[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I havent read marvel in god knows how long and I was curious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: Ghost rider.jpg (1 MB, 805x1224) Image search: [Google]
Ghost rider.jpg
1 MB, 805x1224
So I havent read marvel in god knows how long and I was curious about the latest Ghost Rider. Is his series worth reading, how does he differ from Johnny/Danny, whats his relation to them? That kind of thing.
>>
>>81970383
Yes
His spirit isn't a Spirit of Vengeance. Though it may as well be.
He hasn't met Danny, Johnny is teaching him how to keep the spirit in check.

Some people loved it some hated it, check it out, either way.
>>
If you're going to read it, just do the first arc. The art gets reeeal bad.
>>
>>81970383
Skip it and just focus on Danny or Johnny. All new ghost rider was horrible.
>>
File: 20140410-201439.jpg (129 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
20140410-201439.jpg
129 KB, 640x427
>>81970383
I fucking loved all new ghost rider. It was a unique interesting take on the character with completely unique motivations. And holy shit the art by Tradd moore is fucking amazing.

when i first heard of it i was like 'what the fuck, no thanks!'
ghost rider in a hot rod instead of on a harley! PFFT
Some new kid whose probably mexican for diversity! right sure
his heads not just a skull wreathed in fire! laaame

but nope its good. every element is good. The car is so fucking cool. The engine spews flame, the wheels spew flame, the headlights i think spew flame, fuck...THE INSIDES ARE ENTIRELY ON FIRE!

And his head is like if you combined a mexican day of the dead mask with a chrome supercharger spewing lit jet fuel out of the openings.

Unfortunately when the artist changes like 6 issues in...yeah it goes downhill a bit visually. but the story still works for me. At the very least check out that first arc though. I still hope some day well get another Felipe smith/tradd moore ghost rider book about robbie reyes.
>>
>>81970383
>whats his relation to them?

Robbie's not a "real" GR, he's possessed by the ghost of a devil-worshipping serial killer.

There's an arc where Johnny shows up to fight/free him but decides to let him be because he seems to have the powers under control.
>>
>>81970746
I actual don't mind the art on this, it's a bit jarring compared to the usual Marvel house style but I think it serves the story well
>>
I side with most of the people here
first arc was cool, then the art got bad and I lost interest
>>
>>81971107
No, the first arcs art is gorgeous, after that the artist switches, and it goes ugly.
>>
Ok so only check out the first arc, got it. I was a little off put by a new Ghost Rider when I first heard about it and never really thought about it until now. The car isnt dumb is it? Maybe its personal bias, but I thought the bike seemed more versatile since its smaller. Anyway thanks guys
>>
>>81970383
The first five issues are unbelievably good, some of Tradd Moore's best work in comics.
>>
>>81972988
It's bigger, yes, but he can teleport inside of it at will. It only comes up once, when it gets stolen.
>>
It starts out pretty cool, but then the artist changes and it goes to shit. Ghost Racers was okay.

Ghost Rider as a whole is in Marvel purgatory right now since no one really cares about them.
>>
Well color me interested whats the name? Just Ghost Rider?
>>
>>81973247
All New Ghost Rider
>>
>>81970931
After he's done with Luther Strode, Tradd Moore needs to pencil something that just goes fast.
>>
File: drive henshin.webm (3 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
drive henshin.webm
3 MB, 853x480
>>81970383
I've only read a few issues storytimed here on /co/ but from what I've read it's pretty good. He's not a "proper" Ghost Rider since he's possessed by the ghost of a devil worshiper and not the spirit of vengeance, and the relationship with this ghost pushing him to do bad shit and him trying to do good is the main draw of the book. Why the fuck there isn't ANY piece of crossover art between him and Kamen Rider Drive, I'll never know.
>>
>>81972750
Only for the second arc. The third arc has Felipe doing the art, and then Ghost Racers has another solid artist on it. The only arc with iffy art is the second one, and even then it's not that bit, just heavily stylized.
>>
File: ronnycordova.jpg (8 KB, 320x181) Image search: [Google]
ronnycordova.jpg
8 KB, 320x181
>>81974895

So he's basically an entirely different entity than GR anyway?

I kind of feel like this character design could have been used just to create something entirely original instead of just piggybacking on the Ghost Rider name.

Anyone else feel like that?

I am all for change and reinterpretations but what is the connecting thread between GR and this redesign aside from 'flaming skulls and vehicles?'

Don't get me twisted, I actually really like the character design and the car is pretty sweet, I just don't get why the Ghost Rider name was applied?

Is it just marketing?
>>
>>81975585
>Is it just marketing?

That plays a big part in why the Big Two are more eager to reuse superhero "brand names" these days. The rationale is that it takes a whole lot of work, time, and plain old dumb luck for a "brand" to gain traction in popular culture. By trading in derivatives of a proven brand (like Ghost Rider) instead of investing in an all-new brand, Marvel is hoping to make inroads in what it believes are perhaps underserved markets with less risk and without expending as much creative capital.

In addition, slapping the name of a property they already own on a new character means that the risk of there being questions about character ownership down the line is negligible.

Such is the way of corporate-owned superhero comics.
>>
>>81976078
Makes sense, it's disappointing but it makes sense.
>>
>>81975585
>I kind of feel like this character design could have been used just to create something entirely original instead of just piggybacking on the Ghost Rider name.
It could have, but do you seriously think Marvel or DC would pass up on the opportunity to use name recognition to boost sales for new books?

Japan does it too, look a Gatchaman Crowds. It basically had fucking nothing to do with the original Gatchaman series, at first it was even supposed to be its own original series, but the Tatsunoko execs thought associating it with a known brand name would boost its popularity (and I think it kinda did) so they went ahead and named it "Gatchaman"
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.