
>>
>>81990360
Did you misread or something?
>>
>>81989814
Since the digital recoloring kind of ruins the art for me, I'd recommend checking out Showcase Presents: Batman v5-6. They're in black and white, but you get about 500 pages in a phonebook-sized collection for $20 or less.
>>
are the digital versions recolored or good?
>>
>>81990397
>UNinfluenced
It would seem so.
>>
>>81989985
>Neal Adams
He only wrote Odyssey and a Black and White story. Everything else he just penciled.
>>
>>81990541
Recolored, and it's terrible.
>>
>>81989985
>and I actually wouldn't recommend buying his Omnibus.

He didn't write the stuff in the Omnibus. Unless they were doing it Marvel style or something. I know that Adams can take control of the direction of a story.
>>
>>81990636
The omnibus includes Odyssey which he wrote. But that's it.
>>
>>81989817
>He is the originator of it though. Bat-God started in his JLA run.
There really isn't any Bat-God in his JLA anymore than there was in JLI or previous Batman team appearances. Hell large sections of JLA have little to no Bat presence and Bats gets at least one sequence of getting his shit completely wrekt (first Prometheus fight).
>>
>>81986386
But there's only like one or two issues that even has that, and that's later in the run, too. So you avoid reading some of the best stuff from an entire era just because you might get offended by some scans? That's pretty unreasonable, m8. Regardless, it IS your opinion but you really should give it another shot.
>>
>>81980156
Batman has always been the edgeman. And If you can accept that you will have a fun time.

For me batman is about the spectacle and the weird personalities of the characters.

But don't expect a cool detective story where you have to actually to think to follow the narrative of the mystery. At least not at the moment, that sort of things haven't arrived at comics yet.
>>
>>81986386
>>81991182
It wasn't one or two issues. There was a large chunk of it that was pretty racist but mostly in the early, maybe mid-1940's at most.
>>
>>81990704
Wait they actually included Odyssey in that Omnibus? Guess they really did have room for it after all.
>>
>>81992553
Neal must have forced it in, it is his favourite Batman work of his own.
>>
>>81986040
I'd want to see a Bat-Man comic if they distinguish him enough from Batman. Make him kill/use a gun if neccesary, even set it in 1939. His opponents tended to range from standard criminals to mad scientists to supernatural beings.

>>81986252
To me I think Bat-Man and Year One Batman are starkly different, and I kind of associate most of those on your list as a Year One Batman. That's not a bad thing, but I just think of Bat-Man as a very specific version.
>>
>>81986252
>>81986621
>Of course this doesn't apply because that was only true for literally like 2 issues.

>Actually, after dropping the use of guns, Bat-Man keeps killing for many issues. He only stopped ater Robin was created.

Neither of these are true. He killed a lot of people an issue after Robin was introduced, and arguably he "killed" or was willing to kill Hugo Strange. (Strange didn't come back till Steve Englehart worked on the character, so after that people didn't assume Batman killed him).

That being said, things did change fast. Batman got deputized by Commissioner Gordon in Batman #7, published in 1941. Note that Gordon points out that Batman never carries a gun, which meant they quickly pretended the 1939 stuff never happened.
>>
File: batman 007-65.jpg (600 KB, 1280x1729) Image search: [Google]
batman 007-65.jpg
600 KB, 1280x1729
>>81992826
Oops forgot the image.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.